• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for a beautiful week long walk?

ChrisMac

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Portuguese, Madrid, Primitivo, Salvador....next is Mozarabe
Hello Camino fans! I am flying into Madrid next Monday 8th April and staying for approx 1 week. I am in search of recommendations for a section of any camino which would fit my time boundary of 1 week which is not too difficult to get to from Madrid? I was considering continuing the Camino de Madrid which I walked to Valladolid last year but wondered if you fine folk had any other suggestions from past experience? Thanks Camino family! Un abrazo! Chris X

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some friends walked the Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona.... but not sure how easy it would be to get to and from? It's 5-6 days long and they said it was beautiful.

Thank you. It looks awesome but bit tricky to get to from Madrid.....will store it for another occasion though...:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Camino fans! I am flying into Madrid next Monday 8th April and staying for approx 1 week. I am in search of recommendations for a section of any camino which would fit my time boundary of 1 week which is not too difficult to get to from Madrid? I was considering continuing the Camino de Madrid which I walked to Valladolid last year but wondered if you fine folk had any other suggestions from past experience? Thanks Camino family! Un abrazo! Chris X

For simplicity, as you are starting from Madrid, I would choose to walk on from Valladolid towards Sahagun. i did it that second half in November a couple of years ago and found it very enjoyable.

Thank you. How many days did it take you?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some friends walked the Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona.... but not sure how easy it would be to get to and from? It's 5-6 days long and they said it was beautiful.
My thought, too.
Train from Madrid to Irun. Local bus to Bayonne...and you're on your way. Return to Madrid from Pamplona.
It is a lovely 5-star camino!

For a bit more intense mountain drama, you could walk the San Salvador from Leon to Oviedo. I haven't walked this way but it gets wonderful reviews.

Soria to Burgos is also a possibility. Here is a thread with some chatter about the area, with some tracks. I've only walked the last 3 days, from Santo Domingo de Silos, and it was spectacular...very special.
I don't know how long it would take in total but here is a link to whet your appetite. Plenty of people here have done this and it looks wonderful - you can start by looking at @alansykes 's and @peregrina2000 's accounts - jump ahead to the sections past Soria.

Another thing you could do if that's too long or remote is to start in SDdS, merge with the Frances in Burgos, and see how far you get from there. If you are young and fit, you might easily get to Sahagun, which has easy train connections back to Madrid.

HiChris,
Here is one starting in Madrid that you won't regret. Little known but of a rare quality.
It can be done either way (Madrid-Uclés, camino de Uclés marked in red) or (Uclés-Madrid, camino de Santiago marked in yellow):

I'm sending you a mini-guide by pm.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Irun to Bilbao (or beyond). Beautiful vistas overlooking the Bay of Biscay. Oh, I just saw that you've already done the Norte.

Madrid to Toledo, 33 mn by train or 1h by bus
Toledo to Avila, 140 km by Camino de Levante, with very nice landscapes and interesting sites.
Avila to Madrid, 1,5 h by train or 2h by bus.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all was thinking of taking the train to Salamanca and walking north on the Via de Plata. Possibly reaching Astorga in 6 days. Has anyone been on this route/section of this route? Any reviews?

Thanks in advance

Chris X

Thank you!!! I've been humming and haaing for days on this.....I'm in Madrid now and have ruminated over 4 or 5 different options....including Toledo to Avila......Zamora to Astorga....why do you recommend??
Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Only done Zamora to Sanabria to Ourense to Santiago--and that is about 15-16 stages. But on Gronze stages, Zamora to Astorga is 6 stages. The VDlP stages are quite long. The two stages before Zamora from Salamanca are 37km and 32km respectively.. Those are 8-10 hours of steady walking!!

Madrid to Toledo, 33 mn by train or 1h by bus
Toledo to Avila, 140 km by Camino de Levante, with very nice landscapes and interesting sites.
Avila to Madrid, 1,5 h by train or 2h by bus.
Thanks matey....gonna go for this one X

Thank you. I'm going to walk this section X

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back