• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

recent robbery on last phase of the camino?

melissa nix

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Camino Frances/Camino de Santiago on January 18, 2015
Friends,

I am 11 days into the camino. While pooped, iam so grateful 4 this tremendous opportunity. I am walking solo, tho w but 1 aubergue open in just some towns along the way, there r a number of us who keep an eye on one another. There r currently 5 Korean youths in my group, who said that Korean news reported a robbery at gunpoint for a solo traveler (woman) who was but 13 miles from the completion of her camino in Santiago de Compostla by a man wearing a raincoat, sunglasses n mask. I have searched the news but found nothing. Have u heard anything? Any advice? Many thanks n xo, melissa

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I heard nothing about this and I keep my ear close to the Camino ground even when not being in Spain. I think @code_monkey_001 might be on to a possible explanation! Remember the game of silent post? How stories changes whilst being passed on? In Spain it is called Radio Camino and it is not always accurate. Buen Camino! SY

Thank u! Very helpful! I appreciate yr time n input. m
[QUOTEhetes, post: 266770, member: 21152"]I heard nothing about this and I keep my ear close to the Camino ground even when not being in Spain. I think @code_monkey_001 might be on to a possible explanation! Remember the game of silent post? How stories changes whilst being passed on? In Spain it is called Radio Camino and it is not always accurate. Buen Camino! SY[/QUOTE]
! Very hwlpf

[QUOTEhetes, post: 266770, member: 21152"]I heard nothing about this and I keep my ear close to the Camino ground even when not being in Spain. I think @code_monkey_001 might be on to a possible explanation! Remember the game of silent post? How stories changes whilst being passed on? In Spain it is called Radio Camino and it is not always accurate. Buen Camino! SY

Last year there was a rumor that a woman was consumed by vultures after falling off a cliff and dying while walking the Camino. It sounded a bit far fetched and I wondered if it was just another story on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year there was a rumor that a woman was consumed by vultures after falling off a cliff and dying while walking the Camino. It sounded a bit far fetched and I wondered if it was just another story on the Camino.

No, that one was sadly true, most likely she first died and then was eaten by the vultures but forensics, as far as I followed the story, never could prove it either way. SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is it possible that they mistook it for the camionero (truck driver) that was robbed at gunpoint two days ago? There was also a robbery/sexual assault in Santiago de Compostela the 24th, but that was two women walking together and no gun was involved.

This is terrible news either way, and so horribly traumatic for each of those involved. Particularly taken aback about the assaults in Santiago as it seemed very safe when I was there last year.

Friends,

I am 11 days into the camino. While pooped, iam so grateful 4 this tremendous opportunity. I am walking solo, tho w but 1 aubergue open in just some towns along the way, there r a number of us who keep an eye on one another. There r currently 5 Korean youths in my group, who said that Korean news reported a robbery at gunpoint for a solo traveler (woman) who was but 13 miles from the completion of her camino in Santiago de Compostla by a man wearing a raincoat, sunglasses n mask. I have searched the news but found nothing. Have u heard anything? Any advice? Many thanks n xo, melissa

Thank you for this alert Melissa.
Be safe and Buen Camino.

Well, I was "assaulted" in Santiago one year by a guy who tried to snatch my purse and chased me to my pension. I mean, it's a city and crap happens in cities. I was foolishly out in the wee hours alone and the guy may have been drunk. It rattled me, but I went back. It could happen anywhere.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

The 2013 story about the woman who fell off a trail in the eastern part of the French Pyrenees and was consumed by Griffon Vultures was true. It was reported in multiple media outlets at the time. Here is one such media account:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vultures-plunging-1-000ft-death-Pyrenees.html

There are many other articles. If you Google "Pyrenees Griffon Vulture woman" you will get the various stories that appeared at the time.

I hope this clarifies matters in this regard.

Well, I was "assaulted" in Santiago one year by a guy who tried to snatch my purse and chased me to my pension. I mean, it's a city and crap happens in cities. I was foolishly out in the wee hours alone and the guy may have been drunk. It rattled me, but I went back. It could happen anywhere.

Sorry to hear that Annie. Glad you were ok and that you were able to back.

