• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ready to look at new footwear for Camino

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Previously a boot wearer., but have read lots of favourable info on the forum regarding Hoka one ones and also Altra lone peak trail shoes .,
I intend to include a mission to REI when I visit USA in a couple of weeks. They both ‘sound’ comfortable., but I realise the bottom line., they will have to suit my feet.
I have short broad feet and tend to have a variety of foot problems on each camino . So I’ve usually researched each time and have tried a number of wide toe box boots. I’ve never been completely blister free even in my comfy Keens. Wearing Merrell moab non goretex mids., I developed corns between final toes, (I feel they were not quite wide enough for MY foot )..

I’ve recently been wearing (generally) Brooks Ghost trail runners and they are really comfortable but not sure how sturdy the soles would be on rocky terrain.
So... I will check out a selection at REI shortly (USA have a larger selection than Sydney, IMO).

Whilst our resident forum footwear guru @davebugg was posting ., I followed each post and comment. We’re all missing him and I hope we see him back one day when he’s ready for us.
I am interested whether anyone has tried the Altras and the Hokas. I’m guessing they would be pretty much neck and neck .

I am appreciative of any feedback.
Ps. Next camino will be a section of VDLP. (starting in early April 19- and walking as far as 30 days takes me- not intending to complete in one go.. so don’t expect rugged terrain on that one., or too hard when switching to Sanabrés if I get that far )
Annie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am trying to wear out a pair of shoes on my walks at home, so I can justify trying those same shoes. My problem is my baby toes, which regularly get blisters on the Camino but never at home. I also have a fairly short wide foot, so I'll be following your investigations. :)

I can't help with the Hokas or Altras, Annie, as I am a keen Keen wearer.
But I will say that I have long since ditched boots for lighter footwear and couldn't be happier - first I walked in the Mckenzie and now Arroyo III (as the McKenzie has been phased out). Just field-tested the Arroyos with a longish hilly walk on a dodgy track, and am quite pleased with them.
Sandals are so much lighter and breatheable, so I get no blisters with them - and I have a very wide forefoot, prone to corns and blisters between the small toes. But even on the Camino I don't have so much trouble anymore, since I stopped walking in closed shoes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am interested whether anyone has tried the Altras and the Hokas. I’m guessing they would be pretty much neck and neck .

Ps. Next camino will be a section of VDLP. (starting in early April 19- and walking as far as 30 days takes me- not intending to complete in one go.. so don’t expect rugged terrain on that one., or too hard when switching to Sanabrés if I get that far )
Annie
Hi Annie,
I love my Hoka One one Tor Speed. Very light and super comfortable to walk in. I use them for Summer walks though, can’t tell how they would fare in Winter. The soles wore quickly though (well, quickly..., after about 1000 km) and they became quite slippery so am now on my second pair.
Of course this is highly subjective, what suits me may not suit you at all.
Worth trying imo. I am not sure where you live but they are quite difficult to find in the UK.

Last edited:
Hi Annie, if you already like a Brooks shoe, you might try on a pair of Brooks Cascadias at REI. Two years ago I walked Burgos-Santiago in a pair of Merrills (maybe Moab’s?) and had serious blister problems. They were size 7, a size larger than my regular shoes. This year I walked St. Jean to Santiago in size 8 Cascadias and had no problems.
Happy shopping, and all the best for your future Caminos.

You might want to try looking at men's shoes. Here in the US a normal width women's shoe is a "B". A normal width men's shoe is a "D". So a wide men's shoe is wider than a woman's wide shoe. Also, men's shoes have more room for toes. -- When you try on a shoe, take out the insole and put your foot on it. If your foot overlaps the insole (insert) the sides of the shoe will be pushing your foot into that insole's shape and rubbing against your foot. You also can't use your whole foot and all the muscles for walking if they are squished. -- I met with a sports doctor who told me that foot pain was the most common complaint from women my age (I'm 56.) He thought that my foot pain came from weak muscles because I hadn't used my feet (walked) much, and because the shoes I had been wearing had "supported" my feet in a way so that some muscles had atrophied. -- I wear men's Teva Kimtah, size 8 for walking-- My feet have grown strong and are a size and half bigger than they were before I walked my first camino.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Previously a boot wearer., but have read lots of favourable info on the forum regarding Hoka one ones and also Altra lone peak trail shoes .,
I intend to include a mission to REI when I visit USA in a couple of weeks. They both ‘sound’ comfortable., but I realise the bottom line., they will have to suit my feet.
I have short broad feet and tend to have a variety of foot problems on each camino . So I’ve usually researched each time and have tried a number of wide toe box boots. I’ve never been completely blister free even in my comfy Keens. Wearing Merrell moab non goretex mids., I developed corns between final toes, (I feel they were not quite wide enough for MY foot )..

I’ve recently been wearing (generally) Brooks Ghost trail runners and they are really comfortable but not sure how sturdy the soles would be on rocky terrain.
So... I will check out a selection at REI shortly (USA have a larger selection than Sydney, IMO).

Whilst our resident forum footwear guru @davebugg was posting ., I followed each post and comment. We’re all missing him and I hope we see him back one day when he’s ready for us.

