• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ready or not I leave in a week....

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 SJPP-Cruz de Ferro
A change in circumstances in my life, and 3 weeks ago I decided to do the Camino Frances. Tickets booked via Madrid, pretty much will catch the last bus out of Pamplona to SJPP.
Did a 12.5 mile hike today, relatively flat, small pack. Feet OK but a few small blisters (just upgraded to better fitting shoes). I'm most concerned about stamina. I can do another 12 miler on wed but that'll be it.
anyone with words of wisdom about my fears?
I've already decided to do Valcarlos from SJPP, I'm willing to start out slow....
Looking forward to meeting the peregrinos in person!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Three cheers for you!
Hope you have a marvelous time.
Willing to start slow?
Be determined to start slow.
Regards
Gerard

Buen Camino @aliciag56, you will enjoy the Valcarlos route and for your first day it might be a good idea to stay the night in the village. The albergue is excellent with personal lockers, good showers, facilities for preparing your own food and the price for the night includes a continental-style breakfast laid out for the next morning. Lots of places to eat in the village and/or to buy food to carry with you for the following day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Its not a race, but for lots of first-timers, it feels like one. Many MANY unprepared pilgrims hobble into Logrono looking like they are nearing their end on the Bataan death march. Don't be one of them. Start slow, yes. How? Keep hydrated of course, but its all about blisters. Pay attention to your feet mostly. Don't wait until the next town to take off your socks and have a look.....do it as soon as you feel something is not right. When you find a hotspot, stop, tape it, put on dry socks, and head for the nearest Albergue. Change into your crocs/sandals if you can. Don't wait till it hurts, call it a day and rest your feet. As the days pass, your body will adjust, but it takes time. Some lucky folks can get away without much preparation, but most of us need to resist the urge to let the adrenaline dictate our pace for the first few weeks. This is particularly true for those north of 40, but even young people get blisters and tendinitis if they are not very careful. By the time you get to Leon, you should be able to walk six hours a day without too much trouble.

Buen Camino

Listen to your body, take care of any “hot spots “ on your feet as soon as you feel them, and go slow your first week or so. You will have your Camino legs in no time.
I agree with SEB, I really enjoyed the Valcarlos way and the municipal Albergue. Just remember, you will need supplies (food/water) for the next day. There was a small grocery store in 2016.
Enjoy your journey and Buen Camino!!

A change in circumstances in my life, and 3 weeks ago I decided to do the Camino Frances. Tickets booked via Madrid, pretty much will catch the last bus out of Pamplona to SJPP.
Did a 12.5 mile hike today, relatively flat, small pack. Feet OK but a few small blisters (just upgraded to better fitting shoes). I'm most concerned about stamina. I can do another 12 miler on wed but that'll be it.
I've already decided to do Valcarlos from SJPP, I'm willing to start out slow....
Wishing you a buen camino, aliciag56! Stamina is built up imperceptibly. To be honest I forget when the day dawned, but it isn’t magic. It is the accumulation of what happens both with your mind and your matter!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You’ll be fine. Just take it easy at the beginning, that’s the most important bit. Go at your own pace, stop when you need to. It’s only walking, it isn’t a race. There’s a saying ‘start like an old person, end up as a young one’ or something to that effect. I found it to be true ;)
Enjoy and buen camino.

Good luck Alicia....I've walked the Valcarlos way 3 times. Always stayed at the great newish Albergue( much cheaper than Orrison) where you get the code from main cafe in town. Be very careful with when to go on the green path as there's a lot of road walking if you miss turnoffs. SJPP pilgrim office has the map sheet. The 2nd day is around 12 klms and very steep, take 1 litre of water. Beautiful walking scenery. Maybe book Roncellvalous monastery as lots of people start there to miss the Pyrenees.
Have fun
Love

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_191554_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20180613_191554_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How wonderful @aliciag56! It doesn't matter if it's your first or your 19th time (in my case), starting is always exciting!

I also decided a couple of weeks ago and will be arriving next Sunday in Madrid then will bus to Pamplona and on to St. Jean. Luckily all in one day.

When will you be starting out?

Happy last minute planning. I have been wondering about the weather and choice of clothes.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ready or not? It's not "or", it's "both". You're ready AND you're not. That's how we all were/are.

I agree with the responses others have offered. My only addition is to recommend Compeed. In 2016 my wife started in SJPP and I met her in Leon. I never had blister problems, but she did. She used a combination of a small band-aid directly on the blister, and a larger Compeed patch over it. She was afraid that without the band-aid, the blister would be ripped apart when she removed the Compeed. I'm not sure that's the case, but what I am sure of is that the Compeed truly does form a "second skin" and kept her from getting more blisters.

Yes, stop and attend to any hot spot - that's a warning. And change your socks in the middle of each day's walk.

And Buen Camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back