• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations on alburgues & "extras" from Sarria to Santi

iloveidiazabal

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013
Hi,

My husband and I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago in early May. Can you please tell me what albergues should not be missed? (Or which ones we should stay away from)? We want to try to avoid the "party" places, as we're a couple of old foagies who want a good night's rest! :D Also, I'm very allergic to most animals, so I would hope to avoid places that allow animals.

We're specifically looking for albergues in Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Ribadiso, and Arca do Pino.

Also-are there any things that we must see or places we must eat? We love good food- it doesn't have to be fancy...it could be good ol' rustic "peasant food" for all we care. We just want it to be real food and good food.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
iloveidiazabal said:
Hi,

My husband and I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago in early May. Can you please tell me what albergues should not be missed? (Or which ones we should stay away from)? We want to try to avoid the "party" places, as we're a couple of old foagies who want a good night's rest! :D Also, I'm very allergic to most animals, so I would hope to avoid places that allow animals.

We're specifically looking for albergues in Sarria, Portomarin, Palas de Rei, Ribadiso, and Arca do Pino.

Also-are there any things that we must see or places we must eat? We love good food- it doesn't have to be fancy...it could be good ol' rustic "peasant food" for all we care. We just want it to be real food and good food.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!!!

iloveidiazabal,

For detailed information in this Forum regarding 'all' albergues along the Camino Frances be sure to check out Ivar's wonderful new list Camino Frances: Stages & albergues which includes former pilgrims' ratings and comments. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-frances/

My favorite pillgrim albergue in Sarria is O Durmiento where I have often stayed. See this thread for more opinions >> el-camino-frances/topic17822.html

What makes a good meal, of course, is a VERY personal choice! However I have always enjoyed these two simple pilgrim-friendly restaurants on your route. In Ferreios down the hill next to the local church and cemetery is the restaurant/bar, Meson Mirabilos. Last December a delicious Sunday lunch included fresh clam soup, breaded veal cutlet with cream sauce, cheese tart, thick country bread, water, wine and coffee for 10 euros! What a bargain! Just east of Palas de Rei the hotel/restaurant, La Cabana, also has an excellent daily menu and a great bar on the wide verandah with free WiFi. I have never stayed here but always enjoy their food.

Buen Camino to you both,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thee is a lovely private albergue with also private rooms O Meson at Brea, O Pino. Excellent food too. Signed to the left off the Camino about 80mts.
Also:- in Lavacolla the Hotel Piao has pilgrim accomodation and good food. Two or three cafes nearby too. To the right at the church and under the arch.
That made our stages Arzua, Brea, Lavacolla, Santiago. Distances 15.5, 16.5 and 12km.

There's a great albergue in Ribadiso de Abaixo.

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Deva (Gijón) - Lourenzá (Lugo) [2011]
Irún - Santander (2012)
Santiago - Fisterra - Muxía - Fisterra (2013)

There's one thing I missed on my last Camino and had to buy it. A multi plug charger wall. In some albergues there are few spots to charge and everybody wants to charge their phones. Now I always carry one in my bag.

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Irún - Santander (2012)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Avoid the downtown municipal albergue in Palas de Rei; if you walk about 45 minutes past Palas to San Xulian, you will find one of the best albergues on the Camino. Call ahead to reserve.

Albergue O Abrigadoiro
Dirección: Aldea de San Xulián do Camiño
Localidad: San Xulián do Camiño (Concello de Palas de Rei)
Teléfono de contacto: 982 37 41 17. Reservas: 676 596 975
Email: medeagomez@yahoo.es
Página web: http://www.everyoneweb.es/abrigadoiro

The municipal in Pedrouzo leaves a lot to be desired. Choose the Porto da Santiago instead, but it does not take reservations.

Albergue Porta de Santiago
Dirección: Avenida de Lugo, 11
Localidad: Pedrouzo (Parroquia de Arca - Concello de O Pino)
Teléfono de contacto: 981 511 103, 607 835 354
Email: portadesantiago@hotmail.com
Página web: http://www.portadesantiago.com

In Arzua the Caminantes II is new and centrally located. It has no kitchen if you are self-catering.

Albergue Los Caminantes II
Dirección: Calle de Santiago, 14
Localidad: Arzúa (A Coruña)
Teléfono de contacto: 981 50 81 27, 647 02 06 00
Email: info@albergueloscaminantes.com
Página web: http://www.albergueloscaminantes.com

For a shorter day into Santiago, walk past O Pedrouzo to the hotel at Amenal. A double room is about 35E.

Hotel Amenal‎
Amenal, 12, Castrofeito
15821 O Pino, Spain
981 51 04 31

A nice side trip before Palas is to Vilar de Donas. You can stay here at the intersection of the road to Vilar de Donas:

Albergue A Calzada
Dirección: El albergue se encuentra pasado Portos, a mano izquierda antes de llegar a la parroquia de Lestedo
Localidad: Parroquia de Lestedo
Teléfono de contacto: 982 18 37 44

Tia Valeria said:
Thee is a lovely private albergue with also private rooms O Meson at Brea, O Pino. Excellent food too. Signed to the left off the Camino about 80mts.
Also:- in Lavacolla the Hotel Piao has pilgrim accomodation and good food. Two or three cafes nearby too. To the right at the church and under the arch.
That made our stages Arzua, Brea, Lavacolla, Santiago. Distances 15.5, 16.5 and 12km.

Wow- thanks everyone! This is such helpful information!

Can I ask one final question? How necessary are reservations? I'm a bit nervous about being "locked in" to a certain schedule and not having flexibility, but if I need to I will.

Thanks again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think early May will present problems on finding a bed. Many places do not take reservations, even some that accept transported baggage. If you are worried, call ahead.

We had no problems in May last year. We simply called ahead the night before.
This was useful as some places were fairly busy and it also meant we could choose our accomodation, then walk next day knowing we had a bed that night.
At Brea we went into the private rooms. The albergue has 10 beds but we preferred the option of our own room.
At Lavacolla we were glad we had booked as it was very busy. Others were booked into hotels just out of town but had to come into Lavacolla itself and eat at the Hotel Paio at night.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Hi Idiazabal! thx for your private message. I tried to reply your message but I get a persistent SQL error message everytime I try to reply. I'm using the iPhone app.

Here's my reply:

Hi! You're welcome! We use 220 instead of 110 intensity? in Spain. At least Apple devices work on both, so you just need to buy the plug adaptor as our wall plugs doesn't have 3 "sticks". In the UK they use another adapters. Hope you understand me :)

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Irún - Santander (2012)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

:)

Sarria - Santiago (2005)
Irún - Santander (2012)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back