• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Realistic daily distance for 73 year old male?

carolgibney

Hi there. Perhaps this question has been answered before but I have been unable to find exactly the information I need..so bear with me please.

I am intending to walk from Sarria to Santiago with my Dad next April. He has wanted to do this for a number of years but the family were against him doing it til I decided I would do it with him to celebrate my 50th birthday and allieviate their concerns. Now I am the one with the concerns!!

Dad lives in Ireland and I live in Australia so we will meet in Spain and spend 10 days in total on the trail. Unfortunately my work committments mean I can't take longer time off.

So my question is this. How many kms realisitically do you think my Dad could walk in a day. He reckons about 15kms (probably realistic). I note that most of the main stop over towns on that leg are 20+kms per day. Dad is 73, has a double hip replacement and has had heart surgery but is otherwise fit and well. Neither of us are atheletes!! He is walking most days now (training) and tells me with delight that he walked for 35 minutes yesterday! (its a concern I know). I walk about 5kms most days and try to do 12 to 15 kms on the Bibbulmun track (a 1000 km bush trail in Western Australia) on one day of each weekend.

From reading the forum it seems everyone is very capable of doing 20+ kms daily and I am wondering if this is because the trail, particularly the leg of it we intend to do, is very easy? All advice will be welcome. Oh and as a side note...we will only carry day packs and have our luggage couriered through to the next town so while I know that will be seriously frowned on by die hard pilgrims, please bear in mind my role in this is to ensure my Dad completes his dream safely..so I am feeling with very little weight to carry perhaps longer distances are possible?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Carol:

Hello, My friend and I just completed the Camino Frances from SJPdP on April 25th of this year. I am 61 and my friend Hermann is 73. We walked on average 6 hours/25km per day with 10kg packs and completed the hike in 33 days.

Sarria to Santiago is 117km. The Camino in that stretch does not have severe climbs but there will be many up and downs. So I would recommend when you train you do some hill climbing. If I were to write a book on the Camino it would be "Always another Hill".

Everyone is different. By your description of the type of walking you and your Dad do I do not think you will have any problem, Especially with only a day pack. 15km a day also seems a very reasonable distance and should allow you to complete the trek in 7 to 8 days. The question is your Dad. How much rest does He need after 35 minutes? At 3km an hour, 15km will take 5 hours. With a break every 35 minutes you are talking about 7-8 hours days. You also have to consider weather in the equation. What if it rains or is very hot?

I think it is wonderful that you are doing this with your Dad. I also believe your goal of 15km in 10 days is very realistic. That being said, I think your Dad might need to train a little more before you take this on. Not sure when you plan on going.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to send me a PM.

Buen Camino
Joe

Hello Carol, First of all, I think it's fantastic that you can take the time to walk with your father! Just to put you at ease, once you pass Sarria, there are albergues nearly every few kms. The three greatest distances between albergues are: Portomarín/Gonzar = 8 kms, Casanova/Melide = 10 kms and Arzua/Santa Irene = 17kms. Then there is the last large trek from Arco do Pino to Monte do Gozo = 16 kms. However, before and after these places there a loads of smaller albergues, (apart for the Arco do Pino/Monte de Gozo stretch), usually spaced every 3 to 5 kms. Check with info@caminoguide.net for all the information.
The last time we walked the Camino Francés in 2009, my husband Adriaan was 71and this year we will be walking again from Roncevalles to Santiago, so he will be 73 and me 69. On the Camino, we nearly always walk easily 20/25 km each day and on rare occasions go to 30kms. So far, we have always carried our backpacks.I admit that we walk at least a daily 6 kms, at home and so are pretty fit. If you father start his routine daily walking, I'm sure he will manage even the harder days, especially as you intend to send your packs ahead. Go for it and Buen Camino! Anne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To cut down the last kilometres there are at least one hotel in Lavacolla and one in Villamayor (Casa de Amancio).
From Pedruzo to Lavacolla 11 km - Lavacolla to Villamaoyr 1.5 km - Villamayor to Santiago 8.5 km.

Casa de Amancio
Villamayor, 9
15820 Lavacolla
tel 981 879 086
movil 617 628 083
http://www.casadeamancio.com

73? One day at a time for certain!

You may be surprised - unless you are fit you may find that the Elder stamina outweighs yours!

Truth to say, you cannot tell until you walk together. As long as you have spare cash to hotel if you need to, you will be fine.
Your reservations are, surely, that you don't want anything awful to happen to Dad on 'your watch' ?

You will be fine - you are flying halfway around the world to be with him, and he comes from the Republic, the Island - he is strong, you are strong.

but - the thing is, if he dies on pilgrimage, well, he will have you there. He will die fulfilling a long-held dream. He will have a loving daughter with him. This would be a good death. A very good death. Would you prefer a lingering wasting in a hospice? Of course not. So, all is well.

you may feel it, but you are not alone. All is well. :wink:

Thank you all for your very quick responses. It is encouraging to see some of you are close to his age and have had no problem at all. And I feel he will have no problem either...and , may be fitter than me!! Yes I want to try and ensure nothing happens on "my watch" but I am also a believer in the saying " if you dont use it you lose it" so I think this will be very good for his health. I am a first aider and I have a Bachelor in Musculoskeletal Therapy so can manage/treat any muscle injury he may have on the trip (the reason the family are "allowing" him come with me :lol: ).