Annie
I just bought the Ghosts about 8 weeks ago as well, so far they have been great, I imagine they will be fine for a Camino, as I do a lot more off-road walking at home than on a camino. I have short, wide feet as well, but apparently I have a very stable foot (in a family of pronators). I walked 2017 Camino in the version before these, similar but not as soft, and had a blister free camino. The big toe box is the solution, I bought them and walked 18km the next day with no issues at all even though my feet got wet. A good thing with the Ghosts is that they dry really quickly.
Brookes are the only shoes I can try on in the shop and have 100% comfort, and guaranteed no problems - its about finding the best shoe for your foot.

I wore Altra Timps on my last Camino after wearing Salomon Speedcross' for the first two.

I LOVED the Altras. I have a wide-ish forefoot and the Altra's felt beautifully roomy and spacious and the soles were comfy. (Received quite a few compliments on them as well, bit of an unexpected bonus). I really like zero-drop shoes and Altra seems to be one of very few brands that offer this.

The only negative of the Timps was their lack of grip on wet surfaces - i didn't feel completely secure. However reviews of the Lone Peak 4.0 say that the Lone Peak has drastically improved it's grippiness so I'll be giving them a go on the next round.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
thumbs up on both. my Altras, i forget which model, have this nice feature in which the rock plate under the normal insole can also be removed. this gives your foot a little more room and it makes the shoe softer. the Hokas will definitely give you a softer ride.

Annie

Good sandals (like Teva) are wonderful. No blister, no heat, no macération, no black toe ! And adjustable when feet swell.

Have been walking for 26 days now and so glad i chose sandals when i see the other people.

Annie

I'd say that boots are generally best for those with feet and ankle problems, or otherwise height above 6 feet or weight above 100 kilos as well as for all of those walking further than about 1200K, but what I generally recommend for the Francès alone to those with none of these issues are light hiking shoes, not boots, combining good waterproofness with comfortable size for one's toes and room enough for swelling inside one's socks and enough reliability to walk on blazing hot summer rocky surfaces, rain-drenched muddy ones, and yet simple enough that they don't weigh down your feet on every step (that my own army boots that I need to wear for my own problems always do).

Anyway, if your footwear is uncomfortable for your toes when you're wearing your thickest socks, then it's too small, and you need to up the size.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a lot of structural foot issues, and the Altra Lone Peaks worked amazingly well. I need a very wide toe box and zero rise shoes. The Altras felt like walking on clouds. I had no issues, blisters, or foot pain. Plus, they dry quickly when wet.

And for what it's worth, I have tried mens shoes for the width and they never worked for me -- heel too wide or the arch felt misplaced.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

My wife and I both wear the men's version of the Altra Lone Peaks. She has bunions and really appreciates the wide toe box. They have been extremely comfortable, and last fairly well. My current pair is starting to show some wear - slight delamination of sole at toe and some cracking of the fabric at 400+ miles, but I expect them to last at least to 500 miles before I replace them. The zero drop takes several weeks to get used to. Before the Altras, my wife wore Brooks Cascadias, and I'm sure your Brooks will be fine as far as standing up to the trail surfaces. My wife and I walked the Pacific Crest Trail (2600 miles) wearing trail runners with no problems. For most of that distance she was wearing Brooks Cascadias.

Annie
I wore Altra Zero and loved them! I bought a whole size bigger, used sock liners and Darn Tough wool socks. I suffered only one small heel blister mid way going over rocks on a downward trek. Can't say enough about my Altra's. ( I am a boot hiker too. So glad I went with the Altra's)

Should have added in my initial response, as others have mentioned, always get at least a half size larger than your normal pre hiking size. Also, we both wear only liner socks, so just a very thin sock.

""You might want to try looking at men's shoes. Here in the US a normal width women's shoe is a "B". A normal width men's shoe is a "D". So a wide men's shoe is wider than a woman's wide shoe. Also, men's shoes have more room for toes""
men's shoes also have a wider heel cup. despite my 2E feet fitting a men's toe box, the cup did not work for me even with insert in heel cup
I have used brooks and new balance for their wider choices (Alta not bad)

But look at the tread first : some trail runners don't have enough lug to be safe on gravel or slopes and (there are plenty of those!) eg Brooks Cascadia has heavier lugs than the Addiction

I’m on the Via Francigena right now. Three of us have the Altra Lone Peak 4 mids withe absolutely zero issues. No blisters or foot pain after 400k. I walked the CF with Altra Timps and also had zero foot issues. I like the mids better as they feel more snug around my heel.

I am another Altra convert, which I have said a million times now. But I did want to echo the comments of those who suggested trying a men’s shoe. I have worn men’s shoes for years for the wider toe box. Years ago, I had to get padding put in around my heel because the back of the shoe was too wide. My heel seems to have widened over the years if that is possible, but in any event I don`t need any adjustments now.

