• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for a non crowded ‘pilgrimage’

SeattleWoman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in June 2018
I’m looking for similar walks to the CF that aren’t as crowded as the CF and which offers similar amenities as the CF, such as a clearly marked trail and frequent towns and hostels for food and shelter. Got Recommendations? Thanks!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll be watching this thread with interest but not holding my breath while waiting for positive answers :) There is a vicious/virtuous circle about the Camino Frances: it has a lot of facilities for pilgrims because so many people walk it, and so many people choose to walk it because it has such good facilities. When routes like the Camino Portugues begin to offer an infrastructure to rival the Frances then they too quickly become overcrowded for much of the year. Routes which do not attract large numbers cannot sustain a large pilgrim infrastructure. Perhaps the only way to square the circle is to walk the popular and well-supported routes at less congested times. So every year the "pilgrimage season" for the Camino Frances get longer!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll be watching this thread with interest but not holding my breath while waiting for positive answers :) There is a vicious/virtuous circle about the Camino Frances: it has a lot of facilities for pilgrims because so many people walk it, and so many people choose to walk it because it has such good facilities. When routes like the Camino Portugues begin to offer an infrastructure to rival the Frances then they too quickly become overcrowded for much of the year. Routes which do not attract large numbers cannot sustain a large pilgrim infrastructure. Perhaps the only way to square the circle is to walk the popular and well-supported routes at less congested times. So every year the "pilgrimage season" for the Camino Frances get longer!

Indeed, just walk the Frances mid March like I did and enjoy the hail and bitter cold on the lovely Meseta :D
Oh that comforting soup I was served in Reliegos that day. And I was the only pilgrim in the albergue that night.

I can't compare to the CF (I haven't walked it), but I did the Camino del Norte. The amenities were there - albergues, towns that seemed pretty frequent to someone from the Pacific Northwest, and very well waymarked trail. There are some stretches with 20km between albergues and 15km between towns. Not often, but a guide app or book of some sort is recommended and plan two to three days ahead to avoid odd stages.

Basque country had more ups and downs, with some pretty significant elevation changes each day. But it was also my favourite part of the trip. Very beautiful, and I have to admit, the hospitaleros were some of my favourite people along the way - very caring and kind.

Cantabria had decided to route pilgrims along roadsides, so while the landscape was at times very beautiful, my knees and feet ached from the pavement. There are shortcuts in Cantabria, but they were almost always along roads and highways. If I did it a second time, I wouldn't take them. Also, the public albergues were usually less nice than the private and religious ones.

Asturias was lovely, and had some glorious trails with much less paved surfaces than Cantabria. I did stay at some pretty amazing places, and in Asturias would highly recommend staying in little albergues (if you are using one of the apps, it say how many beds at different places. Ones with less than 10 beds are often in people's homes and the ones I stayed at were exceptionally clean, with fantastic home cooked meals).

Galicia was just exciting to know how close I was to finishing. Generally easy walking, well waymarked.

You could try the CdeMadrid, the San Salvador or the Primitivo which all offer much the same infrastructure as the CF. The first two are really great in their own way with comparatively much less usage, while the Primitivo although busy, does not get crowds like the CF. Also the CdeLevante to Zamora, another wonderful Camino which has a good infrastructure and is pretty underused. These I suggest as my own favourites. You have a surprisingly wide and varied choice of other Caminos if the CF is not to your taste. So whichever one you decide on, have a Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... frequent towns and hostels for food and shelter.
How frequent do you have in mind? And why do you choose that particular number? Do you require a hot breakfast, or will a cold one suffice? Do you require a hot midday meal, or will a picnic suffice? Is there anything preventing you from walking say 20 km/day?

One of the signal aspects of the pilgrim experience is learning the difference between what we need and what we want. We can alctually make do quite nicely with a lot less than we think.

I've walked almost the entirety of Prague to SJPP (missing only the 2 weeks just east of Le Puy), covering an average of 15 km/day. Every day I've managed three square meals, and every night I've managed to sleep in a bed. Everything east of SJPP is substantially less crowded than the CF.

... a clearly marked trail and frequent towns and hostels for food and shelter. Got Recommendations?

The following isn't a pilgrimage trail (although it intersects with trails to Santiago), but you might find it interesting. The Gran Senda de Malaga is 660 km long, broken into 35 stages with lots of small towns and villages along the way that allow for even shorter days if desired. It is well-marked and there is lots of info online: http://www.gransendademalaga.es

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m looking for similar walks to the CF that aren’t as crowded as the CF and which offers similar amenities as the CF, such as a clearly marked trail and frequent towns and hostels for food and shelter.
Any other route fits the criteria of not being as crowded as the CF. Many routes offer clearly marked trails, although "clearly" (like beauty) is in the eyes of the beholder. :cool:

You can quickly determine that the Camino Portugues, Norte, Invierno, Primitivo, Via de la Plata, Madrid are well documented. However, if you are planning for June, the southern routes will be very hot. That might eliminate the VdlP and Madrid. Is it important to arrive in Santiago? That would be a consideration. Have a look at this web site for details about all of these routes and more.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As alternative is camino ingles. Less crowd, nice public albergue, beautiful towns. However it does offer a long routes as other camino.

