• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for place to stay in A Coruna

marigold

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009) Sarria - Santiago; (2011) SJPP - Navarette; (2012) Logrono - Santiago;( 2013) Leon - Santiago - Finesterre
Hi, has anyone been on the Ingles recently? Can you recommend good, cheap places to stay if the albergues are full. I've seen some posts but they are a couple of years old.
I think I'll walk from A Coruna rather than from Ferrol, so I'd like to spend the first night there before starting out. Any advice, tips, recommendations gratefully received!
I'm thinking of going in August - do you think I'm mad? Will it be too crowded and too hot?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Coruna itself, Hostal Alboran is pretty well located for the start of the Ingles (a few 100 m away). The airport bus also stops right by it. I don't know what sort of price you are looking for but it is £24 for a single room in August at the moment (not sure if that is the pre-Brexit price ;)).
The Ingles from Coruna is not long enough to qualify for the Compostela if that is important to you.

I just came back from the Ingles today but on the Ferrol arm. I stayed in hotels as I was bringing a group with me but understand from others that the Albergues were pretty full. There were lots of people on the trail each day but it didn't feel busy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Mig,
Thanks so much for replying! The Alboran sounds great and I have just emailed them.
I decided to go end of August/beginning of September so maybe there won't be so many people then ;)
I don't mind about the Compostela, although thanks for mentioning it.
Are there any other cheap pensions that you would recommend along the way and in Santiago?
I am planning to walk to Finesterre too.
Brexit. Yes, what a mess! It's going to be expensive to buy euros.:(

PR O Meson Novo in Meson Novo is a very lovely place to stop. The family that run it are charming, the rooms large and it us relatively cheap. How far you intend to walk each day will determine what accommodation is an option.
I uploaded a file in this thread which will open in Google Earth (if you have it installed) and indicates the route and marks many hotels and hostals on and near the route with links to their websites.

Hi @marigold, I walked from A Coruna last September. Here's my account of where I stayed etc. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-from-a-coruña.36507/ Unfortunately I can't help you with places to stay in A Coruna as I started walking as soon as I arrived there. As regards the crowds, I didn't meet any other pilgrims between A Coruna and Bruma. It's likely to be busier after that, but probably still much quieter than the Camino Frances.

The Johnny Walker/CSJ is a great resource and lists lots of places to stay. If you don't already have it, you can download it here: http://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates/ for a donation. I found the directions to be very good.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
PR O Meson Novo in Meson Novo is a very lovely place to stop. The family that run it are charming, the rooms large and it us relatively cheap. How far you intend to walk each day will determine what accommodation is an option.
I uploaded a file in this thread which will open in Google Earth (if you have it installed) and indicates the route and marks many hotels and hostals on and near the route with links to their websites.

Hi Mig,
Your file sounds amazing, but I can't open it!
I've had a look at some other threads, and also Johnny Walker's new guide, so I think I'll be ok :cool:
Thanks so much x

Ok, leave it with me. I'll try and supply in a different format if I can. Thanks for letting me know.

Oh thanks, that is very kind. It's probably just me - I'm not too good on technology.

I have another problem today - the hostal Alboran has asked me to send 30 euros as a booking fee. The bank says they will charge me £25 to send it, and that I shouldn't give my bank details in an email for them to take it.
It's the first time I've been asked to do this - usually they book it for you on trust. But as I said, I haven't been on the Camino since 2012 - maybe things have changed.
I usually stay in the municipales but this time I planned to stay in some privates and hostales as well, and I'd prefer to deal with small family places rather than booking through agencies.
What do you think? Is it normal these days to have to send money up front?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@marigold It's not uncommon for hotels to request a deposit in advance when you book directly with them. However, Hostal Alboran is on booking.com, from which you can book without prepaying at all. And with cancellation up until a couple of days before arrival.

Direct link to their booking.com listing here. I really like the location of Alboran ... it's just down the street from my favorite place for churros con chocolate - Bonilla a la Vista!!

Regarding Mig's map, I found that it loaded quickly and easily to the "maps.me" app on my iphone. I can't get it to 'stick' in my google maps app, but it works like a charm with maps.me.

Oh thanks, that is very kind. It's probably just me - I'm not too good on technology.

I have another problem today - the hostal Alboran has asked me to send 30 euros as a booking fee. The bank says they will charge me £25 to send it, and that I shouldn't give my bank details in an email for them to take it.
It's the first time I've been asked to do this - usually they book it for you on trust. But as I said, I haven't been on the Camino since 2012 - maybe things have changed.
I usually stay in the municipales but this time I planned to stay in some privates and hostales as well, and I'd prefer to deal with small family places rather than booking through agencies.
What do you think? Is it normal these days to have to send money up front?
Hi. Yes booking.com is your best bet. It is hard for the hotel as Booking take a commission off the cost but you don't really want to pay a premium by paying through the bank.
I just tried to download my file to my android phone and it just stalled downloading so there is some sort of issue. As I say, I'll try and work out an alternative method.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @marigold, I walked from A Coruna last September. Here's my account of where I stayed etc. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-from-a-coruña.36507/ Unfortunately I can't help you with places to stay in A Coruna as I started walking as soon as I arrived there. As regards the crowds, I didn't meet any other pilgrims between A Coruna and Bruma. It's likely to be busier after that, but probably still much quieter than the Camino Frances.

