• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for a pilgrim-focussed starting hostel in Lisbon?

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
So I've decided to bite the bullet and walk the whole of the Portuguese camino, starting 29th May.

I'm looking for a hostel to start at where there will be a chance of meeting other pilgrims. Looking on Gronze and I'm only seeing private ones.

Can anyone recommend a pilgrim-focussed hostel in Lisbon to start at? TIA!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well I’m starting my pilgrimage next week and I’ve chosen the mulberry Tree Lisbon Hostel as my starting and resting point for two days being traveling from Canada. It’s centrally located, 8 km from the airport and close to the cathedral to get your credential

I think Brierley lists a couple of places, which may be the place pilgrims gravitate towards. Lots of people starting in Lisbon stay in youth hostels like the one suggested above. There are TONS of tourists in Lisbon, and quite a huge number of youth hostels, so I think the odds of meeting peregrinos in one chosen randomly are kind of low. But I could be wrong.

If you prefer a pensión type place over a youth hostel, one that is well-located is the Pensao da Prata. Family run, simple, reported clean. I don’t think they have a website, but you can book them on lots of travel websites. And the Paço Real snack bar diagonally across the street has very good home cooked food, including their own pasteis de nata, and they have a very nice stamp for the credencial. It’s of a sardine, which is sort of Lisbon’s unofficial insignia.

I think the best place to meet up with peregrinos is to walk the first day from the cathedral to the albergue in Alpriate. It’s about 21 km, I think, in a tiny village with a bar that makes good cheap food for peregrinos. The albergue is run by the ViaLusitana, the Lisbon Amigos Association. Generally gets very good reports, but there was a little dust-up reported here a few weeks ago.

I was just in Lisbon (not for walking) and got my credencial for my upcoming camino at the cathedral. It is the new one pictured in an earlier thread and available for 2 € at the desk to the right of the entrance. It has a very nice design.

Buen camino, let us know how your caminho goes for you! Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think Brierley lists a couple of places, which may be the place pilgrims gravitate towards. Lots of people starting in Lisbon stay in youth hostels like the one suggested above. There are TONS of tourists in Lisbon, and quite a huge number of youth hostels, so I think the odds of meeting peregrinos in one chosen randomly are kind of low. But I could be wrong.

If you prefer a pensión type place over a youth hostel, one that is well-located is the Pensao da Prata. Family run, simple, reported clean. I don’t think they have a website, but you can book them on lots of travel websites. And the Paço Real snack bar diagonally across the street has very good home cooked food, including their own pasteis de nata, and they have a very nice stamp for the credencial. It’s of a sardine, which is sort of Lisbon’s unofficial insignia.

I think the best place to meet up with peregrinos is to walk the first day from the cathedral to the albergue in Alpriate. It’s about 21 km, I think, in a tiny village with a bar that makes good cheap food for peregrinos. The albergue is run by the ViaLusitana, the Lisbon Amigos Association. Generally gets very good reports, but there was a little dust-up reported here a few weeks ago.

I was just in Lisbon (not for walking) and got my credencial for my upcoming camino at the cathedral. It is the new one pictured in an earlier thread and available for 2 € at the desk to the right of the entrance. It has a very nice design.

Buen camino, let us know how your caminho goes for you! Laurie
Thanks for all the info, Laurie! I'll definitely head to the cathedral in the morning and it looks like I'll meet pilgrims en route then.

@perigrina2000 sorry - one quick and obvious newbie question - with the albergue in Alpirate having only ten places is there much risk of it being full? Obviously it'll be a late start for me if my first stop is the Cathedral when it opens at 9am.

@perigrina2000 sorry - one quick and obvious newbie question - with the albergue in Alpirate having only ten places is there much risk of it being full? Obviously it'll be a late start for me if my first stop is the Cathedral when it opens at 9am.

Actually, I think there are a few more beds than that, and I know the hospitaleros do their best to help anyone who arrives if it is full. There may be a couple of beds available in a private home in town, and there are other options they can help with. But I would be surprised if it were full so early in the season.

I don’t like starting to walk that late, so if it were me, I’d look for a way to get my credential ahead of time. Anyway to get it the day before? Or order one ahead of time from Ivar, even though it would not be the pretty new Portuguese credential.

Bom caminho! Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don’t like starting to walk that late, so if it were me, I’d look for a way to get my credential ahead of time. Anyway to get it the day before? Or order one ahead of time from Ivar, even though it would not be the pretty new Portuguese credential.
Yes, I'd really like that nice red Portuguese one. I have a credencial ready bought in Leon but it's not half as pretty!

I walked two years ago. I believe that they have renovated the Albergue. I left very early from Lisbon on my first day. I started my Camino late September. There were more than 10 programs waiting by the time the Albergue opened. It was cozy and clean. Others were housed at the church and I think one other place. If you can go to the cathedral the day before get your credential then.

I'm looking for a hostel to start at where there will be a chance of meeting other pilgrims. Looking on Gronze and I'm only seeing private ones.
Can anyone recommend a pilgrim-focussed hostel in Lisbon to start at? TIA!
There was a thread here some time ago about an albergue in Lisbon. Not sure if and how it works, could be worth checking it out: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-albergue-in-lisbon.53635/ The list of albergues from Lisbon: http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/ Gronze and even Via Lusitana don't update their list fast enough. There is at list one new donativo, Casa Catolico in Branca, between Albergaria-a-Velha and Sao Joao da Madeira, that it not yet on their list yet, although it shoud be there by the end of May. I made a post about it here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...olico-lisbon-porto-stretch.62251/#post-745118 Bom Caminho! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was a thread here some time ago about an albergue in Lisbon. Not sure if and how it works, could be worth checking it out: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-albergue-in-lisbon.53635/
I tried to find information about it. I guess that it is no longer in operation. The organisation which offered the albergue (Movimento Caminhos Peregrinos) has a page which states: "FECHADO CERRADO FERME CLOSED Lisbon Pilgrim Airport Hostal"

I guess it's the same albergue that was discussed in that thread. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong. .

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back