• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations: No blisters, no sunburn!

Kathleen PEters

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Camino Frances in May 2017
Recently back from walking the Via de la Plata from Sevilla to Salamanca. It was brutally hot for the first week. I would like to share two items that worked well for me.

I took "sleeves" that runners normally use to keep warm. These were great to counteract the sun which usually ended up burning the arm that was facing the sun. They were easy to slide on and off as needed. The sleeves were also great on cool mornings. I could slide them off as the day heated up. No need to change my shirt or take off my pack. They are light and fit easily into my pocket.

I have had problems with blisters on other caminos. I tried out a product called BlistaBloc which were thin strips that I inserted in my shoes rather than on my feet. They lasted for my 3 week walk and I was blister free despite some very hot feet on very hot pavement. They were inexpensive and effective. www.blistabloc.com.

Both will be with me again when I start walking a section of the Via Francigena in July!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have had problems with blisters on other caminos. I tried out a product called BlistaBloc which were thin strips that I inserted in my shoes rather than on my feet. They lasted for my 3 week walk and I was blister free despite some very hot feet on very hot pavement. They were inexpensive and effective. www.blistabloc.com.
I wonder how these compare to the Engo patches that @davebugg recently reviewed.

Not sure. I haven't heard about Engo patches. I found Blista Bloc on a website and ordered them. I think I paid $7 for a set.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I have tried them. They are not as versatile as Engo Patches on where they can be applied in the shoe or insole, nor do they have the same level of lubricity as Engo Blister Patches. They can decrease the risk for blistering in the area of the heels. I find that overall the Engo Patches are a better implementation all around.

I haven't researched the information closely, but BlistaBloc used a method of group funding as a startup a couple of years ago. The makers of Engo have looked closely to see if there might be any infringement issues.

I didn't mean this as a competition. I am just sharing what worked for me when I walked. I was happy with the sleeves and had great success with Blistabloc. Wanted to share with other pilgrims. End of my comments on my post.

I didn't mean this as a competition. I am just sharing what worked for me when I walked. I was happy with the sleeves and had great success with Blistabloc. Wanted to share with other pilgrims. End of my comments on my post.
It's not a competition. I just wondered if they were similar to the Engo patches. They are certainly less expensive. It's good to know about other options. Thanks for letting us know about them, and how well the sleeves worked for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Please don't feel that my response was meant to be a competition between products. :) I was responding to a specific question to me that asked about an experiential comparison because of an extensive review that I had just recently posted.

I do not in any way dispute your success, and the benefit you derived from using Blistabloc. :)

I have tried them. They are not as versatile as Engo Patches on where they can be applied in the shoe or insole, nor do they have the same level of lubricity as Engo Blister Patches. They can decrease the risk for blistering in the area of the heels. I find that overall the Engo Patches are a better implementation all around.

I haven't researched the information closely, but BlistaBloc used a method of group funding as a startup a couple of years ago. The makers of Engo have looked closely to see if there might be any infringement issues.
Hey davebugg, how long did the Engo Patches last?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Regarding the blisters - toe socks!!
I wore my toe socks occasionally as well, but I tend to get the worse blisters around the heels, so those didn't help as much for that. But they are great otherwise.

I wore my toe socks occasionally as well, but I tend to get the worse blisters around the heels, so those didn't help as much for that. But they are great otherwise.
And toe socks actually caused me to get a blister at the base between my big toe and second toe!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.