• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Really Dumb Albergue Question. Sorry.

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, so I'm not really an Albergue person.
At least not in the sense of communal sleeping and bathroom arrangements. :rolleyes:

The Albergues I have stayed in were great, but I played chicken and had a private room.
My main 'excuse' being I did not want to inflict my snoring on others.
But as I lose weight, my snoring is rapidly reducing, so watch out :eek:

My Question...

At the end of the day, when you want to get out of your walking clothes, shower, and get into fresh clothes.........
What is the etiquette?

1. Waltz off to the showers with a towel wrapped around you?
  2. Head into the shower in dirty clothes, with clean clothes in a bag, ready to put on after a shower?
How does all that work?

#1 would certainly be the easiest and simplest 'process'.

But just want to make sure I am prepared with suitable 'coverings' so as not to offend anyone!

My current towel is about 6 inches too short to use as a wrap around! :oops:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Head into the shower in dirty clothes, with clean clothes in a bag, ready to put on after a shower?
That's how I do it. Big waterproof bag that carries my soap/shampoo, towel, and clean clothes. Really pretty easy. I used a giant ziplock with handle on my first Camino, but since then I've made a bag out of waterproof fabric.

Seen both. I took my briefs, soap and towel with me, came back in briefs with dirty clothes in hand. No point in taking a bag. When i felt fancy, i'd take shorts and shirt with me, but thats been less than half of the times.
If your eyes cant handle a man in briefs, don't stay at an albergue. Or dont go to a beach, swimming pool, whatnot.

edit: my towel is barely big enough to cover the private parts, not even near to be wrapped around.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a wrap around towel. Yes. Who wants to carry a full sized bath towel!
I like my Packtowl UltraLite - you could even get the largest Beach size which is 91cm x 150 cm and it still only weighs 150 grams.

I like my Packtowl UltraLite - you could even get the largest Beach size which is 91cm x 150 cm and it still only weighs 150 grams.

aint that a bit excessive? the 40g one will do just as fine. BANG. another 110g saved from your pack ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seen both. I took my briefs, soap and towel with me, came back in briefs with dirty clothes in hand. No point in taking a bag. When i felt fancy, i'd take shorts and shirt with me, but thats been less than half of the times.
If your eyes cant handle a man in briefs, don't stay at an albergue. Or dont go to a beach, swimming pool, whatnot.

edit: my towel is barely big enough to cover the private parts, not even near to be wrapped around.

That's about what I have done. Oh and I agree with the "man in briefs" comment. Just avert your eyes.

aint that a bit excessive? the 40g one will do just as fine. BANG. another 110g saved from your pack ;)

Mine is 100 cm v 50 cm. (80 gms) Plenty big enough to use as a towel!
Just not big enough to wrap around.
No way I want to tote a huge towel......

So I'll go with the advice of 'take clean set of clothes' (or at least underwear and shirt) to shower with me. :)

That's about what I have done. Oh and I agree with the "man in briefs" comment. Just avert your eyes.
The “aversion of the eyes” is a comforting and embedded European trait, common in much of Asia too. Those who share a common space will not “see” you because they will not be looking. Common decency dictates that you will display no more than they will not see. Wear your towel, or some discretion, to the shower or while changing. I was taught that Himself made us all in his image - “Nothing to see here folks: move along, move along!”.

I use the ExOfficios boxer briefs and figure they are as modest as most men's swimming trunks so I just take off everything else except those and a t-shirt and head to the shower (with toiletries and a clean set hand for the way back. From the shower, it's straight to the laundry area so no wasted steps in between.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At least not in the sense of communal sleeping and bathroom arrangements. :rolleyes:

The Albergues I have stayed in were great, but I played chicken and had a private room.

My Question...

At the end of the day, when you want to get out of your walking clothes, shower, and get into fresh clothes.........
What is the etiquette?

2. Head into the shower in dirty clothes, with clean clothes in a bag, ready to put on after a shower?
How does all that work?

But just want to make sure I am prepared with suitable 'coverings' so as not to offend anyone!

Get a bigger towel, it will dry you faster.

I go to the showers in my dirty stuff, and change into my clean stuff when I’m all cleaned up. There is frequently a little ante-chamber attached to the shower that keeps all the stuff dry, and I take my dry sac with me anyway. From the shower I go to the laundry. While the clothes are drying I go for my snack and nap. After that: wandering about town and supper.
Camino accepts all kinds but I do appreciate the absence of genital displays in the co-ed areas.

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

Just put your sunglasses on. If you can’t see them, they can’t see you.

More seriously, I’m a little more circumspect than our ‘just get your kit off, if they don’t like it it’s their problem’ colleagues. Whilst not being ridiculous, if I can get changed in the shower area, then I do.

If the good Lord made me in his image, he must have just taken delivery of a bulk-order of clay.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear my clothes I walked in for the day into the shower with my water shoes. In a simple plastic bag I have my clean clothes, soap, baby flannel towel...and my hip belt with all my valuables. After showering I dry off, put on my clean clothes, then head to the laundry area to wash the others...not rocket science and no need to expose myself to any one.🙂
I enjoy the uniqueness of the albergue experience "some" of the time while on the Camino...I use hotel rooms on all other traveling I do...very predictable.

