• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

recommendations for an easy/moderate 7-day section

bostonYoga1

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2018. cycle a section of frances or coastal
hello. I am going to cycle a small section of the camino for a week in october.

i am looking for recommendations for which section (of any camino) to cycle?

my priorities/preferences are:
  • "easy/moderate" terrain that can be done on a hybrid or trekking bike. i am not comfortable with technical mountain biking
  • open to any camino (frances, coastal, ingles, etc)
  • i dont necessarily need to end in santiago
  • planning to pre-book lodging at hotels etc (rather than albergues)
  • scenery. interesting towns to spend the nights in.
many thanks for any suggestions you might have. much gratitude

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pamplona to Logrono or Najera.

Beautiful landscapes, wonderful towns, easy stages - especially on bicycle.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You may see what I have done, written here, and decide whether it is easy enough for you.

Pamplona to Logrono or Najera.
Beautiful landscapes, wonderful towns, easy stages - especially on bicycle.

Well as one who has both cycled and walked these stages I would "never" describe them as "easy/moderate" terrain.
Pamplona to Estella (two days or one long one depending upon bike fitness and starting time). Well for a start the climb up to Alto del Perdon is a 350 metre climb and if its crowded you are going to have to walk. Coming down the other side is almost as much fun. I did not ride it, however I walked in May 2017 and the western side is even steeper with lots more loose gravel. There was a video posted here 4 o so years back.
Coming out of Puente la Reina there is a hill that just goes on and on and on. It might only be a 200/230 metre climb but it is not "fun". After Cirauqui you really do need to give the Camino a miss and take the N-111. The descent and climb up from the ancient Roman bridge is tough enough on foot; it nearly killed me on the bike in 2015. From Estella in 2015 I gave the Camino a complete miss and followed the road. When I walked it in 2017 I knew "I" had made the right decision. Even from Los Acros to Viana there are sections that are definitely not bike friendly and even more so bringing a bike on the section from Torres del Rio to Viana will (I believe) incur the wroth of the walking pilgrims. After Viana I did follow the walking track to Najera and that is a section I would recommend followed by Najera to Santo Domingo.
Yes I am sure there are cyclist who will to totally disagree with my observations, but their skills and experience may be significantly greater than my own. So to conclude - to each his onw!!??

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back