• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for presentable, smart looking walking shoes

Brightmore

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hey everyone!

I am looking for a walking shoe that is presentable and can be worn for general travelling, restaurants and museums, in addition to the camino. I am not a fan of the approach, trainer like shoe.

I appreciate appearance is subjective and isn't the chief concern when purchasing a shoe, but I am looking for a balance, as these products are expensive.

I have previously worn the Scarpa Cyrus GTX shoe, which whilst decent but has a very poor sole, lasting a few months. I wore this shoe for my week long Camino Portuguese, so I know they do the job, I just wish they were better quality.

Recommendations appreciated! :)

Attachments

• go_066832_a-2.jpeg
    go_066832_a-2.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 4,272
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My choice for several years for a travelling shoe has been the Lowa Renegade III GTX . I don't use them for pilgrimage walks where I normally wear boots, but if I am sightseeing or doing short walks, these have worked well for me.

There are no fashion awards on the camino. Personally I would reconsider caring how your shoes look—they’re going to get dirty and muddy anyways.
Apologies if I didn’t make this clear in my post, but I’m looking to use them for travelling in addition to the Camino, so I would prefer shoes that may be used happily for both. I guess what I'm saying is not trainers, or trainer like shoes.

Last edited:
Presentable or more formal outings and practical for hiking is a contradiction.
Meindl like @henrythedog suggests are very good!
I like my Hanwag but you can't say they are smart looking.Very comfy though. Mine are mid height but the range also has some low ones.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My choice for several years for a travelling shoe has been the Lowa Renegade III GTX . I don't use them for pilgrimage walks where I normally wear boots, but if I am sightseeing or doing short walks, these have worked well for me.
My husband also wears these, but only for winter caminos. He found them too hot in the summer. He's also worn Keen's on at least one Camino that could be considered nicer than cross trainers.

Some years ago I had a pair of Brasher leather walking shoes for similar reasons to yours. I have no idea if these will fit or be suitable but you could take a look at these Brasher shoes Vibram soles don't usually wear out too fast.

My first Brasher's are now my gardening shoes and still very comfy indeed. Unfortunately a second pair were never as comfy, the Nubuck was stiffer than the leather 🤷‍♀️

You do want comfort to outweigh all other considerations if you are walking day after day in the same pair. But I'm sure you know that 😅

Good luck and Buen Camino

Presentable or more formal outings and practical for hiking is a contradiction.
Meindl like @henrythedog suggests are very good!
I like my Hanwag but you can't say they are smart looking.Very comfy though. Mine are mid height but the range also has some low ones.

Not formal, just not trainers :) thank you
Some years ago I had a pair of Brasher leather walking shoes for similar reasons to yours. I have no idea if these will fit or be suitable but you could take a look at these Brasher shoes Vibram soles don't usually wear out too fast.

My first Brasher's are now my gardening shoes and still very comfy indeed. Unfortunately a second pair were never as comfy, the Nubuck was stiffer than the leather 🤷‍♀️

You do want comfort to outweigh all other considerations if you are walking day after day in the same pair. But I'm sure you know that 😅

Good luck and Buen Camino
Very helpful - thank you!

@Brightmore I read your OP and thought you were 'aving a giraffe but I've flicked through a bit of your previous and I think I have a feel for where you are coming from.

A decent leather boot / mid from the likes of Meindl, Brasher & the ilk should meet your needs comfortably. If you are in transition from Camino mud to Michelin grub you'll only need to give them a scrub up and apply some Dubbin. I carry a rag saturated in the stuff and it'll do my boots for 500 miles

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Brightmore I read your OP and thought you were 'aving a giraffe but I've flicked through a bit of your previous and I think I have a feel for where you are coming from.

A decent leather boot / mid from the likes of Meindl, Brasher & the ilk should meet your needs comfortably. If you are in transition from Camino mud to Michelin grub you'll only need to give them a scrub up and apply some Dubbin. I carry a rag saturated in the stuff and it'll do my boots for 500 miles
This is really helpful! Thanks so much!

Hey everyone!

I am looking for a walking shoe that is presentable and can be worn for general travelling, restaurants and museums, in addition to the camino. I am not a fan of the approach, trainer like shoe.

I appreciate appearance is subjective and isn't the chief concern when purchasing a shoe, but I am looking for a balance, as these products are expensive.

I have previously worn the Scarpa Cyrus GTX shoe, which whilst decent but has a very poor sole, lasting a few months. I wore this shoe for my week long Camino Portuguese, so I know they do the job, I just wish they were better quality.

Would recommend that you send your walking shoes home after the camino and get new ones for the standard travelling part of your adventure!

Hey everyone!

I buy all black trail runner shoes. I feel comfortable wearing them in churches and restaurants. I also try to avoid shorts and wear black long pants. Golfing brands of clothing sources have lots of offerings of lightweight, easily washed pants that are presentable in churches and restaurants.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
LOL. I chuckled when I read this question.

It brought to mind my first Camino - inches of mud due to cold wet downpours every day.