I use the ExOfficios boxer briefs and figure they are as modest as most men's swimming trunks so I just take off everything else except those and a t-shirt and head to the shower (with toiletries and a clean set hand for the way back. From the shower, it's straight to the laundry area so no wasted steps in between.
Guys have it so much easier...just sayin'.

I did want to add a wee caution if you are new to the albergue way....
On the day you arrive in Portomarin, either stay there or skip Gonzar unless you can get into the private albergue there.
The showers at the muni had me let out a exasperated phrase that my Spouse could hear on the gent's side.
I can't afford hotels every night, but about once every 10 days.... and with Gonzar significantly beyond Portomarin, I'd say that even if Portomarin is busy, a hotel will likely have a spot. I stayed in a garret room in a hotel there on my first saunter through and it was quite comfortable.

Be aware that bathrooms/showers can be quite a distance from the sleeping rooms. They aren't exactly ensuite. I've stayed in more than one albergue where a middle of the night call of nature required walking up or down a flight of stairs and down a hallway or two.
In fact in Güemes on the Norte I had to go outside and around 100 meters to get to the bathroom. If you're comfortable doing that in your skivvies more power to you! 😄

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

I have seen it all, from the casual nude walking to/from the shower to the overly clothed.

In my case, I don't mind but I prefer to not subject others to the sight of my body 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Be aware that bathrooms/showers can be quite a distance from the sleeping rooms. They aren't exactly ensuite. I've stayed in more than one albergue where a middle of the night call of nature required walking up or down a flight of stairs and down a hallway or two.
In fact in Güemes on the Norte I had to go outside and around 100 meters to get to the bathroom. If you're comfortable doing that in your skivvies more power to you! 😄
Oh yes! And the dash across the courtyard in the Cacabelos converted church!!! That’s an al fresco dash too!

I wore that day’s walking clothes to shower with change of clothes in a bag and all my valuables; undressed and dressed in shower stall.

Getting into bed clothes on, getting out of bed clothes on, in between my birthday suit sufficed with no bits and boobs showing.
That's exactly my story. Getting dressed in clean clothes in the shower stall was not always easy (sometimes a balancing act), but where there is a will, there is a way. I slept in my clean clothes, too; not the coziest, but in a few days it actually felt quite normal.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I sleep cold. At home my wife will have her blanket on 2 or 3 and I'll have my side on 5 or 6. For many years now, at least 40+, when I travel anywhare, I always have a large towel with me. Some places don't provide extra blankets. On the Camino I just have a "modern micro fiber" towle.

I sleep cold. At home my wife will have her blanket on 2 or 3 and I'll have my side on 5 or 6. For many years now, at least 40+, when I travel anywhare, I always have a large towel with me. Some places don't provide extra blankets. On the Camino I just have a "modern micro fiber" towle.

Electric blankets! That brings back memories from the freezing winters in the UK :eek:

Now in Sydney Australia it's a question of how cool to set the Aircon at night, and what time of year to actually put a quilt on the bed rather than the summer thin cotton blanket. :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I go to the shower in my walking clothes and do the "balancing act" like many others. In the little shower bag I usually carry my luxury item: sleeping clothes. It´s just another tshirt and shorts, but I only wear them for sleep. In case of emergency, they can be walking clothes, but the sensation of having a set that didn´t spend the day n the road makes me sleep much better :)

And flipflops. Always wear flipflops in the shower.

It is a matter of perception isn't it? If you strip down to your underpants, or underpants and bra, you are showing no more of yourself than everyone on a beach, so it is perception and perhaps shyness.

I have tried stripping down to underpants and t shirt and carrying those replacements in but it seems weird somehow - it becomes more of a strip in one's head than getting down to what you wear on a beach.

So now I go to the shower in my shorts and t shirt or shirt - but where the real difference between shorts and under-shorts or pants? I only change my underwear daily, my top clothes I wear for days and days, they are natural fibre so don't start smelling for ages, unlike synthetic which pongs within hours of a hot day ... so we stroll to the bathroom all 'decent' and so on but then at night with the lights still on everyone in the room strips down to almost nothing and gets into bed - none of it makes sense :D .

Re towels - I tried those hiking towels and found that they are horrible! they stick to the skin, they don't wrap round, so now I take a real towel ... it is a very worn one so is quite thin but it is cotton, not synthetic, so it doesn't stick - ah, the comfort, the modesty - some items just really should be carried - mind you, I take a flannel and a napkin too!!

Now, if we all wore swimsuits as our under-garments the whole problem would disappear ;)

Last edited:
For more on the drip-dry realities of showers check out this .earlier thread.
The posts are still relevant.

I have always enjoyed staying in albergues and taking a chance with the sanitary facilities is part of the trip. However before you decide what is best for you do consider if you need hot water for a shower? Can you balance soap, shampoo, and sponge in one hand while trying to regulate water temperature and/or flow with the other? When done can you put your clean clothes on while balancing on one leg to avoid puddles?

Whatever you do decide, enjoy it!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I take a flannel and a napkin too!!