The Johnny Walker/CSJ is a great resource and lists lots of places to stay. If you don't already have it, you can download it here: http://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates/ for a donation. I found the directions to be very good.

Buen Camino!
Hi Marigold, try this link and see if it fares any better?

Hi Mig, Thanks a million! That works. It is very helpful to see everything in one place.
I'm going to take it very slowly as I'm not as fit as I was!
I'm going to walk to Finesterre/Muxia too I hope. Any tips/recommendations?
Thanks again x

@marigold It's not uncommon for hotels to request a deposit in advance when you book directly with them. However, Hostal Alboran is on booking.com, from which you can book without prepaying at all. And with cancellation up until a couple of days before arrival.

Direct link to their booking.com listing here. I really like the location of Alboran ... it's just down the street from my favorite place for churros con chocolate - Bonilla a la Vista!!

Regarding Mig's map, I found that it loaded quickly and easily to the "maps.me" app on my iphone. I can't get it to 'stick' in my google maps app, but it works like a charm with maps.me.

Hi Nuala, Thanks for your tips and info! I will have to get up to speed with technology. I only have a very simple smart phone and I usually rely on paper.
I read your blog about the Muxia walk. Very fast! I'm going to take it very slow, at least to start with as I'm not as fit as I was.
Any favourite places you want to tell me about? I walked to Finesterre in 2012 but I haven't been to Muxia.

Hi Nuala, Thanks for your tips and info! I will have to get up to speed with technology. I only have a very simple smart phone and I usually rely on paper.
I read your blog about the Muxia walk. Very fast! I'm going to take it very slow, at least to start with as I'm not as fit as I was.
Any favourite places you want to tell me about? I walked to Finesterre in 2012 but I haven't been to Muxia.

Hi @marigold, I crammed a lot of walking into a short window and the Ingles was an 'add-on' to Muxia, which was my main focus. I had given myself permission to take a bus for part of the Ingles if it proved too much, but it was OK as the terrain between Meson do Vento and Santiago wasn't too challenging. However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend such a long stage, especially in torrential rain! I was pretty tired when I arrived and I really didn't enjoy the final few kms, which is uninspiring at the best of times.

As regards accommodation on the Ingles, I second @miguel_gp's recommendation for O Meson Novo. I had such a good sleep there. From what I can recall, they charge per person rather than per room, so it was pretty cheap too. I was also happy with Hotel Santa Clara in Santiago. The room was tiny, but the people were so lovely and welcoming.

I remember that the first part of the walk out of A Coruna was through city streets/suburbs - a few kms that some might choose to avoid (for 'aesthetic' rather than safety reasons). However, I like to see both the attractive and unattractive sides of a city and to experience the gradual changes in landscape. After the city streets, there's a nice riverside park with lots benches. If you scroll down towards the bottom of this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...questions-el-camino-ingles.38201/#post-375043 you'll see @miguel_gp 's excellent map that shows the route out of A Coruna.

Johnny Walker's guide mentions a Panaderia somewhere after Sigras - it's a good idea to stop there as there isn't anywhere else for a long time. It's spotlessly clean and really cheap. I had a snack and bought a piece of empanada to eat later. It's probably a good idea to stop anywhere that's open on the Ingles as the next place might be closed. And if it's raining, the bus stop/shelters are also good places to take a break.

I'm always cautious about mentioning favourite places as they are influenced by so many things. But Muxia is without a doubt one of my all time favourite places. I especially enjoyed the walk in to Muxia, sitting and paddling on the beach, swimming near the harbour and visiting the little church on the rocks. I would also enthusiastically recommend the Bela Muxia albergue. I had a private room, but the dorms are great too.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Nuala, your thread to mig's maps worked on my kindle. Very clever! I'm becoming obsessed again!

Hi Marigold, try this link and see if it fares any better?
Hi Mig,
I've got another question for you! If I get really tired or injured, are there points where I could pick up a bus?
I'm thinking about the first day from A Coruna to the albergue in Sergude, and also from Sigueiro to Santiago. I will be walking from Ordes and I think it will be a bit far for me to walk all the way to Santiago. Can I pick up a bus half way from Sigueiro?
I have been looking at your lovely map, but I can't see the Sergude albergue!
Thanks x

HI Marigold, Mig will probably give you a better answer on this - but from what I remember, there were many options to options to take a bus.

Knowing that I could take a bus actually helped me to walk from Bruma to Santiago. There was a bus stop near O Meson Novo and I knew that a bus stopped there at 7.30am. I thought about taking this bus some or all of the way to Sigueiro, but I didn't need to - partly because I knew I could catch a bus at 2.30pm from Sigueiro to Santiago if I was too tired or too sore. I didn't need that one either, but it was reassuring to know it was there. On the final few kms to Santiago, I sheltered from the rain in quite a few bus stops - so there are bus options there too.