H

Annie
Hi Annie
I note all the discussion is on US makes. As I have been in the EU and walked trails like the VDLP the footwear worn by many Europeans is quite different.
There are two makes I know of that may worth looking for if you can find a stockist. Both are German and very old companies that manufacture in the EU. Both make a wider style. sometimes referred to as a bunion style in low cut as well as boots.
Meindl is the first and Hanwag the second. There footwear can be resolved also. There is a brief review of them on: caminowalkingguide.com.
I am currently on the CF again and trying a pair of Hanwag trail walking shoes. All good so far.
Hope this widens the choices of you can find a stockist.
Buen Camino
Happymark

My wife and I both wear the men's version of the Altra Lone Peaks. She has bunions and really appreciates the wide toe box. They have been extremely comfortable, and last fairly well. My current pair is starting to show some wear - slight delamination of sole at toe and some cracking of the fabric at 400+ miles, but I expect them to last at least to 500 miles before I replace them. The zero drop takes several weeks to get used to. Before the Altras, my wife wore Brooks Cascadias, and I'm sure your Brooks will be fine as far as standing up to the trail surfaces. My wife and I walked the Pacific Crest Trail (2600 miles) wearing trail runners with no problems. For most of that distance she was wearing Brooks Cascadias.
My 1st pair of Altras (3.0) have been my favorite and I put about 350 miles before they started showing wear. At about 450 mi. I traded them for Altra 3.5's and have about 200 miles on them now. When we walk in the Cascade and Olympic mountains. These are my choice for my next Camino next October. The are comfortable and require no break-in period.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good sandals (like Teva) are wonderful. No blister, no heat, no macération, no black toe ! And adjustable when feet swell.

Have been walking for 26 days now and so glad i chose sandals when i see the other people.

I carry Teva sandals for the albergues, but haven't walked in them during the day. Are your feet cold? Are your toes protected enough? Do you get stones under your foot? How is going up hill and down hill? -- I guess I should try them out on a hill near home here!

Annie

In June, 2016 I wore Altra Olympus 2.0 and, most recently, last June wore the Altra Timp, which to my mind is better than the Lone Peak model in that the Timp has a most wonderfully roomy toe box--all Altras have a roomy toe box (plus zero drop--which frankly I have not been able to tell the difference between zero drop and a conventional 6-12 mm drop), with the Simps seemingly the roomiest.

Anyway, both the Time and Olympus are soft and comfortable, although both the Olympus and Timp gave me blisters on the inside edge of my heel. On both feet! And in the very same spots, two years apart. On close inspection, I figured out that the rather sharp inside edges of the stock insoles caused the blisters. The blisters weren't that serious, but they were distracting.

But here is what I have concluded after 500 miles with the Olympus and 500 miles on the Timps: The next time I'm going to get a trail/running shoe with a rock plate--both Asics and New Balance have wide and extra wide shoes that are a bit more substantial (and with a rock plate or the equivalent) than Altra, or Hoka, which is out the question for me because Hoka has very few choices if you're looking for a roomy toe box.

But a section of the Camino like that from Cruz de Ferro down through Acebo into Molinaseca is quite uneven and rocky--enough that I felt rocks through the soles of both Altra models. Now, having said all this, do not take my comments about a rock plate as an endorsement of hiking boots. It's not. Hiking boots are simply overkill for the Camino. Dave Bugg has even provided a few links that explain that higher top boots don't really provide significant ankle support. I noticed on both Caminos that Spaniards (who make up almost half of those arriving in Santiago) seemed to get along fine with trainers--not even trail runners. This will sound doctrinaire but I have come to the conclusion that conventional hiking boots and a pack that weighs more than 15 lbs--frankly I don't think any of us need more than 12 lbs--are the two biggest impediments to completing the Camino.

On the 2016 Camino and on this most recent Camino, I took a totally unscientific poll about shoe satisfaction. By far, the best reviews were for Salomon. They are beautifully constructed shoes and I would dearly like to wear them, but they are for a standard width foot, and I need extra-wide.

One final shoe comment. Besides the two Camino, I have many miles and nights in the backcountry of both the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies stretching back decades. Good trail shoes these days are wearable right out of he box. When I hear someone describing a shoe that they expect to "break in so they will be comfortable" I cringe. If it ain't comfortable walking around REI, it is unlikely to become comfortable on the Camino. So, while there are exceptions to all the assertions I make here, I firmly believe that hiking shoes in 2018. should be comfortable the moment you put them on.

Wow, did one pair of Cascadias last your wife the whole 2600 miles?? I’ve got about 700 on mine and just ordered a new pair.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In coming curveball...Reebok trailgrip rs 5.0 gtx...I’m in the UK and tried on several pairs of trail runners like Solomon etc (all the popular stuff) I didn’t find any that were just right then I thought I normally wear Reebok trainers why not see if the do a trail runner and the do I’ve trialed them on the west Highland Way and many other walks in the last 6 months (over 500 miles of walking) and no blisters no problems...I guess what I’m saying is if you have a gym/running shoe that’s comfortable see if they do a trail runner they might just do

There are so many choices for footwear and what works for one may not work for another.
On my first two Camino's I wore boots and had blister issues on both, massive issues actually. Since then I have worn runners and trail shoes (Merrils).
On my recent Primitivo I wore cheap generic knock off trail shoes I got from Walmart. I had been wearing them just for local walks, working in the yard. They were super comfortable, so I figured I would give them a go on the Primitivo. Long story short I was completely blister free and my feet were in the best shape ever post Camino from these $35.00 shoes. I will buy another pair for my next Camino.
So the moral of the story is that you need to try on a lot of shoes and determine what works best for you personally.

I used anclehigh hoka onthe Invierno this year and loved them!

