• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reasonable time to arrive at an Albergue??

sam2santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago (250km) 2011
Sept
Camino 2014 sept/oct
So I am currently volunteering at a Albergue in Portugal and for the 2nd time in a week a pilgrim found me around the village at 2130hrs (not that hard).

In the “slow” season we register pilgrims between 1400 and 1900.

The 1st pilgrim who found me was lucky we had a bed, so was registered.

The 2nd pilgrim -we had a problem - we where full for the 1st time this month. I got the problem solved and rang the next Albergue (9km -ish). We (local helpful bar lady) finally got him into taxi, post a meal after 2300. As he ate and drank we talked (His 1st camino and 1st day).

I suggested he get to an Albergue at a reasonable time - we both speak the same language and he understood and did intend too , but got lost the route.

Anyway getting in the way of my cleaning - all day today is the thought ? what is a reasonable time to arrive at an Albergue??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So I am currently volunteering at a Albergue in Portugal and for the 2nd time in a week a pilgrim found me around the village at 2130hrs (not that hard).

In the “slow” season we register pilgrims between 1400 and 1900.

The 1st pilgrim who found me was lucky we had a bed, so was registered.

The 2nd pilgrim -we had a problem - we where full for the 1st time this month. I got the problem solved and rang the next Albergue (9km -ish). We (local helpful bar lady) finally got him into taxi, post a meal after 2300. As he ate and drank we talked (His 1st camino and 1st day).

I suggested he get to an Albergue at a reasonable time - we both speak the same language and he understood and did intend too , but got lost the route.

Anyway getting in the way of my cleaning - all day today is the thought ? what is a reasonable time to arrive at an Albergue??
Hi @sam2santiago
Great to see your post.
I see you are enjoying your time as ‘hospi’ at
Alpriate .. it has been posted lately as a good Ist stop out of Lisbon.
I’m on my way right now to our monthly Sydney pilgrims monthly meeting. You’ll be missed.
Buen Camino after your hospi time is over.

Annie
Ps. @Anniesantiago Quoting the normal open hours sounds reasonable to me.

@OzAnnie and @sam2santiago - I missed the meeting (track work). But I'll be in Lisbon on 16 October, to start walking. I see that the information for this albergue at Alpriate is closed for the season from the 15th. Sam - is that correct?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm assuming it will be cold and wet - not my favourite time!

@Kanga sorry I will miss you in Alpriate but I am enjoying my week here in in Alpriate. (Following this planning on my own camino Porto to SdC)

From observations of pilgrims yes it seems like a good stop. The village is small but has 3 bars/supermarket/daily bread truck and crochet on the trees.

The weather has been no rain and temps during the day between 26c and 30c

They are still working on exact close date but seems they will be open on your dates.

bom caminho and looking forward to catching up in Sydney at some stage

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So I am currently volunteering at an Albergue in Portugal (Alpriate)—all day today is the thought ? what is a reasonable time to arrive at an Albergue??

Hi again Sam
I thought further on this one also...and thought ‘reasonable ! To whom?’
- it may seem reasonable to a pilgrim to arrive within open hours ... but sure makes it difficult for any hospi trying to help them find a bed if it’s very late also. They may find it ‘completo’ which would mean the hospi would be kept up trying to locate alternative accommodation for them.. As even the weary hospi needs to get his/her sleep ‘ it would therefore not seem reasonable to arrive too late and stir up the winding down time of the whole albergue. Sometimes there would be reasons I’m sure, but if you are advising anyone what is reasonable- I’d think allow enough time to prepare for following days departure (wash ., sort gear , eat) before lights out.
Buen camino
Annie

As a hospi 7.30pm is the latest I have seen anyone arrive, and that time is foolish and would often fail to secure a bed for the pilgrim anywhere. But in theory the hospi is on duty till 10pm or when the albergue closes. I think you were very charitable to find alternative accommodation and transport for him. But your albergue was the first experience for him so maybe he didn't know the ropes yet.
Missed you yesterday, Sam, at the Sydney meeting

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back