• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Realistic timeframe

kinnear

Time of past OR future Camino
2007 (September 2017)
I realise this is asking how long is a piece of string however...given that it looks like I need to book a return ticket here goes... a realistic date for the return

I'm a small ( short steps!) moderately fit 67 year old female. Arrive in Paris 19th and then start 23 September from sjpdp staying over at Orisson. Want to take my time...40 days maybe to Santiago....day or two there then on to Finis Terre...3-4 days walk then two or three days there resting. Bus back to Santiago and fly to Paris. Another hree or four days in Paris before flying back to New Zealand. I'm travelling alone. This allows departure flight about 52 days after I start walking and about 60 days from home. Is this likely to be realistic or am I over estimating times and will be paying for too much expensive accommodation or penalties to change my flights. Help appreciated. I WILL "wing" things on the walk but this side requires potentially expensive decisions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It sounds like a good plan, although if you are fit, the 40 days might mean some relatively short days, but it will give you time to take some rest days. The other effect is that if you find you are walking with a group you don't want to part with, you might find yourself arriving in Santiago much earlier than you had planned.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As a similarly moderately fit late-60's woman, I think your plan is very reasonable. I took 42 days to walk SJPP to Santiago; I could have done it a day or two faster without difficulty but I think it was the perfect time to plan.

The 3-4 days planned for Finisterre could be your buffer time (i.e. if you get sick or injured) for the Camino Frances. So you could reduce the plan by 3-4 days as long as you are not adamant about walking on to Finisterre. Having said that, I still think your suggested plan is very good and not excessive.

I realise this is asking how long is a piece of string however...given that it looks like I need to book a return ticket here goes... a realistic date for the return

I'm a small ( short steps!) moderately fit 67 year old female. Arrive in Paris 19th and then start 23 September from sjpdp staying over at Orisson. Want to take my time...40 days maybe to Santiago....day or two there then on to Finis Terre...3-4 days walk then two or three days there resting. Bus back to Santiago and fly to Paris. Another hree or four days in Paris before flying back to New Zealand. I'm travelling alone. This allows departure flight about 52 days after I start walking and about 60 days from home. Is this likely to be realistic or am I over estimating times and will be paying for too much expensive accommodation or penalties to change my flights. Help appreciated. I WILL "wing" things on the walk but this side requires potentially expensive decisions.

The plan looks good. Add a few days for 'slush' ... if you don't use the days on the camino you can always make like a tourist ... Spain is steeped in history ... or you can go hang out on the beach at Finisterre.

I think the 60 days from home should suit you fine. If things get a wee bit tight while you are walking, and they probably won't, you can always just take a couple of days less in Paris on the way home. After all, you will be there a couple of days at the beginning anyway.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think 60 days is a great place to start. My first trip was 45 days but I had a job and wife to get back to. Now that I have been back a few time I can't wait until I retire and can spend 90 days at a time in Europe.

Good luck with your decision.

I wondered the same thing when I looked at when to book my return too.
I reckon you should either pay a bit more for your return ticket and make it a Flexi fare so you can change the date or don't fret about it too much and change the ticket when you know when you will be finished closer to the time. There's usually
Only a $50 change fee unless there are no seats left in your class, then you have to pay the difference of what you paid and what's available. But you could just choose another date as you seem flexible.
Try not to worry about these things too much as you can't plan it all to the letter and if it's another 50, 100 or 200$ in a years time you won't be thinking about the money to change a flight, it will be the trip itself.
Rachel :)

n.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This is just a suggestion but I'd be adding a couple of extra days to the walk or spending more time in Santiago or catching a bus to maybe Porto or somewhere else for a few days rather than spending any extra time in Finisterre. If you are starting from SJPdP on 23 September and taking 40 days then you will get to Santiago on 1 November. We arrived in Santiago on 30 October. In November some of the albergues between Santiago and Finisterre close for the season so the distances between stops were quite long, there were very few pilgrims walking at that time of year and combined with some bad weather it was jolly hard going. And Finisterre was very much in off season mode. The view from the lighthouse was mist. I was glad to leave the place but this is just my experience and I'm sure others have very different opinions.
PS One of the reasons we aimed to be in Santiago for All Saints Day was because the word along the Way was that the botafumerio was going to swing and it did!
Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A Spaniard on our first Camino made the suggestion to walk to Logrono before booking return flights (travel agent close to the big supermarket, if I recall correctly. Although if you carry a smartphone, . . . .). His reasoning was that by that point, you are going to know about how many kms you can comfortably walk a day, but it is still far enough out that the plane tickets for the return flight are not ridiculous. Pretty good advice, and it worked out for us that first Camino. By the second time we walked, we had 30 days and not a day longer, so we just bought the return in advance.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Why not plan a 90 day trip? A week in Paris, walk the Camino at your own pace. Spend any time left in Madrid / Barcelona / another week in Paris. Pretend you are 20 and backpack around. Stay in hostels, women's dorms. Walk the cities and enjoy the food.