I have often thought of that.
With a small wine glass and silver knife and fork, for civilised picnics along the way.
No need to let standards drop, just because we are away from home!
Of course you and I @David are English and of a certain age......... :rolleyes:

For more on the drip-dry realities of showers check out this .earlier thread.
The posts are still relevant.

I have always enjoyed staying in albergues and taking a chance with the sanitairy facilities is part of the trip. However before you decide what is best for you do consider if you need hot water for a shower? Can you balance soap, shampoo, and sponge in one hand while trying to regulate water temperature and/or flow with the other? When done can you put your clean clothes on while balancing on one leg to avoid puddles?

22 years in the Army...........I could do it at the bottom of a waterlogged Trench ;)

Not that I would want to of course! :eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't agree with the "If your eyes cant handle a man in briefs, don't stay at an albergue." comment, everyone should act with a bit of decorum and respect around others, not everyone may be comfortable around half naked men or women and should not have to move from an albergue because of it, we don't always know the background or reason for it.

I used a giant ziplock with handle on my first Camino, but since then I've made a bag out of waterproof fabric.
Hi,

Ah, leftover siliconized nylon fabric from your Parcho kit, I guess? Yes, quite a gold mine for various needs!:)

As always I strive for multi-useage: another use for the all purpose Altus raincoat?? Or maybe a (non see through) hiking kilt?
My travel towel of choice is a peshtamal or fouta, cotton one, 180cm x 95cm and weighing in at 210g. Dries quickly, can be used as a scarf, bedsheet, head cover in the heat of the day, sarong (even in my current, covid inflated state). Mind you my daughter insists on taking her own 200cm x 150cm XXL bath sheet with on her travels her even when staying in a hotel - each to their own.
And, as mentioned several times above, discretion is your friend - I was once woken from a siesta by a noise alongside me and opened my bleary eyes to see what appeared to be a bare derrière inches from me (the young lady turned out to be French so the word is appropriate). I shut my eyes again and feigned sleep but was reminded of something I once read: "a lady wouldn't look and a gentleman wouldn't mention it"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Robo, if you'd asked this question 10 years ago there'd be a lot more of us old lags describing this:
in the shower room/cubicle you strip off shorts, t-shirt, socks and briefs and put them in the shower well. Then stomp on them as you shower, and ring out when you've finished.
Cheers, tom
Too true Tom, I had to do this the last few years when working in SA, after the day the clothes were so full of red dust this was the only way to wash them. :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
During our first camino, we mostly stayed in municipal albergues. We quickly adapted to a cycle that worked well for us. Since we usually checked in early (2 pm or sooner), the bathrooms weren't very busy, so my wife took a shower while I watched our backpacks, then I took one while she guarded our things. We washed our clothes every third day, which saved us time on the alternate two days. We have nice, sturdy hiking Fjallraven pants and shorts (one each for each of us), which we'd wear three straight days. Since we hike from mid-Sept to end October, it was rarely hot / humid outside for us to sweat profusely.

After a shower, we changed into fresh underwear, merino wool socks, and Icebreaker merino wool shirts then put the same shorts / pants back on. During our third Camino Frances, we had private rooms with a private bathroom each night, so didn't have to compete with other pilgrims to take a shower or worry about others seeing us in our skivvies. We kept on a three day rotation to wash and dry our clothes. We'll follow the same routine this fall. And we'll leave our quick drying travel towns at home, since all rooms have linens, blankets and bathroom towels. Bob

The “aversion of the eyes” is a comforting and embedded European trait, common in much of Asia too. Those who share a common space will not “see” you because they will not be looking. Common decency dictates that you will display no more than they will not see. Wear your towel, or some discretion, to the shower or while changing. I was taught that Himself made us all in his image - “Nothing to see here folks: move along, move along!”.
Agree.
And:
I don't agree with the "If your eyes cant handle a man in briefs, don't stay at an albergue." comment, everyone should act with a bit of decorum and respect around others, not everyone may be comfortable around half naked men or women
Thank you @wayfarer.
I don't know how men would feel if the situation were reversed, but as a woman (and a religious) it is uncomfortable to have men walking inches from my face with almost nothing on. I remember naively being so surprised that genders are housed together in albergues, but that's the way it is.

Guarding the eyes is your friend.

And yes: I take a change of clothes into the shower with me, along with a hook to hang them on as a lot of albergues don't have anywhere to hang anything.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With so many diverse cultures walking the Way, and their various comforts with the naked human body, I saw a little bit of everything; nudies walking with pride to the washrooms, men in briefs and nothing else, topless ladies, etc..you get the picture. I chose to go to the showers with my dirty stuff on and ta daaaah - emerge with my clean stuff on. It is admittedly very tricky to do when there isn't a little anti-shower room, or any hooks in the shower stall, or when in a co-ed washroom, but it can be done. I'm not professing to speak for all Canadians, but this one isn't a nudie, so I used some decorum. Lol. If you are someone who doesn't mind waking undressed from the shower, I also saw some ladies with sarongs or baby muslins wrapped around themselves, which apparently worked very well and dry in no time. Next time! I took one of those fast drying towels but found it wasn't very absorbent and just moved the water around on my body!
Sharon

Agree.
And:

And yes: I take a change of clothes into the shower with me, along with a hook to hang them on as a lot of albergues don't have anywhere to hang anything.
I always take an S hook into the shower area to hang my plastic bag on. However with each passing year since 2015 I've needed to use it less and less as pegs or hooks seem to be provided more often.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

On my two Camino’s I have always headed to the shower in the clothes I have walked in (minus boots and socks!)....showered, dry off and on with fresh clothes then off to wash the clothes I have walked in! Never had a problem. Cheers!

