• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reality?

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi All,

Well I finally completed my Camino adventure. It took 34 days to walk from SJPP to Fisterre, and let me tell you this has been a mindblowing experience. Living a simple life of walking, sharing, reflecting and friendships has been so moving.

I'm struggling being back in my so-called 'real' life. What is real? They say the life I'm leading back home is the real thing, I don't think so, the Camino is what is 'real' in life.

Are there people out there who are experiencing these kind of thoughts/emotions as I'm finding it really hard being back in my normal life. I feel as though my inner foundation has been ROCKED! to say the least.... hehehe

I'd love to hear from others.

Once again thank you all, for your support, advice, encouragement it has helped and guided me to finaly live this WONDERFUL life changing dream.

Love, light, friendship and laughter to you all
Sonia
:D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome back Sonia,
If you don't care about foreign affairs, world oil prices or Paris Hilton: you can't believe that you have so many clothes in your cupboards or that the supermarket has so much food! The room is too quiet at night to sleep properly - you can hear very little sound. Your back feels bare without the pack.
You are suffering from PPBs - Post Pilgrimage Blues! There is no cure and the only treatment is to plan your next magical walk-about.
Did you sister join you at the end?
Bendigáis,

Hi Sonia,
Congratulations. Well done.

I walked the Camino last October and when I arrived in Santiago I sent an SMS message to family and friends saying something like "30 days 800kms, 30 pilgrims menus (some good some bad and some Ugly) 90 cafes con leche, 60 beers and lots of good company. Done finished".

One friend a fellow walker replied saying "I wonder if the "non-walkers" have an appreciation of what you have achieved.

This got me thinking, many people say how fantastic etc but unless you have done something similar you can't really appreciate the joys and sometimes pain and stuglle of walking that sort of distance in that time with pack etc. Some peopl want to know more and others just say a sort of "thats nice"

I guess if people don't understand you can't explain it to them.

That was one of the difficulties I encountered when I returned home. There was no one to share the experience with whereas on the Camino every day or every hour you meet someone who know exactly what you are going through.

My life was obviously in transition when I walked, but since returning I've made some fairly life changing decisions. (happy to discuss further if you wish).

Anyway welcome back (even though you may want to be still out there) and Congrats.

Does that group still meet at the Spanish club in Sydney.

Regards

Pablo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your replies and good wishes folks.

Sil unfortunately my sister couldn't make it over, although I was fortunate enough to have met and established several beautiful friendships along the Camino and together we walked into Santiago.

As much as I love the Camino Frances I don't think I'd do the same one again. Firstly, I found the Camino a little overcrowded and secondly I wouldn't want to cloud my 1st experience with another. Although Le Puy looks good and I love the French countryside! :wink:

All in all I've come to realise we don't need much in life to make us happy, realising this I've decided next year I'm heading off to volunteer in South America for a year. Thank you Camino.

Pablo I'd be really interested hearing more about your life changing decisions, as I feel I need to make some decisions as well. It'll be nice to chat to people who have experienced similiar feelings. And I believe they still hold the gatherings in Sydney, I think the next one will be held on the first Saturday of August, I'll get back to you on that.

Take care
Buen Camino through life
Love, light and smiles
Sonia

On Facebook there is a group "Camino de Santiago 2008". Join, and encourage the friends you met on the Camino to join, and you can post photos, videos, and messages. It is a good social networking opportunity to stay in touch.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Falcon thanks for the tip. I've just joined all the Camino de Santiago 2008 groups...hehehe...

I'll definitely let my newfound friends know.

Thanks again
Buen Camino through life
Love, light and smiles

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back