[QUOTEhetes, post: 266770, member: 21152"]I heard nothing about this and I keep my ear close to the Camino ground even when not being in Spain. I think @code_monkey_001 might be on to a possible explanation! Remember the game of silent post? How stories changes whilst being passed on? In Spain it is called Radio Camino and it is not always accurate. Buen Camino! SY
! Very hwlpf[/QUOTE]
You have problems with the keyboard of your computer or is this the cyber way of communication ?. Maybe I'm too old for this :oops:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
! Very hwlpf
Well, I'm also too old, @Albertinho, but I read somewhere that this type of keyboarding is a result of the Twitter age. I believe, in Twitter, posters are limited to a certain number of characters per post. So, in order to get maximum usage per post, posters 'compress' words, resulting in many and various abbreviated words. :)

Last edited:
You have problems with the keyboard of your computer or is this the cyber way of communication ?. Maybe I'm too old for this :oops:
Well, I'm also too old, @Albertinho, but I read somewhere that this type of keyboarding is a result of the Twitter age. I believe, in Twitter, posters are limited to a certain number of characters per post. So, in order to get maximum usage per post, posters 'compress' words, resulting in many and various abbreviated words. :)[/QUOTE]
@Icacos. I am glad I do not twitter or any other modern fashioned kind of communication and have an unlimited number of characters available on my keyboard and in my posts The forum has been created to share experiences and supply information and in my opinion that has to be done in clear and understandable language and not in twitter ,twatter or twotter or whatever. Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
:p Here in the Netherlands is a group of people who write a story in 55 words.
A good friend of mine was the initiator of it . the story must have at least one person ,a logical storyline and a clue. So Henry James should have had another hard time :)

"For sale: Baby shoes, never worn" attributed to Ernest Hemingway, of Pamplona Fiesta, fame comes to mind. I have managed 300 words or less for flash fiction, but 55 words, now there is a challenge. New thread anyone? Your camino story in 55 words or less? SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am glad I do not twitter or any other modern fashioned kind of communication and have an unlimited number of characters available on my keyboard and in my posts The forum has been created to share experiences and supply information and in my opinion that has to be done in clear and understandable language and not in twitter ,twatter or twotter or whatever. Buen camino.
Oh, @Albertinho, I hope you don't think I am condoning this use of compressed English, because I am not, by any means.

This all makes me think of my dear mother-in-law, long deceased. She used to explain away the 'progression' of the English language by saying that "it is a living language." I wonder if she would still feel the same way........She was also quite confident that she was going to squeak through life without ever having to embrace computers.

Oh, @Albertinho, I hope you don't think I am condoning this use of compressed English, because I am not, by any means.

This all makes me think of my dear mother-in-law, long deceased. She used to explain away the 'progression' of the English language by saying that "it is a living language." I wonder if she would still feel the same way........She was also quite confident that she was going to squeak through life without ever having to embrace computers.
Oh no, of course not..:) It was meant more in general. I have nothing against modern things,computers ,gadges.I do not live in the stone age but I am against turbo language, street language , twitter language etc on a forum . If you like to twitter ,don't do it here. it is the first time I have seen using this kind of writing here and must admit I was very shocked. As @SYates wrote. It must be understandable for all readers

I was told when very young never to use the word "" you"" as they were in the field

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm the Korean woman who was robbed at gunpoint. It was my last day to Santiago. (25. Jan. 2015)
I'm going to post my experience here with the police report within a few days...
Please be careful when you walk.. Buen Camino

I'm the Korean woman who was robbed at gunpoint. It was my last day to Santiago. (25. Jan. 2015)
I'm going to post my experience here with the police report within a few days...

So very sorry that this happened to you.
A terribly frightening experience. How are you doing?
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Karen.

Hi J.Bann. Hope you are okay. Would like to hear more about the circumstances surrounding this terrible ordeal for you. Please be kind and share your story so that we future walkers can be more aware of the dangers involved.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Truly sorry that this happened to you.
I hope you had a friend/other pilgrim with you so that you did not feel alone in the aftermath of this traumatic experience. It can be a deeply jarring event in ones life, wherever it might occur. - Wishing you the very best of strength and spirit!

I am sorry to hear this, but I am glad you took the time to make a police report. Even if they are unable to identify and apprehend the culprits immediately, you will have helped the police establish there is an issue that warrants their attention.

