• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for Porto-Santiago-Finisterre

SethCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Jun 2023: Vía de la Plata (Ourense-Santiago-Muxía)
Hi, Fellow Pilgrims!

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to embark on this journey. Walking the Camino has been a goal of mine since I first learned about it in 2010 and I'll be walking the Porto-Santiago-Finisterre route in September 2018. I have some questions for veterans:

1. My original plan was to walk Coimbra-Porto-Santiago via the Portuguese Central Way. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems that Santiago-Finisterre is also a popular, and very beautiful, route. I only have three weeks give or take and I'm looking to do the most beautiful route.I understand this may come down to preference, but between the two options what would you suggest?

• Coimbra --> Porto --> Santiago (~18 days, plus three rest days)
  • Porto --> Santiago --> Finisterre (~18 days, plus three rest days)
2. I'd like to incorporate 2-3 "rest" days into the mix. I was thinking about one in Valença/Tui, another in Santiago, and a "final" rest day in Finisterre. In terms of accommodations and accessible/nearby beaches, would you suggest continuing on to Muxía instead?

3. I'll be in Galicia in the third and fourth week of September. Is this typically a rainy time? I'm trying to decide whether to bring runners (high quality runners, of course) that are lighter and cooler, OR opt for something more water-resistant (i.e., hiking shoes.)

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

Bom Caminho,
Seth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear Seth

First of all, congratulations on taking the first step on this journey! :)

1) As it is your First Camino, the route out of Porto is better marked and has more options of accomodation than out of Coimbra, so maybe you could start there just not to overload yourself with unnecessary worries right in the begining? I mean, it is perfectly doable out of Coimbra (and the city is quite amazing), but the Cathedral of Sé in Porto is a beautiful and very known starting point, so it could be easier and you will see some pilgrims to share your adventure.

That said, I don´t know what is your walking rhythm - I did Porto to Santiago in 10 days, in a tranquil (for me) 20-25km per day.

2) I spent 3 days in Porto adjusting to jetlag (I came from Australia) and enjoying the amazing istory, food and Port wine of the place. Afterwards, I spent 2 days in Santiago. I did not feel like I needed rest days in the middle, as I enjoyed the afternoons in the cities. If i was going to stop somewhere, it would probably be in the border Valença/Tui or in Caldas de Reis, where they had spas (but it would demand extra $$$). I have not done the Finisterre Muxia trail yet, so i can´t advice on that.

3) I'm on the team that defends trail runners all the way. I wore Mizunos, because they fit me well. I think that even when they got wet, because they were so breathable, they drid quickly from one day to another - specially if left near a window or heater in cheap private accomodations...

Also, the Portuguese camino has A LOT (LOT LOT LOT LOT) of stony paths, so shoes that are well cushioned inside and very comfortable will help a lot not to let your feet hurt.
Check @davebugg 's input on this thread (second post). He tests gear and has very good advice about it.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lecting-boots-for-our-walk.56181/#post-632393

Boots and hiking shoes make my feet really sweaty and more blister-prone. But each person is different, if you have the chance or trying different footwear before the camino, better for you.

I hope that helps. Do not miss the opportunity to try Port wine and Francesinha in Porto, Pimientos in Padron and Caldo Galego at night to refill your energies :)

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Seth!
I am in the same situation...have about three weeks to walk and will be doing the Portugués. This is my fourth Camino pilgrimage and will be walking with my sister and our friend. We will walk Porto to Santiago (probably mostly coastal) and then after a day rest, on to Fisterra and Muxia, Muxia is magical and very special. Will be my third visit and can't wait. September 10 through October 3. Maybe we will meet along the Way. Ultreia peregrino!
elle

P.S. As a first time peregrino, this forum is invaluable to you for preparation. No need to over plan, but this forum has been a fantastic resource! Muchas gracias!!!
elle

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Seth!
I am in the same situation...have about three weeks to walk and will be doing the Portugués. This is my fourth Camino pilgrimage and will be walking with my sister and our friend. We will walk Porto to Santiago (probably mostly coastal) and then after a day rest, on to Fisterra and Muxia, Muxia is magical and very special. Will be my third visit and can't wait. September 10 through October 3. Maybe we will meet along the Way. Ultreia peregrino!
elle
Please dont take the coastal way, iknow that is very beautiful way, but the central way is somenthing amazing and more special, is out of the ordinary!!!!

We are at Esposende and many pilgrims are on the coastal path
The walk on the board walks along the beach are soft and the breeze very welcome.
Then there is the good food outlets selling fresh fish all day and night
Enjoyable if you don't hurry.
We have walked in sandals , no problems.

We are at Esposende and many pilgrims are on the coastal path
The walk on the board walks along the beach are soft and the breeze very welcome.
Then there is the good food outlets selling fresh fish all day and night
Enjoyable if you don't hurry.
We have walked in sandals , no problems.
How is the accommodation availablity? I’m walking the coastal route end of August. I’ve not booked any accommodation. Hoping for pensions along the way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How is the accommodation availablity? I’m walking the coastal route end of August. I’ve not booked any accommodation. Hoping for pensions along the way.
No worries what's so ever with accommodation , but from Esposende to Viana
take the normal way as the Coast is wild , lacking signage .
You join up just before Viana.