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

My current towel is about 6 inches too short to use as a wrap around!

Personally, I don’t think just the towel situation is a good answer, do we really want to see all that?🤔 put clean clothes in a light weight dry sack, surly there will be a hook or stool. You can figure out the rest👍🚶🏼‍♀️

I go to the shower with my soap and my semi clean shirt and semi clean underwear and my clothes pins. I hang them over anything that is available, shower curtain rod, chair, or hook. Shower change into my semi clean clothes, (wear the same pants) go out and dirty clothes, dirty clothes, soap and clothes pins. Wash the dirty clothes with my bar of soap, to semi clean, hang them, go back to my bunk, brush my teeth, hang out, and repeat the next day. If I am doing my laundry, shower, put on only my rain pants or if clean my long johns, my jacket, try to find someone to split the cost of the laundry. Do the laundry and then put on my clean warm clothes. Easy peezy.

€83,-

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

Great question. I carried light weight gym shorts as PJs. Good for trips to shower or late night bathroom. The type that could have could been used as swimming trunks. Don't forget, keep valuables with you at all time. Never had a problem but just as an abundance of caution.

A friend who once did a stretch as a novice in a religious order told me of a useful concept from her days-- Custody of the Eyes. This was to prevent younger sisters from noticing good-looking religious and involuntarily flirting/making eye contact/checking them out. As an occasional manager of younger women, I found it a useful skill. And in those days when I frequented albergues (I fell into the private accommodation trap after my second Camino and have loved every day of it since), the practice of Custody of the Eyes was very convenient in navigating rooms full of German, Dutch, Spanish, and French pilgrims, who do not equate modesty with textile coverage.

In my pilgrim-training days, I would suggest to women pilgrims that they carry sarongish-wrap bits of cloth, which they would likely find very convenient. For those men who cannot manage the one-leg shower change exercise without falling over (balance and youth are not universal gifts), such bits of cotton do not take up much room or weight.

As always I strive for multi-useage: another use for the all purpose Altus raincoat?? Or maybe a (non see through) hiking kilt?
My travel towel of choice is a peshtamal or fouta, cotton one, 180cm x 95cm and weighing in at 210g. Dries quickly, can be used as a scarf, bedsheet, head cover in the heat of the day, sarong (even in my current, covid inflated state). Mind you my daughter insists on taking her own 200cm x 150cm XXL bath sheet with on her travels her even when staying in a hotel - each to their own.
And, as mentioned several times above, discretion is your friend - I was once woken from a siesta by a noise alongside me and opened my bleary eyes to see what appeared to be a bare derrière inches from me (the young lady turned out to be French so the word is appropriate). I shut my eyes again and feigned sleep but was reminded of something I once read: "a lady wouldn't look and a gentleman wouldn't mention it"

Right on Jeff. I hike in a synthetic material hiking kilt ( complete with the requisite pleats.) It washes and dries extremely quickly. It also makes an excellent article of clothing for trips to the shower or mid night bathroom trips. The waist band has velcro and so you wrap it around to the desired waist size, which changes during the Camino. The only problem is the velcro strips are quite wide and a hiking companion (Steve, if you are reading this, my apologies for past occurrences) advised that opening the velcro to get into bed was loud enough to cause several people to sit up in bed and bank their head on the top bunk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Has anyone tried using suction hooks to hold that bag of clothing and bits in the shower cubicle?
I have brought one, but sometimes you can't find a smooth surface to attach it to.
Ah, leftover siliconized nylon fabric from your Parcho kit, I guess? Yes, quite a gold mine for various needs!
Yes, leftover from my Parcho. 😊

It's always fun showering in the stall with the broken shower head bracket - which is to say most of them 😄
Holding the shower head up with one hand while you use the other to soap up.

Has anyone tried using suction hooks to hold that bag of clothing and bits in the shower cubicle?

Like these?

View attachment 92590
I have and found it very handy – until I left it on the bathroom wall at Tío Pepe's in Villar de Mazarife in 2017. It may still be there, or it might have found its way into a fellow pilgrim's shower kit. It was a real beauty in translucent red. 🤩

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

I did #2. How exactly it worked depends on the shower set up. Many albergues now have shower stalls with little "anterooms" where you can change (although they are not always necessarily 100% dry). Those that don't often have a hook or something presumably far enough away from the shower flow that your clothes won't get too wet. I would wear my dirty clothes to the shower and bring my towel and clean clothes with me in a ziplock bag to keep them dry. Take off the dirty clothes and pile them up or hang them up. I'm not too concerned about keeping them dry because I am about to wash them anyways. Have my shower. Dry myself off with my towel. Take my clean and dry clothes out of the ziplock bag and put them on. Stuff my dirty clothes and towel temporarily into the ziplock bag to transport them to the laundry area. Do the day's laundry. Put the clean clothes back into the ziplock bag.

