• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Real life friends - Camino friends - Soul friends?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
In peace and quiet up here in the Arctic, as darkness is about to engulf us for the coming winter, and the first snow has already fallen, I, as an experienced pilgrim, write this, mostly for all the good people who are about to embark onto their first Camino, for whatever reason. But a warning: You may set out with one reason for doing the Camino, but you will most likely complete the Camino for a completely different reason... You have an adventure of your life ahead of you.

I hope you have many real life friends: I have a few - not many. My choice. Today, I find that many people close to me are still obsessed with values that I once shared. Values that are not lasting... But now, after my first Camino in 2009, I have a different focus. It will, hopefully, be the same for you. I wish that for you, and salute you.

Do you have many Camino friends? I feel I have.

Isn't it strange? You can sometimes resonate more with people you have never met or seen, from the other side of the world, literally, than with people close to you physically. At least, that is how I feel sometimes. Why is it so?

We share a common experience: The Camino. It truly is a crazy experience and journey into insight, if you allow it. For most/all newbies, rest assured: At the end of your Camino, you will come out as a different person. Perhaps that is why we who have walked can resonate and interact so closely together; well, as least that's what I feel. We share common experience and knowledge harvested.

With some in here, I can feel almost a physical bond to that person, although I have never met him/her. Strange. I am quite sure (self-confident...) that it goes the other way around too. At least I hope so. I call these persons my Camino friends. They understand, because inside, we share something great/strange: Our struggle and our renewed thoughts by walking the Camino. I salute you, my Camino forum friends.

And I actually believe that these persons know who they are, when they read these reflections. For all the rest: Enjoy this invaluable forum, search, read, learn, and one day, when you have completed your first Camino, and when some of what you found on the Way has sunk in, we may become:

Soul friends

I shall not elaborate. When you know it you know it. Walk first. ;)

I could say a lot more about this, but I choose not to: I'd rather hear your opinion.

Ahh,
PS:
A good friend is someone you'll se standing beside you on a rainy day.
A bad friend is like your shadow: When the sun shines, it is impossible to get rid of him. But on a cloudy day, you will never see him.
DS

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"In the Celtic Spiritual tradition, it is believed that the soul radiates all about the physical body,what some refer to as an aura. When you connect with another person and become completely open and trusting with that individual, your souls begin to flow together. Should such a deep bond be formed, it is said you have found your Anam Cara or soul friend/friends."(quote from John O'Donahue Anam Cara)("/friends". my inclusion).
Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How right you are Alex, I too feel closer to people I have met on the Camino or I have met on this forum than many of the people I have known for years. I find I don't have the same need for material things either, I still might like them but I know that I don't need them. I had a few strange experiences on the Camino in so far as I met people who I felt immediately that I knew or had met before but knew that was impossible as they were from other parts of the world. Its a lovely experience, bask in it while you can.

Last edited:
Alexwalker, you and I have never met but we must be friends as we share same friendship sentiments. I leave for my 4th Camino tomorrow coming from Canada where the temp is also promising another winter season. This year it's the Via Francigena from northern Italy to Rome along with 3 Camino friends that I have just met over the last 3 years but share the Camino brotherhood. Take care .... friend!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There are friends...and Camino friends. With some of the latter, I keep in touch sporadically, even sometimes we arrange an always emotive meeting when we travel and it happens that we will be more or less near. But others whom I walked many days, and shared good days (even talks about personal issues and views about life) did not offer their e-mails when we parted days, and actually seemed a bit reluctant to do so. In some cases it would not be difficult to find them (the cook of a restaurant in a little village, a teacher in a certain school), but I have chosen not to. For many persons, that belongs to Camino should stay there, not in "real" life. There is a magic, an openness, a kind of special friendship, that can't always survive in daily, “normal” routines. I understand this point, and respect it.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In peace and quiet up here in the Arctic, as darkness is about to engulf us for the coming winter, and the first snow has already fallen, I, as an experienced pilgrim, write this, mostly for all the good people who are about to embark onto their first Camino, for whatever reason. But a warning: You may set out with one reason for doing the Camino, but you will most likely complete the Camino for a completely different reason... You have an adventure of your life ahead of you.

