• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations about the variante espiritual?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances in 2016, Portuguese in 2017, and Frances again in 2018. Madrid to Ponferrada 2019.
I am 2 days shy of the choice to take the variante. Is it well marked? I don't see any maps for it anywhere in Brierley or elsewhere. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it possible to walk shorter stages then the ones listed?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well marked, all you need is the flyer found in all the albergues you have been in already.

You can make it shorter by walking to Poio directly instead of walking out via the regular route (different bridge, ask the tourism office opin Pontevedra). You could also spend a night in a pension/hotel in Combarro, leaving the hike up the mountain to the monastery for the next day.

At the bottom of the Ruta de piedra & agua there is a restaurant and pension you can stay at (Os Castanos). This could be a good alternative if you walk from Combarro that day, or just stay in Armenteira after the mountain.

It's a very pretty trail, but if historical camino-trail precedence is important to you, the "Variant" has none, no matter what moonshine the guy in the boat tells you. By all means enjoy a lovely couple of days hiking.
I'm being cynical here, but anytime someone calls something "Spiritual," hang on to your wallet!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Chito, please tell. Did you take the variant? Please share.
I am planning my Portuguese Camino for this July and would love more information.

I did take the variant and have been enjoying it. I will take the boat to Padron tomorrow. The 2 stages for me were long; I walk slow. Left the auberge in Armenteria at 7:30 am today and arrived at about 4pm. I broke up the first stage into 2 days, which worked for me. Much of the walk is following a stream through the woods, which was very nice. I'm glad I did it.
I'm grateful to the folks who provided info on this thread.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is there an elevation map anywhere? Haven't been able to find one online.
Haven't seen yet an elevation map but the climb between Combarro and Armenteira is pretty steep.
F you walked the central Portuguese route from Ponte de Lima to Rubiães and climbed the Alto de Portela Grande mountain , I must say that the Combarro to Armenteira climbing is much steeper.

You could walk the Variante Espiritual in 3 stages, first Pontevedra to Combarro,then your climb to Armenteira-you could stay in the albergue there or walk another 7 kms on the Pedras e Augas trail,a beautiful medieval path along a river .at the end of this path you will find a small hamlet where is a guesthouse os Castaños where you can sleep.
Ask the owner ,a kind lady of os Casañoscall to call the port of Vilanova de Arousa to find out when the boat leaves for Padrón. From her it is an easy 14 kms to Vila Nova de Arousa where is a kind of albergue in a sportshal as far as I am concerned.
The boat leaves on behalf of the tides so can be any time of the day. So find your information in advance.

The first stage is considered medium difficulty and the second two stages are considered low difficulty. I broke up the first stage by staying at the monastery DE poio. (A bit expensive at 45 Euro) stayed in a nice hostel in Armenteira. The second stage; I left about 7:30 in the morning and arrived about 3:30 in the afternoon. I am a very slow walker and it was very doable. The third stage is by boat, which I did a few days ago. The boat left at 8 a.m. the hostel there was fine also. I'm really glad that I took that variant and it is a great walk if a person just has a few day window. When I arrived in Padron I walked about 12K and spent the night at an inexpensive pensione which was very nice, 20 Euro. Then walked the additional 10 to 12 kilometers into Santiago the next day.
Enjoy, Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Regarding the boat. Do not wait until you get to the bar/hotel Os Castanos to find out at what time it leaves. Much better for planning to call two, yes, there are 2, operators from the albergue in Armenteira.

Depending on which one you call, and depending on tides and the number of people they think will be getting on the boat, the operators will use a particular boat. This means that while one may set off at 3pm, the other may set off at 9am.

Phone numbers for both operators can be found at the Armenteira albergue, while the people at the Vila Nova de Arousa only sell tickets for one of them.

I had called the evening before, and knew there was a hoat that could leave in the morning. When I got to Vila Nova, I was told the boat only left mid-afternoon... Until I said "no, I spoke to an operator yesterday, and he said early morning". Like magic, the schedule changed, when the guy working with the albergue in VN realised he might lose a lot of business and all of a sudden found a boat that could leave in the morning, despite a lower tide. :confused:

When I checked into the Albergue in Armenteria, the hospitalero sold me my ticket for the boat and told me when to be there. Pretty much everybody in the Albergue went to the boat together.

When I checked into the Albergue in Armenteria, the hospitalero sold me my ticket for the boat and told me when to be there. Pretty much everybody in the Albergue went to the boat together.
I wonder if they are competing with the guy selling ticks at the VN albergue, or if it's the same,one, undercutting the second one by selling tickets a day sooner :D.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So could you please outline the three stages that you'll take when you walk the Spiritual Variant? Where on the Camino Portuguese will I pick up the Spiritual Variant? Please list the stages for me. Our destination, of course, is Santiago.

It starts about 2km after Pontevedra. There is a huge sign you can´t miss :). 1st stage is to Armenteria, 2nd from Armenteria to Vilanova de Arousa. There you can take a boat to Padron on the next day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am thinking of walking the spiritual variant of the camino Portuguès next mid/ late April. Weather seems quite reasonable to this Canadian. Opinions? I would expect snow on the mountain but mid teen weather otherwise?

Also, experienced pilgrims, how does mount Almenteira ( ph) compare to the Pyrénées or Cebreiro, if at all?

Will someone tell me what towns or sites I would "miss" if I choose the variant espiritual please?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back