Hi J. Bann.
I regret what happened. I hope you're already recovered from the traumatic experience you have lived.
I am Spanish and I apologize on behalf of all of us.
I hope you forget as soon as possible this unfortunate event and remember only the good times we've lived on the Camino.
Hugs

If you have been a victim of crime then consider getting some professional help as well as the support of family and friends. I met a Korean tourist yesterday in London. We got talking about the Camino and the story above. All of a sudden she became emotional, sharing with me that she had been mugged in Beijing just last week. No violence or direct threat of violence and she managed to escape the taxi ...... but she was traumatized, struggling to sleep, nightmares and fearful to go outside after dark. I was taken aback by the impact of the mugging on this lady and made me realize how little I knew about what it is like to be a victim of crime ......

Last edited:
First of all it shows up like your message above is a quotation of what @melissa nix said, but looking at this thread it is not. Most likely a user error on your part when quoting and then answering inside said quotes
A wonderful little function I discovered here is the ability to 'preview' one's post prior to actually posting it. For those who aren't aware of it, click on 'edit,' then 'more options' and then 'preview.' You can then see how your post will appear, yet still have the option to edit and re-edit until you get it exactly how you want it. It's a bit frustrating at first but, eventually, you can get the hang of it. When you've got your post the way you want it, click 'Reply to Thread.'

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"There were many reported robberies on the Camino Francaise in 2014" can you give us some sort of source for this information and do you actually mean robbery or do you mean theft/burglary - the two are not the same.

I read on this forum last year about 2 Korean girls whose money was stolen whilst they were in the shower. This was in an albergue somewhere before Sto Domingo. They each lost 1000 Euros. It was later stated (after a robbery at O'Cebriero) that another Korean lost about 1000 Euros. The writer suggested that Koreans typically didn't trust ATMs and this is why they carried such huge amounts on the Camino. Sorry I don't have the reference.

Ok I'm getting genuinely worried now. Leaving in under 2 weeks and walking alone. Didn't realize there had been this many robberies etc, especially one as recent as last month. Now this frightening robbery at gunpoint. Feeling really uncertain.
Hi Karen, have no worries, just use caution with your belongings as you probably did last time and you will be fine. Enjoy your Camino.
Buen Camino.

Ok I'm getting genuinely worried now. Leaving in under 2 weeks and walking alone. Didn't realize there had been this many robberies etc, especially one as recent as last month. Now this frightening robbery at gunpoint. Feeling really uncertain.

I wouldn't be too worried, see things in perspective: 230,000+ pilgrims arrived in Santiago last year and how many bad things did actually happen to them? The crime rate on the Camino is much, much lower than that of a lot of places where we live.

Also, J.Bann hasn't come back to us about what has actually happened.

Just use common sense, take all your valuables always with you, even to the shower/toilet and use the least common of all senses - common sense.

Buen Camino! SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
**I am treating J Bann's episode with regret and sorrow,

But Karen did you look in your local papers to see what happened in your village/town /city last night or week.
How many robberies , muggins, hope to God no murders , white collar crime within the banks themselves [ quiet ] .........etc, etc

**How did you find the Camino in 2014 ??
Safe was it???, It seems so as you walked and never complained .
I assume [ i hate any word that has ASS ] you walked to Leon and will now complete....any problems in the first 400km ?????
So whats your problem ??
If you are genuinely worried Karen stay at home but for Gods sake give this kid [ 18years old] who asked for advice and information a break.
Her age group going out on a saturday night to a disco/bars would see a lot more.....[as well as spiked drinks] ..and the results from that....than we would see in a month.
Go and walk , when you see some one and there will be plenty around keep close ..........................if you feel worried.
Stop in an albergue, go to a bar/cafe within the village, talk to the locals and bloody enjoy life.
If you are going to worry and look around for that boogy man don't go.
And for Gods sake leave the Camino alone with this crap about violence....we live in a dream world whilst walking.
If you are not sure about this have a look at the world news for the last few days.

To think my wife and i walked from Le Puy to Muxia in the company of a ***78 year grandmother from Geneva [ yes she started from there].............
As SY has previously said...........250,ooo walk , 40% women [100,000] , 50% over 50 years [ 50,000] and you worry about lets say 50 incidents........OMG......
50,000 @ 10%= 5000
50,000 @ 1%= 500
*******So please Karen in life never entertain the ** .001 % of anything...its just not worth it.