I’m looking for similar walks to the CF that aren’t as crowded as the CF...

I'm looking at the Aragones, myself....

Because I can only walk in the crowded time (August / September) I want to skip the most crowded parts of the CF.
So I want to try as my first camino the Aragones (Somport - Puente La Reina), CF (Puente La Reina - Ponferrada), Camino de Invierno (from Ponferrada), Camino Sanabrés (partly).
You get the idea with the map linked here:

... Have a look at this web site for details about all of these routes and more.

But many pilgrims say that Spanish becomes more important if you go other routes than the CF.

Last edited:
I can't compare to the CF (I haven't walked it), but I did the Camino del Norte. The amenities were there - albergues, towns that seemed pretty frequent to someone from the Pacific Northwest, and very well waymarked trail. There are some stretches with 20km between albergues and 15km between towns. Not often, but a guide app or book of some sort is recommended and plan two to three days ahead to avoid odd stages.

Basque country had more ups and downs, with some pretty significant elevation changes each day. But it was also my favourite part of the trip. Very beautiful, and I have to admit, the hospitaleros were some of my favourite people along the way - very caring and kind.

Cantabria had decided to route pilgrims along roadsides, so while the landscape was at times very beautiful, my knees and feet ached from the pavement. There are shortcuts in Cantabria, but they were almost always along roads and highways. If I did it a second time, I wouldn't take them. Also, the public albergues were usually less nice than the private and religious ones.

Asturias was lovely, and had some glorious trails with much less paved surfaces than Cantabria. I did stay at some pretty amazing places, and in Asturias would highly recommend staying in little albergues (if you are using one of the apps, it say how many beds at different places. Ones with less than 10 beds are often in people's homes and the ones I stayed at were exceptionally clean, with fantastic home cooked meals).

Galicia was just exciting to know how close I was to finishing. Generally easy walking, well waymarked.

Could you share the dates you walked El Norte? I’m considering Feb to early March 2018.....I’m not worried about cold or snow

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you were inclined to walk the Camino Frances, but want to avoid the crowds, you essentially have three choices IMHO:

1. Walk off-season, start no later than mid-April (Easter is 1 April in 2018) and be off the Camino by early June, when the schools start to get out... Alternatively, start in mid-September, and walk through the end of October.

2. Walk whenever you desire, but adhere to the "pig in the python defense (PIP)." Stay away from all cities and large towns where pilgrims commonly arrive on Friday afternoon by train or bus, and start on Saturday and Sunday. This includes: Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, Sarria, etc. Also, this means not arriving on Friday or Saturday, so you can find lodging. You alter your daily distances to keep the PIP in front of, or behind you at all times, to the extent possible. You must be flexible regarding rest days, daily distances and types of accommodation to create time and space for the python to work it's way...away from you.

3. Consider starting at the Somport Pass, walk the Camino Aragones until it flows into the Frances at Puente la Reina; then follow the Frances until Ponferrada. From there walk the final 258 Km to Santiago on the Invierno. This completely bypasses the Camino Frances from Ponferrada to Santiago, including the much complained about Sarria to Santiago segment. This route is 39 Km farther from Ponferrada, or about two days walking. But, consider what you avoid...

I hope this helps.

I’m looking for similar walks to the CF that aren’t as crowded as the CF and which offers similar amenities as the CF, such as a clearly marked trail and frequent towns and hostels for food and shelter. Got Recommendations? Thanks!!
Via Francigena
Camino del Norte

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I liked the Frances. I noticed the majority of "Buen Camino" greetings were less enthusiastic after Sarria. However, I was NOT bothered by the crowds at any time.

Because I can only walk in the crowded time (August / September) I want to skip the most crowded parts of the CF.
So I want to try as my first camino the Aragones (Somport - Puente La Reina), CF (Puente La Reina - Ponferrada), Camino de Invierno (from Ponferrada), Camino Sanabrés (partly).
You get the idea with the map linked here:

But many pilgrims say that Spanish becomes more important if you go other routes than the CF.
Not our experience--you can always find someone to help if need be. We have done the Norte, Primitivo, some as the Mozarabe, Aragones (actually started in Arles, FR. as well as the Frances.

Recommend the Norte and the route from Arles, FR, which becomes the Aragones (where some join in going over Somport pass) into Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Perhaps you could;

consider the CF during one of the shoulder seasons, or,

the Camino Portuguese from Porto via what is usually referred to as the Central Route, or,

from others have said, a specific stretch of the Camino Norte?

