• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

reality about any discimination ?

1MALAYSIA

Hi all,
My question can potentially be sensitive and might sound silly, even taboo to some ( apologies) - we had so looked forward to doing the Camino but do not wish to get unwittingly " discriminated ". We are chinese, christians and will be very grateful for any advise or alerts that anyone can us.

We have travelled in many parts of Europe and do hope is the same too in Spain - a pleasant experience. We don't mind the occasional out of ignorance and want to believe that all person especially along the camino don't care about such but are frankly getting bit apprehensiveness.
Thank you :?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think that you will be very pleasently surprised at the diversity on the Camino. There are people of all races and origins with no discrimination that I have ever detected.
I have walked with Chinese, many Koreans, Japanese and other Pilgrims from Asian countries. In addition there are Asian Americans.
I would be very surprised if you were able to detect any problems along the way.
There may be an ignorant moron...but unlikely you will run across such a person. They would be just as likely to dislike Americans. :wink:
Enjoy your Camino with a calm mind.
Buen Camino

you will have no problems like that,I walked in september and there were many asian people walking with us most days.Everyone got along with everyone and had great times.There are people from all races and backrounds walking the camino and thats the beauty of it.Its fantastic to meet new people and learn of there amazing stories.Buen camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
1MALAYSIA said:
.. we had so looked forward to doing the Camino but do not wish to get unwittingly " discriminated ". We are chinese, christians and will be very grateful for any advise or alerts that anyone can us.
As others have already written, you may not have to worry. You can check monthly statistics of nationalities arriving in Santiago: http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/post-p ... adisticas/
Welcome to a great, undiscriminating road!

Most pilgrims are wonderfully open-minded. Occasionally I will encounter a Camino native (a Spaniard who lives along the way) who just doesn´t get it, especially where Japanese/Korean pilgrims are concerned. This is extremely rare, but it does exist -- it is not hurtful, hateful discrimination, just the kind of jokes made by ignorant people, who assume the Asian person does not understand what is being said. Or those who think their Spanish will be better understood by the foreigner if it is shouted at them!

Like someone else alluded, I have seen a lot more bigotry directed toward/about/to Americans than to Asians. And even that is simple ignorance, not malice.

Reb.

I second the comments made by others. I think you are unlikely to have any problems, certainly not among pilgrims.
I've just had a look at the statistics linked to above and I am surprised to see so that 45% of the foreign pilgrims were Portuguese. I have absolutely nothing against the Portuguese, I love Portugal, but I never met a single Portuguese any time I did the camino before. But I did meet lots of French, which nationality is not mentioned in the stats. Have things changed so much recently?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am quite sure you will be pleasantly surprised. Despite the fact that there are ignorant individuals throughout this world, I am sure that a more diverse and cosmopolitan melange could hardly exist than the ragtag bunch that are pilgrims on their way to Santiago. The route is ancient and those who live along the route have ample experience of the seasonal ebb and flow of the tide of pilgrims that pass on foot, on bike or by whichever means thet choose.
Elsewhere in Spain there is also increasing and sufficient diversity that your worries may well be unfounded too.
All in all I see no reason for undue concern.
Enjoy your journey.
All the best,
Duncan.

Just to proove that Chinese people are welcome in Spain.
In Santo Domingo de la Calzada where the camino passes, there is a Chinese non-food supermercado in the Calle de Madrid. I bought there quality shoe shine for an incredible low price.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, do not worry. I met several Asians on the Via de la Plata, and certainly many in Santiago, and everyone had had a great experience. Yes, you may run into an ignorant person, but that can happen anywhere. Have a great time!

Melanie

I can only remember 3 Asians in 3 caminos, but that doesn't mean there aren't more.

One wonderful elderly Japanese gentleman was on a wine tasting camino. He ordered the best wine of the region from a list he had prepared and made detailed notes on each wine. He took the bottles back to his room and soaked the labels off to keep in a scrapbook.

Then there was the couple from Brazil who were of Asian descent. He was enthusiastic and walked fast. She seemed to be doing it as a duty to her husband and walked slowly. I wonder if their marriage lasted.

