• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations for rest days, accommodation, and booking ahead

GOB

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese from Viana do Costello sept 2019

# A Guarda -#Viladelsuso – #A Ramallosa - #Vigo - #Cesantes - #Pontevedra - #Combarro - #Barrantes - #Vilanova de Arousa - #Padron - #O Faramello - # Santiago

Above is my proposed itinerary for the Portuguese coastal Padron may or may not be an overnight depending on times of the ferry from Vilanova de Arousa.
Any recommendations for rest days along this.

Any recommendations for private room accommodation in any of these places. Dormitory style accommodation is out I snore like a rhino, talk shout, rant and rave in my sleep and on odd occasions throw things about the bedroom all while I am out for the count.

Finally can anyone suggest which is better to book 1 – 3 days by email ( helps solve the language problem ) or by direct phone calls.

With 33 days to go I am looking forward to the challenge have kept the daily distance to a manageable 15 – 20 KM’s per day hoping for some knowledgeable responses from the veteran walkers on this forum

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Baiona is a nice spot with a walled fort to check out, Pontevedra would also make a good rest stop, apparently there is a great market in Padron, and a historic church so another option.
Your stages have different stops than we had, but the Hotel Room in Pontevedra ( booking.com), was very nice and good value. We stayed at Hotel la scala just past Padrón to avoid the morning rush- the crowds pushing at the breakfast buffet were pretty amazing! Take a look at Gronze.com for other suggestions for accommodation. I have found some places do not respond to email, so booking.com is usually my usual method of reservation, have not tried phone calls though, and that might get you a lower rate.
You will love the coastal route, it’s quite peaceful until you join the central route. Send a pm if you’d like our list of accommodation, we didn’t take the Variante Espiritual....maybe next time.

# A Guarda -#Viladelsuso – #A Ramallosa - #Vigo - #Cesantes - #Pontevedra - #Combarro - #Barrantes - #Vilanova de Arousa - #Padron - #O Faramello - # Santiago

Above is my proposed itinerary for the Portuguese coastal Padron may or may not be an overnight depending on times of the ferry from Vilanova de Arousa.

Any recommendations for private room accommodation in any of these places. Dormitory style accommodation is out I snore like a rhino, talk shout, rant and rave in my sleep and on odd occasions throw things about the bedroom all while I am out for the count.

Finally can anyone suggest which is better to book 1 – 3 days by email ( helps solve the language problem ) or by direct phone calls.

With 33 days to go I am looking forward to the challenge have kept the daily distance to a manageable 15 – 20 KM’s per day hoping for some knowledgeable responses from the veteran walkers on this forum
Baiona is wonderful .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
+1 for Baiona...

Baiona! is my vote: castles, beaches, historic churches. Click here to see my day's journey through Baiona, and the accommodations there. The Albergue-Hospedería, El Pazo Pías in A Ramallosa has rooms as well as the albergue. There are tons of places to stay in Baiona, and I always book ahead on the internet in English on booking.com.
Pontevedra is also a great place to rest. And of course I have a article that includes that as well! Click here to see it. We stayed in the Hospedaje Casa Maruja and had a lovely room overlooking the church square, as you will see in the article!
Happy planning and buen camino!

I'd have to agree with others. If you have a little bit of extra money stay at the Baiona Parador. It's in the fort that others have talked about and is a very friendly place to stay. Vigo is also good in that there are a lot of accommodations available and many places to eat. Can also say good things about Pontevedra as a place to rest. I stayed at the Parador there once as well and would not do it again (very haughty and no stamp). Padron has a nice little hotel "Chef Rivera" on a quiet side street with a lavandaria across the street.

Also a side note, if you have time in either Baiona or Vigo you can take a day and take the ferry out to the national park. It's a very nice set of islands with some nice walking and vistas. The only catch is that you have to apply in advance online (no big deal) since they limit the number of travelers to the park. There are places in the park (near the dock) to get food or refreshments.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many thanks for all your responses and recommendations Pontevedra is a strong possibility I suppose rest days will be linked to what I can do daily as opposed to what I think I can do underestimating oneself is a nice way to get an ego boost when you succeed

Sean

My friend and I plan to walk to O Faramello from the ferry and then walk into Santiago the next day. We are scheduled to take the Ferry on 10/1 and we expect the ferry to be early in the morning as high tide is about 6:30 am.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back