• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for Accomodations in Porto

Hope0925

Jane
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May/June 2016, from SJPdP.
So great to be back on the forum! I’m doing my second Camino (Porto-Santiago-Finisterre-Santiago), leaving April 30. I’ll be arriving in Porto April 25 because I’ve heard it’s beautiful and I’d like to explore a bit. Looking for reasonable accommodation close to the trail for myself for five nights, with two more joining me the last night. Any help would be much appreciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will get many other suggestions, but here is the one I stayed in: Grande Hotel de Paris. We got a very good price, not via booking.com. It is so quaint but perfectly adequate. Buffet breakfast excellent. Buen camino!

Hotel Peninsular in Porto.
Stayed there few times.

Walking distance to cathedral, center of city, etc

Block from metro.

Find this hotel on web.

Many walkers stay there. Has breakfast.
Reasonable price for room.

Would suggest you make reservation as soon as possible.

Porto used to nice and quiet. No longer...very popular now with tourists.

If arriving via bus, ride metro to this hotel.

Not close to the trail. But few blocks from cathedral where get passport and first stamp. (Get PP at the office across from cathedral. Not in the cathedral)

Most ride metro/train a few stops out of Porto. Then start Camino.

The walk out of Porto is not the best. But great few metro stops out from center.

Hotel is in a great location to see (walking) Porto

All needs are close by

Don’t forget the wonderful sights in Porto. Including the book store

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd recommend Airbnb - 6 nights is a long time to be dependent on hotel breakfasts... For that period of time (or at least some of it) I'd rather have access to a kitchen, washing machine, and other creature comforts. Not sure whether you've used the site before, it's really simple, just make sure you limit your search to "entire place" (unless you want to share with a local). I stayed in a wonderful flat just across from the Ponte Luiz I bridge - very central and panoramic views over the Duoro and the Old Town. Think it was only about €40 per night.

I'd recommend Airbnb - 6 nights is a long time to be dependent on hotel breakfasts... For that period of time (or at least some of it) I'd rather have access to a kitchen, washing machine, and other creature comforts. Not sure whether you've used the site before, it's really simple, just make sure you limit your search to "entire place" (unless you want to share with a local). I stayed in a wonderful flat just across from the Ponte Luiz I bridge - very central and panoramic views over the Duoro and the Old Town. Think it was only about €40 per night.

Good post!
Good information.
Agree more than say three nights, your way makes life easier.

No matter where staying at in Porto, recommend getting a reservation early as possible.

Hotel Peninsular in Porto.
Stayed there few times.

Walking distance to cathedral, center of city, etc

Block from metro.

Find this hotel on web.

Many walkers stay there. Has breakfast.
Reasonable price for room.

Would suggest you make reservation as soon as possible.

Porto used to nice and quiet. No longer...very popular now with tourists.

If arriving via bus, ride metro to this hotel.

Not close to the trail. But few blocks from cathedral where get passport and first stamp. (Get PP at the office across from cathedral. Not in the cathedral)

Most ride metro/train a few stops out of Porto. Then start Camino.

The walk out of Porto is not the best. But great few metro stops out from center.

Hotel is in a great location to see (walking) Porto

All needs are close by

Don’t forget the wonderful sights in Porto. Including the book store
The bookstore is called Lello e Irmôes and is world famous for its Harry Potter atmosphere.
You have to queu up together with busloads of mostly Chinese, Japanese an Korean tourists among others and pay an entree fee. About 3€. If you get the chance to buy something, you'll get your fee back. Very interesting bookshop worthwhile to visit

From the Sé cathedral go down the stairs towards the Douro river and follow this to the end-river at your left all the time . Then arrive at the Atlantic ocean and keep the ocean at your left untill you arrive in Matosinhos. About 10 kms and a great walk .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So great to be back on the forum! I’m doing my second Camino (Porto-Santiago-Finisterre-Santiago), leaving April 30. I’ll be arriving in Porto April 25 because I’ve heard it’s beautiful and I’d like to explore a bit. Looking for reasonable accommodation close to the trail for myself for five nights, with two more joining me the last night. Any help would be much appreciated!

Just a head's up that April 25 is Portugal's Independence day. You may want to see what you can find out about closures, festas, etc...

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back