I hope you have many real life friends: I have a few - not many. My choice. Today, I find that many people close to me are still obsessed with values that I once shared. Values that are not lasting... But now, after my first Camino in 2009, I have a different focus. It will, hopefully, be the same for you. I wish that for you, and salute you.

Isn't it strange? You can sometimes resonate more with people you have never met or seen, from the other side of the world, literally, than with people close to you physically. At least, that is how I feel sometimes. Why is it so?

We share a common experience: The Camino. It truly is a crazy experience and journey into insight, if you allow it. For most/all newbies, rest assured: At the end of your Camino, you will come out as a different person. Perhaps that is why we who have walked can resonate and interact so closely together; well, as least that's what I feel. We share common experience and knowledge harvested.

With some in here, I can feel almost a physical bond to that person, although I have never met him/her. Strange. I am quite sure (self-confident...) that it goes the other way around too. At least I hope so. I call these persons my Camino friends. They understand, because inside, we share something great/strange: Our struggle and our renewed thoughts by walking the Camino. I salute you, my Camino forum friends.

And I actually believe that these persons know who they are, when they read these reflections. For all the rest: Enjoy this invaluable forum, search, read, learn, and one day, when you have completed your first Camino, and when some of what you found on the Way has sunk in, we may become:

Soul friends

I could say a lot more about this, but I choose not to: I'd rather hear your opinion.

Ahh,
PS:
A bad friend is like your shadow: When the sun shines, it is impossible to get rid of him. But on a cloudy day, you will never see him.
DS
I didn't collect email addresses along the Way and have received only one from another pilgrim since my return a year ago. But all the people I met will be with me always, on the Camino. Part of being present and letting go.

Sandy

Soul friends

Ahh,
PS:
DS
Hello Alex: I share your thoughts, opinions and wishes in this post. As I read it, I thought, every word could have been written by myself because I too went to Spain to walk the Camino Frances for a reason only to discover while in Fromista during afternoon prayer that I was there for another reason; one that made me a better person when I returned. I, like you, also have few close friends (my choice as well). The value system that I have now was learned during my time in Spain and for that I am grateful. The Camino, I have often said to those who asked me what it was like, is difficult to put into words because it is something you can feel so strongly in your heart yet be tongue tied when it comes down to defining the experience. The Camino does feel like a magnet to me of like minded people who share a desire for the spiritual (not necessarily the religious) where sharing, learning, and giving is the normal system of values and not the exception of the world I live in. Going back to walk the Camino feels like going home, and who doesn't look forward to that? John

Beautiful words, John (The name of my son, actually). Thanks. You see, there's a saying, which many pilgrims can testify to:

The Camino will give you what you need, not what you want.

The Camino is a strong teacher for those who listen to it: You obviously did, and you obviously got it.

And yes, I prefer spiritual to religious as a description/explanation.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Such a good thread everyone, and such good, true thoughts. Two years after my first Camino I'm still in touch with many I met there, though as time goes on, a bit more sporadically. However, I know that should I end up in their country, or they in mine, that the bond would be reestablished quickly, as though no time had elapsed. Such was the magic/blessing of the Camino. The only way I can really understand it is to believe that being stripped down to nothing but a backpack and the clothes we wear we're able to be more authentic to ourselves and others, which in turn creates a closeness we don't usually find in our daily lives. Now if I could just get better with applying that "stripping down" mentality to the material things in my life. Truly less is more, but it sure is a struggle sometimes.

So true, Alex. I am a different person since doing my first Camino this summer, more of the person I always wanted to be.

Should such a deep bond be formed, it is said you have found your Anam Cara or soul friend/friends."
I have always loved the term, "Anam Cara" and had forgotten it though at one time I used it as my screen name. Thank you for reminding me...

I find I don't have the same need for material things either, I still might like them but I know that I don't need them.
This is one of my favorite after affects of the Camino.

After reading everything that has been said so far, I just want to thank you all for expressing how I also feel about what happens on the Camino. Buen Camino
Ditto.

