• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendation for five-day walk for first-timers?

cakehoover

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023 (planned)
Hello!

Just found this forum - what an amazing community!

We're two mid-forties people looking for a first-time, five-day trip somewhere on the Camino, in early June 2023. Our question is what might be a good itinerary.

Some relevant info:

- We're planning a five-day walk that's part of a longer holiday, so it doesn't have to be near an airport, though if it was near train stations that would be good (unless there's easy transport booking?)
- We're thinking of either the Portuguese Camino north of Lisbon, or the Spanish northern section south of Santiago
- We’re medium fit, but not marathon runners
- We don't have any particular places in mind, but would like the walking to be beautiful and interesting
- We want to stay in slightly plusher places (too old for hostels...) if possible, and if there were lovely towns or villages en route that would be a bonus!

Any suggestions very gratefully received! Thanks :))

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the main Portuguese route, a nice section would be from Tomar to Coimbra. Both are easily connected to from Lisboa on the train. Both cities are historically and architecturally fascinating. In between is Conimbriga (just south of Coimbra), which is a major Roman site in Portugal. And the countryside is beautiful.

The towns and villages in between the two are pleasant, the terrain is fairly friendly, and in June, the weather should be good but not too hot! There are a lot of rural lodgings between towns in this area. Google Maps can give you a good sense of where they are.

(That is, summer weather but not brutally, baking hot summer weather. In some years, including last year, the more southern part of the route can be challenging. Lots of farm fields and very little shade, for long stretches.)

Bom caminho!

You might consider one of the tour operators who specialize in the Camino like Santiago Ways. They provide flexible tours and plusher accommodations. Or look into the GR routes - there are many beautiful hikes in Spain and Europe.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hahaha - yes I admit it, we're just lightweights!

@FriendfromBarquinha - thank you, that sounds like a great suggestion. Will look into Tomar->Coimbra.

And @JaimeCarrollo yes, I'd been wondering about tour operators - will take a look at Santiago Ways and the threads about tour companies.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a quick question - what is the purpose of your walking? Do you want to eventually get a Compostella or do you just want to hike? This might make a difference on where and how people suggest you travel.

Totally agree with everyone who chuckled at the idea of mid-40's being too old for hostels (albergues). As if!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks - great question. It's all about the hiking! (and the scenery, and the Portuguese food...)
Then you might want to follow some of JungleBoy's recommendations about the Algarve and the Alentejo. Definitely the Nascente (Faro >> north) is the "route less travelled," but, having explored a bit in the area--the scenery is gorgeous, and you're actually on flat roads and tracks, and not trudging on a lot of pavement. And the people get so few walkers that you're a welcome novelty (mind you, this is true just about anywhere south of Porto).

Language--a bit more challenging, but you can manage.

Here's a Portuguese tourist video that I watch periodically, just to remind myself of how beautiful it is--

Useful website--

Have fun!

Oh yeah--and here's all the Visit Portugal videos--they do a nice job on these--

Then you might want to follow some of JungleBoy's recommendations about the Algarve and the Alentejo. Definitely the Nascente (Faro >> north) is the "route less travelled," but, having explored a bit in the area--the scenery is gorgeous, and you're actually on flat roads and tracks...
Just revisiting some of this...it occurs to me that the 3 stages (as shown) from Beja to Evora would be a nice hike. Both are really interesting, historically significant cities. That would be Stages 6 through 8 on the Nascente (Eastern) Way as listed on their website.

And just south of Evora are the fascinating prehistoric rock sites (we visited these on a bicycle tour from Evora). You could easily slow down by a day, and visit those enroute to Evora...just a thought...

Friend from Barquinha's mention of "brutally, baking hot summer weather" caught my eye. I just saw in my Sunflower guide to Northern Portugal that "...almost certainly it is too hot to walk by the middle of June." My group has been contemplating a three-day walk between Valenca and Rates (details not yet determined) during the second week of July.

Is the Sunflower guide correct? Is it too hot to walk that time of year?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Friend from Barquinha's mention of "brutally, baking hot summer weather" caught my eye. I just saw in my Sunflower guide to Northern Portugal that "...almost certainly it is too hot to walk by the middle of June." My group has been contemplating a three-day walk between Valenca and Rates (details not yet determined) during the second week of July.

Keep in mind that Barquinha is a long way south of Northern Portugal. Typically, the NP climate is about like the Pacific Northwest of North America (think Portland, Seattle, Vancouver).

Others who know the area you're writing about will have firsthand experience, but unless it's a very hot summer, I can't imagine that area being brutal, baking hot.

Bom caminho!

Take shade umbrellas, just in case. They make a huge difference.

IMG_4240 (1).jpeg

LoL! We're actually in the US Pacific NW, in Seattle. If NP's temps are anything like ours have been the past two summers... we hit 94 F last July, a record for us... I'm not sure even umbrellas will be enough. (Of which I have a huge collection! :)

Looking forward to NP pilgrims' input: is early July too hot to walk the Central route?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It depends on your heat tolerance. When I started my Camino Portugues in October 2018, the temperatures were still in the 30s C. I also walked the Camino Frances in July/August. Start early, stay hydrated, you should be fine. There is plenty of infrastructure and you won't be walking long days across a shadeless plain with no place to get out of the heat. It's not like you'll be on the VDLP in July.

"...you won't be walking long days across a shadeless plain with no place to get out of the heat. It's not like you'll be on the VDLP in July."

Thanks, David, that's exactly what I needed to hear. :)

First of all nobody talks about but where are you arriving in Portugal ?
in Lisbon or Porto or maybe Santiago de Compostela

To take the train to a certain place is a good idea
Coimbra is a good start or what was mentioned already Tomar but also from Porto to e.g. Barcelos

Friends of mine booked a flight to Porto and take the train to Barcelos and walked from there to Valença do Minho on the Spanish border From there is the train back to Porto or the ALSA bus which takes you via Braga into the towncenter of Porto.
Braga is a nice place to have a stop overnight and see the famous world heritage spot , the sanctuary Bom Jesus do Monte and the Roman center.

And you can stay at the most famous place to sleep on the Portuguese central route, Casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães. Don’t miss this place .And that said , forget travel agents and find your way yourself. That is more authentic and gives more the caminho feeling. You can stay everywhere in Portugal and do not need travel agents to arrange your journey. I walked the Portuguese 5 times and never used the help of travel agents nor backpack forwarding.
and finally. Flying to Santiago and than go 5 tracks back you keep on staying in Spain so you do not feel the Portuguese atmosphere .

bom caminho

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back