Attachments

• 174F6B74-EF02-4CF5-B4A5-77913B09ADDC.jpeg
    174F6B74-EF02-4CF5-B4A5-77913B09ADDC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
My wife has worn Altras for one of our caminos and La Sportivas for another. She prefers the Altras and they hold up well.

We finished the Camino Francais 10/5/18. As a fan of through hike youtube vlogers, I bought a pair of Altra long peak 3.5. They are tremendous on difficult forest trails. But I found them miserable on gravel paths and road surfaces. A week before the trip I bought Brooks Ghost. Wore those on the Camino and was pleased. I replaced midsoles with Dr. Schols inserts $24. No blisters no problems. Had Darn Tough, and Smart wool socks but, preferred Addidas compression socks from Costco (about $3 pair).
One thing I realize now is not to insist on the latest model of a shoe. Usually, the previous model is great and is now discounted steeply.
Biggest tip is buy shoes at least a half size larger than your usual. After 10 or more miles it's natural for feet to swell.
But, everyone I spoke to loved their choice of shoe or boot. Some people just wore flip flop sandals.
Ted

I tried on the Altra Lone Peak but found it a bit too loose in the heel for me. Instead, I chose the Altra Olympus as it fit better, had much more cushioning which is better for my foot style, and has a vibram sole which has excellent traction.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tried hiking shoes (merrell) but ended up with blisters as I tried to beak them in. So I switched (very happily) to trail running shoes, INNOV-8. Worked well for me.

I love my Altras, which I alternate with Chaco sandals on the Camino. I wear the Men's Altras, which are even wider than the women's. If you get blisters between your toes, you may have to tape them or use those little gel sleeves. For blisters on the outside of the little toe, I recommend Engo pads https://goengo.com/ which are adhered to the inside of your shoe and stop the friction. They hold up for the whole Camino and more.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too have always worn boots however this year I tried Merrel walking shoes and found out the hard way they are not for me. I tend to walk fairly quickly and average 30 - 35 k per day, With the shoes, on the second day my left achilles tendon was tender and of course I walked another 30 k on day three to make sure that I damaged it properly. :)

After three months and now that my tendon has healed I have returned to wearing my Meindl Vakuum boots without further problems.

I doubt if sandals would work for me either. I regularly stubb my toes on uneven paths and am sure that my toes would be badly bruised without the propection of a boot or shoe.,

I think the lesson is that we all have different needs not just preferences.

I too have always worn boots however this year I tried Merrel walking shoes and found out the hard way they are not for me. I tend to walk fairly quickly and average 30 - 35 k per day, With the shoes, on the second day my left achilles tendon was tender and of course I walked another 30 k on day three to make sure that I damaged it properly. :)

After three months and now that my tendon has healed I have returned to wearing my Meindl Vakuum boots without further problems.

I doubt if sandals would work for me either. I regularly stubb my toes on uneven paths and am sure that my toes would be badly bruised without the propection of a boot or shoe.,

I also stubb my toes when wearing boots but when wearing sandals I have never bruised any toes. The sole takes the hit never the toes. And I have hiked quite a lot on uneven paths on the camino and at home over the years. And I walk fast and averaged 38.3 km/day on my latest 1530 km camino. Why not buying a pair and try at home? I love my Teva Tirra. But they are not for anyone as you say.

I am trying to wear out a pair of shoes on my walks at home, so I can justify trying those same shoes. My problem is my baby toes, which regularly get blisters on the Camino but never at home. I also have a fairly short wide foot, so I'll be following your investigations. :)
I had the same problem on the camino last year. I have bought a pair of the altra lone pine 3.5 and love them! They are on sale now as the new 4.0 are out. You should try them.

€149,-

Annie
I haven't done a Camino yet, but I walk daily five-six miles on local hills with some rocky terrain. I wear Hoka One-Ones and love them. My foot is high arched and a little wide at the ball. I wore them on a four mile hike straight out of the box and didn't get a blister. No blisters so far, but the longest hike I've done with them is seven miles. It really does depend on your foot. Merrells and Keens both made my knees hurt. I think the big difference is the arch. While my arch is high, my daughter's is much higher, and Hoka is the only running/hiking shoe her feet tolerate. Hope this helps.

Annie
Just returned, walked from Lourdes to Burgos, in a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5 mid-mesh. Ankles support up front, very low cut in the back to leave my achilles free. I stuck with women's sizing, as while my forefoot is relatively wide, my heel is quite narrow. I had to order them from the US & had them shipped to the UK, but price-wise it worked out rather well, as I bought at a sale price. Very happy with them, the only problem probably due to the fact that I removed the insoles and replaced them with a pair that did not have as wide a profile as the boot, so I did develop a small blister on my right bunion in the last few days, which may also have been the result of the change in the shape of my foot over the course of the walk. I normally walk in boots, but watching Camino videos on YouTube, I noticed that those who walked in boots all began to complain about achilles pain halfway through their walk. Zero-drop was not a problem, problems with back, hips and knees actually went away after a few days.

