Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendation for albergue in Oviedo?

pattimlin

First-time Pelegrino from Dublin
Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, 7-20 September. 2014
Hi

Just a week until I start the Primitivo!

I arrive in Oviedo just after 18:00 on Sunday 7th September. Can anyone recommend a good albergue there for the first night before I start walking on the Monday?

Thanks!

Pat

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hostal Oviedo opposite the train station - not an albergue but pilgrim friendly. There is an albergue in Oviedo - it should be in the guides (paper or online) - behind the Cathedral somewhere.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is also a private albergue, Albergue Villa Cecilla, but it's not a Camino albergue, rather a rooming house turned partial albergue. And it gets bizarre and mostly bad reviews (in Spanish). http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-villa-cecilia#rc-comentarios

I can heartily recommend the Hostal Arcos, right near the arches into the ayuntamiento plaza, very near the market, near the library, great location in old town. Very nice owners, very clean. http://www.hostal-arcos.com

Their website no longer lists prices, but the last time I was there, they were in price-slashing mode because the recession was killing them. I think my private room with bath was in the low 20s. Buen camino, Laurie

.... and if you like to stay in a nice place which was recommended by other pilgrims starting in Oviedo: www.hotelvetusta.com
Their breakfast in the coffee shop is delicious.

Totally agree with fraluchi. I've stayed in the Vetusta five or six times over the years and it is charming, reasonably priced and has a lot of delicious home made goodies in the cafe for breakfast. Just depends on your frame of mind.

Pilgrim minimum -- municipal albergue
Pilgrim basic with private bath -- Hostal Arcos
Pilgrim splurge -- Hotel Vetusta
Pilgrim super-splurge -- Hotel Reconquista (of Vicky Cristina Barcelona fame)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pilgrim minimum -- municipal albergue
Pilgrim basic with private bath -- Hostal Arcos
Pilgrim super-splurge -- Hotel Reconquista (of Vicky Cristina Barcelona fame)

Laurie, you missed Albergue Villa Cecilla. Having stayed at both, I can attest to the fact that it goes in below the municipal on your scale (but costs twice as much)!

Laurie, you missed Albergue Villa Cecilla. Having stayed at both, I can attest to the fact that it goes in below the municipal on your scale (but costs twice as much)!

I have seen lots of bad reports on Villa Cecilia, kiwi-family, yours included. But since there is no other albergue option in Oviedo, people will be tempted, so it's good to keep reporting the bad news. I'll bet Hostal Arcos would have been no more expensive and so much nicer. It is really a shame to stay in a bad place in such a beautiful city, kind of takes away the glow.

A ver si esto se hace al final...
Si queréis leer la segunda noticia, tenéis que pagar.

See if this is the end ...
If you want to read the second story, you have to pay.

http://www.elcomercio.es/v/20131003/oviedo/pelayas-proponen-crear-albergue-20131003.html

Las Pelayas proponen crear un albergue de peregrinos

La madre abadesa sugiere que podría ubicarse en un bajo actualmente usado como almacén del Museo Arqueológico

03.10.13 - 00:10 -
R. M. / A. S. | OVIEDO.

1 voto2 votos 3 votos4 votos5 votos
0 votos
Comenta esta noticia |

En Tuenti

La madre abadesa de Las Pelayas, Rosario del Camino Fernández-Miranda, propuso ayer crear un albergue de peregrinos en el monasterio. La comunidad de religiosas «siempre tuvo esa ilusión», confesó tras la inauguración de las obras de la cubierta por parte de la ministra de Fomento Ana Pastor.

Podría ubicarse en una estancia, debajo de la Academia de la Llingua, en la calle El Águila (cuya fachada sufre desprendimientos y su renovación es urgente aunque no hay previsión de actuar en ella). Actualmente las benedictinas se la alquilan a la Consejería de Cultura que las usa como almacén del Museo Arqueológico. Algo que proporciona a las religiosas unos ingresos de los que, sin embargo, «no pueden prescindir». Aun así, sor Rosario lanzó su propuesta aprovechando que en el acto también estaban responsables del Ejecutivo regional. Tendría espacio «suficiente para dos salas comunes, una pequeña lavandería, una cocina, habitaciones y duchas», sugiere la madre abadesa pensando en el Monasterio de las Benedictinas de León.

El director de Patrimonio, José Adolfo Rodríguez Asensio, por su parte, consideró que «hay que revalorizar el Camino Primitivo y para ello es importante contar con las infraestructuras adecuadas» por lo que «podría encajar el proyecto», avanzó sin más compromiso.

