• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent Camino

Donovan

I recently completed the camino Levante. I started solo from Valencia, but joined up with other solo walkers for a good part of the way. Here are a few comments and opinions.

Credentials
Not available from the Cathedral. It seems the only place in Valencia that issues credentials is the Amigos office, however they are open only two hours per week. The Amigos credential is a very pretty document and of course fairly unique.

Waymarking
Generally good, but not always obvious. At intersections the arrows are not always at the location you might expect. Frequently they are located a little way down the correct path, so you have to make your best call on which path is correct and perhaps even walk a short way down the track. With the maps and common sense you will make the right call 90% of the time. It sometimes just takes a bit of patience, but is worth the effort to get it right as confirmation arrows can be far apart and it could be quite a while before you realise you are on the wrong path. The maps in the Amigos guide are invaluable.

The only really bad way marking was the last 25 km into Zamora, where I saw only one yellow arrow and that took me to a forest where I really didn't want to be. (See Laurie's notes about this). The instructions in the Amigos guide for this last section were quite adequate though the road walking among the fast moving traffic was a bit harrowing. In this area there were plenty of signs for the GR14 Senda del Duero, and I suspect that it would have been better to have followed that route from Villaralbo to Zamora. The Amigos instructions take you along the ZA-P-1102 and the C-605. The last section in particular has a lot of traffic. The direction marker in Villaralbo for the GR14 suggested a route between the main roads and the Duero., and the Amigos maps show that there is such a road.

The Levante/Sureste uncertainty was not a problem, thanks to previous postings. The two trouble spots at Minaya and Medina del Campo have both been covered by others and in summary are:
Minaya: at the Hotel Antolin cross the asphalt highway and follow the yellow arrow that takes you on a gravel road at right angles to the asphalt highway. Disregard the yellow arrow on a blue background near the hotel as it will send you down the Sureste.
Medina del Campo: standing with your back to the church of Santiago and the careterra in front of you, cross the careterra (there is a yellow arrow on the pole) and walk straight on down the road. The road bears left after about 40 metres - you are now on your way. You will see the rail bridge in front of you.

Signposting to the farmhouse about 7 km after San Clemente (see Laurie's notes) has still not been fixed. If you have Laurie's notes it is pretty obvious what to do.

Sometimes marking disappears in towns or villages. The instructions in the Amigos guide are usually sufficient to find the way. Occasionally may need to ask someone for directions.

The Way
Mostly very flat, with a few glorious days in the mountains between Escalona and Avila. Some stages recommended in the Amigos guide are a bit long, but can usually be broken into shorter distances.

The initial few days on asphalt are hard on the feet. I got small blisters on both heels for the first time ever, which I put down to repetitious striding on a hard surface.

Some of the stages would be brutal in hot weather as there is no shade, no fountain or any village to offer relief. The going was hot even in early April.

A previous comment by Laurie that the weather gods have decreed good weather for this camino still applies; I had only half a day of rain. However, if there is bad weather I feel it would have quite a hampering effect. There would be some serious mud in the early stages, as I saw when some overenthusiastic crop watering drenched part of the way. Also, some of the bogs in the mountains could be a problem.

Accommodation
Used a mixture of hostals/casa rurals and albergues, either taken from Laurie's post or from the recommended lists in the Amigos Guide. Hostal accommodation was generally very good and costs were mostly in the €15 to €25 range. Albergues ranged from quite basic to excellent, (Gotterrandura). Most albergues are not staffed and key collection, from a variety of sources, is required.

Accommodation is generally freely available, though be warned that both hostals in Escalona have closed and the only option now is the albergue in the local gymnasium - which is fine.

Pilgrim Numbers
Low, but increasing. From Valencia to Zamora I saw 1 group of five, 2 pairs and 5 singles, mostly fleetingly and in the evenings. It was extremely rare to see another pilgrim while walking.

Spanish
Very useful as virtually no English is spoken, anywhere. Particularly useful when collecting albergue keys, arranging albergue protocols and key drop offs as all have to be done in Spanish. My Spanish is only at the basic level but was invaluable. It's also a great conversation starter.

