• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

recommendation for albergues to fisterre

Time of past OR future Camino
September 5 2014
I'm finishing Camino Frances tomorrow and wanting to walk to Fisterre. Can anyone suggest good albergues along the way and somewhere nice for a night in SDC? Other hints/recommendations welcome too!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed at Xunta operated San Lazero, located on the right after you cross the bridge over the highway. I had trouble finding it though it is obvious ... Very comfortable even if it is still a distance to town center. It has a maximum stay limit. This was one of the better fitted out albergues on the camino.

I also stayed at Seminario Mayor which offers very basic rooms for about 20 euro and also has a maximum stay limit. This is located across the square from the cathedral.

I would recommend John Brierley's guide for Camino Finisterre. It lists the albergues.

The guide does not mention the excellent and new Albergue and Bar Casa Pepa at San Marina.

The Albergue do Sol e da Luna in Fisterra was a good place to stay. It offered communal meals.

I'm finishing Camino Frances tomorrow and wanting to walk to Fisterre. Can anyone suggest good albergues along the way and somewhere nice for a night in SDC? Other hints/recommendations welcome too!

David,

Congratulations on your pending arrival!

Here are some of my favorites for your Finisterre walk; most are in simple albergues.

Negreira, municipal albergue de Negreira. Basic and clean with kitchen, two dorms and 20 real beds not bunks. Nearby in Negreira the Cafe Bar Imperial has a VERY good and copious menu del dia. The friendly barman/owner is English and his wife Spanish. At lunch I am often the only other woman in the place, but they graciously make me feel at home.

Vilaserio, albergue-O-Rueiro. Very comfortable with many blankets, but no heat in late autumn/winter! It is run by the only bar in the tiny town. It is much more comfortable than the old school near-by used as emergency facilities!

Santa Mariña (Maroñas-Mazaricos), albergue Casa Pepa. New, private and very pleasant with great HEAT last December and very slick showers. They serve meals as well.

Olveiroa, albergue de Santiago. I love it here. This municipal albergue is a very successful renovation of stone farm buildings. Nearby is a great casa rurale , Aspias. Their cozy bar and restaurant are open to all and they also have private rooms available.

After Olveiroa walking across the hills near Cee you can at last glimpse the sea!! Near-by is the basic, but very welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. After their donativo dinner in the dark from the dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining out to sea it is magical.

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just want to add a food recommendation. The last couple of times I have walked to Finisterre or Muxia, I have always tried to avoid having to eat in Olveiroa. I have had too many bad experiences, either in the restaurants across the street from the public albergue, or in the restaurant right at the entrance into town. They are awful, simply awful. But this year, I was walking with a Portuguese guy who said -- we have to stop for a bite to eat in Olveiroa (we were going on to Dumbria, and if you're going to walk to Muxia from Santiago, I highly recommend that albergue). I thought he was crazy, but I agreed. We went to As Pias, the restaurante/pension that is located right as you are leaving town. First hint that it would be good -- it was FULL of locals, inside and out, standing nearby in the street eating and drinking. It was fabulous, so my recommendation is that if you are in Olveiroa, eat nowhere but in As Pias.

Stayed in the municipal in Negreira this year in June, it was pretty grim. Very hot and the windows could not open. Needs maintenance.

I found the bathroom facilities in the muni in Olvieroa very, very basic and not very private either. So not suitable to someone who has problems about such things. I decided if I ever stop in Olvieroa again I would try the one entering the village (last time I walked on).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Municipal in Negreira was full when we were there so we went to Albergue Alecrin (turn right on the main road - ie go just off the camino). It was pretty big - maybe 20 or so bunks (I don't recall exactly) and full (not to mention smelly with all those bodies and wet rain gear), but they offered for us to sleep "out the back" across a courtyard in an enormous room with only four bunks. Drawback was you had to go back into the main room for the toilets and showers, but I think it was a positive. In fact, when we came back through, we asked for that room instead of being in the main one! Good little kitchen and supermarket is just up the street. Showers were delightfully hot and clean and looked very new.

Ponte Olveira. Donativo in a box behind the restaurant which served average (but very welcome) food. When we turned up saturated, the owners took all our gear and laid it out upstairs above the restaurant and turned heaters on to try to dry it. Showers grotty, room small, but we were so grateful to be there! Everything else was full.

We were then going to walk on further, but the family we were walking with could only manage to get as far as Cee so we stopped with them. What a great find - Albergue A Casa da Fonte. For a start, they did kids rates!! (5euro, 10 for adults) Adequate kitchen and supermarkets nearby. Fantastic drying areas. Big lounge with couches. But best of all was the enormous dorm with a couple of metres between each set of bunks, and huge windows that let light in. And free tea;-)

At Fisterra I lined the kids up in the municipal queue while I followed a tout to look at other places. Stuck with our original plan - it was satisfactory. Bunks squished pretty close together, but not as close as both the places we stayed in Oviedo. And let's face it, we spent our time walking out to the lighthouse and playing at the beach - we were only there to sleep!

I stayed at albergue Do Mar in Finistrerre in May, 2014 and I recommend it. It is newly renovated and very nice. You will see it along the el camino just before you arrive at the port of Finisterre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David,

Congratulations on your pending arrival!

Here are some of my favorites for your Finisterre walk; most are in simple albergues.

Negreira, municipal albergue de Negreira. Basic and clean with kitchen, two dorms and 20 real beds not bunks. Nearby in Negreira the Cafe Bar Imperial has a VERY good and copious menu del dia. The friendly barman/owner is English and his wife Spanish. At lunch I am often the only other woman in the place, but they graciously make me feel at home.

Vilaserio, albergue-O-Rueiro. Very comfortable with many blankets, but no heat in late autumn/winter! It is run by the only bar in the tiny town. It is much more comfortable than the old school near-by used as emergency facilities!

Santa Mariña (Maroñas-Mazaricos), albergue Casa Pepa. New, private and very pleasant with great HEAT last December and very slick showers. They serve meals as well.

Olveiroa, albergue de Santiago. I love it here. This municipal albergue is a very successful renovation of stone farm buildings. Nearby is a great casa rurale , Aspias. Their cozy bar and restaurant are open to all and they also have private rooms available.

After Olveiroa walking across the hills near Cee you can at last glimpse the sea!! Near-by is the basic, but very welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. After their donativo dinner in the dark from the dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining out to sea it is magical.

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Meredith

Hello,
Is it necessary to make a reservation at the albergue de Santiago in Oleveiroa?

Thanks for your help.

Linda

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at albergue Do Mar in Finistrerre in May, 2014 and I recommend it. It is newly renovated and very nice. You will see it along the el camino just before you arrive at the port of Finisterre.
Hi everyone 😊
I will walk Camino Finistere soon and am very much looking forward to it.
I have a small disability and can only walk 10km each day .. are there albergues ( or other sleep places) approx every 10km on this route?
I can’t see from the maps.
Thanks

Mary234,

The list published in the Gronze guide Camino de Fisterra y Muxía should be helpful for your planning; this is in Spanish but a Chrome browser can translate it.

During past caminos walking to Finisterre I usually stopped at Negreira, Vilaserio, Olveiroa, and Corcubion/San Roque
along the path before Finisterre.The Xunta albergues were great.

Good luck with your planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back