Thanks again, we will take it easy and book accommodation ahead to ensure there is no pressure to race along the road to try and get a bed for the night - or worse, sleep on a floor! . We wont be staying in alberques.

We are going just after Easter in April next year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am the same age and really don't think the age is the factor...it is much easier for me than many people much, much younger. Each of us is different. People 73 years old can be in much better condition than people in the 50's.
I have walked twice from St. Jean and am now thinking of starting in Le Puy so that I can do 1000 miles (1620 km).
You should consider his conditioning more than age.

Regardless, stuff still happens. So don't forget your health insurance cards (or travel insurance), either of you. Worth it for the peace of mind, at minimum.

And remember, there is no rule that says if the stage is too long you cannot take a bus or a taxi. I met a woman who was morbidly obese on my last camino. She began by walking just a few kilometers, then calling a taxi to take her within a kilometer of town. She'd then walk in so as to be able to use the albergue.

She increased her distance as her strength increased and the weight dropped off.

By the end of the Camino, she was walking full stages.

As for age, I met several people in their 80's and like others have said, many of those folks are stronger than the young ones when it comes to walking!

Have fun!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm not 73. I'm 63. My advice. Don't compare yourself to any body else. Pay attention to the steps you take. Each day will be different. The conditions vary as to temperature, rain, wind etc. Each days walk will be over surfaces that range from smooth to not so smooth. Take care of your feet. Take time to stop and check your feet. Up's and down's affect everybody differently. Enjoy each day, pay attention to how you are feeling. Rest when you feel that you need it. Drink plenty of water. Make sure you eat enough. If you feel good you can go long. If you don't feel so good. Take it easy. The best advice to listen to is the advice your own body gives you.

Anniesantiago said:
And remember, there is no rule that says if the stage is too long you cannot take a bus or a taxi. I met a woman who was morbidly obese on my last Camino. She began by walking just a few kilometers, then calling a taxi to take her within a kilometer of town. She'd then walk in so as to be able to use the albergue.
Excellent advice Annie!

BUT , If I may Carol ...... please do not take offense .........

Reading between the lines , it seems as if your Dad is nowhere near prepared enough to walk 20km per day.....to be realistic - your first days should be only as little as 3km or 5km increasing up to say 10 km per day. You will soon be able to gauge where his levels of comfort are.
Avoid ruining both your Caminos by exhausting yourselves the first few days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks everyone. I have been talking to my Dad who now thinks going 25kms per day should be a breeze!! AND he's talking about doing the whole 800kms. Now it has to be said that he was a marathon runner in his 40's and 50's (which is why he now has two new hips!)...so he does know a bit about preparing his body for endurance stuff. I'm going over to IReland in two weeks and will take him out for a good hill hike and see how he copes. I'm delighted with my own progress of 17kms of hill and bush walking now so I do think we might be able to do a bit more than originally thought. However.....I'm a big believer in not pushing it and if it's a struggle, slow down and throw a credit card at it :).

If you find he outpaces you secretly put three or four bottles of wine in his rucksack - will slow him down a bit :wink:

the distance travelled is of no importance the time spent with your father is,throw the timetable out the window and just enjoy the moment,talk laugh drink lots of wine and enjoy the moment with someone who is special to you they may not come again.
I am 64 and walked with my eldest daughter for just 4 days I longed for more but it was enough.
buen Camino
Ian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
sagalouts said:
the distance travelled is of no importance the time spent with your father is,throw the timetable out the window and just enjoy the moment,talk laugh drink lots of wine and enjoy the moment with someone who is special to you they may not come again.
I am 64 and walked with my eldest daughter for just 4 days I longed for more but it was enough.
buen Camino
Ian

That is my exact reason for doing this....precious time with my Dad who lives on the other side of the world to me (for 23 years now!). We do see each other every couple of years but I think when you live away from family you appreciate them more and recognise that at a rate of 2 yearly visits, there may not be many more of them. I will have just under three weeks in total and will have to go to Ireland to see Mum and the rest of the family before we depart. (Mum is not remotely interested in coming...even though I told her she could just stay in hotels and bus through to each town). So we are estimating we will spend 10 days on the Camino which would be a nice slow pace from Sarria to Santiago..or if we do it faster, just spend more time in Santiago. I would love to have enough time to do the whole 800kms with him but I have a husband and family here (and grand baby) and a job so the time is just not available to me at this stage.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, my husband and I are planning 900 to 1000 km next year from Le Puy en Velay. My husband will be 80 years of age. In 2008 he walked 400 km on the Czech Greenways with me, which were undulating in nature. We averaged 20 km per day. My husband had problems with his achilles, but still managed. He has also had lifelong problems with the sole of one foot due to a blood blister type thing, which does cause some pain and he favours the foot, putting more strain on the knee which plays up from time to time. Over the last few months he has been training for next year, with 3 visits to gym per week and a weekly tramp in the local rain forest ranges. He is doing really well, his heart is pretty good, but he does have a bit of a leaky valve. Anyway, we will start on the journey, walk slowly, eat and drink well and try and get good nights of sleep. We will be vigilant, if things start to go wrong though and if necessary use luggage or people transport. Every person is so different. When I did my first walk aged 51, the Frances, I struggled, but now after a few more I am in much better shape in spite of not doing anything much during the year. Just know that you can play it all by ear and if it does get too hard go with the flow and change plans or arrangements. Nothing is set in concrete. It will most likely be an amazing experience deepening your relationship. Love, Gitti