Edit. There is high speed rail from Barcelona to Paris, takes about 6 hours.

Looks like a perfect plan. I allowed 60 days for both my Camino's. Arrived in Santiago day 40 on one and day 41 on the other. This allowed me to stay in Orisson, rest days in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon and a couple of days in Santiago connecting with pilgrims we had met along the way. If you end up with a spare day, you can spend extra time in Muxia.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you can - Why don't take your whole 90 days visa allowance? 40 days to Santiago, enjoy a week there and then enjoy another part of Europe that interests you. Enjoy your freedom and make the most out of it! Buen Camino, SY
Great idea. Maybe in another life says my husband - or over my dead body! Thats a thought :)

As a similarly moderately fit late-60's woman, I think your plan is very reasonable. I took 42 days to walk SJPP to Santiago; I could have done it a day or two faster without difficulty but I think it was the perfect time to plan.

The 3-4 days planned for Finisterre could be your buffer time (i.e. if you get sick or injured) for the Camino Frances. So you could reduce the plan by 3-4 days as long as you are not adamant about walking on to Finisterre. Having said that, I still think your suggested plan is very good and not excessive.
I'm feeling pretty reassured and excited - thank you

Hola Me parece estupendo su plan. Estoy seguro lo disfrutará, Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HedaP that's a very useful point about albergues being closed on the Finisterre walk. We walked that route during the first week of October 2016. It was really lovely , fine weather and albergues open. I can imagine it would be tough under different weather / accommodation conditions.
This is just a suggestion but I'd be adding a couple of extra days to the walk or spending more time in Santiago or catching a bus to maybe Porto or somewhere else for a few days rather than spending any extra time in Finisterre. If you are starting from SJPdP on 23 September and taking 40 days then you will get to Santiago on 1 November. We arrived in Santiago on 30 October. In November some of the albergues between Santiago and Finisterre close for the season so the distances between stops were quite long, there were very few pilgrims walking at that time of year and combined with some bad weather it was jolly hard going. And Finisterre was very much in off season mode. The view from the lighthouse was mist. I was glad to leave the place but this is just my experience and I'm sure others have very different opinions.
PS One of the reasons we aimed to be in Santiago for All Saints Day was because the word along the Way was that the botafumerio was going to swing and it did!
Buen camino

@kinnear I think you timing is fine. You have given yourself plenty of time to get to Santiago, there is some leeway already built it (Finisterre can always be by bus, if necessary). I would not make it any longer if it were me because by the end of two months I want to be home. Glorious as it is to travel, home is where my heart is.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked at age 67, pretty fit, and with short strides. I took 50 days that included rest days and walk to Finisterre and Muxia.
This worked well for me.

So your 52 days would give you some extra padding, a good thing. I like the other suggestions you received about booking even more time! I will probably do that next time.

I would recommend taking as much time as you need to walk from SJPdP to Santiago. 40 - 42 days is reasonable, if including built-in intentional "rest" or down days at popular places like Burgos, Leon or Astorga.

Once at SdC, I recommend taking a day tour, via coach to Finisterre & Muxia. In the autumn there will be fewer pilgrims on this route and accommodations will be sketchy. Why chance it? You can get information at the Tourismo de Galicia offices located at the Pilgrim Office or on Rua do Vilar.

I endorse the suggestions to spend extra days at Santiago, or to take a side trip to Porto, or build in time for an end of Camino holiday at Madrid, Paris, Barcelona, or Lisbon. You came that far...why not?

When you buy your ticket, consider including an "open jaw." This is when you fly into a city like Paris at the beginning of your journey and depart for home from another gateway city. Good examples include Madrid, Lisbon & Barcelona. The cost difference is usually nil.

I hope this helps.