I leave for my 4th Camino tomorrow coming from Canada where the temp is also promising another winter season. This year it's the Via Francigena from northern Italy to Rome along with 3 Camino friends that I have just met over the last 3 years but share the Camino brotherhood.
Wow, EF, that's wonderful to hear. Some of my Camino friends and I are talking about doing the Norte together next summer; it's inspiring that someone is actually reuniting on a camino! Buen Camino! (P.S. My mom did several days of the Francigena in the spring and said it was one of the most spiritual experiences she had ever had.)

I met my soulmate at the Camino. Much more than any friend or lover can be.
I love hearing that.

Because of the Camino I met me and big G again along with all you guys.
Al, I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences here on the forum.

The only way I can really understand it is to believe that being stripped down to nothing but a backpack and the clothes we wear we're able to be more authentic to ourselves and others, which in turn creates a closeness we don't usually find in our daily lives.
I loved the simplicity of carrying only what I we needed. I definitely became more authentic. Thank you for expressing it so nicely.

We share a common experience: The Camino. It truly is a crazy experience and journey into insight, if you allow it. For most/all newbies, rest assured: At the end of your Camino, you will come out as a different person.

DS

As a relative newcomer to this forum, it's wonderful and enlightening to see someone put into words the sort of things I have been feeling. :)

Both on and off the Camino, this undoubtedly holds true. Many on here will share similar views, thoughts, philosophies and experiences, yet may well never have met. Certainly for me, the memory of those we walked with, either for a few kilometers or for many days, will always remain with me.

In some ways it's a strange friendship - like many, we haven't necessarily exchanged contact details with these people (or, in some cases, even learned their names!). Yet the bond is there, forged beneath the sun and tempered by the experience - inextricably linked, even if fleeting.

Those who have not yet experienced these feelings will possibly struggle to understand. I know many of my regular friends and colleagues - those I DO see day in, day out - don't get it. Yet I know these people far better than those with whom I share the depth of the Camino bond - the relationship is not better or worse, just different.

Perhaps what links Camino-ers is a state of mind as much as a shared experience. :cool:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This year it's the Via Francigena from northern Italy to Rome along with 3 Camino friends that I have just met over the last 3 years but share the Camino brotherhood. Take care .... friend!

Enjoy! Last year, I was in a small, beautiful town called Monte Fiascone in Italy, touring Italy by car as mere tourists, without any thoughts for the Camino, and saw a girl with a large backpack walking past us (me & girlfrind), and I said to my girlfriend: "What the heck: Looks like a pilgrim! In Italy!" Then we went up to the church at the top of the hill and found out that we were spot on an important place of the Camino Francigena!!! WOW! But OK: I'm off-topic... I, who started the topic...:oops:

Bene Camino!

Last edited:
Enjoy! Last year, I was in a small, beautiful town called Monte Fiascone in Italy, touring Italy by car as mere tourists, without any thoughts for the Camino, and saw a girl with a large backpack walking past us (me & girlfrind), and I said to my girlfriend: "What the heck: Looks like a pilgrim! In Italy!" Then we went up to the church at the top of the hill and found out that we were spot on an important place of the Camino Francigena!!! WOW! But OK: I'm off-topic... I, who started the topic...:oops:
Bene Camino!

Topics are as the Way. They go wherever pilgrims want to.
Had the same experience in Hall, Tyrol, Austria, where I went because I was interested in the local museum. I had a free afternoon, with nothing to do, so I decided to walk towards an interesting park, covered by snow. This picture shows what I saw, to my suprise and delight.
These things are not coincidences; they are omens. The Camino is calling us! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    983.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Alex -

Threads like this one make the Forum such a wonderful place - thank you so much for starting it. I love everyone's responses - thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts.

The Forum alone has added a wonderful dimension to my life, and the Camino itself - well - it's changed my life - it really has, in the best possible way.