No es la primera vez que alguien piensa en Las Pelayas como posible ubicación de un albergue de peregrinos. Lo ha sugerido también el presidente de la Asociación Astur-Leonesa de Amigos del Camino de Santiago, José Luis Galán, que insiste en la necesidad de buscar una instalación con las condiciones que necesita una ciudad que pretende ser parte importante del camino.

http://www.lne.es/oviedo/2014/05/30/pelayas-fonda-peregrinos/1593156.html

El nuevo alojamiento de la ruta jacobea en la ciudad
Las Pelayas, fonda de peregrinos

El municipio y el Gobierno regional alcanzan un acuerdo para costear al 50% el traslado del albergue de viajeros del Camino de Santiago a un local de las benedictinas
30.05.2014 | 10:13
pelayas-fonda-1.jpg
Un lateral del monasterio de las Pelayas, la ubicación del nuevo albergue de peregrinos. luisma murias

E. VÉLEZ Oviedo tendrá un nuevo albergue de peregrinos dentro del monasterio de Las Pelayas gracias a un acuerdo de...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
.... and if you like to stay in a nice place which was recommended by other pilgrims starting in Oviedo: www.hotelvetusta.com
Their breakfast in the coffee shop is delicious.
Thank you for this suggestion. I have made a reservation for tonight and am looking forward to an individual room after 22 nights in dormitories!

Hotel Vetusta is probably an excellent hotel - but at 62 euros a night for a single room, maybe a bit expensive for some :rolleyes:.....

Totally agree with fraluchi. I've stayed in the Vetusta five or six times over the years and it is charming, reasonably priced and has a lot of delicious home made goodies in the cafe for breakfast. Just depends on your frame of mind.
... Pilgrim basic with private bath -- Hostal Arcos
Hotel Vetusta looks great - but at 62 Euros for a single room, maybe a bit expensive for some of us.
Can you recommend any slightly cheaper ones, maybe on the camino route out of town?
I'm very much looking forward to next May .... flight booked!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have stayed at Hostal Oviedo, on calle Uria, across the train station as well at Hostal or Pensio Romero on calle Uria, a few blocks further down, nearly across the street fro the Corte Ingles. There is also a new alberge at no. 8 on Covadonga street that is supposed to be very good.

Hotel Vetusta looks great - but at 62 Euros for a single room, maybe a bit expensive for some of us.
Can you recommend any slightly cheaper ones, maybe on the camino route out of town?
I'm very much looking forward to next May .... flight booked!
Hi, Stephen,
I remember a conversation about this topic here a while ago, and I made a mental note that nrxt time I would try the Hostal Alvarez, http://www.hostalalvarez.mobi. It's a good location for the exit on the Primitivo the next day. I have not stayed here, but a forum member recommended it. I love the location of the ARcos, right in the old town, but it too has gotten a bit pricey. When in May are you leaving? I'm hoping to walk the Salvador Primitivo after the Ebro,but I'll probably be later than you. Buen camino, Laufrie

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-to-stay-in-oviedo.31639/#post-277353

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Glad you found the name, all I knew was the address. And I had been told it was an albergue. But 20 Euros for a private room with shared bathroom is not bad at all, especially considering what the albergues offer.

Laurie, are your friends still planning on opening a new place?
Hi, Anemone,
Sadly, the donativo albergue that had been on their wish list for a long time has been moved to the back burner. But I am hoping that there will be another plan someday.

Hi, Stephen, When in May are you leaving? I'm hoping to walk the Salvador Primitivo after the Ebro,but I'll probably be later than you. Buen camino, Laufrie
Because I find it difficult to have patience to walk yet anther camino, and I promised my missus I'd go in May ... I have booked the flight for May 1st!!
It would be lovely if our paths crossed. I walk VERY slowly ... sometimes only 10 kms a day! :rolleyes: and because I have 'princess' feet, rarely more than 22-24 kms.
I expect to be walking for at least three weeks, and, depending on how it goes, may end at Melide OR walk on to SdC OR even walk towards Finisterre.
For me, that's one of the beauties of walking the Camino ... take as long as you like, walk as far as you like, forget your daily 'busy-ness' and wonder just two things - "Where shall I eat?" and "Where shall I sleep?"
All life's other worries disappear :).
Hope to see you, Laurie!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hello, i bought the tickets for oviedo , but our plane arrives late in the night..there are no buses driving that late at night so i'm trying to find a reasonably prices albergue near the airport. any suggestions?

hello, i bought the tickets for oviedo , but our plane arrives late in the night..there are no buses driving that late at night so i'm trying to find a reasonably prices albergue near the airport. any suggestions?

Asturias airport serves Oviedo. On Google maps the closest accommodation to the airport is the Marques de La Moral.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I doubt any albergue will let you in as you arriving past pilgrim bedtime, but there are many pensiones, including Hostal or Pension Oviedo by the train station and Pension Homero, also on the main street, but couple of blocks down, closer to the Cathedral.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The last bus from the airport to Oviedo is scheduled for 23:20. If your flight lands so late that you cannot make that connection there are always taxis. The 45k trip took 2o minutes with a taxi driver who never broke sweat and accepted a €50 note with a smile and a shrug. You will need to pre-book an hotel in Oviedo if arriving late. There are several recommendations on the Forum my favourite is the, oh never mind I don't want it booked out ;)

thanks so much, yes of course i was thinking about taxi but i tried to calculate the night fare and it turned out more than my plane from venice :S . but i still guess taxi is the best choise

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back