BRAVO, Thornley, well put

I think the only thing most of us have been frightened by on our Caminos is snorers! :) It really is a very safe environment compared to everyday life in most towns. It is not the wilderness either. Robbery is so infrequent as to be hardly a concern and the possibility of both it and theft disappear if you just take very easy everyday care. Keep valuables with you at all times, don't walk at strange times and seek companions if ever concerned. Actually seek companions? You won't need to most of the time as it is more a question of avoiding them if you want a bit of solitude! Don't worry, go for it and enjoy. Buen Camino

This is an example of what can happen with one "bad review" - people go nuts and don't think things through.
Honestly!
The question, "Have you looked at what crimes were committed in your OWN community last night?" is the best one I've seen!
The Camino, compared to pretty much any other place in the world, is safe.
Just go and expect to have a great experience.

With all due respect, your speculations re Koreans borders on blaming-the-victim here and is quite outrageous.
I don't agree. Rather it illustrates that it is important to recognize the risks and manage them. Those were crimes of opportunity, with no violence. It makes sense for us to reduce the opportunities and I would recommend it to anyone. That should not be construed as blaming the victim.

But Karen did you look in your local papers to see what happened in your village/town /city last night or week.
How many robberies , muggings, hope to God no murders , white collar crime within the banks themselves [ quiet ] .........etc, etc

I assume [ I hate any word that has ASS ] you walked to Leon and will now complete....any problems in the first 400 km ?????
So what's your problem ??
If you are genuinely worried Karen stay at home but for Gods sake give this kid [ 18 years old] who asked for advice and information a break.
Her age group going out on a Saturday night to a disco/bars would see a lot more.....[as well as spiked drinks] ..and the results from that....than we would see in a month.
Go and walk , when you see some one and there will be plenty around keep close ..........................if you feel worried.
Stop in an albergue, go to a bar/cafe within the village, talk to the locals and enjoy life.
And for Gods sake leave the Camino alone with this stuff about violence....we live in a dream world whilst walking.
If you are not sure about this have a look at the world news for the last few days.

To think my wife and i walked from Le Puy to Muxia in the company of a ***78 year grandmother from Geneva [ yes she started from there].............
As SY has previously said...........250,000 walk , 40% women [100,000] , 50% over 50 years [ 50,000] and you worry about lets say 50 incidents........OMG......
50,000 @ 10%= 5000
50,000 @ 1%= 500
*******So please Karen in life never entertain the ** .001 % of anything...its just not worth it.

Firstly. If I can't express my fears about a camino on a camino forum without being barrated, then where? I can't see anything that I said that would have prompted such a stern reply.
Secondly, I never once mentioned the girl who was asking for advice. I sent her an encouraging message in fact. I was responding to the post which listed the crimes that had occurred last year. Nothing more.

How many robberies , muggings, hope to God no murders , white collar crime within the banks themselves [ quiet ] .........etc, etc

I assume [ I hate any word that has ASS ] you walked to Leon and will now complete....any problems in the first 400 km ?????
So what's your problem ??
If you are genuinely worried Karen stay at home but for Gods sake give this kid [ 18 years old] who asked for advice and information a break.
Her age group going out on a Saturday night to a disco/bars would see a lot more.....[as well as spiked drinks] ..and the results from that....than we would see in a month.
Stop in an albergue, go to a bar/cafe within the village, talk to the locals and enjoy life.
And for Gods sake leave the Camino alone with this stuff about violence....we live in a dream world whilst walking.

As SY has previously said...........250,000 walk , 40% women [100,000] , 50% over 50 years [ 50,000] and you worry about lets say 50 incidents........OMG......
50,000 @ 10%= 5000
50,000 @ 1%= 500

Thornley, I think Karen was referring to a post by CISSA69 on this thread, which appears now to have been deleted - it spoke of various crimes which had apparently occurred on the Camino and included a long list of tips for deterring theft, among other things. It is unfortunate that post has now been deleted, as it puts responses to that post (of which there have been a few, above) out of context. Karen's response to that somewhat alarming post seems natural and I don't think deserved such a strongly-worded response, given that she was not the source of that post.