Some albergues had showers that were more "communal" (generally the ones with gender segregated facilities) and without a good place to change/store clothes in the individual showers (if there were individual showers). In those cases I would generally walk to the shower area in my dirty clothes. In the shower area, take off the dirty clothes and pile them next to the ziplock bag with my clean clothes, and wrap myself in the towel to head into the shower stall. (if there was one). Only in a very few albergues were there not individual shower stalls.

€83,-

Like these?

View attachment 92590
I took a small plastic S hook to hang on the door frame when there weren't hooks in the shower area, as often was the case. Everything stayed nicely off the floor.

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

I always take an S hook into the shower area to hang my plastic bag on. However with each passing year since 2015 I've needed to use it less and less as pegs or hooks seem to be provided more often.
I found S hooks in Saint Jean and loved being able to almost always hang things up. There were two sizes available and I got the larger size.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Instead of S hooks consider taking shower curtain hooks. They can hold your clothes and towels and such if they have loops, are lightweight and can be used for other things like carabineers on packs.

To make them more like an S hook stretch open two, hang one on the wall and the other on the first.

images.jpg

Mine is 100 cm v 50 cm. (80 gms) Plenty big enough to use as a towel!
Just not big enough to wrap around.
No way I want to tote a huge towel......

So I'll go with the advice of 'take clean set of clothes' (or at least underwear and shirt) to shower with me. :)
A)
the bit missing should be placed on on of the sides of the hip, as not to offend too much.
after onemuch of walking and slimming (!) this width will deminish
B
Buy a larger towel...

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

I bought one of those quick drying light weight towels that are available in sizes from small to very large. I had a large one that I'd hang on the back of my backpack to dry during the day as I walked. There is a routine but no particular rules. I'd arrive at an albergue, find my bunk and put out my sleeping back on it to reserve it and then go off to wash my underwear, socks and tee shirt so they'd have a chance to dry overnight. I took three of each with me. Then off for a pilgrim meal. I loved those - three courses plus a bottle of water and bottle of wine for eight to ten Euros. I'd usually shower in the morning and go off to the shower wearing my underwear and carrying my towel and toilet bag. That was in 2009 and I admit that I'd find it more difficult now because I have a denture. I don't mind people knowing but I am uncertain about taking it to and cleaning it in a shared bathroom. Life!

€83,-

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

Number 2

Overwhelmed at the volume of responses for showering etiquette and towel measurements - there’s being prepared and there’s being prepared - don’t overthink this stuff man, leave stuff unthought - learn as you go man this is all part of the process.

While considering the most suitable bathroom attire do not forget this:

Regrettably an increasing number of thefts are made at Albergues - many when pilgrims (tired and relieved to have a bed for the night) - are observed going for a shower. Regrettably I speak from the personal experience of a loss of cash.

EITHER TAKE YOUR KEY VALUABLES WITH YOU OR LEAVE WITH A TRUSTED FRIEND.

Stay clean and safe!

I’m British and I was mostly a number 1 person, towel/sarong around me, and it mostly worked well for me. My balance is too dodgy to try putting clean, dry clothes on in a small shower cubicle. I had always brought up to believe as Tincatinker says about ‘the aversion of the eyes’. Where this went wrong was with cultural clashes, we met a few people from the States who made me feel as if I were being very rude doing this and I suddenly felt uncomfortably naked in a way I hadn’t before.

It is a matter of perception isn't it? If you strip down to your underpants, or underpants and bra, you are showing no more of yourself than everyone on a beach, so it is perception and perhaps shyness.

I have tried stripping down to underpants and t shirt and carrying those replacements in but it seems weird somehow - it becomes more of a strip in one's head than getting down to what you wear on a beach.

So now I go to the shower in my shorts and t shirt or shirt - but where the real difference between shorts and under-shorts or pants? I only change my underwear daily, my top clothes I wear for days and days, they are natural fibre so don't start smelling for ages, unlike synthetic which pongs within hours of a hot day ... so we stroll to the bathroom all 'decent' and so on but then at night with the lights still on everyone in the room strips down to almost nothing and gets into bed - none of it makes sense :D .

Re towels - I tried those hiking towels and found that they are horrible! they stick to the skin, they don't wrap round, so now I take a real towel ... it is a very worn one so is quite thin but it is cotton, not synthetic, so it doesn't stick - ah, the comfort, the modesty - some items just really should be carried - mind you, I take a flannel and a napkin too!!

Now, if we all wore swimsuits as our under-garments the whole problem would disappear ;)
My way too. The joy of throwing a cotton towel over our shoulder and giving ourselves a right good scrub.A wonderful feeling. As the towel is worn and thin it weighs next to nothing and dries quickly.