Annie

Annie

Hi OzAnnie,
After reading all of the replies to your post it seems there are some good suggestions for you to try. My husband and I hiked as far as Leon last spring, but had to stop when I developed Achilles tendonitis. I have hiked for years in Keen Targhee IIs, and use Hoka One One Bondi 2 for neighborhood walks but was concerned about durability on the Camino. After reading reviews and trying alternatives I had purchased Lowa Renegades. I have bunions after 40 years of nursing, and weak ankles so I feel I need a boot for support, but the Renegades despite being broke in gave me nothing but trouble. I blame myself that perhaps I didn't give them enough time or maybe a bigger size would work, but like you I am now looking at other options for our return to finish our Camino next April.
A couple of things that were not mentioned by others that might also help: I have become a fan of toe socks. They take a bit of time to get used to but, the toe separation reduces the chance of blisters between the toes, especially if you have bunions that force the toes together. Another consideration is the use of something called a ToePro prior to leaving for the Camino. A Physical Therapist friend recommended this device ($45 online), to strengthen the muscles of the feet, and in my case help heal the Achilles.
Good luck with your search,
Sandy from Colorado

€149,-
IMHO. KURU. Shoes are the best. Wide. Amazing heel stabilty. Very comfortable. BC

On my first Camino, had the same problem with my baby toes ... horrible blisters. For my 2nd, found "silicone toe sleeves" - worked GREAT - No blisters Wore them every day !images.jpg

Act Fast if interested.

The Altra Lone Peaks are on sale at REI with VERY limited quantities and sizes. The women's shoe had size 7 available yesterday but those are now gone leaving only size 6 and 6.5. You might want to "risk" ordering a pair to be sent to your friends you are visiting in the US. You can always return them if the size is wrong when you get here.

REI

Altra Lone Peak 3.5 Trail-Running Shoes - Women's
sizes 6 and 6.5 $59 on sale, normal price $120

Altra Lone Peak 3.0 Polartec Neoshell Trail-Running Shoes - Men's Size 8 only - $79 on sale, normal price $150

MOOSEJAW - click on Moosejaw also, not on sale now but may go on sale soon as they clear out the 3.5 for the 4.0

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love my Altra Timp Trails! But when I did the Camino Portuguese I ended up getting Oboz Luna trail shoes because I heard about all the cobblestone I would be walking on. I am so glad I did! I have Plantar Fasciitis and wanted extra protection from the hard ground. My friend who went with me also had Altra Timp Trails and wore them the whole time with no problems. Neither of us got any blisters!

I have bought some shoes!!!

I had tried the famous Altra Lone Peak, but they simply weren't the right shape for my foot. They have a wide toe box but not enough volume for my high instep. When I sized up, the proportions weren't quite right.
I was trying to wait until I properly wore out my last pair. (They are well on the way, but still have a few km.) But I found these Topo Terraventure trail running shoes and couldn't resist. They are very lightweight and feel like nothing on my foot, but then I wonder if my foot might want more padding. I need to test them at an indoor mall.

The shoe has a wide toe box, a 3 mm heel-to-toe drop (as opposed to the Altra zero drop) and they even come in a nice colour! If you are buying online, keep in mind that they might run a bit small - I got a 1/2 size bigger than my usual Salomons and they are the same length but wider.

€60,-
Hi,

I did my first Camino 9/18 and spend a lot of time trying on shoes/ boots/ sandals. My feet are like Fred Flintstones ... Wide large and flat. Zappos became my best friend as I ordered and returned pair after pair of footwear ( I live 120mi from the nearest city so this was my only way to shop). I had a pair of Keens but the new ones felt stiff and heavy...tried Hokas but not comfortable, convinced the Alta Lone Peaks would be the one but didn't fit right,..Literally after a good 30 pairs of various options I decided on Teva Omnium sandals. They are closed toe so keep the stones out have a good tread for grip and are adjustable to help with swelling. I walked in these everyday except for my two plane days and two other off days. They worked great! I'm not a hiker and have very soft feet... I wore merino wool socks and did not get one blister! I think they allowed my feet to breath. Despite some the hot weather my feet stayed dry! We only had one day of light rain so I can't comment how well they'd work when wet. I carried a send pair of NB trainers that I'd wear in the evening. Everyone truly is different! Try on several types of shoes spend time walking around at home before you decide. I'm sure you will find something that fits is supportive and will endure. Good luck!
Buen Camino

I have some Keen Arroyo hiking sandals which are just great for bushwalking around Perth in warm weather. But what about those wet conditions on the Camino next May? No-one has discussed problems with muddy puddles or driving rain. Is it a matter of wearing gaiters, or changing into dry socks mid way through the day?

I have bunions after 40 years of nursing, and weak ankles so I feel I need a boot for support,

Hi Sandy, just as an aside to this thread, there are a couple of good posts by our resident gear expert @davebugg that report the research and conclude that boots do not provide stability and support the ankle. The only exception appears to be ski boots, but of course that’s out of the question. Here is a link to one of his posts. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ew-old-modality-of-walking.56153/#post-630471

I think, though I am not an expert by any stretch, that the boots could have been one of the causes of the tendonitis. With so much pavement on the Camino Francés, many people now wear trail runners. There are many different brands for all types of feet, but this year after 18 years of wearing hiking boots or hiking shoes, I went to trail runners, and the cushioning was heavenly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow. .. Many thanks to all of you. I do appreciate the feedback.
There are so many great suggestions to work through to make a shortlist.
I am in USA now and the window to shop at REI for me happens sat afternoon nov 17th. !!!
I’ll have a 16mth old granddaughter with me (running about the store) so don’t envisage being able to do a lot of test driving .. we will see.
I’m hoping to find something that feels right on me out of all this or stay with the Brooks Ghosts I have already.

