• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendation for Madrid

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Has anyone a recommendation for accommodation in Madrid close to the start of the Camino?
Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have booked into a Hotel - Lotus Opera House. I have found the accommodation range in Madrid to be quite expensive, but I wanted a private room to get over some jetlag and close to the San Juan Church, Not far from the Opera Metro station.

Where are you going to start walking, Sharon? And do you want a youth hostel or a basic pension or maybe even something fancy? Lots of options of course. Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie,
We are going to walk from the Church of Santiago and St John the Baptist.
We would probably want a pension. Thanks

Hi Laurie,
We are going to walk from the Church of Santiago and St John the Baptist.
We would probably want a pension. Thanks
Hi Sharon. This year I stayed in Hostal Atocha Almudena Martin. Previously, in my favourite Hostal Persal which is more expensive but in lovely old Plaza. Anywhere around those areas is good.
On my rest day in Madrid I walked to Plaza Castilla and took the train back to Sol then next morning took train back to start walking from the first yellow arrow and nice breakfast at Cafe Rodeiro.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have seen these places but have not stayed there. I was in Madrid a few weeks ago and wrote down some names of places that looked decent and that were near the church.

450 m from the church, right on Calle Mayor. Pension Rodriguez

The Citadel (even closer, I think)

Los amigos Hostal

Prices for these places rise and fall a lot with tourism seasons. Last minute booking deals might get you in a nicer place, at least that has been my experience.

Good luck with this. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Sharon. This year I stayed in Hostal Atocha Almudena Martin. Previously, in my favourite Hostal Persal which is more expensive but in lovely old Plaza. Anywhere around those areas is good.
On my rest day in Madrid I walked to Plaza Castilla and took the train back to Sol then next morning took train back to start walking from the first yellow arrow and nice breakfast at Cafe Rodeiro.
Thanks Heather.

I have seen these places but have not stayed there. I was in Madrid a few weeks ago and wrote down some names of places that looked decent and that were near the church.

450 m from the church, right on Calle Mayor. Pension Rodriguez

The Citadel (even closer, I think)

Los amigos Hostal

Prices for these places rise and fall a lot with tourism seasons. Last minute booking deals might get you in a nicer place, at least that has been my experience.

Good luck with this. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at the Far Home Atocha...midway between the Church of Santiago and the 'main drag' out of Madrid and a comfortable cross between a youth hostal and a full blown hotel. For me, it was a happy stay...

I have booked into a Hotel - Lotus Opera House. I have found the accommodation range in Madrid to be quite expensive, but I wanted a private room to get over some jetlag and close to the San Juan Church, Not far from the Opera Metro station.
Thanks Stripey Socks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.