Cheers - Jenny

I second Jenny's thoughts. This thread has made me smile the whole time I was reading it. Before I came in to close down the computer I just finished Vibering (terrible verb I know but don't know how to put it) some camino friends from Australia, people I met on the forum before I left, then we met at the train station, only walked together for 2 or 3 days. But have stayed in touch ever since. When they came through NYC this summer on the way back from their second camino I went down to see them for the day. It was like we had been friends all our lives. The camino creates such an amazing experience for those on it. Now I will have another tinto. Salud!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Such wonderful words Alex Walker....thankyou.

Ahh,
PS:
DS

Lovely post and responses ... is it family? no, surely not - families fall out, split into factions, argue about inheritances .. tribe? possibly .. recognition of being the same tribe with similar experiences and heritage? ... esprit de corps? maybe - do ex-soldiers who were on the same campaign have this? that they can meet another years later who was there but they never met and they are instantly brothers?
or is it that the deep and permanent change in our lives, our outlooks, our new understanding of what is important and what is nonsense (though we already had that outlook somewhere within us otherwise we wouldn't have abandoned the 'real' world to go on pilgrimage in the first place) ... knowing the common experiences rather than just having read about them ... whatever it is, we seem to recognise each other at a deep and barrier free level - like in the film, Avatar. "I see you" - fall into easy ways with each other, are forgiving of each other, easily fall into laughter and joy with each other, are supportive to each other, would go out of one's way to help another ..... hhmmm .. does sound like tribe .....
way back there was science fiction novel Stranger in a strange land - in that there was a 'water ceremony' where water would be shared. Just a glass of water but the deep meaning behind it and the experience of being part of that ritual was rather wonderful ... as Camino pilgrims we have 'shared water' and are no longer the same as we were .... maybe we are a different type of family, a new family ...

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for all responses to my ponderings under the flickering of the Northern Lights up here in the Arctic: I am quite convinced that I have many pilgrims on my side regarding bonding etc. It is fantastic when you realize that you are sitting next to a person who really GETS it! The real issue is, as I think, that the Camino really unleashes the best in us, the way forward, deeper meaning of life, and we get a better understanding of each other, as well as a more mature ability into forgiveness and inclusion. I hope so. But I may be wrong...

.. not trying to make you jelly...
kate

No chance, my dear ;)

Ahh... Arctic/Northern Lights...

I invite you to a 4 min. video from my hometown, just for the fun of it. I am sitting under this magic as we speak. Turn up sound and maximize the video, then enjoy. Under such circumstances, it is easy to accept a bigger picture of life, as well as the excistence of a higher power...

Last edited:
Will wake up this post with some whale frenzy, shot a few days ago, seen as a skipper with tourists up here in the darkness. Enjoy. And as said earlier: With my warm heart for all you peregrinos/peregrinas out there, who have good hearts:

Also some northern Lights shots:

https://www.facebook.com/havcruise

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Such a good thread everyone, and such good, true thoughts. Two years after my first Camino I'm still in touch with many I met there, though as time goes on, a bit more sporadically. However, I know that should I end up in their country, or they in mine, that the bond would be reestablished quickly, as though no time had elapsed. Such was the magic/blessing of the Camino. The only way I can really understand it is to believe that being stripped down to nothing but a backpack and the clothes we wear we're able to be more authentic to ourselves and others, which in turn creates a closeness we don't usually find in our daily lives. Now if I could just get better with applying that "stripping down" mentality to the material things in my life. Truly less is more, but it sure is a struggle sometimes.

Whilst I am yet to undertake my first Camino I can really relate to this David. I am not one who easily makes friends. I find too may people hide behind 'masks' or try to play 'roles' in life, rather than just be authentic. Perhaps through a fear of what others may think of them? Or what others may expect of them? Who knows.

The type of friendship you describe here is one I have only experienced to date in a previous Military career. No pretences, nowhere to hide, what you see is what you get, and usually 100% genuine. It comes from facing adversity together. From mutual respect and understanding. A common understanding of the challenge being undertaken. From helping each other, learning to not only give help, but to receive it gratefully and gracefully.

Those type of bonds are strong and deep.... and worth their weight in Gold.

And as others have said. those types of friendships are rekindled quickly and easily no matter how long the separation. I recently caught up with an old buddy here in Sydney, who remarked "You realise it's 31 years since we last worked together"?