Annie

Wow. .. Many thanks to all of you. I do appreciate the feedback.
There are so many great suggestions to work through to make a shortlist.
I am in USA now and the window to shop at REI for me happens sat afternoon nov 17th. !!!
I’ll have a 16mth old granddaughter with me (running about the store) so don’t envisage being able to do a lot of test driving .. we will see.
I’m hoping to find something that feels right on me out of all this or stay with the Brooks Ghosts I have already.
Annie
Do try the Topo Terraventure. I am still testing them in the house, but they feel fabulous.

I have some Keen Arroyo hiking sandals which are just great for bushwalking around Perth in warm weather. But what about those wet conditions on the Camino next May? No-one has discussed problems with muddy puddles or driving rain. Is it a matter of wearing gaiters, or changing into dry socks mid way through the day?
I wear the lightest socks I can find and it they get wet, it doesn't matter so much. The joy of sandals (or water shoes, which is what I've worn on my last 3 caminos) is that you can plow into deep mud and so what? Rinse 'em off at the end of the day, then take a shower, and all is well.
Happy REI shopping, @OzAnnie ! Lucky you.

€60,-
I wear the lightest socks I can find and it they get wet, it doesn't matter so much. The joy of sandals (or water shoes, which is what I've worn on my last 3 caminos) is that you can plow into deep mud and so what? Rinse 'em off at the end of the day, then take a shower, and all is well.
Happy REI shopping, @OzAnnie ! Lucky you.
I agree. I found sandals perfect for walking in the rain and mud. So much easier to clean and dry than a pair of shoes. I didn't even change my socks when they got wet. If they were really soggy I wrung them out and put them back on. I was worried that I would get blisters from soggy feet, but I didn't. I did make sure to check my feet often for signs of blisters though.

The joy of sandals (or water shoes, which is what I've worn on my last 3 caminos) is that you can plow into deep mud and so what? Rinse 'em off at the end of the day, then take a shower, and all is well.
Don’t you get very cold feet? And how about downhill walks - no black toenails?
Thanks for your comment :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They do have waterproof socks you could try out. I think they’d be hot though. I decided that if my feet got too wet I would just change socks.

My REI visit complete.
What I found follows, but buttom line : I came out with the Altra Lone Peak 4. (Not really what I expected to do).

My choice is based only on my weird shaped feet so please don’t take the following as advice! Check out what feels good for you. The suggestions given on this thread have directed me to a good selection to try.

@C clearly I’m glad you found the right shoe for your feet. I tried the Topo terraventure.. they looked nice and felt okay but a niggling feeling on the side pressing against my little toes. I had the sense when I flexed my feet that this would annoy me on the road.

@Margaret Butterworth and @VNwalking and others that recommended sandals / REI did not have the Keen Arroyos for me to try.
Also as i will be starting VDLP early April I feel it will be fairly cool down south so did not pursue the sandals today. It is still a great option for warmer caminos though.

@Liz from San Diego I was able to try the Oboz and they felt firm and supportive but I have other unused shoes at home that feel similar. I want to try walking in a more comfy shoe this time. (as I mentioned above., just me. )

@twh Thankyou for heads up on sale at REI for Altras. I didn’t want this to be a grab and run on my part.. I know it would have meant someone else needing to do the returning for me if they were unsuitable. As it turned out the Altra Lone peak 4’s I ended up with were priced at US$120 ., I managed to use my daughter in law’s member 20% disc (finishes 19/11). on one item. So they were US$96+ the US sales tax of 8.25% all up paid US$104.

@jerbear This REI store didn’t have the Kuru you recommended I try -

Neither did thIs REI store have Meindl brand .

@svanv Thankyou for the input. I’ve worn keen before and ready for change. Also tried toe socks before. They annoyed me . Also, on the camino on which I used them., I had to take to the ankles band with scissors to cut the band off. I need looser tops as my ankles are thicker than I’d like, and firm bands cut into me and create a balloon effect and (swelling).

@C.C. re the suggestion for toe sleeves to help stop blisters developing. Possibly works for some feet. I found with trying many of these things that they just added to the width that my wide feet already need in the toe box. Just squished and annoyed me.

On Le Puy camino in 2016 I wore Merrell Moab which were comfortable for a while. Unfortunately over time carrying pack and hot underfoot they proved too narrow and I developed corns between the little toe and 4th toe. It halted my walking altogether by SJpdP .

@Opa Theo Some good points. I’m glad I had my Brooks Ghosts with me. I took my inner sole out and comparing it to the inner sole on both the Hoka One One Bondi 6 and Altra lone peak 4’s the shape and width in the perfect spot seemed better on the Brooks ghost. I will definitely look into your sock ideas.
For the record , I have learned some time ago through this forum to allow larger shoe size for trail walking to allow for foot expansion from heat etc and leave room for toe wiggle and socks.

@Laurie Sanantone and @backpack45scb and @Nanc - I looked at Brooks cascadia as I thought these may have been perfect considering the advice the Brooks site gives when you key in your particular body and feet details. However, REI didn’t have the wide fitting available today to try so i tried the regular width and of course they didn’t shape up for me.

