• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations (Leon to Santiago) Frances - towns for rest days, and places with pilgrim services

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte
We did the first half of the Frances last year and will walk from Leon to SdC this summer. I would like 2 recommendations.

1. We want to schedule 2 rest days between Leon & SdC. What towns have a lot of charm and would be nice stops?

2. Are there churches, albergues, convents or monasteries that hold regular services for pilgrims between Leon & SdC?

Thx for your assistance.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ponferrada is a lovely town with the Castle and would give you time to explore
Also I am planning two nights in Trabadelo at Casa Susie’s, a lovely village to relax and absorb your walk so far
Buen Camino

Beth and Rodney,

Here is a list of CF monasteries, convents and chapter houses which host pilgrims; it was prepared in 2015 but is still quite valid.

See also this thread with comments/ updates re the list.

Happy planning and Buen camino to you both

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are so many options. One very special service is the vespers in Rabanal.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We did the first half of the Frances last year and will walk from Leon to SdC this summer. I would like 2 recommendations.

1. We want to schedule 2 rest days between Leon & SdC. What towns have a lot of charm and would be nice stops?

2. Are there churches, albergues, convents or monasteries that hold regular services for pilgrims between Leon & SdC?

Thx for your assistance.

Buen Camino
Some suggestions.
1. Towns for rest days: Molenaseca - sit in the park and swim in the river. Samos - visit the monastery. Astorga - see Cathedral, Gaudi Palace, and Roman Museum (Museo Romano La Ergast)

2. Albergues: Vega de Valcarce - Albergue El Paso (clean and comfortable, lovely place to sit in the sun enjoying the mountains after a long day walking uphill). Filoval - Albergue Filoval (good cafe bar with a nice garden)

Astorga would be my first choice, if it is not too close to Leon to take a rest day already.

Villafranca del Bierzo is a very nice town that many recommend for rest days and which doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread yet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thx for your assistance.

Buen Camino
When areyou going?

Astorga would be my first choice, if it is not too close to Leon to take a rest day already.

Villafranca del Bierzo is a very nice town that many recommend for rest days and which doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread yet.

Seconding this. Both are among my favorite towns on the Camino. I spent two nights in Astoria and there is plenty to see there (don’t miss the bishop’s palace and cathedral museum.) I only spent an overnight in Villafranca but it is a beautiful place and I would have loved to have spent another day there simply relaxing and taking in the scenery.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A good place to take a pause would be in Ponferrada. Things to explore
Some really nice restaurants. Treat yourself to a private room in a small hotel!

If you are seeking a real rest day in a pastoral tiny town, try Las Herreras, before the climb to OCebreiro. Casa Lixa has both private room and dorm.

Actually, when walking fom Leon to SdC, I tend to shorten the distances rather than take rest days. I do take one, for sure, in Arzua because I like to dine at a particular restaurant.

Astorga would be my choice
Seconding this. Both are among my favorite towns on the Camino. I spent two nights in Astoria and there is plenty to see there (don’t miss the bishop’s palace and cathedral museum.) I only spent an overnight in Villafranca but it is a beautiful place and I would have loved to have spent another day there simply relaxing and taking in the scenery.
I agree with this choice as well. Astorga had quite a few Roman ruins. We took the museum walking tour. In Spanish but we picked up the basic idea of each site. The palace designed by Gaudi is wonderful and one of the displays is an older Cruz de Ferro.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back