Enjoyable?
Absolutely. Wide open spaces. Castles. Famous cities. Some unheralded but very attractive towns. More castles. A chance to get way from it all. A physical challenge. And, as always the wonderfully hospitable Spanish people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I´m starting my solowalk from Valencia to Zamora 9 june. Thanks for your comments

Roger

Thank you so much for this.

I have booked at the Pension Paris as recommended by Laurie. Special pilgrim rate of 20 euros and quick response from a kindly lady. I shall also take the train for the first section as I see no joy in asphalt and want to make it to Toledo for the El Greco exhibition and can only get a ticket for the penultimate day, 13 June. Also a camino friend only managed two days on this camino and gave up, something I do not intend to do.

I generally buy several credencials when I am in Santiago. They generally fill in my name but it means you have some spares! How was it getting stamps on the way?

I take it that there was no problem with getting cash en route...

I am taking my compass but not the separate maps as they weigh and merely duplicate those in the book.

The blogs have been invaluable in shoring up my spirits as I am not sure that I want to be quite so solitary! At least I have reassurance on the waymarking.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Donovan, great report. I'm not surprised that you saw other pilgrims on the Levante, this route is definitely one that is calling to a lot of "repeat offenders."

Filly, I also found that the marking got very bad in the small towns, frequently I had to ask directions. I soon learned that if I asked for the "Camino de Levante", I frequently got a blank stare, but if I asked for one of the places mentioned in the guidebook as located on the route out of town, I always got back on track. So if I asked "where is the tunnel under the RR?" or "Where is the ethnographic museum?", I had no problem. But this, too, may be changing, as more and more people walk this route. People in the bars tend to be the most knowledgeable about the route because they get the pilgrim traffic, so that's a good place to ask as well.

Getting stamps is easy, all the bars, pensiones,tourist offices, etc have them.

A year ago I was walking this glorious route -- enjoy all those castles, plazas mayores, it is wonderful walking.

Buen camino, Laurie

I have not walked the Levante, but it is on my bucket list. I did, however, stop for two days in Avila en route from SdC back to Madrid. I was rather surprised that I couldn't get a "post-camino" stamp at the Avila cathedral. At that point, I wasn't hunting stamps (and so didn't check bar, museums, etc.) so much as looking for a final cathedral stamp.

Filly,
Getting stamps and cash – both no problem.
A compass was useful on occasions. I also had MapsWithMe loaded onto a tablet, which helped navigation through towns and was sometimes quite useful in the countryside.
Donovan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Having just got home from the Sureste/Levante I found a gps enabled tablet a useful tool as well.
Regards
George

Further to my comment on the final day’s walk into Zamora, I found this comment by Trevhock in an earlier post:

Just before Zamora there's a village called Vilaralbo, if you look at the map in the guide book the yellow marked camino joins the red marked CL-605 and the green marked ZA-610, I felt disaster, I chickened out and found the GR-14 camino del Duerno on my phone which was running to my right that takes you very quietly into Zamora. Very appropriate to finish the GR-239 on a very well marked GR-14.

Thanks Trevhock, if only I had read that I would have saved myself some rather ugly walking on busy roads.

For anyone planning this route, towards the end of Villaralbo there is a Y junction. The left fork is the ZA-P-1102 recommended by the Amigos, the right fork is signposted with a red GR-14 sign and seems the better way to go.

Donovan

Well, let's see if someone from the forum can figure this out. Like the others, I got lost on my way into Zamora. I've pulled out the guidebook and my journal, and here's what I can figure out. If you don't have the Amigos guidebook, this is unlikely to be helpful, sorry.

All is well until Villalazan, where there is a good cafe and an albergue if anyone is inclined to stop.

After Villalazan, the Camino route marked in the Amigos guide stays on the highway to Villaralbo.