We just picked up where we left off, like it was last week.

Will wake up this post with some whale frenzy, shot a few days ago, seen as a skipper with tourists up here in the darkness. Enjoy. And as said earlier: With my warm heart for all you peregrinos/peregrinas out there, who have good hearts:

An absolute joy to watch Alex....thankyou for sharing with us once again....a Camino Hug from Hot Western Australia.

Robo,I think another thing that makes the bonds so strong is that you get the feeling everyone wants to see everyone else succeed. This is really evident when you walk into Santiago and find yourself being embraced and high-fived by pilgrims you've either walked with a lot or even just randomly crossed paths with. Everyone is happy to see that everyone else is making it. It's something about that shared experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks Alex peregrina b and me really enjoyed watching your video in fact we watched it twice thank you for posting.

Thanks Alex peregrina b and me really enjoyed watching your video in fact we watched it twice thank you for posting.
Glad to hear: Also check out the link to Northern Lights. Even as "natives", we never cease to be amazed by the lights, winter landscape, faint daylight, whale frenzy and fishing abundance up here in the Arctic.

We are at the end of 2 months of no sun up here. We have a saying: Be careful when you invite a woman home to stay overnight: You risk having her in the house for 2 months...;)

But I realise we are way off topic, and it is my fault. All the worse since I was the one who started this thread... Sorry; I just wanted to share.

An ex secretary of mine had always wanted to see the Northern Lights but when she went on holiday she didn't see them. She was very disappointed. That was many years ago and we have lost touch so I don't know if she made it back.

€83,-
Glad to hear: Also check out the link to Northern Lights. Even as "natives", we never cease to be amazed by the lights, winter landscape, faint daylight, whale frenzy and fishing abundance up here in the Arctic.

We are at the end of 2 months of no sun up here. We have a saying: Be careful when you invite a woman home to stay overnight: You risk having her in the house for 2 months...;)

But I realise we are way off topic, and it is my fault. All the worse since I was the one who started this thread... Sorry; I just wanted to share.

Don't worry Alex …….. I mean about been way off topic! the woman staying overnight might cause a big problem!

To continue off-topic:

2 months ago I had an 85-year old English lady with her son on the boat. I took the old lady up in the wheelhouse and placed her in the co-pilot chair, so she could have the best view and at the same time have warmth and being at the "captain's table". She had always dreamt of seeing whales, and how sweet it was to see her with tears in her eyes and a big lump in her throat when whales were basking all around us in abundance.:)

As for Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis): They come when they come, but you can't trust them. Aurora is a female name.
Don't worry Alex …….. I mean about been way off topic! the woman staying overnight might cause a big problem!
They always do. It is very expensive too... ;)

"Women. They are a complete mystery."
Stephen Hawking

Said by the man on this planet who knows most about the whole Universe (or Multiverse, as he advocates now)...

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_hawking_2.html#IoSVzzDf6kbFywSk.99

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jane and I went to Iceland, the country not the supermarket, :), a few years ago in hopes of seeing the Northern lights but they did not oblidge, that said it was a wonderful trip and the country was stunning.
Wayfarer: Iceland is too far south (!). Many tourist organizers have kicked out Iceland because of that. There are cheap direct flights from Gatwick to my town, which is now the centre in the world for Northern Lights, whales, etc.;)

Education: The Northern Light belt is on latitudes between 65-73 degrees north, around the globe. Tromso is on latitude 69.40. You do the math. Perfect for seeing the lights. But the Sun must cooperate with solar explosions.

Reykjavik on Iceland is on latitude 64 North: A bit outside (south of!) the Northern Light belt. But people believe that the name Iceland will give them the experience. Seldom true.

And again: I am sickly off-topic... Sorry.

www.norwegian.com

Last edited:
Wayfarer: Iceland is too far south (!). Many tourist organizers have kicked out Iceland because of that. There are cheap direct flights from Gatwick to my town, which is now the centre in the world for Northern Lights, whales, etc.;)

Education: The Northern Light belt is on latitudes between 65-73 degrees north, around the globe. Tromso is on latitude 69.40. You do the math. Perfect for seeing the lights. But the Sun must cooperate with solar explosions.