Monbus.es serves this route - if you search for specific sections of the route (e.g. Sigueira to S de C), you'll see the relevant timetables and all of the stops.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I wasn't aware of the Albergue at Sergude until recently but now know where it is located. It is right next to the Camino route. On my phone at the moment but I'll post a map to it next time I use my laptop.
With regards buses, the Monbus service travels the main road between Coruna and Santiago. You are walking a few km to the left of this most of the way so would need to come off route to access the bus stop. You can definitely bus from Sigueiro to Santiago, the bus stop is right in the centre of town fairly near where the Camino route pops out on to the main road. Be aware that there is still a 15-20 walk from Bus Station in Santiago to the Cathedral Square.

Are you staying the Albergue at Bruma or the Pension in Meson do Novo? If the Pension, then the owner does run a pick up/drop off service if staying there. It is usually for those breaking their day at Casa Julia on the Ferrol route but I'm sure he would be able to do the same on the Coruna leg as long as it wasn't too far away.

Are you staying the Albergue at Bruma or the Pension in Meson do Novo? If the Pension, then the owner does run a pick up/drop off service if staying there. It is usually for those breaking their day at Casa Julia on the Ferrol route but I'm sure he would be able to do the same on the Coruna leg as long as it wasn't too far away.
I'm staying at the Meson do Novo. Where do you think he would pick me up from?
Thanks for your replies!

HI Marigold, Mig will probably give you a better answer on this - but from what I remember, there were many options to options to take a bus.

Knowing that I could take a bus actually helped me to walk from Bruma to Santiago. There was a bus stop near O Meson Novo and I knew that a bus stopped there at 7.30am. I thought about taking this bus some or all of the way to Sigueiro, but I didn't need to - partly because I knew I could catch a bus at 2.30pm from Sigueiro to Santiago if I was too tired or too sore. I didn't need that one either, but it was reassuring to know it was there. On the final few kms to Santiago, I sheltered from the rain in quite a few bus stops - so there are bus options there too.

Monbus.es serves this route - if you search for specific sections of the route (e.g. Sigueira to S de C), you'll see the relevant timetables and all of the stops.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Nuala. I did have a look at the Monbus site but it's not very helpful unless you know where the places are in relation to the camino route (apart from the big places like Sigeira). I don't want to be a wimp and take the bus all the way from Sigueira, but maybe from the outskirts of Santiago, so it's good to know that you found some bus stops there. x

Hola Marigold - please make sure you are using the 2016 v1 edition of the guide. It is available in the resources section of this forum.

I understand your anxiety but if you take your time each day I'm sure you will be OK. Take the telephone number of the O meson novo with you. Since you are booked there Antonio will be pleased to come and pick you up.

There are buses into the city from the outskirts - you will notice in the guide after the Café Bar Polígono that you pass a large cemetery - opposite the gate there is the bus stop. However if you wish the Café Bar Polígono will be happy to call you a taxi. I hope this helps.

Buen Camino

John

Hi Mig,
I've got another question for you! If I get really tired or injured, are there points where I could pick up a bus?
I'm thinking about the first day from A Coruna to the albergue in Sergude, and also from Sigueiro to Santiago. I will be walking from Ordes and I think it will be a bit far for me to walk all the way to Santiago. Can I pick up a bus half way from Sigueiro?
I have been looking at your lovely map, but I can't see the Sergude albergue! Thanks x
The Albergue at Sergude has now been added to the map.

As Johnnie says, Antonio will pick you up but it may be worthwhile emailing the Pension beforehand just to let him know that is what you intend to do and maybe an idea of where you want to be picked up from so there is no confusion on the day.

I'll send you a PM.

Our arrangement was made with Antonio before hand in both 2011 and 2015. He asked us to phone when we reached Casa Julia (our pick-up/return point). We stayed 3 nights in 2011 and he also did a pick -up/return from Calle de Poulo. Last year we stayed 2 nights and then went to Ordes by taxi from Calle de Poulo and return next day.
Antonio and his father Don Antonio speak some English so making an arrangement by email or phone is not difficult

Our arrangement was made with Antonio before hand in both 2011 and 2015. He asked us to phone when we reached Casa Julia (our pick-up/return point). We stayed 3 nights in 2011 and he also did a pick -up/return from Calle de Poulo. Last year we stayed 2 nights and then went to Ordes by taxi from Calle de Poulo and return next day.
Antonio and his father Don Antonio speak some English so making an arrangement by email or phone is not difficult

Hi Valeria, thanks for your post. Could you tell me if these pick up points are on the Ferrol route or the A Coruna route. I'll be on the A Coruna route so will need to think of a place for him to pick me up on there. Getting confused!
Thanks

I think that if you contact Antonio and make an arrangement he may well be happy to pick you up on the A Coruna route. You would just need to decide a place with him direct as he will know where would work. Also on this route the bus comes through Meson do Vento, where Meson Novo is situated, so he might be able to advise you about that as an alternative. Our pick up was on the Ferrol route and we had arranged it by email and then confirmed by phone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back