• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RECENT Recommendations on Albergues?

templarsoul

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Fisterra) (June/July 2015)
Leaving in one week! Our family of four is very excited. One question I have is on albergues and those that people would recommend (...or not!) I know this is an old chestnut, but things change and I'm hoping for feedback from forum members who have done the Camino Frances in the past year. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If notes for pilgrim albergues from Oct/Dec 2014 would be helpful just "say" the word!

MM

Are you interested in private rooms or just municipal albergues?
A family of four could often stay in private rooms for little more than they pay in a dorm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Leaving in one week! Our family of four is very excited. One question I have is on albergues and those that people would recommend (...or not!) I know this is an old chestnut, but things change and I'm hoping for feedback from forum members who have done the Camino Frances in the past year. Thanks!
Hi, I will recommend the following,
In Los Arcos, albergue La Casa de Austria.
In Belorado, albergue Los Cuatro Cantones.
In Atapuerca, Centro Turistico " El Peregrino " .
In Carrion de los Condes, albergue Espiritu Santo.
In Terradillos de Templarios, albergue Jacques de Molay.
In Astorga, albergue San Javier.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

If notes for pilgrim albergues from Oct/Dec 2014 would be helpful just "say" the word!
Margaret:
I shall be walking from September 30 to November 30 and would love any comments that you might have about albergues on the camino frances that you experienced recently and are likely to be open, particularly later in November.

Walked from Sain
Walked from Saint Jean to Estella last week and always stayed in the municipal albergue in the towns we stopped in Roncevalles, Zubiri, Pamplona, Puenta De Reina and Estella. Was very happy with all of them. They are usually close by the church or run by the church I think! The municipal albergue in Zubiri had communal shower facilities perhaps this may be an issue for your kids if they are teens, ladies showered together, men showered together just in case you thought we all showered together ha ha, some kids wouldn't care but I think if I had to go back in time I might not have been comfortable with it. Anyhow that's my two cents worth. Wishing ye a super camino,
Rita

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ones that stand out, without me going to my notes:
The big one (only one?) in Roncesvallas
Paderborn in Pamplona
Jacques de Molay in Terradillos de los Templarios
Paloma y Leña just before Sarria

The first three I listed were very good. Paloma y Leña was great. I walked this year (2015) March-May. Hope that helps.

Margaret:
I shall be walking from September 30 to November 30 and would love any comments that you might have about albergues on the camino frances that you experienced recently and are likely to be open, particularly later in November.
Albertagirl,
Here is a handy list from Ivar to download from the camino resorces section of Albergues Open in Winter.

If you would like my 2014 annotated list please send a Conversation with your email aďdress and I shall forward it to you.

Happy planning!

MM

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you interested in private rooms or just municipal albergues?
A family of four could often stay in private rooms for little more than they pay in a dorm.

Being humble educators, we're trying to watch the purse strings, but we're open to either. Although, trying to prepare our own meals in municipal albergue kitches sounds like it will save money.

As to staying in private rooms for about the same, I'd wondered about that! We have an 18 and 22 year old. Do you know how flexible private rooms are on numbers of people. Can you pay a little extra for cots or mats, or do they want you to book another room?

Thanks!

I can think of a few albergues that were nice and I can recommend. I base that on cleanliness, price, staff and overall uniqueness and cool atmosphere. A lot of them are private albergues and cost a few euros more.

Puenta la Reina....Santiago Apostol albergue
Uterga......Albergue Camino del Perdon
Los Arcos......Casa de la Abuela albergue
Castrojeriz....Albergue San Esteban
Burgos....Amigos del Camino del Santiago
Hornillos del Camino.....Albergue El Afar
Teradillos de Templarios......Albergue Los Templarios
Hospital de Orbigo....Albergue San Miguel
Ponferada.....Albergue Alea
Portomarin....Albergue Folgueira
Arzua...Albergue Don Quijote
Santiago....El Ultimo Sello albergue

Like I said, cleanliness played a big role on where I stayed. Never got bitten by a bedbug and never even saw one and that's two Caminos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The priveatr in Santa Irene, a little doll's house, plus it keeps you in a much nicer environment than Arzua. Ah, and Ribadiso!

I was never this organized, I am sure it will help with finding the fancier places. When I did try to pre plan I would arrive & the place would be closed. Albergues seem to operate as they have hosts available.
Keith

If you are looking for a great family albuergue (since you have a family of four) run by a family that is really cool with having kids.....and a great experience....try staying in Laguna de Castilla

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back