• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for “not to be missed” & “ok to skip”

In response to your original query I would definitely undertake the Zarautz to Deba section, but take the detour through the Basque Coast Geopark, famous for its geological Flysch deposits. One of the most stunning coastal scenes I have encountered. It's a long day with some tough ascents so take plenty of water. Buen Camino.
Thank you for the recommendation, it sounds like a "not to be missed"! I'm putting it on my list :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
you can skip walk out of Santander and Bilbao
Agree with the first
Walk out along the river when leaving Bilbao is relaxing and there is a very good hotel in Portugalate called
The Hanging Bridge Boutique Hotel

It seems I've offended a good number of pilgims with my question, unintentionally. I actually am not thinking of skipping entire stages, but rather small bits like industrialized, busy inner city parts that I have heard from other posters are not very interesting or relaxing (like taking a taxi or train a short distance to a nicer spot when walking it would mean walking down roads, past factories or beside heavy traffic). I'm definitely into the full experience of doing a camino, with varied experiences both in nature and in beautiful cities and I plan to spend every day walking pretty much the entire day. But as someone who frequently has to get my walking in around urban areas, I know that I prefer to skip that part if possible to go towards beautiful nature or quaint towns like Santillana del Mar or Oviedo. I also like to occasionally go off the beaten path to explore little things that catch my interest, before returning to the main route. In other words, I'm never going to be that person that has my entire route from Point A to Point B mapped out, with how many Km I have to walk every day continuously to meet that goal. It's just too rigid for me, and I know that my enjoyment of the Camino will come with being flexible. Unfortunately, the only part that isn't flexible is my time off, so I have to make the most of the days I do have which led me to ask this question. If I don't make it all the way to Santiago, that's ok because it just means I'll come back some other time to finish :) What is important to me is the experience, as it is to all of you. It's just how we define it that is a individual to each of us.
We took a train in Bilbao from downtown to Portugalete - it is recommended to take the subway to the Areeta station so you cross over the river by Portugalete. The 'bridge' is unique and a great start to a day's walk. Also, do not miss the escalators in Portugalete - to take you up the hill to the top, my friend walked up a parallel road and missed this unique feature!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Recommended by whom?
I enjoyed the walk from Bilbao to Portugalete - probably because I had good company to walk with that day.
The Areeta Station is recommended, if you take the train, so you can take the bridge across to Portugalete.

Recommended by whom?
I enjoyed the walk from Bilbao to Portugalete - probably because I had good company to walk with that day.
Hey, is the route clear from Bilbao centre? I think I’ll walk the river route tomorrow. Also how long do you expect it’ll take?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey, is the route clear from Bilbao centre? I think I’ll walk the river route tomorrow. Also how long do you expect it’ll take?
I walked from Lezama to Portugalete.
I just checked my timeline for that day on Google Maps. I stopped at the Decathlon in Bilbao around 10:00, then I went somewhere for breakfast in the old town before leaving the city. I reached my pensión in Portugalete just after 2 pm, and that included a stop for lunch.

Screenshot_20230403_094355_Maps.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back