Reykjavik on Iceland is on latitude 64 North: A bit outside (south of!) the Northern Light belt. But people believe that the name Iceland will give them the experience. Seldom true.

And again: I am sickly off-topic... Sorry.

www.norwegian.com

I met a wonderful couple from Tromso on my Camino last year,Tromso is therefore on my bucket list.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Beautiful words, John (The name of my son, actually). Thanks. You see, there's a saying, which many pilgrims can testify to:

The Camino will give you what you need, not what you want.

The Camino is a strong teacher for those who listen to it: You obviously did, and you obviously got it.

And yes, I prefer spiritual to religious as a description/explanation.

Just reading you original post brought me the chills..I cant wait to experience MY CAMINO, although sometimes I wish I would be able to go the complete Camino, I hope that walking at least from Valenca will bring the beauty of what you and others describe sooo beautifully. I dont know after this trip if I will ever be able to return but i am sure that my life will change... Buen Camino

I went to Tromso in winter of 2013 specifically to see the "lights". Unfortunately they did not oblige on that occasion, however I enjoyed the visit very much. Went out on a boat (with a very large dog as first mate), and went dog sledding. Buen Camino.

I went to Tromso in winter of 2013 specifically to see the "lights". Unfortunately they did not oblige on that occasion, however I enjoyed the visit very much. Went out on a boat (with a very large dog as first mate), and went dog sledding. Buen Camino.
The dog (named Pondus) is dead now, unfortunately (Cancer; old dog). I am the spare/second captain on that boat, and also serve as a reserve cook and guide. Hope to see you on board another time.

https://www.facebook.com/havcruise/
http://www.havcruise.no
http://www.havcruise.no/home
http://www.havcruise.no/activities-en/2015/8/5/northern-light-dinner-cruise

:)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The dog is dead now, unfortunately (Cancer; old dog). I am the spare/second captain, and also serve as a reserve cook and guide. Hope to see you on board another time.

So sorry to hear about the dog, but I realise he was quite old. Yes, it was the dinner cruise I went on. The Captain said his wife had cooked the meal. It is a small world, isn't it? At that time the Camino was just a nagging thought in the back of my mind. After a number of major life changes in the meantime it is now foremost in my thinking. I met some lovely people on my interrupted Camino Frances. Have not kept in touch with them but I enjoy the bonhomie of this Forum. I will definitely try to get back to Tromso one day. Cheers.

Soul friends

Ahh,
PS:
DS

@alexwalker , before I had walked the CF I considered you a special advisor and friend, and now even more so.

I would say that this wonderful forum--this odd island of sanity in the midst of Facebook, Twitter, and all the nonsense that social media has become--encourages and supports many people of like minds. Some of these become soul --solid--friends. We hardly even bother commenting to some of the nonsense. We see it for what it is, and move to the good thread. By the way, this is one of those.

It is slightly annoying when people try to "commercialize" the forum and get attention for their blogs. It is also annoying when folks run out a fishing line and troll for nonsense. Not into that stuff, especially now. Time and attention are of the essence.

It does, however, make me smile when I see the kind comment, the sardonic nip at the heels of a Camino pup, the friendly banter between friends who have clearly been communicating her for a long, long time.

Imaging the Arctic, Scotland, Australia, England, Wales, and Arizona--as backdrops and homes for you as you journey through life--is part of the exciting experience of the forum. The Arctic! It makes me want to know more about what it's like there. The idea of the descent into darkness, while I am--here in the Pacific NW--simply engulfed in rain, rain, and more rain is fascinating.

@alexwalker , before I had walked the CF I considered you a special advisor and friend, and now even more so.

I would say that this wonderful forum--this odd island of sanity in the midst of Facebook, Twitter, and all the nonsense that social media has become--encourages and supports many people of like minds. Some of these become soul --solid--friends. We hardly even bother commenting to some of the nonsense. We see it for what it is, and move to the good thread. By the way, this is one of those.

