• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent advice pls re getting poles from Adelaide --> Barcelona(Emirates) and about wrapping backpack

Hopeful Australian

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I hope this is my last question and thanks for earlier advice:

Is it still the case that poles can't be carried on (in a postage tube etc) when leaving Adelaide to Barcelona via Dubai? AT their shortest, they don't want to fit inside my backpack.

I've seen the advice about taking them up inside clear plastic bag/cheap shopping bag etc and checking the whole enchilada in .. but what about bag inspection? Wouldn't they be at risk of being unwrapped en route?

On my knees with gratitude for this forum - I'd be a basket case otherwise.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We've travelled to and from the Camino several times on Emirates (via Dubai and Nice, Paris and Madrid) and done a few different things:

Firstly, I always make sure the metal tips are completely covered - either with rubber stoppers or wrap in duct tape. Then I've

(1) attached my poles to the outside of my backpack with duct tape - and then put the lot inside a cheap woven plastic bag from a $2 shop
(2) attached the poles to outside of my backpack with duct tape and then had the whole thing wrapped with cling wrap stuff at the airport
(3) put the poles inside a poster tube, and then attached them to the backpack with duct tape - wrapped the pack straps (inside out) and hip belt around the tube and the pack and tightened everything and then circled the whole pack with lots of duct tape.

Bag inspection only happens at the end of the flight usually. If at all. Tends to only happen on arrival back in Australia, when we are inspected for biosecurity reasons.

I always check my backpack because it is too big to take on the plane. Never had a problem with Emirates.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Would take all the great advice here on transporting your trekking poles. I have seen poles confiscated a few times when people have attempted to bring them as carry on.

I have also flown with Emirates out of Adelaide many times and never had a problem with luggage including an epic Botswana>Jo'burg>Dubai>Adelaide over 3 days.

Used the Osprey Airporter duffel twice now, including my Camino last year Adelaide>Dubai>Paris>Dubai>Adelaide and pleased with how my backpack travelled.

I would like to think I get onto the plane/ Emirates with black diamond Z poles?
They fold into 3 segments and do not have a metal point. The point is rounded off plastic...

I would like to think I get onto the plane/ Emirates with black diamond Z poles? They fold into 3 segments and do not have a metal point. The point is rounded off plastic...
I fly Delta (because it is the "big" airline that flies out of our airport). Last time I sent only my BD Z Poles, shampoo and my picnic knife as luggage, and carried on my pack. This time I put my BD rubber feet on the poles, dropped them into a 3" mailing tube, dropped that into a neon orange and yello nylon carry bag I sewed and dropped that into my pack which I'll again carry on. I always get to the airport early anyway and hope the TSA will allow the poles as carry on to Madrid. If not, I'll just have to check the poles and hope they make it to Madrid. I'm hoping I can carry on everything, I'd like to grab a tight train connection to Burgos so I'll have more time to play there again. Either way the tube and carry bag are a one way deal, I send my poles in the pack as luggage on my way home (like last time). Good luck with Emirates!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pacerpole handles do not fit inside tubing so I just used a rubbish bag to wrap the poles up in and then duct taped the whole thing from top to bottom. Which was a real bugger when I wanted to get my poles out at the other end as my pocket knife was wrapped up in there too!
Flying back I had my poles and knife wrapped in the clear wrap stuff at the airport.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back