Others may disagree with me, however, from what you are asking it seems to me you are excluding the Camino Primitivo, the Camino Invernio and the Camino Ingles from your range of options.

Buen (finding what you want) Camino

I am walking El Norte and most recently paused my journey at Ribadeo. I have 200 km still to walk across the mountains. I agree with all your comments. Overall its a fantastic route and I wish El Camino del Norte was talked about more on this Forum. This is mainly so that I could join in with more posts

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Piedmont way. It goes by the foothills or Pyrenees, so it should be cooler in summer.
Enough albergues, but scarce restaurants or bars along the journeys.
Nice landscapes, some tough stages.

Could you share the dates you walked El Norte? I’m considering Feb to early March 2018.....I’m not worried about cold or snow

I walked from August 24 to October 8. I’d look at historic weather data-based on conversations with locals, you probably wouldn’t encounter snow, or only at the higher elevations in Basque Country. The rest of the time is more likely to be raining wet blustery weather and nterspersed with cool overcast days. If so, this Absolutely abismal if you aren’t prepared for it but kind of magic if you are.

Well, you seem to have been recommended to every camino in existence, including the Frances off-season! It must be impossible for you to make a choice - so let me confuse you even more: the most beautiful and quietest camino I have walked was the Ruta del Ebro. Check out my web site http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago and go down to Pilgrimage V.
Whichever you finally decide......
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Somebody said walk off season..there is no off season on the CF. I walked the levante twice this year..saw 3 pilgrims..bliss

If you were inclined to walk the Camino Frances, but want to avoid the crowds, you essentially have three choices IMHO:

1. Walk off-season, start no later than mid-April (Easter is 1 April in 2018) and be off the Camino by early June, when the schools start to get out... Alternatively, start in mid-September, and walk through the end of October.

2. Walk whenever you desire, but adhere to the "pig in the python defense (PIP)." Stay away from all cities and large towns where pilgrims commonly arrive on Friday afternoon by train or bus, and start on Saturday and Sunday. This includes: Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, Sarria, etc. Also, this means not arriving on Friday or Saturday, so you can find lodging. You alter your daily distances to keep the PIP in front of, or behind you at all times, to the extent possible. You must be flexible regarding rest days, daily distances and types of accommodation to create time and space for the python to work it's way...away from you.

3. Consider starting at the Somport Pass, walk the Camino Aragones until it flows into the Frances at Puente la Reina; then follow the Frances until Ponferrada. From there walk the final 258 Km to Santiago on the Invierno. This completely bypasses the Camino Frances from Ponferrada to Santiago, including the much complained about Sarria to Santiago segment. This route is 39 Km farther from Ponferrada, or about two days walking. But, consider what you avoid...

I hope this helps.

I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I walked CF Sept 15- Oct 16 and I found it crowded. There definitely was a daily bed rush, and no less than 50% of Pilgrims booked at least one day ahead. I got off Brierly stages and still found crowds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommend the Norte and the route from Arles, FR, which becomes the Aragones (where some join in going over Somport pass) into Spain.

I’d like to walk El Norte beginning of March....yes weather will be suboptimal......did you walk at all on El Norte in March? Thanks

Fellow Canadian, what date did you walk the Norte? I’m looking st March 2018 , weather will be suboptimal but I walked the CF March-April 2017 and it was bone dry. Met 1 young German girl wile on my way to Fisterra who walked El Norte same time as me the Frances and she said it was pretty lonely initially. Thanks for any advice (boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners, etc)

Fellow Canadian, what date did you walk the Norte? I’m looking st March 2018 , weather will be suboptimal but I walked the CF March-April 2017 and it was bone dry. Met 1 young German girl wile on my way to Fisterra who walked El Norte same time as me the Frances and she said it was pretty lonely initially. Thanks for any advice (boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners, etc)
@Colette I understand from people that did the CF initially, that they found it very empty compared to the CF - a very different experience. I had the joy of doing CNorte as my first Camino, with no expectations or experience to compare it to. It is its own thing. I did it from August 24 to October 8th ish. The number of pilgrims varied, and the type of pilgrim also changed . At the end of summer, there were lots of people doing two week stages over multiple years. They were often more vacation oriented. I would think that in the Spring, you wouldn't have the vacation oriented pilgrims, so it would be quite a bit emptier. Towards the end, I met more people that were walking for four or more weeks.

There were days that I wouldn't encounter many pilgrims while walking, but I can't remember a day where I didn't meet any. Albergues varied in terms of occupancy - I was the only pilgrim or only one of two at a couple of places. Arzua was a shock and a half!

