• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Receiving and Giving: a post pilgrimage summary

Mark Duda

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
Written on a return flight to the States after 66 days on the Camino, September 7, 2018. (Without much correction).

My Camino: What was received and given

Two pelligrinas cried for me. One because I was willing to sleep on the ground so that she and her two daughters could take a bed. Another because she was young, in love with a young man, and forgot to leave enough time to say goodbye to her companions on her last day.

A woman brought me into her home when there was no bed to be found for pilgrims. Another, also, a month later. A Spanish pelligrino found us beds in Gijón after we walked the whole city. We only met at dawn in Priesca before Villaviciosa, passing each other while sprawled to rest on several mountainsides.

Countless strangers pointed the way. Some leading to be sure I found the Camino again. I was blessed. I was encouraged. I was cheered many times. I was given food, unasked, by strangers. I was given water. I was asked if I were well, thirsty, tired. I was awakened by concerned pilgrims from a distressed slumber.

People were patient with my language. Sympathized with my plights. Shared the thirst, hunger, pain, fatigue and hardships. Even animals. Some dogs barked. Some came to be petted. Some threatened. Cows looked. Goats, sheep and cats watched. Horses raised their heads.

Feet bled. Bugs bit. Rain soaked. Sun blasted. I thought I would always be thirsty. I thought the climb would never end. My shadow shortened, then grew. It reminds me less of the passage of time, but rather that all things are transient- pain too. Was it the fletcha or the concha that spurred me onward?

What I could give back to the Camino:

I treated other pilgrim’s blistered, bruised and painful feet with soap, betadine, bandages, lotion and advice. I encouraged, taught and cautioned. I treated some with heat stress, one seriously, at least three different times. I shared water, food, shelter, laughter and tears. I joked and told stories. I listened. I distracted and entertained. I repaired a backpack, shared or gave gear. I gave random gifts because they were unexpected (aren’t they always the best)? I helped others stand up, pack up, and load.

We walked together and shared. I witnessed the moment when nothing else could be done and stayed so that a pilgrim would not be alone.

I thanked our hosts. I thanked everyone I could express gratitude to at the right time and the right way. I thank all who make me who am am and hope to give them back a better reward by being the best person I can. And always, I will endeavor to help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Written on a return flight to the States after 66 days on the Camino, September 7, 2018. (Without much correction).

Two pelligrinas cried for me. One because I was willing to sleep on the ground so that she and her two daughters could take a bed. Another because she was young, in love with a young man, and forgot to leave enough time to say goodbye to her companions on her last day.

A woman brought me into her home when there was no bed to be found for pilgrims. Another, also, a month later. A Spanish pelligrino found us beds in Gijón after we walked the whole city. We only met at dawn in Priesca before Villaviciosa, passing each other while sprawled to rest on several mountainsides.

Countless strangers pointed the way. Some leading to be sure I found the Camino again. I was blessed. I was encouraged. I was cheered many times. I was given food, unasked, by strangers. I was given water. I was asked if I were well, thirsty, tired. I was awakened by concerned pilgrims from a distressed slumber.

People were patient with my language. Sympathized with my plights. Shared the thirst, hunger, pain, fatigue and hardships. Even animals. Some dogs barked. Some came to be petted. Some threatened. Cows looked. Goats, sheep and cats watched. Horses raised their heads.

Feet bled. Bugs bit. Rain soaked. Sun blasted. I thought I would always be thirsty. I thought the climb would never end. My shadow shortened, then grew. It reminds me less of the passage of time, but rather that all things are transient- pain too. Was it the fletcha or the concha that spurred me onward?

I treated other pilgrim’s blistered, bruised and painful feet with soap, betadine, bandages, lotion and advice. I encouraged, taught and cautioned. I treated some with heat stress, one seriously, at least three different times. I shared water, food, shelter, laughter and tears. I joked and told stories. I listened. I distracted and entertained. I repaired a backpack, shared or gave gear. I gave random gifts because they were unexpected (aren’t they always the best)? I helped others stand up, pack up, and load.

We walked together and shared. I witnessed the moment when nothing else could be done and stayed so that a pilgrim would not be alone.

I thanked our hosts. I thanked everyone I could express gratitude to at the right time and the right way. I thank all who make me who am am and hope to give them back a better reward by being the best person I can. And always, I will endeavor to help.

Please come to Santiago to work in the Pilgrim Office. You are EXACTLY the sort of pilgrim we / they are looking for. Search for my post on "Volunteering in the Pilgrim Office at Santiago" for everything you need to know. I look forward to seeing your there next year...

Your experiences parallel mine over my six Caminos. But you are the first person I have seen express it so concisely and cogently.

Thank you for your post. It made my day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Beautiful!!! What the Camino is all about..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.