Some people may perceive prejudice, but it may be social or economic. If you act weird, you may not connect with as many people, and if you wear a $450 jacket and have a new $200 pack you may feel conspicuous. Get some dust on your boots. Some Americans are conspicuous because their entire kit is new, and cost $1500... then there is the unfounded, world wide prejudice towards Americans.

skilsaw said:
.....ANIP. Some Americans are conspicuous because their entire kit is new, and cost $1500... then there is the unfounded, world wide prejudice towards Americans.

...and what do Canadians wear? Do Canadians buy used kit for their first Camino and pay peanuts? :shock: :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm Canadian and I'm afraid I will be the one carrying the new $200 backpack among other things ... I guess I'll have to deal with my embarrassment for not having any adequate gear necessary to attempt walking 800 km gathering dust in my basement :mrgreen: The gear I do have, while quite dusty and worn is altogether too robust and heavy to do the Camino :wink: Ultralight is not something I have ever done before but it IS something I am looking forward to doing a lot more as the years progress so while my gear may be shiny and new at the start of the Camino, I'm sure it will get dusty enough to satisfy all but the most discriminating Peregrinos after the first day :)

I had been walking with korean and japanese pilgrims in the past. They all reported about the warm reception they received on the Camino in general. The majority of pilgrims are open-minded and do have respect especially for the pilgrims who come from far away to walk the Camino. Everywhere in the world You find ignorant people and as You traveled in Europe before, there is no need to worry for You.
You also will be able to find asian food along the Camino. Chinese/Thai restaurants You can find in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Santiago. Enjoy Your Camino!

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi 1Malaysia,

Coming from a Chinese from Singapore, don't worry lah! (local slang)

After 3 caminos, here are some personal experience for your reference.

A couple school kids outside made the slant eye gesture to me.
I reciprocate by making the round eye gesture back at them.
They laugh.
I laugh.
Anyway, they don't mean anything bad by that, they are just kids.

One bar ownder on the Camino via de la Plata asked if I am Chinese.
I said yes. Kind of, but not from China.
He was ecstatic.
The reason was that he had a number the wooden blocks outside his cafe with the word 'Welcome' in all the languages.
He is missing the one with Chinese.
My coffee was free.

One time during dinner, I tried my Spanish and asked the guy at the bar where is the 'baño' (toilet).
He says 'Arriba!'.
I said 'Arriba Arriba Andale! Speedy Gonzales cartoon?'
He laugh.
He pointed to the second floor.
I learned a new word that day.

In short, my love for Spain is their nonchalant attitude to foreigners.
If you speak Spanish great, if not they are still going to speak to you in Spanish.
But you don't get the bad feeling that they are looking down on you.
They do the same to everyone else :)

You will be walking through the heartland of Spain.
Just don't expect people to speak to you in English.
If they do, it's a bonus.
My Spanish is still atrocious by the way.
The thing is to look beyond that and just absorb everything you can on the camino, the aches, the pain, the food, the people, the places, and most importantly, yourself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi satuMalaysia,
You, as evanlow says, will find the Spanish people very accommodating and friendly, our own experience as Chinese of Malaysian origin with the local people was inspiring. You need to learn a few basic words of Spanish, as Malaysian you have the advantage of knowing romanised English and Malay, the steps to learning enough polite Spanish phrases is much easier.
My own recollection was going into a photostudio in a small town to burn our photos into a CD; accidentally included in the SIM card were photos of our grandkids doing the Chinese Lion Dance back home, when the man doing the processing saw the pictures he called his wife and children, we had a lively discussion on the cultures in broken Spanish and assisted with hand gestures, and a young man who spoke enough English. we passed a happy afternoon exchanging pleasant views of differing cultures.
I would be extremely surprised if you experienced discrimination as a race, you would face more discrimination if your feet smelled or ate dried fish or bring durian, or carried and showed off high tech equipment, so be humble, discreet, and enjoy and follow the flow.
There were some rough spots with relationship but this is to be expected with such a diverse range of people on the road.
At the end of the journey there is a very good Chinese restaurant in Santiago, follow the trail after the Cathedral, go down past the railway station, and into a busy street. They speak English.

Selamat jalan.

Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back