• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recognition for service

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
Another thread (Vale David Barrett) prompted an idea which may not have been appropriate in that thread of condolences. I also have reservations about the idea, which I will explain.

There are so many deserving people working and supporting the various pilgrimage routes, that it would be nice if they could be better known and applauded in some more public way; be it in some kind of 'hall of fame', or by a medal or other award, or even having their name affixed to some part of a pilgrimage route or institution. Danilo, the ferryman of the Po, comes to my mind as one such person who is somewhat of an institution on the Via Francigena. I am sure other names will spring to the minds of readers of this thread.

Now for my ambivalence: The most deserving people (in my opinion) are probably those who do their work quietly without thought of awards or 'celebrity.' They might even be aghast at the thought and seek to avoid public recognition. Moreover, the very ethos of pilgrimage might find the idea somewhat repugnant.

I hope participants in Ivar's forum will continue to post notices and memorials in the 'In Memoriam' section about special people who have passed away.

Bob M

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The most deserving people (in my opinion) are probably those who do their work quietly without thought of awards or 'celebrity.' They might even be aghast at the thought and seek to avoid public recognition. Moreover, the very ethos of pilgrimage might find the idea somewhat repugnant.
Humility is definitely a virtue.
And so the most essential people offering camino support are often the quietest.

They may not want or need recognition, but we can all take inspiration from their generous service, and let our own service - whatever that is - be prompted by their example.

One thing that would not engender embarrasment would be to have a description of the service offered by unsung servants of the way who have died...we know of the famous people, but not many others...

Stories, anyone?

I received a new take (at least to me) about faith at the end of my recent walk to Jerusalem. One of my dinner companions at Ecce Homo was a young priest. He gave me a valuable insight into the practice of faith, as distinct from the theory of faith: the willingness to do things for other people without thought of thanks, and perhaps even in ways that they may never recognize. It is the willingness to render unconditional service that matters, without seeking any thanks or reward. “You don’t live for yourself; you live for other people.”.

Bob M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have so many stories it would take hours to tell them all, and there are SO many people who serve the Pilgrims and the Camino.

Some who come to mind include Rebekkah of Moratinos, Marina at San Anton, the pharmacist who cleaned and wrapped Joe's injury Trinidad de Arre, Livia and her husband at Piedra in Villafranca, Sara and Unai at Los Arcos, Noemi and her wonderful family that runs Albergue Ultreia in Portomarin, Jose in Viana and Jose in Zubiri, Juta (spelling?) at San Saturnino, Freida at Hospital de Orbigo, Cristina at Rabanal, and sooooo many others! I've seen each one of them go out of their way for pilgrims and for the Camino.

Here is a story that may or may not fit in here.
On our first Camino, we learned many many lessons, but here is one.
We stayed at Manjarin.
It was one of the best experiences of my Camino life.

As we were eating our pilgrim family style dinner, a young man showed up.
He was barefoot and carrying a VERY small pack.
He did not speak.
My first thought was "What a strange guy!"
That was my judgemental side showing itself.

Tomas the Templar quickly understood, however.
He gently invited the young man to sit at the table.
He brought him a plate and cup and silverware and served him.

Turns out the fellow was walking in silence and personal austerity.
Tomas, who has served pilgrims for so many years, recognized this - we did not until we were told.

There are just too many to mention.

Most pilgrims could probably recall many instances of exceptional service on the pilgrimage routes they have trod, and may have heard of other selfless people that they have not personally encountered.

It's the stories of 'repeat offenders' that really interest me; those people who have lived their values over a considerable period of time. They may not be in obvious positions to be noticed: they may be working behind the scenes at, for example, the reception centre at SJPDP, or in organisations such as the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome, or in local groups working to upgrade their sections of a pilgrimage route and its facilities. They may actually be pilgrims without any 'official' status, only a calling to demonstrate their values and help others who pass through their lives.

Such folk may never be noticed by pilgrims passing through, but their colleagues and organisations will certainly know of them and be inspired by their values and lives.

It is important that we bear witness to such people in a sensitive way that would not embarrass them.

Bob M

these people are why the Church celebrates "All Saints Day" every year, to remember the quiet workers for the Kingdom of God. We are surrounded by holy people doing the work of good, not just on the Camino, but everywhere. If we open our eyes we will see them. If we open are hearts we will BE them!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I saw in another thread that Kat Davis has passed away. Kat Davis was certainly a 'repeat offender' in terms of her service to other people. Writing guidebooks is a time-consuming labour of love, not the road to material riches - but perhaps one of the roads to riches of a better sort. If I make it to the Kumano Kodo, Kat will be an invisible companion.

Bob M

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back