Thanks Gitti! And congratulations and good luck to you both doing it again. Good to hear that you are fitter with age rather than slowing down!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is my ten year anniversary of my first Camino 2008: SJPDP To SDC 34 Days. Injured the last 600 km...finished on forearm crutches. I was 63 y o and completely full of myself. Four additional Caminos later (CP/CI/Sarria To SDC x 2) each time I got smarter and a bit slower, but was never injured. My typical day is 15-20 km. Each third day I stay in a hostel rather than an albergue municipal. I will return to the Camino this fall and hope to reprise my SJPDP To SDC sans the injury.
The Camino is everything you could ask for and more. That’s why you are here! Welcome to the Forum.
Buen Camino.
Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are all different in terms of fitness, stamina, mental toughness........
You may need to just get out there and start, and see what distance feels right.

On my first Camino I was 57.
A few times I walked with 'Bob' who was 73.
I gave up..........he was too fast for me :(:(:(

And he was no athlete or superman. Just a regular guy.
Well not as overweight as me maybe.........that helps. :rolleyes:

It can be so individual!!
In my own case, walking LePuy to Santiago in 2013, after all the French conditioning, when I hit Estella I finished next 219 km in 8 days no problem.
In 2016 at age 74-, walked with my adult daughter from Leon to Santiago and felt worse on the 20km from Foncebadon to Ponferrada than on any earlier stage in any earlier walk.
Last fall I tried Lisbon to Santiago after figuring doable 20km stages. Early was too much heat for me (95f so was tourist after 5 days walking) and the cobblestones after Porto ruined both my Achilles, so left after another 3 days. And 20km days were very exhausting on both segments! I had to take taxis twice even on those shorter segments.
I am in general good shape with about two 10km local walks per week.
Sarria to Santiago is a nice, if crowded, segment with undulating terrain. And easy to catch taxis on those exhausting days.
You will have a wonderful trip if you both listen to your bodies--and have the willingness to walk/taxi separately on occasion. Remember that, in addition to the family time, you each need to make it your Camino. My daughter and I only walked 'togethe'r the first 3 days. We ended at same albergue the next 7 and solo the rest. It was a great camino for us both!!

I am a snail. First camino I averaged only 18 kms a day. This last camino I averaged only 15 kms a day and that doesn’t include rest days! I stopped in every church that was open. I took heaps of photos. I enjoyed coffee breaks. I made detours to visit sights off the camino. I took time to enjoy the views and talk with fellow pilgrims and locals. I stopped each day when I felt like stopping, sometimes very early. Noone says you have to go fast. And chances are you’ll find that there will be a small number of others going around your same pace. In my experience all the slow walkers are especially nice people. ;)
Have a very buen camino, peregrina. Let us know how you go.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Carol, I had intended to send a 'PM', but can't figure how to do it on the handsome new layout of the forum.
A couple questions: where does your father live in Ireland? Is he a member, or in contact with Camino Society Ireland? I'd really recommend he gets in touch--for lots of information and perhaps even a walking companion during his 'training' time.
Do I gather correctly that you two will be doing your walk within the next month? I'm a (77+) spring caminante, but February would be a tiny bit cold for me, I think. Still, I'm sure you'll have the necessary gear.
If you have the time, you might even want to walk a Celtic Camino stage together while you're in Ireland (e.g. Bray to Dublin, as a one-off, or in easy stagesk), before walking the Camino Inglés from A Coruna (possibly preferable to Sarria-Santiago--although if he wants to fill in the previous blanks for the full Camino Francés, that is great!).
Feel free to send me a private message, if you can figure how to do it! I'd be delighted to meet you while you're here in Ireland. Buen camino!
Silverton

@Silverton when you want to PM tap the person’s name above their post and a box with options will appear - the one you want to choose is “start a conversation”

@HedaP Shorter stages and leisurely pace are definitely a great way to enjoy long walks! My philosophy is "start slowly then taper off'. In some ways it is a travesty that the Camino starts in SJPdP. First camino, with college roommate, he blew out a meniscus from and old bicycle injury totally changing his Camino as he had it drained in Pamplona and again in Santiago--and mostly buses and hitchhiking inbetween. And 7 hours on my legs/feet is my maximum. And at my current pace of 3km/hr, a 20k day is maximum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back