€83,-
Guys have it so much easier...just sayin'.
My thoughts exactly! Guys have it so easy. I have not done a Camino- COVID May 2020 got in the way- so have not experienced the Albergue life. But I have experienced a lot of athletic lockers, although not co-ed, so am not sensitive to others going to and from the shower in minimal towel attire, plus have been to a few Cretan beaches that have clothes as an option. But it is important to be respectful of others. Maybe even categorize the thread b/w European/Others and American and see what the response is. I find Americans (I’m American) to be the most insecure and prudish when it comes to nakedness. Love this thread! A few laughs on my end.

I’m British and I was mostly a number 1 person, towel/sarong around me, and it mostly worked well for me. My balance is too dodgy to try putting clean, dry clothes on in a small shower cubicle. I had always brought up to believe as Tincatinker says about ‘the aversion of the eyes’. Where this went wrong was with cultural clashes, we met a few people from the States who made me feel as if I were being very rude doing this and I suddenly felt uncomfortably naked in a way I hadn’t before.
Totally agree with ‘the States’ reflection!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
During our first camino, we mostly stayed in municipal albergues. We quickly adapted to a cycle that worked well for us. Since we usually checked in early (2 pm or sooner), the bathrooms weren't very busy, so my wife took a shower while I watched our backpacks, then I took one while she guarded our things. We washed our clothes every third day, which saved us time on the alternate two days. We have nice, sturdy hiking Fjallraven pants and shorts (one each for each of us), which we'd wear three straight days. Since we hike from mid-Sept to end October, it was rarely hot / humid outside for us to sweat profusely.

After a shower, we changed into fresh underwear, merino wool socks, and Icebreaker merino wool shirts then put the same shorts / pants back on. During our third Camino Frances, we had private rooms with a private bathroom each night, so didn't have to compete with other pilgrims to take a shower or worry about others seeing us in our skivvies. We kept on a three day rotation to wash and dry our clothes. We'll follow the same routine this fall. And we'll leave our quick drying travel towns at home, since all rooms have linens, blankets and bathroom towels. Bob
That’s what I would like, private rooms with private bathrooms. My plan is to walk the Pyrenees and cycle the rest of the way. How expensive is it to stay in a private room with a private bathroom, overall?

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

Depends on the situation at that particular albergue. I have a towel that will wrap around, but that still leaves the issue of what to do when you get back to your bunk & bag. If the place seems really crowded and there is no place to hide, I try to take at least base clothing (underwear/tshirt) with me to the shower in a bag I can hang somewhere out of water-range. If there is a convenient hiding place at bunk-side, I might return there with just a towel. I attempt to ignore other people in various states of undress and I assume they do the same with me (it would be to their advantage), but I am modest, so I understand your concern.

That’s what I would like, private rooms with private bathrooms. My plan is to walk the Pyrenees and cycle the rest of the way. How expensive is it to stay in a private room with a private bathroom, overall?
Cost per person depends on if you are a single or a couple sharing a room. For a couple around 20€ - 35€ a night each. A single around 25€ - 45€ a night.
You can check out prices on Gronze

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Just googled some prices and seems everything became much more expensive than a couple of years ago. I prefer albergues when on a Camino but time to time I choose a private place for some privacy and luxury.
The Gronze website is a good source.
You can then compare prices on booking websites like bookingdotcom ( which I seldom use ).
Family pensions are the places I prefer. Small scaled and a personal touch.
Most of them seem to have a shared bathroom but this I do not mind that much.
Then of course you have the more expensive hostales and hotels.

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

Robo.
Just be yourself, whats on the outside dosent matter, its whats in the inside that counts. Respect fellow pilgrims the best way you can. We are all one big fammily mate. As to snoring , well thats Camino life and pat of the expirince for everyone. Buen Camino and dont worry.

My thoughts exactly! Guys have it so easy. I have not done a Camino- COVID May 2020 got in the way- so have not experienced the Albergue life. But I have experienced a lot of athletic lockers, although not co-ed, so am not sensitive to others going to and from the shower in minimal towel attire, plus have been to a few Cretan beaches that have clothes as an option. But it is important to be respectful of others. Maybe even categorize the thread b/w European/Others and American and see what the response is. I find Americans (I’m American) to be the most insecure and prudish when it comes to nakedness. Love this thread! A few laughs on my end.
Heading into Los Arcos, on my first Camino, I had walked that day with a few German students, and then with a small posse of very-RC Californians (after the evening mass in the wonderful church of Santa Maria, they were seen intently instructing the priest in English on something or the other, likely his deficiencies or the absence of any mention of Međugorje). At the municipal albergue before dinner, we were about our ablutions and one of the German students was shirtless for a minute as she was changing-- I continued chatting with her companion as if this happened to me all the time.

Then one of the Californians approached me and asked me to talk with the German student about her changing practices. Being Canadian I tried to make peace and just commented that this was a European thing and not to worry-- we were all too tired to be concerned. This was not the support she expected, she told me, and returned to her companions to discuss this.

The German student asked me what the conversation had been about and I replied that it was nothing serious and not to worry about it. However, she had got the gist of it, and headed off to her shower; on the way back she had her towel slung over her shoulder and ensured that the Californians benefitted by the vision of what was worn on Pomeranian beaches. The Californian woman was most displeased and addressed me afterward, saying that she had expected better of people on a pilgrimage and was disappointed that I had not set the Germans right. I fear I was too tired to worry about it and, aided by the wonders of the pilgrim menu at a restaurant in the plaza, I quickly fell asleep.

