• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for accomodation on Camino del Norte

MarieLauFlorin

Time of past OR future Camino
See list below
Hi fellow pilgrims
My three kids are dreaming of walking Camino del Norte with me starting in Muros de Nalón (the last 300 kms).
Do you have any recommendations for lovely places to stay? Nice hospitaleros, spiritual places, monasterios, donativos, places you remember? Please share the places not to miss:)
My “kids” are 14, 20 and 23 years old.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lovely route! Places I can think of:

Cudillero is a couple of km off the route, but is is worth the detour
Luarca is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Tapia de Casariego has a stunning albergue overlooking a cliff, but I am not sure it is open
In Ribadeo, take a detour and visit Playa de las Catedrales. Worth it!
Mondoñedo is a cute, cute place
The Albergue Xabarín, in Abadin, is excellent
Albergue O Xistral, shortly past Abadin is just paradise
The English CSJ confederation has an albergue in Miraz, probably a good choice
NEVER TO BE MISSED: albergue in the monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes

The route along the North coast has several branches, you might consider following the GR 9 instead of the Camino if you have some extra time, it goes closer to the coast, the cliff landscape is gorgeous.

Buen camino, familia!!!

Hi fellow pilgrims
My three kids are dreaming of walking Camino del Norte with me starting in Muros de Nalón (the last 300 kms).
Do you have any recommendations for lovely places to stay? Nice hospitaleros, spiritual places, monasterios, donativos, places you remember? Please share the places not to miss:)
Hi fellow pilgrims
Lucky you to be going with your 3 kids. I love it
There are some recommendations I have,
In Navia the San Roque Hostel is great. The hospitalerio is wonderful. It is super clean and very quiet. Depending on when you are going, I got to Navia about October 20 or so, the Camino is very, very quiet and I from Muros de Nalon on it got quieter and quieter. There were never more than 3 or 4 pilgrims with me at night until I got close to Santiago. Some nights I was alone.
Just like Amancio recommended and I second is Albergue Xabarín, in Abadin. I didn't stay there but I saw it and I have some friends that stayed there and loved it.
About 6K past is my favorite albergue on the Norte and again Armancio recommended it is O Xistral. Fantastic. It is in the middle of the forest. There were only 3 of us on that rainy night. The albergue is private and beautiful. The setting is beautiful and you can hear a pin drop. It has everything you need.
The Baamonde Pilgrim Hostel is a really interesting place but was really cold the night I was there. There really wasn't much of a choice and it was the end of the day. But I met some really nice people.
The Monestary in Sobrado is definitely a place to check out. I did not stay there because it was colder than in Baamonde and I wasn't in the mood to sleep in all my clothes again as I didn't have a sleeping bag. I stayed at Lecer Hostel and it is really a nice place. Super clean and friendly with everything you could need. The food was very good and they did sell some supplies also. I had one of the best nights on any camino. Nice living room with a fireplace. We all had dinner together with the owners and well, just wonderful.
Don't miss it.
Buen Camino and my advice if you haven't already done it. Do the Norte again from Irun. It is a tough camino but spectacular when you are on the coast.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks SO much! From your recommendations I think we will walk these stages combining most of your tips.
  1. Muros de Nalón - Soto de Luiña 15,3 km (go see Cudillero on the way)
  2. Soto de Luiña - Queruás 24,4 km (try albergue Yalga)
  3. Queruás - Piñera 27,1 (Luarca after 12 km charming)
  4. Piñera - Tapia de Casariego 27,3 km
  5. Tapia de Casariego - Villamartín Grande 31,6 km (Ribadeo cathedral beach worth a detour)
  6. Villamartín Grande - Maariz 20,8 km
  7. Maariz - As Paredes Castromaior 19,5 km (O Xistral good albergue)
  8. As Paredes Castromaior - Baamonde 34,6 km
  9. Baamonde - Miraz 14,9 km (albergue San Martín CSJ)
  10. Miraz - Sobrado dos Monxes (monasterio albergue not to miss or Lecer hostel) 25,6 km
  11. Sobrado dos Monxes - Salceda 25,2 km
  12. Salceda - Santiago 27,6 km

Thanks again! Marie

I haven't done the Norte yet however I did do the Francis with my 35 year old son in Sept 2018. He did the whole way and blossomed. We often talk about that 5 weeks of walking together and all the people we met.
I recommend "Efren Gonzales" daily vlogs with drone shots of the norte. He shows a lot of albergues visually too.
He's also shows the Francis, & Francengenia Caminos on his chanel. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.