In 2015, my friend and I - small, short stepping ladies- of which I was the youngest at 68, walked from St. Jean to Santiago in 40 days. We had 3 or 4 rest/medical days and averaged 10 - 15 miles per day. Our schedule prevented us from walking on to Finisterre, but your schedule seems to have the time. I think I would add in an extra day or two so you won't feel stressed to meet a deadline and you can adjust plans according to what is happening. And there is plenty to enjoy in Paris and environs. Go with 60 days. Been camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We're in our mid to late 60's and we did it with rest days for injury and illness in 44 day. Joan is short in stature at 5'3'' and I at 6'1'' which made for a unique walking speed...lol

I'm very excited for you! I'm 60 years old and reasonably fit. As for my first (and so far, only) Camino...last April 20th I departed from SJPdP. I did have a return flight booked, but had given myself extra time (2 months). I ended up having 44 walking days plus 7 non-walking (rest) days mixed in there. Don't forget to build in rest days! One of my rest days was in Leon (amazing city...totally wanted to explore), and one in Ponferrada (I was sick...so good to know a day off wouldn't kill my "schedule"). I recommend a rest day in Burgos too (I'd been before, so didn't need to stop this time). The other 5 rest days were volunteering at an albergue that was being run by a friend of mine. I was working (cleaning, checking in pilgrims, etc.)...but it still was a break from walking. Plus, I wouldn't give up that experience of being on the other side of the welcoming table for anything. I arrived in Santiago 5 days before my flight was due to depart. I thought I wouldn't want to just hang around, but aside from a 1/2 day (van...yeah!) trip to Finisterre/Muxia, I can't tell you how much those days decompressing in Santiago meant to me. I read a lot, lazily explored the museums/cathedral, hung out at Pilgrim House (https://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/), drank a lot of coffee/wine and chatted with so many pilgrims. This time was really valuable to me. I got to revel in my accomplishment...sharing the experience with others like me. I didn't have to face the "real" world right away...either at home or as a tourist. It really was fantastic.

Hi..............theres a lot of good advice in all the above. I actually set out from St Jean Pied De Port 23rd September 2016 0n my first Camino. Staying over in Orisson on your first night out of SJPDP is a great call, this sets you up perfectly for the onward climb to Roncesvalles. Your schedule as you have outlined looks well planned and allows flexibility. I would always say look after the feet and in the early days, take time out to remove boots and socks at regular intervals, this will serve you very well as your journey progresses. I was 71 at the time and pushed on to complete SJPDP to Santiago in 28 days. You will develop your own walking rhythm and you will get stronger as you progress. I didn't take any rest days and I didn't have a return date. I arrived in Santiago and booked a flight back to the UK hours after arrival. Your description and schedule indicates you have done your research and I would think it will work out perfectly. Prior to completing the Camino Francais I had never stayed in a hostel/albergue and I had never carried a backpack. The whole experience was well worthwhile and I will complete Camino Niorte September/October 2018

Good luck. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. Since you left from SJPDP at the same time I intend to, could you advise me on clothing? Just how cold is it likely to be? Will heat be still a factor in the early days? I don't want to carry too much gear.
Thanks

I'm very excited for you! I'm 60 years old and reasonably fit. As for my first (and so far, only) Camino...last April 20th I departed from SJPdP. I did have a return flight booked, but had given myself extra time (2 months). I ended up having 44 walking days plus 7 non-walking (rest) days mixed in there. Don't forget to build in rest days! One of my rest days was in Leon (amazing city...totally wanted to explore), and one in Ponferrada (I was sick...so good to know a day off wouldn't kill my "schedule"). I recommend a rest day in Burgos too (I'd been before, so didn't need to stop this time). The other 5 rest days were volunteering at an albergue that was being run by a friend of mine. I was working (cleaning, checking in pilgrims, etc.)...but it still was a break from walking. Plus, I wouldn't give up that experience of being on the other side of the welcoming table for anything. I arrived in Santiago 5 days before my flight was due to depart. I thought I wouldn't want to just hang around, but aside from a 1/2 day (van...yeah!) trip to Finisterre/Muxia, I can't tell you how much those days decompressing in Santiago meant to me. I read a lot, lazily explored the museums/cathedral, hung out at Pilgrim House (https://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/), drank a lot of coffee/wine and chatted with so many pilgrims. This time was really valuable to me. I got to revel in my accomplishment...sharing the experience with others like me. I didn't have to face the "real" world right away...either at home or as a tourist. It really was fantastic.