While this was perhaps an extreme example of the difference in approaches, most US pilgrims I met fell into the groove quickly-- I really think that pilgrims' attention quickly turns to blister preparations-- and happily enjoyed the camaraderie and different customs of other nationalities. I should also note that this group was an outlier-- most devout US pilgrims I met were quietly joyful on their mission.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me, #2 is most efficient as I can take my clothes off in the shower, wash me, then my clothes, towel off, get dressed and go out and hang clothes to dry. Then, I have time to comb my hair and take care of any other things like brush teeth, lotion and potions, and FOOT CARE, before going for supper.

Before bed, I can check if my clothes are dry and if not, I can bring them in and hang them around my bunk, if needed. And, even if a bit damp, I can either tie to the outside of my pack in the morning or pack them on top so drying to can continue after I leave.

Robo, I'm very excited for you to be willing to embrace a mostly albergue Camino experience next time...quite the opposite of the usual progression. I found it a unique and interesting experience and hope you will appreciate it for the special experience it truly is, imo. I now enjoy a mix of both albergues and private lodgings.

€60,-
Heading into Los Arcos, on my first Camino, I had walked that day with a few German students, and then with a small posse of very-RC Californians (after the evening mass in the wonderful church of Santa Maria, they were seen intently instructing the priest in English on something or the other, likely his deficiencies or the absence of any mention of Međugorje). At the municipal albergue before dinner, we were about our ablutions and one of the German students was shirtless for a minute as she was changing-- I continued chatting with her companion as if this happened to me all the time.

Then one of the Californians approached me and asked me to talk with the German student about her changing practices. Being Canadian I tried to make peace and just commented that this was a European thing and not to worry-- we were all too tired to be concerned. This was not the support she expected, she told me, and returned to her companions to discuss this.

The German student asked me what the conversation had been about and I replied that it was nothing serious and not to worry about it. However, she had got the gist of it, and headed off to her shower; on the way back she had her towel slung over her shoulder and ensured that the Californians benefitted by the vision of what was worn on Pomeranian beaches. The Californian woman was most displeased and addressed me afterward, saying that she had expected better of people on a pilgrimage and was disappointed that I had not set the Germans right. I fear I was too tired to worry about it and, aided by the wonders of the pilgrim menu at a restaurant in the plaza, I quickly fell asleep.

While this was perhaps an extreme example of the difference in approaches, most US pilgrims I met fell into the groove quickly-- I really think that pilgrims' attention quickly turns to blister preparations-- and happily enjoyed the camaraderie and different customs of other nationalities. I should also note that this group was an outlier-- most devout US pilgrims I met were quietly joyful on their mission.
Ha. This totally delighted me.

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

I wear shirt and shorts into the bathroom, carrying a small water resistant travel tote bag that holds my fresh clothes, towel, soap, and my valuables. The bag hangs on a hook in the shower cubicle‘s dressing area, always in sight. No hook? My kit includes a plastic over-the-door hook. After showering, I put on my fresh clothes, put the dirty set in the bag with everything else, and exit.

I use those occasionally for my clothes line. They’re good IF the surface is really clean, flat, and smooth. Which is often not the case, so I also carry an over-the-door plastic hook.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had an experience on my first camino which showed me the hazards of albergue bathing. I was at Ruitelan, just before the walk up to O'Cebreiro, staying at Pequeno Potala albergue. I had gone to shower in the women's shower room, which contained a very small shower cubicle. After my shower, I decided to get out of the cubicle to dry and dress. I had just left the cubicle when the door to the shower room opened and a man's voice anounced, "And this is the women's shower room." I lept back into the shower, fell on the floor in the only position possible for the tiny space: a knot on the floor, with my neck twisted at an angle. The door to the hall closed, and I lay there, trying to figure out how I could get to my feet. Eventually, I managed it, noticing that there was no rubber mat on the very slippery floor. Everything else about that albergue was great, but I would never return unless I thought I could do without showering.

Something I read about (on this forum, no doubt) & tried a few times with some success:
  • wear your dirty clothes to the shower. Bring your clean stuff in a bag
  • also bring your toiletries AND some laundry soap (I find a bar of 'sunlight' type soap works for both body cleaning and laundry & it doesn't spill)
  • in shower, dump your dirty clothes on the shower stall & squirt (or rub) a little laundry soap on them
  • turn on water, wash yourself, & stomp around on your dirty clothes
  • rinse all of the above & finish off as usual
  • go straight to the clothes drying racks & hang up your laundered clothes
I tried this only when the shower floor looked cleaner than my dirty clothes & I realize that even so, this approach may gross some people out.

Sorry but I find it extremely inappropiate washing your clothes in the shower. There are designated ( outside ) washbassins just for that.
Please take into consideration that hot water in an albergue is a precious thing so keep your showeractivity short and swift!