Hi, Anamya,

Thank you so much for the invaluable information. For a first timer like myself, this is an incredible resource (as a fellow pilgrim, Elle, mentioned earlier.) I think I'm going to take your advice and begin in Porto. I'll be staying with my family in Lisbon and taking the earliest train up to Porto to begin the following day. I can't imagine visiting Porto and not enjoying the city, culture, and food before beginning the Caminho. :)

Dear Seth

First of all, congratulations on taking the first step on this journey! :)

1) As it is your First Camino, the route out of Porto is better marked and has more options of accomodation than out of Coimbra, so maybe you could start there just not to overload yourself with unnecessary worries right in the begining? I mean, it is perfectly doable out of Coimbra (and the city is quite amazing), but the Cathedral of Sé in Porto is a beautiful and very known starting point, so it could be easier and you will see some pilgrims to share your adventure.

That said, I don´t know what is your walking rhythm - I did Porto to Santiago in 10 days, in a tranquil (for me) 20-25km per day.

2) I spent 3 days in Porto adjusting to jetlag (I came from Australia) and enjoying the amazing istory, food and Port wine of the place. Afterwards, I spent 2 days in Santiago. I did not feel like I needed rest days in the middle, as I enjoyed the afternoons in the cities. If i was going to stop somewhere, it would probably be in the border Valença/Tui or in Caldas de Reis, where they had spas (but it would demand extra $$$). I have not done the Finisterre Muxia trail yet, so i can´t advice on that.

3) I'm on the team that defends trail runners all the way. I wore Mizunos, because they fit me well. I think that even when they got wet, because they were so breathable, they drid quickly from one day to another - specially if left near a window or heater in cheap private accomodations...

Also, the Portuguese camino has A LOT (LOT LOT LOT LOT) of stony paths, so shoes that are well cushioned inside and very comfortable will help a lot not to let your feet hurt.
Check @davebugg 's input on this thread (second post). He tests gear and has very good advice about it.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lecting-boots-for-our-walk.56181/#post-632393

Boots and hiking shoes make my feet really sweaty and more blister-prone. But each person is different, if you have the chance or trying different footwear before the camino, better for you.

I hope that helps. Do not miss the opportunity to try Port wine and Francesinha in Porto, Pimientos in Padron and Caldo Galego at night to refill your energies :)

Buen Camino!

It's Finisterre for both beaches and buses back to Santiago. I describe F as a beach town and M as a town on the coast. Peg preferred F, I preferred M.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, All,

I have another question -- has anyone walked the Lighthouse Way (Camino dos Faros) from Finisterre to Ponteceso? It's an unofficial route by the looks of it. I read about it here, although I will be doing the Camino alone without the guidance and support of an on-site service like Camino Ways, respectively.

From what Anamya said, it seems that the Porto - Santiago - Finisterre route may not take as long as I thought (~16 days), so I'm considering adding an additional 5-6 days to walk this "unofficial" route to Ponteceso.

As always, your help and insight is truly invaluable. Mil gracias. :)

I have another question -- has anyone walked the Lighthouse Way (Camino dos Faros) from Finisterre to Ponteceso?

Hi Seth! I have not walked any of the Finisterre trails yet, but maybe you can get more info on the Finisterre part of this Forum. there is even a topic about the Caminho dos Farois: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-dos-faros.55048/

If you can read some Spanish (or even Portuguese), another great website to use along your trip is Gronze: https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

Bom caminho!

From what Anamya said, it seems that the Porto - Santiago - Finisterre route may not take as long as I thought (~16 days), so I'm considering adding an additional 5-6 days to walk this "unofficial" route to Ponteceso.
You could add a day (or two) by going from SdC to Muxia first before heading south to Finisterre (optional stay in Lireas halfway.) Then to Ponteceso.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's Finisterre for both beaches and buses back to Santiago. I describe F as a beach town and M as a town on the coast. Peg preferred F, I preferred M.

The Spanish we met in Melide in 2008who road their Harley's to that famous restr. touched their heart when describing Muxia.
Finisterre is a tourist town with accommodation.
Muxia was avoided because of the distance there from Hospital until the man who owns Zara and has $$$$$ built that lovely albergue for " walkers " in Dimbria thus diverting many to the Spanish home of the Camino.
( No buses , no luggage transport , no bikes , just the normal pilgrims is what he requested)
Then Bella Muxia opened up and a new world has commenced .
Their is no comparison to being on the rocks beside the church , alone at sunset.
There is enough buses back for all .
We all have our likes and choices but I believe the Spanish will tell you their choice where to finish in their countr if you ask.

Hola Seth!
elle
I would love to know, ahead of time, what you find magical about Muxia...I seek magic. Thank you. Tammi

This is just my opinion of course ... feel free to ignore it!

If you are from Europe ... Dont walk to Finesterre or Muxia to end your first Camino. Walk the longest path to Santiago that your schedule allows. So according to your post, I think you should start in Coimbra.

Two reasons:

1: Arriving in Santiago can be magical (not always though!), but knowing Santiago is the end of your Camino is more likely to make arriving there a special experience. Walking on for another 3 or 4 days may dilute the 'arrival' moment.

2: And this is more important .. if you are from Europe, it's easy to come back and walk the Finesterre route another time! For my birthday this year, a small group of friends, family and I took a budget flight to Santiago, spent 5 days walking Santiago > Muxia > Finesterre, before catching the bus back to Santiago, then flying home the next day. It's a perfect one week Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would love to know, ahead of time, what you find magical about Muxia...I seek magic. Thank you. Tammi
Hello Tammi
It's a personal magic, Stone and water. That is what comes to my mind. I was so drawn to the unassuming nature of the village and the tremendous power of the giant stones and the pounding, dancing waves on them. Felt like I could spend the rest of my days there. I seek the mystical and found it there. If you are seeking it, you will find your magic! Ultreia! elle

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back