Hi Lisa
i definitely want those rest days at the end whether in Santiago or Finnis Terre and if there's time some tourist days in Paris simply because I may never get back. Thank you for the reference to Pilgrim House, I've subscribed to their newsletter. I do remember 10 years ago feeling uncomfortable in the cities in my pilgrim gear (as an older woman - and much older now!) and keen to get back on the way. Perhaps it has changed a bit with more pilgrims. Did you make any arrangements for alternative clothing?
Thanks
Barbara

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. Since you left from SJPDP at the same time I intend to, could you advise me on clothing? Just how cold is it likely to be? Will heat be still a factor in the early days? I don't want to carry too much gear.
Thanks

Hi Kinnear. good question. this is what I found. I worked on the 2 of everything rule. during the early weeks, the weather was fine for a guy from the U.K definitely not too hot and this is why I set out on the 23rd (late September) However, as I indicated, I pushed on without rest days, during the 4th week it was very cold in the morning and Galicia is typically wet. I actually had a poncho to cope with the rain but on my next Camino, I will change poncho for rainproof jacket and trousers with a rainproof cover for backpack. I found that body heat made the poncho sweat on the inside so when taking a break, I would remove the poncho and try to dry the inside. Another important thing I found and you will need to consider is that "some" albergues close for the end of the season mid to late October. Even on my accelerated schedule I was coming across albergues that were closed. Travelling through Galicia you may find it misty in the early morning and the sun may take a little while to break through.
Summary.........Galicia can/will be cold in the early morning and it is a good bet that it will rain during this phase. Also, do check out the "albergues" and make sure you are not having to travel on beyond your comfort zone to get to the next location.

Hope that helps. Good luck

Again, thanks. This is great advice. Last time in Galicia I bought one of those Altus raincoats that cover the pack too and make you look like the "Hunchback of Notre Dame"! Best buy ever although it stopped raining a day or two later. I felt at that stage if I had to sleep out it would serve me well. I'm bringing it this time. I'm sort of hoping that with increased numbers that the season might stretch a little and more albergues stay open. Whatever...it will be okay

Hi..............theres a lot of good advice in all the above. I actually set out from St Jean Pied De Port 23rd September 2016 0n my first Camino. Staying over in Orisson on your first night out of SJPDP is a great call, this sets you up perfectly for the onward climb to Roncesvalles. Your schedule as you have outlined looks well planned and allows flexibility. I would always say look after the feet and in the early days, take time out to remove boots and socks at regular intervals, this will serve you very well as your journey progresses. I was 71 at the time and pushed on to complete SJPDP to Santiago in 28 days. You will develop your own walking rhythm and you will get stronger as you progress. I didn't take any rest days and I didn't have a return date. I arrived in Santiago and booked a flight back to the UK hours after arrival. Your description and schedule indicates you have done your research and I would think it will work out perfectly. Prior to completing the Camino Francais I had never stayed in a hostel/albergue and I had never carried a backpack. The whole experience was well worthwhile and I will complete Camino Niorte September/October 2018

Good luck. Buen Camino

You probably flew past me and my wife on the 24th ...lol It took us 44 days dealing with sickness and broken bone in wife's foot early on, but we made it. Greatest lifetime experience ever besides our children. Back in September 2017 for Camino del Norte' :)

Buen Camino !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You probably flew past me and my wife on the 24th ...lol It took us 44 days dealing with sickness and broken bone in wife's foot early on, but we made it. Greatest lifetime experience ever besides our children. Back in September 2017 for Camino del Norte' :)

Buen Camino !

I would have set out from Orisson refuge 24th September at arounf 7:0 am striking out for Roncesvalles. Sorry to learn of illness and your wifes injured foot. Completing in 44 days represents a magnificent effort and walking the Camino together must represent a magical shared experience. you are ahead of me in scheduling a return to the Camino Del Norte in 2017. I will be a year behind you. Having done Camino Frances I guess will be a big help in practical terms and an inspiration in so many other aspect Good luck and Buen Camino.................Peter

I would have set out from Orisson refuge 24th September at arounf 7:0 am striking out for Roncesvalles. Sorry to learn of illness and your wifes injured foot. Completing in 44 days represents a magnificent effort and walking the Camino together must represent a magical shared experience. you are ahead of me in scheduling a return to the Camino Del Norte in 2017. I will be a year behind you. Having done Camino Frances I guess will be a big help in practical terms and an inspiration in so many other aspect Good luck and Buen Camino.................Peter