It is slightly annoying when people try to "commercialize" the forum and get attention for their blogs. It is also annoying when folks run out a fishing line and troll for nonsense. Not into that stuff, especially now. Time and attention are of the essence.

It does, however, make me smile when I see the kind comment, the sardonic nip at the heels of a Camino pup, the friendly banter between friends who have clearly been communicating her for a long, long time.

Imaging the Arctic, Scotland, Australia, England, Wales, and Arizona--as backdrops and homes for you as you journey through life--is part of the exciting experience of the forum. The Arctic! It makes me want to know more about what it's like there. The idea of the descent into darkness, while I am--here in the Pacific NW--simply engulfed in rain, rain, and more rain is fascinating.

Such an old post by you, @alexwalker , but someone resurrected it and I am loving it. Blessings and good wishes to you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since this thread has been resurrected I'll give an update and example of why I still feel these connections we make on the Camino are so strong. This past June when my Camino had ended, I went to Barcelona to spend a week with a friend I had made on my 2012 Camino. In my memory we had spent countless days walking together. In reality, as he pointed out, we had only walked together two days. Yet when we got together in Barcelona, it was like two best friends getting together, picking up where we had left off. While there, I was trying to arrange a volunteer stint, but hadn't heard back from anyone. I wasn't sure what to do, but then received a message from a girl I had met on the 2012 Camino inviting me to visit Germany and offering a place to stay. Again, a few days of walking, talking and sharing had created a tighter bond than I could have imagined at the time. The craziest thing that happened was in Muxia. As my sister and I walked into a bar a young woman was walking out. I looked at her and asked if she was from England. She said yes, why do you look so familiar? I told her it's because we had dinner together on the Frances on the previous Camino. In fact, she was in a group photo taken in Ages (one of my favorites of the trip). Amazingly she remembered who I was traveling with and where we had dined together. We spent the next three hours drinking wine and sharing stories. Connections like this don't happen at home, in our "normal" lives. There is something about the shared experience, whether good or bad, rain, sun, wind or cold, that brings us into something deeper. That's the thing that I miss most about the Camino and the thing that draws me back.

Since this thread has been resurrected I'll give an update and example of why I still feel these connections we make on the Camino are so strong. This past June when my Camino had ended, I went to Barcelona to spend a week with a friend I had made on my 2012 Camino. In my memory we had spent countless days walking together. In reality, as he pointed out, we had only walked together two days. Yet when we got together in Barcelona, it was like two best friends getting together, picking up where we had left off. While there, I was trying to arrange a volunteer stint, but hadn't heard back from anyone. I wasn't sure what to do, but then received a message from a girl I had met on the 2012 Camino inviting me to visit Germany and offering a place to stay. Again, a few days of walking, talking and sharing had created a tighter bond than I could have imagined at the time. The craziest thing that happened was in Muxia. As my sister and I walked into a bar a young woman was walking out. I looked at her and asked if she was from England. She said yes, why do you look so familiar? I told her it's because we had dinner together on the Frances on the previous Camino. In fact, she was in a group photo taken in Ages (one of my favorites of the trip). Amazingly she remembered who I was traveling with and where we had dined together. We spent the next three hours drinking wine and sharing stories. Connections like this don't happen at home, in our "normal" lives. There is something about the shared experience, whether good or bad, rain, sun, wind or cold, that brings us into something deeper. That's the thing that I miss most about the Camino and the thing that draws me back.

Amazing, I hope I get to make wonderful connections like that on my Camino.

Amazing, I hope I get to make wonderful connections like that on my Camino.
You will, unless you try really, really hard not to.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...in Ages (one of my favorites of the trip).
One of my favourite places too. Last year as we walked into Ages Marie Anne was taking the sun outside her albergue (the first one on entering - San Raphael) with some pilgrims. A moment impossible to forget as she greeted me with a shout of "Allan", warm smile, hugs and kisses. I had first met her when I stayed on my birthday in 3 years ago and had not seen her since. At that time I was walking in memory of my still born grandson Jakob and she was mourning the lost of a niece. It was that memory is what caused her tears. Such moments are part of what is so special about the Camino. It is not just pilgrims who enter into our lives and into whose lives we enter.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back