Something I read about (on this forum, no doubt) & tried a few times with some success:
  • wear your dirty clothes to the shower. Bring your clean stuff in a bag
  • also bring your toiletries AND some laundry soap (I find a bar of 'sunlight' type soap works for both body cleaning and laundry & it doesn't spill)
  • in shower, dump your dirty clothes on the shower stall & squirt (or rub) a little laundry soap on them
  • turn on water, wash yourself, & stomp around on your dirty clothes
  • rinse all of the above & finish off as usual
  • go straight to the clothes drying racks & hang up your laundered clothes
I tried this only when the shower floor looked cleaner than my dirty clothes & I realize that even so, this approach may gross some people out.
I'm grossed out.

I always take clean close to the shower. One of the reasons is that sometimes I wash the dirty clothes after I shower rinse them out and then hang them to dry and I put on my clean clothes.

Sorry but I find it extremely inappropiate washing your clothes in the shower. There are designated ( outside ) washbassins just for that.
Please take into consideration that hot water in an albergue is a precious thing so keep your showeractivity short and swift!
I agree, and I met some pilgrims who were doing that, and ended up with bleach marks on their clothing from the bleach that had been used to clean the showers.

I use a clothes washing method that starts in the shower, but only takes maybe a minute more while I'm in the shower.
I put all of my clothes in a 12 liter dry bag, along with half a laundry detergent strip. Oftentimes you need to run the shower for a minute or so until it gets hot, and I use that water to fill the dry bag. I then seal it up and put it in the corner for everything to soak while I finish showering, dry off and dress.
I then take my portable washer/dry bag out to the laundry area. With the bag still sealed I shake it up to agitate it. Then I dump it into the laundry sink and rinse. I find that my clothes get a lot cleaner after they have soaked for a while, and I don't monopolize a laundry sink or tub. The laundry detergent strips that I use get the clothes clean without creating a lot of suds, so my clothes rinse out easily.

As far as hooks for the shower. I've seen this product on Amazon, which seems pretty expensive for a piece of plastic, but since it's so versatile it looks like it might be worthwhile.

41maBKUigAL._AC_.jpg51T0GyxHUFL._AC_.jpg

I always take clean close to the shower. One of the reasons is that sometimes I wash the dirty clothes after I shower rinse them out and then hang them to dry and I put on my clean clothes.
Do you hang your freshly washed clothes out to dry before you put on your new clean clothes, or after you get dressed?😉

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

Well Robo, firstly, you look about my vintage, and I wouldn’t be subjecting tired pilgrims to the sight of me heading off to the shower with an undersized towel around my waist. Just joking but just go to the shower in your dirty clothes, take the clean ones ( and they’re the only thing that you need to keep dry ) and wash your clothes later. You can buy some cheap plastic hooks nowadays at reject shops to hang your clothes on, and I have a fold up toiletries bag with a hook on it that I hang from the door. It holds everything you might need and these are available at outdoor stores and are worth double the price. I find most showers are good but rarely have adequate hanging points. These 2 hook up options solve that problem. Those small hiking towels don’t cut it as a wraparound. I saw a guy in Fromista, from a nationality that doesn’t have too many modesty hang ups like most Australians like I do , walk to the shower , passing everyone, in the nude - I can’t unsee that , it was a shocker but one of those unique Camino experiences that you probably laugh about afterwards. Keep walking, Steve

I agree, and I met some pilgrims who were doing that, and ended up with bleach marks on their clothing from the bleach that had been used to clean the showers.

I use a clothes washing method that starts in the shower, but only takes maybe a minute more while I'm in the shower.
I put all of my clothes in a 12 liter dry bag, along with half a laundry detergent strip. Oftentimes you need to run the shower for a minute or so until it gets hot, and I use that water to fill the dry bag. I then seal it up and put it in the corner for everything to soak while I finish showering, dry off and dress.
I then take my portable washer/dry bag out to the laundry area. With the bag still sealed I shake it up to agitate it. Then I dump it into the laundry sink and rinse. I find that my clothes get a lot cleaner after they have soaked for a while, and I don't monopolize a laundry sink or tub. The laundry detergent strips that I use get the clothes clean without creating a lot of suds, so my clothes rinse out easily.

As far as hooks for the shower. I've seen this product on Amazon, which seems pretty expensive for a piece of plastic, but since it's so versatile it looks like it might be worthwhile.

View attachment 93002View attachment 93003
@trecile, how much does your washing bag weigh? Do you have a link for it?

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

I did the latter. Most I saw were doing the same. Some people would also wash their dirty clothes in the shower, although I hear the albergues frown on that.

My Question...

What is the etiquette?

How does all that work?

I wear polypro boxers and simply wear those to the shower. Often, I'll drop them on the shower floor to give them a quick wash underfoot and put on a dry clean pair afterwards.

@trecile, how much does your washing bag weigh? Do you have a link for it?
Yup, I linked to it in my post. 😉 It lists the weight as .09 pounds, but the REI site shows are more accurate weight - 1.2 ounces.

€60,-
Yup, I linked to it in my post. 😉 It lists the weight as .09 pounds, but the REI site shows are more accurate weight - 1.2 ounces.
Thanks! Oops, I had missed it. Do you turn it inside out to dry it?

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back