The Hoka one ones Bondi 6 were looking to be the winner for me initially. They felt great.
However they felt a little too snug. Even with much larger fitting. I’m not experienced enough in fitting shoes to know why, but something was telling me that even though the ‘snug’ felt supportive - it may prove (in my case) to not have enough wiggle room for me over long hours each day. I alternated from the Altras to the hokas 3 times., plus tried one on each foot to feel the difference.

The Altras did have one slight thing as a negative when I compared the inner sole to that of my
Brooks Ghosts. The Ghosts came up and curved a little to sort of ‘cuddle ‘ the bunion area. The Hoka and Altras inner sole is rather flat. I will look further into other inner soles later.

The Altras - I was surprised that they felt like comfy slippers in a way. Looked pretty good too. I was expecting a weird feel for ‘zero drop’. I hadn’t understood what it meant and thought it would be weird walking to start with. No worries. It feels quite normal. Of course you notice the difference when you wear Hoka on one foot and Altras on the other.
However , I’m going to put my faith in some of the comments given above about zero drop and that it won’t prove to be my undoing after long distances.

I don’t walk until next April 2019 so I will have time to give them a good test and if necessary., wear alternatives. Maybe even the ghosts.

Laurie @peregrina2000 on the thread following, you obtained a response from our wonderful @davebugg about comparison between hokas and Altras.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...list-checkoffs-for-the-day.57771/#post-660333

If you scroll up on that thread you’ll see his detailed response on both shoes. It gave me a lot of food for thought and I was really expecting to end up with the hokas.

My feeling after trying both myself is that the space for wiggle room, bunion space etc in the Altras is a lot more comfortable.
I know you also have problem feet and will be interested in your thoughts when or if you find the opportunity to try the hokas for fit.

Thankyou to everyone who gave me their opinion. I value all your comments.

I will in due course., report back after I’ve given them a decent work out with backpack etc.

Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:
Wonderful, Annie! May they work for you. I'm surprised they had no Arroyos, but maybe winter is upon them and it's a seasonal thing.
@C.C. re the suggestion for toe sleeves to help stop blisters developing. Possibly works for some feet. I found with trying many of these things that they just added to the width that my widenfeet already need in the toe box. Just squished and annoyed me.
I have the same experience (also with toe socks). Perhaps for people with narrower feet these work, but for me they immediately make any shoe too tight in the forefoot. I now use micropore paper tape, occasionally supplemented by lamb's wool, and it works brilliantly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Same exact situation as me. I walked the Primitivo in Merrel hiking shoes and though I had no blisters, I hobbled the last week into Santiago with Achilles tendinitis, a Morton’s neurona, and worst of all- a bad case of plantar fasciitis. Something that I never suffered from in 20 years of hiking.
Going back to my Vasque boots for my April walk on the Invierno. Like you said, everyone’s feet and needs are different.

I too am now a convert to walking in running shoes in warmer dry months. On my 4th camino (Pamplona to Leon June 2018) I ran some of the sections (run/walk approach e.g. ran 5-8km then walked the next 10k am, then repeat pm.) I wore a pair of "retired"Asics running shoes (Gel Pulse 8), retired meaning no good for long distance running anymore (half or full marathon distances) because they lose their cushioning effect (i.e. 800km plus running kms.) Running shoes use very hardwearing materials so even with 800km on the clock it means my old ones can still have a second life for walking. Very comfortable and no blisters, plus fantastic ventilation. The downside is they are not water resistant at all (mesh uppers). In future I'll only wear my Keen boots (my avatar picture) on a winter camino purely for their waterproofing, warmth and extra grip in mud. There are very few sections on the Frances that require boots with ankle protection - there are very few places where one could get a rock jam ankle injury or need to traverse steep laterally sloping rockfaces/slabs, shale/slate/boulders scree etc (alto de Perdon decent -500m? Molinaseca descent 200m? and a few very short sections of 20-50m here and there) My running shoes are always bought 1 size bigger than my everyday shoes.

@C clearly I’m glad you found the right shoe for your feet.
Unfortunately I've decided that the Topo Terraventure won't work for me. I took them to an indoor mall to do a test walk. I transferred my orthotics into the shoe and all felt perfect. These shoes have a 3 mm heel-to-toe drop, as opposed to the Altra zero drop, or more traditional drop of over 10 mm. I walked briskly for 20 minutes and loved the fit of the shoe, the light weight, the natural feel, everything. But, I couldn't ignore the fact that the ball of my left foot had become slightly sore - the big joint at the base of my big toe. I waited a week or so and did another trial with the same results.

I couldn't think why this would be the case, when the toe box was very roomy and the cushioning seemed similar to my other shoes. I googled all over about low-drop shoes and couldn't find any reference to any problem except maybe overstretching the achilles and calf. That wasn't my problem.

However, I now have a theory that might explain why a few millimeters lower heel-to-toe drop shoe is not for me.

