• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recent tours at Atapuerca...

ScorpioGirl22

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Leon - May, 2022
Leon - Santiago -May 2023
Hi. I am planning on staying in Atapuerca so I can take a tour of the dig site & the Visitor's Centre . However, I read some reviews of the tours that were less that flattering. One of the main complaints is that it is only in Spanish and, therefore, many felt it was a waste of time & money to go on them unless you are fluent in that language. What are your thoughts?

[Moderator note - Some posts have been moved from another thread]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I am planning on staying in Atapuerca so I can take a tour of the dig site & the Visitor's Centre . However, I read some reviews of the tours that were less that flattering. One of the main comp[laints is that it is only in Spanish ans, therefore, many felt it was a waste of time & money to go on them unless you are fluent in that language. What are your thoughts?
Depends how much you can fill in for yourself if you are trained in archeology or not…
Spouse is trained in archeology, has very little Spanish; he loved it… Over the tour, others who were with him had no idea what they were looking at, why it mattered… and did not like it.

You might prefer the museum of evolution in Burgos…. It is its own kind of cathedral to the miracles along the way…

I loved the museum and spent about 4 hours there on my rest day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also recommend the museum, at least as a precursor to any site visit at Atapuerca. Audio guides in English are available and the whole incredible context of what can be seen in the railway cutting and the great big shed will make the “unintelligible, intelligible”.

Some would argue that there is nothing to see. So imagine the traces we will have left nigh a million years from now. Some rust stains in the rock and a layer of hydrocarbon fragments?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would also recommend the museum, at least as a precursor to any site visit at Atapuerca. Audio guides in English are available and the whole incredible context of what can be seen in the railway cutting and the great big shed will make the “unintelligible, intelligible”.

Some would argue that there is nothing to see. So imagine the traces we will have left nigh a million years from now. Some rust stains in the rock and a layer of hydrocarbon fragments?
Thank you.....I am happy to hear about the audio guides being available in English at the museum. I wonder why they haven't made them available for the site tours also as understanding the descriptions of what one is looking at would vertainly enhance one's experience at the dig sites.

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has done the archealogical tours of the CAREX and the actual dig site in Atapuerca in 2020 or 2021. My friends & I are planning on stopping in Atapuerca when we walk the Camino in May 2022 so we could go on the tours. However, most of the information I am seeing on this forum is several years old and, as we all know, things could have changed considerably. So, please, if you've experienced Atapuerca within the last few years, I'd appreaciate hearing about your experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you.....I am happy to hear about the audio guides being available in English at the museum. I wonder why they haven't made them available for the site tours also as understanding the descriptions of what one is looking at would vertainly enhance one's experience at the dig sites.

I suspect that there is a bureaucratic/funding distinction between the site itself — which is, for intents and purposes, a living lab/academic site, not principally a tourism site… and the museum, which is geared to a more general audience, including interested tourists from other countries/language groups.

My guess is based on experience of when my own academic work is translated and when it is not. Put in short: it does not get translated when it’s ”internal” and research oriented; it gets translated only when the intended audience is very broad (or in a simultaneous translation for both official languages in Canada).

If anyone can verify the accuracy of my hunch….?

I just don’t think it comes down to not caring about those rare tourists who might be interested in the site, and that it has to do with the intended work and expected audiences in each location.

I would've surprised if they had given tours in 2020 or 2021.
Perhaps you are correct.....I will wait & see if I get a response from someonemwho visited there in one of those years. If not, maybe COVID cancelled them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for this comment! That's decided me, I will visit.
Spouse also loved the museum and took a rest day in Burgos just to make that visit.
One remarkable think about the architecture at the museum is that you can see that the visistor’s galleries and atrium are rings by working labs.
It may be one of my favourite working museums on the planet.
Evolutionary biology, primatology, some history of all vertebrate development, IIRC those formed the contextualizing galleries that lead to the destination galleries on the specific finds from Atapuerca.
There can be visiting exhibits from other digs around the world too…
If this is your *thing* then it’s a really nice Easter egg to have right in the middle of the walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am not a fluid Spanish speaker, or listener.
But I have taken several cave and cathedral tours given only in Spanish, and would not hesitate to do so again.
The paintings of Altamira and San Isidro are breath taking, in any language
Atapuerca might be too technical for us lay-people, but you might love it.
"Be curious, not judgmental."

