• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ready to go!

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
Today I finally arrived in SJPdP. Torrential downpour, strong gusts of wind ... bit intermittent moments of less rain and finally: some sun :) even though the spells of sun are frequently interrupted by substantial rain, it gives at least some hope for to:)

Route Napoleon is closed, probably for days to come as there is heavy snowfall up in the mountains.

Waiting for my first pilgrims menu to be served just now. Looking forward to my first day tonorrow!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How did you manage to get a picture with no people on the street!?! 🙂

Buen camino!
That is a secret ;-)

No actually it was pouring rain an the sun only came out for a couple of minutes now and then. The trick is to take the photo after the rain but before people start crawling out of their shelters again ;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nice pictures.... what section was the snowy one? Behind you by several days. Flying Sunday, departing SJPdP on Wednesday. Looks like it's Valcarlos for us.

Buen Camino!

Nice pictures.... what section was the snowy one? Behind you by several days. Flying Sunday, departing SJPdP on Wednesday. Looks like it's Valcarlos for us.

Buen Camino!
The snowy bit was close to the highest point of the Valcarlos route.
So enjoy the way ... So much good food.. it is a bit like I am eating my way to Santiago :) ... but no worries, I will leave some for you ;-)

Leave me the pigs ears, roast suckling pig, and the pulpo!

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Today I met the first forum member on the Camino. I do not know her online name though ;-)

Weather wise it was a mixed day, sun,overcast and even snowfall.
Endet up in Espinal for the night.
View attachment 54388
View attachment 54389
View attachment 54390
View attachment 54391
Lovely photos!
How does one meet other forum members? Are there forum badges on clothing or backpacks ....members don't always have there faces showing.....do you just ask if they are a F Members
Anyway, buen Camino....
Love

Hi if the Napoleon route is closed is the Valcarlos route an alternative, as in does the Valcarlos route close when the Napoleon route closes?
Hope to cross from SJPDP to Roncesvalles Sunday Next April 14th.
Any help appreciated.
Buen Camino
Peter

The Napoleon route is higher, and while half of it is on paved road, sections of it are on a track. That means it is less accessible for rescue services, so it is safer to close it in winter months. The Valcarlos route goes through a valley which also has a main road, so it does not get closed. Some winter pilgrims have had to slog through snowdrifts in other years, but at this stage it should be ok on the Valcarlos route. The Pilgrim office in St Jean are very helpful and will have the most up to date advice.

Hi if the Napoleon route is closed is the Valcarlos route an alternative, as in does the Valcarlos route close when the Napoleon route closes?
Hope to cross from SJPDP to Roncesvalles Sunday Next April 14th.
Any help appreciated.
Buen Camino
Peter
When the Napoleon route is closed, the ValCarlos is the only walking route to Roncesvalles. It is open when the Napoleon is closed.
I suppose it is possible for the weather to be so bad that walking either route is not recommended.

When the Napoleon route is closed, the ValCarlos is the only walking route to Roncesvalles. It is open when the Napoleon is closed.
I suppose it is possible for the weather to be so bad that walking either route is not recommended.
Thanks for the Info.
Due to arrive April 13th, normally walk alone but will have a party of 4.
Should be interesting!
Thanks again.

Peter

Lovely photos!
How does one meet other forum members? Are there forum badges on clothing or backpacks ....members don't always have there faces showing.....do you just ask if they are a F Members
Anyway, buen Camino....
Love
Well, I think there are badges, but I do not have any. And I do not show my face properly on here either.
So this was discovered only by pure luck! We happened to have beds in the same room and later to have the pilgrims menu at a table of four. So you talk a lot and the suddenly It was discovered that I must be Arctic Alex ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok, the walk continued! With highs and lows of course ... ;-)
Quite a lot of rain, also real downpour and just two days ago I got caught in a thunderstorm with hail and heavy rain in the Meseta 50 km before Leon. I actually enjoyed that even though my trousers got soaked ;-)
A real low was when a nice fellow pilgrim who was severly sick passed his feverish cold on to me in an Albergue. I lived through 3 nights of fever myself, but stayed away from Albergues myself during that time. I consider it irresponsible to put other people recklessly in danger ... apparently others do not care. (I know your face mate! I hope for your sake we never meet again!)
Of course my daily mileage went down on the fever days, but still I am maintaining an 33k/day average since SJPdP.
Another low was two subsequent Albergues being still closed, opposing official information in all up-todate-lists. That forced me to walk 45k one day. A lot even for me ;-)
But overall a pleasant experience so far! Left Leon this morning.

Well, I think there are badges, but I do not have any. And I do not show my face properly on here either.
So this was discovered only by pure luck! We happened to have beds in the same room and later to have the pilgrims menu at a table of four. So you talk a lot and the suddenly It was discovered that I must be Arctic Alex ;-)
Thanks for replying to that Alex. As I've said I have now glued my forum badge on my bag, just pointing backwards. Bit of a laugh.....
Love

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations! I took 42 days with no rest days or illness to deal with - I knew you were going fast, but that was really fast. Glad you had a great time. You take great pictures. Enjoy Santiago!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.