I have a fairly high arch, flexible foot with some overpronation. (Yes, apparently they sometimes go together.) In the lower drop shoe, my foot needs to roll up more, over the ball of my foot, to transfer my weight. That caused soreness in that joint. With a slightly higher heel position, combined with my supportive orthotics, I can transfer my weight forward without so much stress on that joint. It is rather like how it is hard to rise to a standing position from a low chair, if you have bad knees; it is easier to rise from a higher seat.

Next time I see a podiatrist, I will ask if this makes sense. In the meantime, I'm curious if anyone has comments. (Nobody in my household is interested in my minor foot soreness and my theory about it. )

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unfortunately I've decided that the Topo Terraventure won't work for me. I took them to an indoor mall to do a test walk. I transferred my orthotics into the shoe and all felt perfect. These shoes have a 3 mm heel-to-toe drop, as opposed to the Altra zero drop, or more traditional drop of over 10 mm. I walked briskly for 20 minutes and loved the fit of the shoe, the light weight, the natural feel, everything. But, I couldn't ignore the fact that the ball of my left foot had become slightly sore - the big joint at the base of my big toe. I waited a week or so and did another trial with the same results.

I couldn't think why this would be the case, when the toe box was very roomy and the cushioning seemed similar to my other shoes. I googled all over about low-drop shoes and couldn't find any reference to any problem except maybe overstretching the achilles and calf. That wasn't my problem.

However, I now have a theory that might explain why a few millimeters lower heel-to-toe drop shoe is not for me.

I have a fairly high arch, flexible foot with some overpronation. (Yes, apparently they sometimes go together.) In the lower drop shoe, my foot needs to roll up more, over the ball of my foot, to transfer my weight. That caused soreness in that joint. With a slightly higher heel position, combined with my supportive orthotics, I can transfer my weight forward without so much stress on that joint. It is rather like how it is hard to rise to a standing position from a low chair, if you have bad knees; it is easier to rise from a higher seat.

Next time I see a podiatrist, I will ask if this makes sense. In the meantime, I'm curious if anyone has comments. (Nobody in my household is interested in my minor foot soreness and my theory about it. )
@C clearly That’s a nuisance for you, but better now than later.
I think we are all interested here in how others ‘feel ‘ the shoe fits. We are all the guinea pigs for shoe manufacturers surely?

I’ve brought my Altras back with me from USA but I still need to give them a decent test. (With backpack and over a decent walk).
I’ve never walked in zero drop shoes before so if they do indeed not live up to my hopes I will purchase the Hoka one Bondi .. it was a toss up.

Good luck with the theory though and your search for right fit for you.
Annie

Because I was going to be walking a near winter camino I thought I'd try shoes, after years of walking in sandals. Tried the Altra Lone Peaks. After trialling them bushwalking they are now sitting in the cupboard. The toe box is wide, but the mid foot area was not wide enough, and my foot was overhanding the sole, and the heel was too wide. Obviously I've got weird feet.

So it was back to my Ecco sandals to walk the Portuguese. With Dexshell waterproof socks to protect from extreme cold. That combination works well for me except for one thing. And here I need advice.

I fell over twice, and both times it was related to the sandals slipping on wet cobbles or stone sets. @VNwalking you talked about water sandals - what you you wear? I would love to find sandals that grip well in the wet.

Because I was going to be walking a near winter camino I thought I'd try shoes, after years of walking in sandals. Tried the Altra Lone Peaks. After trialling them bushwalking they are now sitting in the cupboard. The toe box is wide, but the mid foot area was not wide enough, and my foot was overhanding the sole, and the heel was too wide. Obviously I've got weird feet.

So it was back to my Ecco sandals to walk the Portuguese. With Dexshell waterproof socks to protect from extreme cold. That combination works well for me except for one thing. And here I need advice.

I fell over twice, and both times it was related to the sandals slipping on wet cobbles or stone sets. @VNwalking you talked about water sandals - what you you wear? I would love to find sandals that grip well in the wet.
I bought these Merrell All Out Blaze Sieve Water Sandals, which I know that @intrepidtraveler used this year on the Via de la Plata. They have a Vibram sole, and are very comfortable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you @trecile - I'll try then although I usually have problems with my very tiny small toe sticking out the side with sandals with more than one front piece. My Ecco sandals have a very tough sole (not Vibram but similar) and show no signs of wear after 1000 km - but I know from experience that they do slip.

After writing the post this morning I searched online and found a special compound that can be painted on the bottom of shoes (any type of sole) to stop slipping in icy conditions. Sounds worth trying.

Ah. I think I'll try the grippy stuff on my Ecco sandals.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe, but it is worth trying. I'm being overcautious - both my slips on the Portuguese were on steep sloping wet stone sets. Not a surface and conditions I come across often. The sandals are not at all worn, and are supposed to be anti slip - they look like new with deep "treads" in the sole.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You might look into the New Balance line. They come in widths from A (extremely narrow) to 4E (extremely wide) I wear the NB 1300. It's a trail walking shoe that has a steel shank, great cushioning, extremely well built soles. I where a U.S. size 12 2E and no other shoe has ever been as comfortable for me.
https://www.newbalance.com/. They also make a trail boot called the 1400 that I've used that has the same features. Good luck.. Happy feet equals happy trails.

No - New Balance don't work either - too wide in the heel. Lacing does not work as it is width where the sole meets the side that is too big. I get blisters there.

I love my Off-Road Ecco sandals and they are comfortable.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.