I have a photo of my doing something I never thought I would do, because I never thought it was possible. In this photo, I am standing by the sink in Pamplona, my hand inside one boot, holding my boot under the running water to try to rinse off an unbelievable amount of mud.

Were my boots going to dry by the next morning? I had no idea. But I could not continue with an extra pound of mud on each foot.

My boots, not waterproof, rinsed out completely, They dried completely by the next morning (insoles rinsed and dried separately).

This spectacle continued many, many more days on the Camino. Dirty boots on the Camino became my badge of accomplishment.

I second the view that you should go for Brasher's, which are super comfy (leather lined inside) and fine for hiking and general use. I used a pair of Brasher Ultralight on my first Camino, on my motorcycle and for social wear ... Very presentable. Berghaus took over Brasher but as far as I know they still make them under their brand.

I later switched to Salomon Ultra GTX, then to Merrell Flex Connect, neither of which I can wear socially 👹. My heart is with the Brashers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would recommend Arcteryx, the Konseal model is very lightweight and yet with toe caps that protect you against rocks/gravel etc. They are quite slim fit, hence avoiding the trainers look, but it won’t suit people with wide feet, I think. Vibram soles, which as far as I know, is the best/latest technology for outdoor soles.

They have leather and non leather (mesh upper part) and gtx and non GTX versions.

The men’s model seem to come in beige or black, the Women’s are in dusky pink! More like pale beige really.

Dress it up n down with laces 🤪 I put bright Camino yellow fluorescent laces so people can see me in the dark/foggy mornings, but will keep the original ones too. Oh in the second pic I was also holding a special hiking insole, I’m turning my smart footwear into sth very loud aren’t I 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• 3D58BFA2-A629-4CD7-AE8C-E874B29E4D90.jpeg
    3D58BFA2-A629-4CD7-AE8C-E874B29E4D90.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 1CDC3206-323A-4BC3-9B03-17296E76BBBD.jpeg
    1CDC3206-323A-4BC3-9B03-17296E76BBBD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Apologies if I didn’t make this clear in my post, but I’m looking to use them for travelling in addition to the Camino, so I would prefer shoes that may be used happily for both. I guess what I'm saying is not trainers, or trainer like shoes.

I'm sure you'll find something, but as with any piece of equipment that is required to perform two different functions, it will likely do neither particularly well. :rolleyes:

We travel post Camino, and just use our walking boots/shoes..... museums, fancy restaurants, hotels......

Many if not most long distance travellers these days wear very casual clothes and footwear.

Though on my next Camino, I have to stop off in Dubai on the way to speak at a conference.

I may take an old business shirt and pants that I can throw away afterwards. (or leave to be mailed home)
My footwear will probably be my trekking sandals. :cool:

I'll explain why I'm dressed in such a way as a bit of a joke...........
There's no way I'm 'carting' business attire with me. :oops:

I may take an old business shirt and pants that I can throw away afterwards. (or leave to be mailed home)
My footwear will probably be my trekking sandals. :cool:
Tony Leung as Mandarin in Shanxi really rocked that look! (Suit, open collared shirt, and sandals)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How things must have changed for you.

Back in April, you posted asking for advice for an immuno-compromised person walking the camino in mid July, and were given lots of useful suggestions. In one of your responses, you said that you would be 'planning rigidly ahead and remaining isolated, other than when outside'.

Now your concern is to look respectable when in museums and restaurants. Either a miracle happened back in July or your sense of perspective has changed. Whichever it is, I am so glad that you feel able to get back to living more normally.

Hey everyone!

As long as they're not covered in mud no one will care.

I have pretty much given up on having smart-looking feet. I accept that my shoes look rather like orthopedic shoes because, well, they are rather orthopedic. Coincidentally they might be considered rather sporty/athletic, too (although in my heart of hearts I know they are downright ugly). So don't assume that I am wearing them as my first style choice.

I wish you luck in finding the perfect shoes!

My husband and I use Joyas, a Swiss brand of orthopedic shoes ... They roll you along, continually supporting your knees and back. Look past their obviously Ortho styles and you'll find fashionable ones, which are equally amazing for caminhos (and, for us, daily use). Check the weight tho: husband has a pair of featherlight topsiders, I have sandals which are heavier than my leather slipons. There are new styles every year, which is fun if you care about your footwear... And, being Portuguese, I do. 🙂 Our Joyas recently walked the Portuguese Caminho and, with a wipedown, were ready for a few fine dining splurges along the Way. Bom Caminho!

My husband and I use Joyas, a Swiss brand of orthopedic shoes ... They roll you along, continually supporting your knees and back. Look past their obviously Ortho styles and you'll find fashionable ones, which are equally amazing for caminhos (and, for us, daily use). Check the weight tho: husband has a pair of featherlight topsiders, I have sandals which are heavier than my leather slipons. There are new styles every year, which is fun if you care about your footwear... And, being Portuguese, I do. 🙂 Our Joyas recently walked the Portuguese Caminho and, with a wipedown, were ready for a few fine dining splurges along the Way. Bom Caminho!
Husband just walked by in his newest Joyas... Slightly perplexed when I photographed his feet. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_110647.jpg
    IMG_20220903_110647.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.