The evolutionary museum in Burgos was one of the high points of Camino. Spent 5 hours there and would spend a whole day if I every go again
I have a degree in marine biology and another in pharmacy so lots of chemistry and science and have always been interested in evolution. If you
Go there first you might not every go to the dig.
Good luck

In October I just detoured the 1.8 km off the Camino Frances to the small, remote museum, called a "welcome center". No fee to enter, nice bathroom break on the Camino, friendly staff, great displays, a lot of information in English. Fascinating pre-history. Well worth any peregrino's time. Short walk directly into Atapuerca without having to backtrack to the Camino on the road. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi. I am planning on staying in Atapuerca so I can take a tour of the dig site & the Visitor's Centre . However, I read some reviews of the tours that were less that flattering. One of the main complaints is that it is only in Spanish and, therefore, many felt it was a waste of time & money to go on them unless you are fluent in that language. What are your thoughts?

I went on the tour in September. I found being there interesting even though I couldn’t understand a word. I am am 50/50 on whether I’d recommend it to non Spanish speakers.

I went on the tour in September. I found being there interesting even though I couldn’t understand a word. I am am 50/50 on whether I’d recommend it to non Spanish speakers.
Thank you. Even though I am really interested in history & archeology, the language barrier (i.e. not being able to understand the tour guide's descriptive explanations) is causing me to question how much I would get out of it.

Thank you. Even though I am really interested in history & archeology, the language barrier (i.e. not being able to understand the tour guide's descriptive explanations) is causing me to question how much I would get out of it.
There are some signs with info in English, and perhaps if you studied up on the site it would be more interesting.
I had no idea that it was even there before I went on the Camino, and just happened to hear about it from some other pilgrims.
It was definitely more interesting than hanging around Atapuerca for the afternoon. 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I visited Atapuerca in fall 2015 and although my Spanish is very VERY rudimentary, I was able to piece together a lot by looking at the informative signs which are presented in several languages. This helped me make a bit of sense of what the guide was showing. That said, I agree with others that the museum in Burgos is amazing and wonderful: perhaps the most beautiful and most interesting natural history history museums I've ever seen. Well worth part of my rest day.

I think I would like to plan a day there, just to see it. The museum in Burgos was certainly worth a day.

I think I would like to plan a day there, just to see it. The museum in Burgos was certainly worth a day.
You don't need a day to see the dig site. In fact, you aren't allowed to spend as much time as you want much time there.
There is a bus that takes you from the interpretive center in Atapuerca to the dig site, and you are not free to wander as you please. You must stay with the group, and return on the bus with them.
I just checked my timeline on Google Maps for the day that I was there, and from the time I left my albergue to go on the bus to the interpretive center to the time that I was back at the albergue was about 2.5 hours.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took an extra day off in Burgos on my second Camino to visit the Evolution Museum.
I completely agree with everyone here that it is one of the best museums I've ever visited in the world (military, seen a lot of museums). Can't say enough about how great it is, you have to experience it yourself. Highly recommend.

I did the tour a few years ago definitely only Spanish, however still very interesting and as a bonus the young girl doing the tour would occasionally tell me something in English.

€60,-

I will also vote for you to skip the dig site at Atapuerca unless you know or have intense interest about archeological methods. However, the museum at Burgos-- it's to the left of the river as you enter the city-- is worth a visit-- I spent an entire afternoon there. Beautiful displays over, I think, three levels. I was there about a year after it opened (2011) and admission was free then for pilgrim credential holders at that time, small charge for headsets in English. BTW, Burgos is a wonderful city to spend a "rest day." The cathedral is worth a tour. Stop at the TI and get an idea about other places in the city worth seeing. Many interesting nooks and crannies! Some placards on a few buildings indicate surprising historical venues. It's the burial site for El Cid and his wife-- one could go on and on! Many stores to get anything you might need also-- a dry spell awaits until at least Leon for anything besides food, water and very basic items.

How did you get to the dig site?
- Were you in Atapuerca & caught a bus out there?
- Or, did you book a tour from the Museum of Evolution in Burgos?