Expect wet weather, closer to Vancouver :) Drizzle, grey. Possibly highly changeable (I watched a rain storm approach and hit in Cantabria - went from no rain to Montreal Waterfall in 30 seconds).

I am hesitant to give recommendations for foot wear - you know what your feet need for support, and choose footwear assuming 80% paved surfaces, with 15% well graded gravel roads, and 5% mud. Proportions between gravel and mud may vary ;). I had trail runners which were a good compromise between cushion, durability and support for me, but in retrospect I might err on the side of cushion next time round. Ankle support would have been a better choice for my feet but I couldn't find a pair with enough cushioning.

You will want a stick or pole of some sort in Asturias (MUD). You may want hiking poles for all the upping and downing - I wish I'd had a set. Would have been easier on the knees.

I’d like to walk El Norte beginning of March....yes weather will be suboptimal......did you walk at all on El Norte in March? Thanks
No, we walked the Norte starting in mid-May and more of it in June.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am back on Madrid route at present. I walked 10 days in May and met 6 other pilgrims, five of whom were a group. I've met no one today between Puente Duero and Peñaflor de Hornija. Albergue to myself yesterday and today. The infrastructure is very good and the waymarking perfect. Highly recommended - but please don't come in the next week;):):p.

Yes, I have just been walking the CF in November. Not many people, but fewer places to stay, and the weather can be quite chilling!susu60

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is not so much a response as a question. My wife and I have walked the Frances , Portuguese , Finisterra , Muxia, and the Primitivo . We enjoyed every one for different reasons. . The only common thread was that the people you meet are spectacular . We met an older couple on the Norte last summer from Slovenia . They told us of a Camino in their country that is about 600 km long. There was a substantial language barrier I have to say , but we are interested to see if any one has walked a Camino in Slovenia . The online research I have down shows the scallop shell markings. What I am mostly interested in is a list of hostels along the route or some type of itinerary. I was told the trIl is well supported by hostels but have had some difficulty confirming it.
Thank you all. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It very well could be. Is it supported by hostels oblong the way similar to the more traditional Caminos . If so is there a guide book. I see several hiking books on the market. Do they list albergues ???

I'm not sure about your questions. Probably somebody else on here knows a lot more. Try looking at this conversation. Opening the link in my post above in Chrome and using auto-translate makes it easer to find the tracks, etc... The links to maps and GPX files for a total of 692 km are shown.

Also, there is a page about Mary's Pilgrimage route in Slovenia (409 km) here and here.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Ive looked at the Slovenian Jakob’s Camino also because I have traveled through Slovenia every summer for the past 20 years on route to Istrian Croatia. It’s a tiny but beautiful country. While in Croatia I camp alongside many Slovenians. Their English is very good and because it’s such a small country they are very hospitable. There is a multi-language link to hostels: http://www.youth-hostel.si/anglesko/hostels.asp and the link offered above is valuable. I plan to walk this Camino in 2019 from the Austrian border to the Adriatic Sea. Good luck.

Ive looked at the Slovenian Jakob’s Camino also because I have traveled through Slovenia every summer for the past 20 years on route to Istrian Croatia. It’s a tiny but beautiful country. While in Croatia I camp alongside many Slovenians. Their English is very good and because it’s such a small country they are very hospitable. There is a multi-language link to hostels: http://www.youth-hostel.si/anglesko/hostels.asp and the link offered above is valuable. I plan to walk this Camino in 2019 from the Austrian border to the Adriatic Sea. Good luck.
Hi. I am from Slovenia and last March I walked a "Gorenjska" branch of Slovenian Jacob's way. It's truly amazing and wonderful. Here you can see my photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...526.1073741870.1224625050&type=1&l=42cfd5b072 I was sleeping in monastaries three times, at apartma in Kranjska gora and in pension at Monte Lussari. Monte Lussari is one of the most special places I've been!

Could it possibly be this route: JACOBOVA POT (part of the longer Ruta Jacobea)? The Slovenia part of the track is here.
Hi, I am from Slovenia and yes, that's Jacobs's way in our country. I walked a "Gorenjska" branch of Slovenian Jacob's way last March. It's truly amazing and wonderful. Here you can see my photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...526.1073741870.1224625050&type=1&l=42cfd5b072 Monte Lussari is one of the most special places I've been!

Having walked between Lisbon and Santiago I'd say that the Lisbon to Porto stretch is pretty well maked now and has albergues almost everywhere. There is even a new albergue being open in Lisbon recently from what I've heard. The route is not busy yet but getting popular. Even out of season (I walked at the end of Oct) there were between 2 and 7 people on the road on the same day, more from Coimbra. I am also looking into CPI - Caminho Portugues Central from Viseu and surprised to see that it has many albergues on the way to Santiago. Seems to be a beautuful and hilly but slightly solitary way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back