However, somewhere in between Villalazan and Villaralbo, there is an arrow pointing you off road to the right. My notes say that it was right after a cement plant on the right side of the road. That's where we got lost, but had our Camino Angel appear at exactly the right moment to get us back on track. We somehow wound up at the point right on the river where the road heading straight east from Villaralbo meets the Duero. From there it was a straight shot on the middle of those three roads that all merge right before Zamora. All paved, small houses and ag land, little traffic.

I agree completely with Donovan that you do not want to take the guidebook's recommended route on that busy road, where the ZA-610 and the CL-605 merge. You should find a way to stay to the east of Villaralbo and take one of those minor roads.

Just one question for you Donovan and trevhock -- looking at the maps, is the GR-14 the paved road furthest to the right or the one in the middle? Or is it a path that we don't see on the map and actually stays next to the river (where that little bump out beyond "Las Polvoras" is on the map).

Maybe those who are there now will clear this mystery up. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Laurie,
Yes, the Bar/Rte Avenida in Villalazan is really good, and does an excellent sandwich (as opposed to a Bocadillo). Nice people too.

According to my photo records the two arrows taking you off the road were 45 minutes (3-4 km) after Villalazan, and were indeed just after a cement plant, or some such. I turned right (despite your warning) and followed the dirt road for about 15 minutes, searching for a turn to the left. I didn’t quite reach the cottonwoods before turning back and continuing on the highway. The two arrows are within metres of each other and the mystery remains as to where they take you.

I can’t shed light on the path of the GR-14 after Villaralbo as I took the Amigos route. Trevhock walked this route so hopefully he can advise

This is what I found on the GR 14 to Zamora:
De Villaralbo a Zamora
7 Km. / 1 h. 20 min.
Villaralbo, por su cercanía a Zamora, ha incrementado notablemente su población durante los últimos años. Sus calles y edificios reflejan esta nueva disposición más moderna, muy distinta a la del típico pueblo de la comarca de la Tierra del Vino. El camino cruza la localidad de este a oeste y al abandonar el pueblo gira a la izquierda y continúa paralelo al canal de San José, testigo de la intensa actividad agrícola de estas fértiles llanuras aluviales, discurre en dirección oeste y continúa hasta toparse con una zona salpicada por pequeñas industrias, casas y granjas.

El camino pasa bajo la carretera A-66, la Ruta de la Plata, otro gran itinerario histórico peninsular; gira a la derecha y posteriormente a la izquierda para pasar bajo la carretera A-11 que circunvala Zamora. Desde este momento el paisaje es netamente urbano.

Próximo al final de la etapa, el Camino Natural se adentra en la zona sur de Zamora por los caminos del alfoz, en la margen izquierda del Duero. El sendero avanza paralelo al río y pasa por debajo de unas abandonadas vías de ferrocarril, dejando a mano derecha el Puente de Hierro. En esta zona el río tiene pequeñas represas o azudes que amansan la corriente y que antiguamente permitían guiar el agua hasta las “Aceñas” que hay a ambos lados del cauce, las de Olivares al pie del castillo o las de Cabañales y Pinilla junto a los Puentes de Piedra y de Hierro.

La etapa finaliza en un área recreativa próxima al Puente de Piedra. Desde este punto, el viajero puede contemplar una de las vistas más bellas de la ciudad, ya que parte del casco antiguo, declarado Conjunto Histórico Artístico, queda a su frente en la otra margen. Merecen una visita el castillo, la catedral, las murallas, a las que Zamora debe el sobrenombre de “la bien cercada”, y la multitud de iglesias que jalonan la ciudad.

From this I judge that the road furthest from the river on the Amigos map is probably the route. Looks much the better option.
Donovan

From this I judge that the road furthest from the river on the Amigos map is probably the route. Looks much the better option.
Donovan

Yes, I think that you are right, Donovan. All I want to add is that if by some chance anyone gets lost to the east of Villalbo like we did, if you get to that spot on the river where the road from Villalbo touches the river you should just stay straight (that is, taking the "middle" road of the three shown on the amigos map), and you will be fine into Zamora.

