• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for a two week section in Italy

After two weeks staying in the Piemonte taking day hikes with friends, I will have two weeks to do a mini Camino on my own. I do not have to make it to Rome, I’m just looking for wonderful days of walking and reasonable accommodations. It would be nice to meet some pilgrims too. Can anyone suggest the best two-week stretch of the VF in Italy? (Last week of May and first week of June.) Gracie! George

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey, it could be Cammino di Assisi, from Dovadola to Assisi. It takes 13 days. But I wouldn't call it mini as it passes the Apennines and the total elevation gain is about 12km as far as I remember :). I walked it last year in September. Amazing experience. San Francesco presence is almost real on the way. Old monasteries, La Verna especially where you need to stay for the night. Stunning views, fantastic people, gorgeous food, that camino is not spoiled at all. There are refugios on the way, most of the time with food .. You need to visit camminodiassisi.it where you find details how to sign up with the association taking care of that camino. It is highly recommended as you will be granted bed in refugios. You plan with them your departing date so that no more than 8 people start on the same day, therefore everybody have secured food and place to sleep. And of course you are given their passport which entitles you to use their refugios or other places with discount. They give you set of mini maps (in Italian though) but you can also download gps tracks from their website. Dead useful. Fantastic camino. I was only sorry I couldn't continue to Rome.

Last edited:
Hola
If you prefer to walk on the via Francigena then start in Tuscany and go all the way to Rome.
You will not regret it.
Buen Camino
Brandy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Depends on how far you feel you can comfortably walk each day. My suggestion would be to start from San Miniato and walk to Rome. Easily reached by train from Pisa or Florence. Beautiful varied scenery and some fascinating historic towns. Plus the satisfaction of arriving at the final destination.

Last edited:
Hola
If you prefer to walk on the via Francigena then start in Tuscany and go all the way to Rome.
You will not regret it.
Buen Camino
Brandy
Where do you suggest starting in Tuscany? I have walked the stretch from St Bernard Pass down into Italy and that is stunningly beautiful. I have also started at Lucca on another occasion - also superb, but do not know much about the VF before Lucca.

Hola
You will not regret it.
Buen Camino
Brandy
Thanks Brandy. We have 10 days to get to Rome from Tuscany. Any ideas on the most suitable place to start? Walking an average 15 to 20 kilometres per day? Thanks in advance. Ashleen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,
You could also walk from Pavia (near Milan) to Siena in 2 weeks, it's beautifull !! ;)

Thanks Brandy. We have 10 days to get to Rome from Tuscany. Any ideas on the most suitable place to start? Walking an average 15 to 20 kilometres per day? Thanks in advance. Ashleen
Dear Ashleen you better Chek the guide but 20 k per day I would say you have to start at Bolsena or Montefiascone.
Buon Camino
Brandy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey, it could be Cammino di Assisi, from Dovadola to Assisi. It takes 13 days. But I wouldn't call it mini as it passes the Apennines and the total elevation gain is about 12km as far as I remember :). I walked it last year in September. Amazing experience. San Francesco presence is almost real on the way. Old monasteries, La Verna especially where you need to stay for the night. Stunning views, fantastic people, gorgeous food, that camino is not spoiled at all. There are refugios on the way, most of the time with food .. You need to visit camminodiassisi.it where you find details how to sign up with the association taking care of that camino. It is highly recommended as you will be granted bed in refugios. You plan with them your departing date so that no more than 8 people start on the same day, therefore everybody have secured food and place to sleep. And of course you are given their passport which entitles you to use their refugios or other places with discount. They give you set of mini maps (in Italian though) but you can also download gps tracks from their website. Dead useful. Fantastic camino. I was only sorry I couldn't continue to Rome.

Wow—this sounds amazing. I’ll look into it more...thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A friend and I will be walking from Siena to Rome in June/July. We are going to do that over the course of 15 days, so I believe it averages out to about 19 kms per day. We are using a tour company, so if the information they have provided is correct, the distance should be about 285 kms in total. We will be taking it slowly and there will be some short days (my friend is getting over heart bypass surgery), but some relaxation time is OK with me. Good luck!

A friend and I will be walking from Siena to Rome in June/July. We are going to do that over the course of 15 days, so I believe it averages out to about 19 kms per day. We are using a tour company, so if the information they have provided is correct, the distance should be about 285 kms in total. We will be taking it slowly and there will be some short days (my friend is getting over heart bypass surgery), but some relaxation time is OK with me. Good luck!
Thanks! I think the pace sounds great. So many choices!

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back