• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for albergue

Adi Sheinmel

Time of past OR future Camino
planning do the camino in september-october 2015
Hi

i will go from Leon to Santiago on October. Last year i did the part till Leon and I've learnt that one of the most important things is where you put your head at night.... I would love to get recommendations for good, clean, unique and nice albergues on that way (especially on the crowded places).
I have enough tome to go also "off track" for other experience and good albergue.
couldn't fine on the "search" so anything will help :)
thanks, Adi

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Albergue Casa de Jesús in Villar de Mazarife. The owners are some of the nicest people on the camino. Garden with a Viking ship. Old building with a courtyard. You can sleep on mattresses under cover but with a view to the sky. We got a private room for 5 euros each. One of the best pilgrim's meals I had. Decorated inside with fine graffiti. https://es-es.facebook.com/AlbergueDeJesus

Albergue de peregrinos de Manjarín, Manjarin between the Cruz de Ferro and Molinaseca. This is the place run by Tomas, the "Knight Templar." Very basic. Here is what Peg had to say (slightly edited):
They are very hospitable. They brought me a pan of cold water to soak my injured foot. They gave us soup and salad for lunch, wine, too, but we had already bought a beer and ate a sandwich. If only our Spanish had been better. They were serving soup. It was very good. This albergue is miminal, no running water, a hole in the floor for latrine (across the road), and just a mattress to sleep. Not any electricity either. There are 2 cats here which wanted in for the fish soup, and a nice large white dog [also other friendly dogs]. The view is to die for. Dinner is at 8, vespers is tomorrow at 7 which we are expected to go to, if we want our credentials back.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/4780940/?q=manjarin&t=xengallery_media&o=date

Seven kilometers past Sarria is a private albergue, Molino de Marzán, run by a young woman, Leda, who recently bought an old mill and surrounding property and converted it into a 16 bed albergue while retaining the mill equipment. The albergue is in a rural area and is very peaceful. The seperate kitchen/dining building is her winter home. She sells food there because she is so far out of town. Leda is a first rate painter and has some of her paintings hanging in the buildings. Her website is at http://www.molinomarzan.com/

Paloma y Lena just before Sarria. Lovely clean Albergue with small dormitories set around a grass area. Beautiful large dining room with delicious vegetarian meal. Chickens and children running around. Nice atmosphere.

I would love to get recommendations for good, clean, unique and nice albergues
I've had some second thoughts on my recommendations. I still recommend those albergues but I'm not sure that I should recommend them to you @Adi Sheinmel. I originally gave more weight to the "unique" part of your request. The rest has since made me think that you may be wanting something modern. Casa de Jesús is clean but a little run down. But Villar de Mazarife has 3 or 4 alberques and Casa de Jesús is one of the first you come across (the other first is across the street.) Have a look around and, if not to your liking, try one of the others. As Peg's description of Tomas' place in Manjarín should tell you, the place is primitive. I liked it as it helped me realize what the pilgrims of long ago experienced. Maybe try to get there for lunch. Tomas rings a bell to call passing pilgrims in. Stay if you like it. If you don't there is small problem. You have to go back 5 km or forward 7 to the closest albergues. Molino de Marzán you will like.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Paloma y Lena just before Sarria. Lovely clean Albergue with small dormitories set around a grass area. Beautiful large dining room with delicious vegetarian meal. Chickens and children running around. Nice atmosphere.
Lovely couple that run the place...it was like being in their home. Warm and welcoming, with art, and books and tabletop games! They cooked for us, and served the meal to us, and even bussed the tables. Remarkable!!

Albergue Verde in Hospital de Obrigo. Free yoga practice and wonderful vegan dinner cooked from vegetables from their own organic garden.

As an artist, I can't speak fondly enough about Albergue San Miguel in Hospital De Orbigo. Arturo Garcia and his charming wife Piera, walked the Camino themselves and loved the experience so much, they bought an Alburgue. They are dedicated and knowledgable art lovers (among other things), having taken numerous art history courses and attending art events and seminars all over the world. Another warm and welcoming environment full of art and books.Though not artists themselves, they provide a warm and creative environment to banish fatigue and stimulate the senses...not the least of which is the sense of humor.

Those who wish, artists and untapped artists alike, are invited to sit at an easel and are provided with canvas, paint and brushes with which to share their Camino reflections. A nice way to unwind!

I owe them one!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Albergue Verde in Hospital de Obrigo. Free yoga practice and wonderful vegan dinner cooked from vegetables from their own organic garden.
Yes, Albergue Verde was another favourite of mine! One and half hours yoga before dinner was very relaxing!! We were there on the Day of the Sushi, so that is what we had for our dinner. The hospitaleros spent all afternoon making it for us! There was also a good selection of teas with different types of milk on offer on arrival, and yes, they grow their own vegetables. Lovely garden with hammocks and swinging seat.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back