• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent fires in Galicia & Sanabres / Invierno routes

Anne Louise

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (several ), Ingles (2017), Finisterre (several), parts of Norte (2011-2014), Sanabrés (2018)
Anyone know if the September / October fires in Galicia affected the Camino de Invierno and the Camino Sanabres? Have looked in Spanish press to find fire locations with no luck, just know that Ourense province was badly affected

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Anne Louise and welcome to the Forum! Check out this thread for some maps and news (from a couple weeks ago). https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/fires-impacting-on-camino.51286/

Are you walking soon?
Thanks for news. Not sure if walking or not, plan was the Sanabres from Ourense late in November but route goes through a major burned area may put it off until spring. From not very detailed map on Faro de Vigo site looks like first two days after Ourense go through fire area.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anyone know if the September / October fires in Galicia affected the Camino de Invierno and the Camino Sanabres? Have looked in Spanish press to find fire locations with no luck, just know that Ourense province was badly affected
I'm right now doing Camino de Invierno, today I'm at Rodeiro 3 Etapas before Santiago , I haven't see any area that was affected by fire ( only some little parts ).
Let me tell you that Camino the Invierno is something completely different than Camino Frances , very few facilities , few shops, no albergues, ( only pensions an Hostals, )be prepare for journeys of 30 and 35 kilometers without seen anyone, I have not met any pilgrims so far after 1 week on Camino the Invierno, I travel alone and your mind and your good shape is a must.
Think about it before start because most people give up after 2 o 3 journeys!

I'm right now doing Camino de Invierno, today I'm at Rodeiro 3 Etapas before Santiago , I haven't see any area that was affected by fire ( only some little parts ).
Let me tell you that Camino the Invierno is something completely different than Camino Frances , very few facilities , few shops, no albergues, ( only pensions an Hostals, )be prepare for journeys of 30 and 35 kilometers without seen anyone, I have not met any pilgrims so far after 1 week on Camino the Invierno, I travel alone and your mind and your good shape is a must.
Thank for info about the fires, Pruden, good to hear it was not badly affected. Also for news about differences with Camino Frances, a friend did the Camino Invierno and said it was lovely, I've cycled in the area and would like to walk it, as an experienced hiker not too worried about physical or mental challenges though good to know need to think ahead for supplies and sleeping. Still thinking about dates, may wait until early spring.

Pruden, you hit the nail on the head. And your experience is one of the reasons why the Camino de Invierno has not "caught on". This year-to-date, short of 500 people walking this route were recorded in the Santiago Pilgrims' Office. (for comparison, just under 78'000 walked from Sarria :()
On the other hand, the Invierno alternative to the Frances is young in its being organized for more attractive facilities to pilgrims. The scope is huge.;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For another view, perhaps, on the aftermath of fire (the great changer).

The Beloved and I walked the Primitivo this spring. Five weeks after the fires that took out most of the forest between Buspol and the Embalse de Salime. Having walked it twice previously I was upset to see the destruction. I had described to the Beloved in advance a day of walking through forest and boar and deer and exotic birdlife and she found it to be a disheartening stretch of an otherwise beautiful route. But we saw two deer; an Oriole and everywhere green shoots. Many plants long shrouded out by the density of pine forest were seizing there opportunity to flourish in the sun. There were spectacular views of the embalse that I had never seen before. As we descended into the Chestnut forest just before the dam I was relieved to discover it had escaped much of the burn though there was obvious scorch on some of the taller trees. There was ash in the wind-hollows and still that smell of wet charcoal. But so much life bursting out of chaos.

A reminder for me that change is inevitable; a reminder to the Beloved that she walks her own camino - not my previous ones: and a reminder to both of us that camino is the journey not the scenery.

Thanks for news. Not sure if walking or not, plan was the Sanabres from Ourense late in November but route goes through a major burned area may put it off until spring. From not very detailed map on Faro de Vigo site looks like first two days after Ourense go through fire area.
I finished Sanabres a week and a half ago. You can see burnt areas but not much. I walked through about 100 meters of burnt area.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back