• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent experiences with major problems/delays at airports?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
Hello,
I am in the US and am reading of many cancellations or major delays at many airports across Europe. For people who have traveled in the past couple weeks, I'm am wondering what your experiences have been.
I will be leaving soon and am worried about making a connecting flights in Amsterdam, both ways. I'm leaving tomorrow, so making changes now may not be possible. But I'd like to know what I'm in for. My first flight has a 3 hour layover, and the second is only 1hr, 45 min transfer time.)

Safe travels, everyone.
Lynne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It may go well or not. My husband had a bad experience last fall with cancelled and then missed flights, but he eventually made it to Spain and home again. We are traveling to Madrid again in about 2 weeks so while I hope it will go smoothly, I am prepared for alternatives.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello,
I am in the US and am reading of many cancellations or major delays at many airports across Europe. For people who have traveled in the past couple weeks, I'm am wondering what your experiences have been.
I will be leaving soon and am worried about making a connecting flights in Amsterdam, both ways. I'm leaving tomorrow, so making changes now may not be possible. But I'd like to know what I'm in for. My first flight has a 3 hour layover, and the second is only 1hr, 45 min transfer time.)

Safe travels, everyone.
Lynne

Prepare for a smooth transfer:Transfers at Schiphol​

Your arrival at Schiphol​

Enter your flight details to get personal advice for the time you’ll spend at Schiphol.​

Arriving flight

Your departure from Schiphol​

Enter your flight details to find out how much time you have for your transfer, your gate number and much more.​

Departing flight

Hello,

Safe travels, everyone.
Lynne
You probably know that KLM canceled boarding for their incoming flights to Amsterdam last Saturday I believe, because of backup at the airport . My sister and her husband were there. KLM sent out a notification saying they were hoping to solve the problem by Sunday, which would have been a very quick turnaround. You may be all good to go now. I hope you have safe and uneventful travel to your Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

Safe travels, everyone.
Lynne
If your flight is arriving late and making your connection is tight make sure you let the flight attendants know. On two occasions my connecting flights to San Sebastian and Pamplona was with Vueling once and Iberia Express once (both Iberia partners. I flew on Iberia). Both times the attendant at the gate gave me a large pass and when I got to customs I was ushered to the front of the line. When I had to go through security I was again ushered to the front. If you fly on Iberia the walk from Terminal 4 to to 4S is like a stage on the camino and even with over an hour I still just made both flights. That was Madrid and it was pre-covid and it was also in October. But the airport was packed nonetheless. Maybe the same will be true arriving in Amsterdam. Good luck and buen camino

Good luck with your transfer at Schiphol! As of last Friday no one is allowed in the departure area unless their flight leaves within 4 hours. Due to the long lines and delays people were coming hours and hours ahead of time.

Hopefully those in transit and transferring such as yourself have better luck.
Agree
Good luck with your transfer at Schiphol! As of last Friday no one is allowed in the departure area unless their flight leaves within 4 hours. Due to the long lines and delays people were coming hours and hours ahead of time.

Hopefully those in transit and transferring such as yourself have better luck.
My husband flew out of Schiphol several weeks ago and it was a mess - took him over 3 hours to get checked in and to the gate. But he was originating there, not transferring, so not sure what you’ll experience. Good luck!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back