You don't need a day to see the dig site. In fact, you aren't allowed to spend as much time as you want much time there.
There is a bus that takes you from the interpretive center in Atapuerca to the dig site, and you are not free to wander as you please. You must stay with the group, and return on the bus with them.
I just checked my timeline on Google Maps for the day that I was there, and from the time I left my albergue to go on the bus to the interpretive center to the time that I was back at the albergue was about 2.5 hours.
Thank you for that information.
Can you tell me if the tour bus from Atapuerca out to the site operates daily? How many times per day?
I ask because I am having a difficult time getting clear responses from the Atapuerca contact omline site and I read on a post that the Atapuerca bus only operated on Tuesadys ---- the other days one had to take the tour bus from Burgos. I am trying to ascerrain whether or not that is in fact true.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a similar experience with the dig site. I actually devoted more time to this excellent experience at Atapuerca https://comerenatapuerca.com/
Thanks for eatery tip.........I really like their ad/logo:
"Thousands of years ago Homo sapiens arrived in Atapuerca.
He collected the fruits, learned to hunt, discovered the mysteries of fire ... and cooked.
It is time to enjoy eating."
Sounds like a place I will check out ......

Thank you for that information.
Can you tell me if the tour bus from Atapuerca out to the site operates daily? How many times per day?
I ask because I am having a difficult time getting clear responses from the Atapuerca contact omline site and I read on a post that the Atapuerca bus only operated on Tuesadys ---- the other days one had to take the tour bus from Burgos. I am trying to ascerrain whether or not that is in fact true.
I was there on Thursday, September 1st 2016. I took the bus at about 4:30 pm to the interpretive center. We waited a bit there before getting on another bus to the dig site. The Albergue where I stayed had the information. I'm afraid that you may be looking for this information too soon. I imagine that they may not even be sure if there will be tours next year.

I was there on Thursday, September 1st 2016. I took the bus at about 4:30 pm to the interpretive center. We waited a bit there before getting on another bus to the dig site. The Albergue where I stayed had the information. I'm afraid that you may be looking for this information too soon. I imagine that they may not even be sure if there will be tours next year.
You could be right about me being to early but I would like to have some first-hand info to use as a general guideline for my stay in Atapuerca. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to clarify --- did you catch the bus at the alburgue or was there a "depot" where everyone met to catch it? Where/how did you get passes (tickets) to the sites?

Just to clarify --- did you catch the bus at the alburgue or was there a "depot" where everyone met to catch it? Where/how did you get passes (tickets) to the sites?
Atapuerca is very small town - no bus station. I walked to the bus station, which I think was in front of a restaurant. The bus took us to the interpretative center where I paid for the tour of the archeological site.
I'm sure that you have already looked at the website.

Atapuerca is very small town - no bus station. I walked to the bus station, which I think was in front of a restaurant. The bus took us to the interpretative center where I paid for the tour of the archeological site.
I'm sure that you have already looked at the website.
Thank you for this information. I have looked at the website & I have exchanged several emails but am getting conflicting information which is why I asked you because you've been there. The last response I got when I queried how to get to the site was "I am sorry. There are no means of transportation."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can walk there. It's only one km from the Albergue el Peregrino. I think that I took the bus because I went with a couple of other pilgrims,and we didn't really know how far it was.
View attachment 114120
View attachment 114120
Wonderful news indeed!! We will be staying at the Hotel Rural Papasol which is in the vivinity
You can walk there. It's only one km from the Albergue el Peregrino. I think that I took the bus because I went with a couple of other pilgrims,and we didn't really know how far it was.
View attachment 114120
View attachment 114120
Thank you .... this is good news indeed. We are staying at the Hotel Rural Papasol which I believe is in the same vicinity as your lodgings were.

Thank you .... this is good news indeed. We are staying at the Hotel Rural Papasol which I believe is in the same vicinity as your lodgings were.
I stayed at the Albergue la Hutte, which is attached to Papasol. I jused Albergue el Peregrino as reference on the map, but it's about the same distance to the interpretative center from where you will be staying. As I said, Atapuerca is a very small town - current population less than 125.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How did you get to the dig site?
- Were you in Atapuerca & caught a bus out there?
- Or, did you book a tour from the Museum of Evolution in Burgos?
We went to the museum in Atapuerca. We booked the tour thinking it was the site, when it was a tour of the museum yard. We asked about the dig site and there were no more tix. She told us sometimes people don’t show up, so we waited and we were able to get on the bus out to the site.

I stayed at the Albergue la Hutte, which is attached to Papasol. I jused Albergue el Peregrino as reference on the map, but it's about the same distance to the interpretative center from where you will be staying. As I said, Atapuerca is a very small town - current population less than 125.
Close to Ages, that was a sweet town. I had my best experience/meal on the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back