A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Recognize this pilgrim?

Peligro

Camino(s) past & future
St. Jean to Sarria the slow way
(Aug'15, Aug'17, Jan'18, Aug'18, Jan'19) Sarria to SdC (Jul'19)
This statue is just after O Cebreiro. I just realized that the picture I took is the same statue as on the cover of a book from 2004 that my mother in law gave me. The staff is now broken off at the hand and the brickwork around the base seems different. Does anybody know the back story on this pilgrim? I'd love to hear it!IMG_4450.JPGIMG_1254.JPG

NorthernLight

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
St Roch, aka San Roque, was bishop in Le Puy back in the day, and is one of the earliest recorded pilgrims to Santiago. Statues and paintings of him are everywhere, usually with him hoisting his robe showing the sore on his knee, and with a little dog beside him.

No, his knee wasn't sore from walking. It has something to do with him curing some faithful of leprosy. Details have faded in my memory, but a search should answer further lingering questions.

Peligro

Camino(s) past & future
It’s on the Alto de San Roque. All I know is that it depicts a medieval pilgrim, walking against the wind. The artist is from Galicia, José María Acuña and it is made in bronze....
I can attest to the walking against the wind part. It was very foggy, wet and windy that day. Otherwise I would have spent more time with the statue. There’s always next time ...

Peligro

Camino(s) past & future
St Roch, aka San Roque, was bishop in Le Puy back in the day, and is one of the earliest recorded pilgrims to Santiago. Statues and paintings of him are everywhere, usually with him hoisting his robe showing the sore on his knee, and with a little dog beside him.

No, his knee wasn't sore from walking. It has something to do with him curing some faithful of leprosy. Details have faded in my memory, but a search should answer further lingering questions.
Lucky we can all go back and see everything for the first time again. I wish I had known who he was the first time around :)

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Camino Portugues, June 2019

I read that San Roque was suffering from plague. Unfortunately he probably contracted it from fleas carried by his faithful dog.

NorthernLight

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Well, I had to go look. Wikipedia says it was indeed plague (and other diseases lumped in as plague) and it was the dog that cured him and saved his life. The dog belonged to a local nobleman... I wonder if he liberated the dog.... He's also:

Patron Saint of: bachelors, diseased cattle, dogs, falsely accused people, invalids, surgeons, tile-makers, gravediggers, second-hand dealers, pilgrims, apothecaries etc.

I don't see them calling him bishop of Le Puy, but was named to succeed his father as governor of Montpellier, but he ran off to Rome instead. I'm sure I read something while on the Le Puy camino about him being bishop.

Mackie

Roncesvalles - SDC 2011; Ponferrada - SDC 2016
Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles-Santiago (2011); Ponferrada-Santiago (2016)
IMG_0738 (1).JPG

Alto do San Roque on Sunday, Sep 25, 2016 at 8:05 am. I had just left O Cebreiro and was on my way to Triacastela. A pilgrim is walking ahead of me.

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
I wonder when the staff was broken (stolen?) I have it whole in a photo from September 2001 - the only other one I have from 2017 by which time it's been shortened.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I wonder when the staff was broken (stolen?) I have it whole in a photo from September 2001 - the only other one I have from 2017 by which time it's been shortened.
In 2015...my boy was naughty.😐
20150509_064733.jpg

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 25.0%