I hope someone from the forum can solve the mystery of where those arrows right after the cement factory go, because having a nice off-road alternative would be a big improvement. In any case, though, I think that from Villalbo into Zamora there will be nothing off road, but there surely are better options that the road route shows in the Amigos guide, which is otherwise terrific!

Buen camino, Laurie

I hope someone from the forum can solve the mystery of where those arrows right after the cement factory go, because having a nice off-road alternative would be a big improvement. In any case, though, I think that from Villalbo into Zamora there will be nothing off road, but there surely are better options that the road route shows in the Amigos guide, which is otherwise terrific!

My (educated) guess is that the arrows should direct you towards the Duero river, make you turn left close to the river, make you turn left once again when you meet the Canal de San José (an irrigation channel) and make you follow the Canal de San José until (the outskirts of) Villaralbo.

From Villaralbo to Zamora there's a partly off road option. That option is to follow the Senda del Duero (GR-14). Maps can be found on this web (click on Mapa de detalle 31 and Mapa de detalle 32 on the right menu):
http://www.magrama.gob.es/es/desarr...tor-noroeste/duero/etapa18/duero_etapa18.aspx
http://www.magrama.gob.es/es/desarr...tor-noroeste/duero/etapa18/duero_etapa18.aspx

For GPS tracks of that partly off road option, you can use this other web where you can find tracks for all the Senda del Duero:

http://www.magrama.gob.es/es/desarr...-naturales/sector-noroeste/duero/default.aspx

By the way, there's an option to avoid the road route between Villalazán and the cement plant. That option would be to go from Villalazán to Madridanos (mostly off-road) to join the GR-14 close to Madridanos (South of where it says Las Coronas on the Mapa de detalle 31 available on the first link I provided), following the GR-14 till Zamora.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My (educated) guess is that the arrows should direct you towards the Duero river, make you turn left close to the river, make you turn left once again when you meet the Canal de San José (an irrigation channel) and make you follow the Canal de San José until (the outskirts of) Villaralbo.

From Villaralbo to Zamora there's a partly off road option. That option is to follow the Senda del Duero (GR-14). Maps can be found on this web (click on Mapa de detalle 31 and Mapa de detalle 32 on the right menu):

For GPS tracks of that partly off road option, you can use this other web where you can find tracks for all the Senda del Duero:

http://www.magrama.gob.es/es/desarr...-naturales/sector-noroeste/duero/default.aspx

By the way, there's an option to avoid the road route between Villalazán and the cement plant. That option would be to go from Villalazán to Madridanos (mostly off-road) to join the GR-14 close to Madridanos (South of where it says Las Coronas on the Mapa de detalle 31 available on the first link I provided), following the GR-14 till Zamora.

Oh, my goodness, Castilian, I hope you don't think I'm stalking you, but your first four posts on the forum have answered so many of my questions on these various routes -- Levante, Ebro, Castellano-aragones, Catala/St. Jaume, Lana, etc etc.... Where do you get all this knowledge?

As far as the cottonwoods forest where we got lost after the cement plant, it seems that there is some crucial point where marking would be helpful. We were walking along the canal for a while, I remember that, but at some point, we just found ourselves in the middle of the trees. We wound up at the river finally, at a point whre there was a lot of fishing going on, and from there it was a pretty easy straight shot into Zamora, but those cottonwoods were dicey!

I can't open those links right now, but I will look at them when I'm at a better computer. So many thanks to you! Buen camino, Laurie

Castilian, good post, correct on all counts I think.

Certainly the GR-14 route from Villaralbo to Zamora would be preferable to the road route which is awful. I saw several GR-14 markers in the town so it's easy enough to pick up.

The offroad detour through Madridanos would probably be an improvement over the road (ZA-P-1102), though the road from Villalazan to Villaralbo had comparatively little traffic - the really bad section started at Villaralbo. My photo record tells me it took 2 hours including a 20-30 minute detour towards the Duero and back again. I walked about half way to the river looking for a left turn and now regret not going all the way. Your suggestion that the path links up with the San Jose canal makes sense.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back