Also - your references to the 18-year-old woman asking for advice on safety - I think you may be mixing up this thread with another recent one, where an 18-year-old did ask about safety for young women pilgrims. The OP on this thread was specifically asking about an incident she had heard about from some Koreans fellow pilgrims who had heard about a gunpoint robbery on the Camino via Korean news. It was that which J. Bann was responding to, when she posted that she was the person involved in that incident.

Sorry to be pedantic - I just thought a bit of clarification was needed at this point....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A number of posts were removed. Please refrain from personal attacks (or food throwing). If we missed any posts that should have also been removed let us know through the "report" feature.

Hopefully, we will hear from J. Bann with some details of the incident.
Lets try to keep this open until she returns to share with us.

A number of posts were removed. Please refrain from personal attacks (or food throwing). If we miss any that should have also been removed let us know through the "report" feature.

Hopefully, we will hear from J. Bann with some details of the incident.
Lets try to keep this open until she returns to share with us.

Absolutely no personal attack intended ( food fight). Was simply trying to lighten up the situation.

Thornley, I think Karen was referring to a post by CISSA69 on this thread, which appears now to have been deleted - it spoke of various crimes which had apparently occurred on the Camino and included a long list of tips for deterring theft, among other things. It is unfortunate that post has now been deleted, as it puts responses to that post (of which there have been a few, above) out of context. Karen's response to that somewhat alarming post seems natural and I don't think deserved such a strongly-worded response, given that she was not the source of that post.

Also - your references to the 18-year-old woman asking for advice on safety - I think you may be mixing up this thread with another recent one, where an 18-year-old did ask about safety for young women pilgrims. The OP on this thread was specifically asking about an incident she had heard about from some Koreans fellow pilgrims who had heard about a gunpoint robbery on the Camino via Korean news. It was that which J. Bann was responding to, when she posted that she was the person involved in that incident.

Sorry to be pedantic - I just thought a bit of clarification was needed at this point....

Nothing wrong with being pedantic Getting There , especially when you are correct.
My smiling kids have noted this date and time..."Can you believe that Mum" has been voiced.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with being pedantic Getting there , especially when you are correct.
My kids have noticed this date and time as they believe dad being wrong was an impossibility.

Am I the only one who has no clue what pedantic means!!!! lol.

Look up the work" Nit Picking" Karen.

It sometimes occurs with teachers who have a set idea and can't/won't vary ... trivial .....according to the dictionary.
You indicated a doubt and a worry about walking again this year
I replied and also unfortunately mentioned a request by a young english girl seeking advice on safety in another section of the forum.
I indicated to you the odds of a women being in an incident on the camino was .001% , one tenth of one percent.
He didn't doubt my figures of .001% just how i said it.
To anyone who has not been on the Camino it is impossible to explain.....thats why we repeat.......but there is no safer place on earth.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sillydoll gave a valuable suggestion to bring a suction type hook to use inside your shower stall. Very handy to put your needed toiletries, clothes and valuables inside your bag and hang them up in the shower with you. Worked well!

Sillydoll gave a valuable suggestion to bring a suction type hook to use inside your shower stall. Very handy to put your needed toiletries, clothes and valuables inside your bag and hang them up in the shower with you. Worked well!

Thank you so much This is a really good suggestion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Actually was just being silly and trying to draw attention away from the issue and trying to lighten things up. As is my way. I had been hurt by it (the post) and was trying to blow it off. ( my sensitive nature, nothing more). But we are all individual and unique with our own quirks and qualms that we bring to the table. Sometimes we make mistakes, (what? Never! Lol) but this is a good community and a wonderful forum with lots of great advice. So let's keep pulling together to help others and ourselves have a great camino being quick to forgive and happy to encourage. Like the family that we are.
Anyway. Leaving in 9 days!!
Love
Karen :)

Last edited:
Hi all.
Soon you will meet one or more Pilgrim and they give you confidence.
One always can keep watch valuables. In the showers, cooking, washing. etc.

The original topic was related to a robbery that took place before Santiago, but most of the postings after the first few ones have wandered right off the main topic, so I have now lost the plot completely. Can someone please tell me what happened and where it took place?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back