Thank You Peter! I was supposed to take her on a cruise for our 46th wedding anniversary(2016), you can imagine the look on her face when I told her that I had cancelled the cruise and booked flights to France to walk the Camino. This year, no surprises, she knows and is working with me on planning our 47th Anniversary trek of the Camino del Norte' as I write this. Amazing how things work out..... Buen Camino !
Bill & Joan

Last edited:
Thank You Peter! I was supposed to take her on a cruise for our 46th wedding anniversary(2016), you can imagine the look on her face when I told her that I had cancelled the cruise and booked flights to France to walk the Camino. This year, no surprises, she knows and is working with me on planning our 47th Anniversary trek of the Camino del Norte' as I write this. Amazing how things work out..... Buen Camino !
Bill & Joan

After that "bombshell", you married the right lady, well done Joan. the world is getting smaller through this sort of medium and the world is full of conicidences..................I/we too have been married 47 years. To walk one Camino together is a privilage, to walk two Camino's back to back years is a blessing. Buen Camino.................peter

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well kinnear, the length of string does rather depend on a few variables e.g. how far in total you're walking, how fast and for how long you walk each day, etc! (I tried to upload a simple end-date calculator for you, but it's an Excel file and the forum software doesn't allow uploads of that file type. Anyway, you can get a copy of the file from the link at the bottom of the daily walk summary here - you just need to enter your start date, the total distance you'll be walking, your average walking speed and hours per day and the number of non-walking days and the calculator will show you the total days required and the end date.) Anyway, from my experience 40 days SJPdP to SdC is reasonable. I took 37 days to do the same, plus 7 non-walking days - 1 in Pamplona, a couple in Burgos and 4 in León (to rest a strained thigh muscle). That's pretty much what I'd estimated when I was planning my travel from the Antipodes and I then added a couple of weeks on the end for contingencies and to allow for some post-Camino travel in Portugal. On average, I walked 4 3/4 hours a day on the Camino at around 4.4 km/h, with another couple of hours spent each day lazing in cafes, talking with other peregrinos, resting and enjoying the countryside ...

Thank you for a
Well kinnear, the length of string does rather depend on a few variables e.g. how far in total you're walking, how fast and for how long you walk each day, etc! (I tried to upload a simple end-date calculator for you, but it's an Excel file and the forum software doesn't allow uploads of that file type. Anyway, you can get a copy of the file from the link at the bottom of the daily walk summary here - you just need to enter your start date, the total distance you'll be walking, your average walking speed and hours per day and the number of non-walking days and the calculator will show you the total days required and the end date.) Anyway, from my experience 40 days SJPdP to SdC is reasonable. I took 37 days to do the same, plus 7 non-walking days - 1 in Pamplona, a couple in Burgos and 4 in León (to rest a strained thigh muscle). That's pretty much what I'd estimated when I was planning my travel from the Antipodes and I then added a couple of weeks on the end for contingencies and to allow for some post-Camino travel in Portugal. On average, I walked 4 3/4 hours a day on the Camino at around 4.4 km/h, with another couple of hours spent each day lazing in cafes, talking with other peregrinos, resting and enjoying the countryside ...
Thanks for all your efforts and those calculations. I've booked a flexible return flight from Paris giving me nearly two months to enjoy a leisurely Camino and a little time before and more after. Your pace sounds good. Can't see any reason not to slow it down. Seven months the today I have a prewalk rest day in SJPDP - not that anyone is counting down!!

Hi Lisa
i definitely want those rest days at the end whether in Santiago or Finnis Terre and if there's time some tourist days in Paris simply because I may never get back. Thank you for the reference to Pilgrim House, I've subscribed to their newsletter. I do remember 10 years ago feeling uncomfortable in the cities in my pilgrim gear (as an older woman - and much older now!) and keen to get back on the way. Perhaps it has changed a bit with more pilgrims. Did you make any arrangements for alternative clothing?
Thanks
Barbara
Hi Barbara. No, I did not arrange for alternate clothing in Santiago. I wasn't sure just how many days I would be there, so didn't bother. I did, however, go on a spending spree once I got there...buying some jewelry and a couple of items of "Camino" themed clothing. Since I'd resisted buying anything while I was walking (every ounce counts!) I got to let it go in Santiago. :) This did give me some alternative items to wear. However, since you are going to be a tourist in Paris, it might be worth it to you (or just plan to go shopping in Paris....hmmmm)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Shopping in Paris...now there's a thought. :) Figure my husband will be shaking in his (non-hiking) boots at the thought.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.