• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations on different routes

Charlie Mason

I walked the Camino Frances last September-October and want to do another Camino.. Obviously! I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on other routes to do? Norte, Portugues, Plata? I really enjoyed the lush, green sections of the Frances and would like to do another Camino. I am longing to do another Camino. Once you do one, you feel the urge to keep walking! Thanks,

Charlie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Charlie! I've only ever done the CF and the Via de la Plata this Summer so no expert.
The VdlP is won-der-ful to be sure but.... I cannot recommend it in Summer time. Depends when you're planning to walk. I left 2nd June to be slightly (or so I hoped) ahead of the high Summer temperatures....Didn't work as we had a heatwave this year.
Unless you are used to very hot weather, I'd stay clear of June, July, August and September....
I am sure others will give their experience on other caminos.
Enjoy your planning!

I walked the Camino Frances last September-October and want to do another Camino.. Obviously! I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on other routes to do? Norte, Portugues, Plata? I really enjoyed the lush, green sections of the Frances and would like to do another Camino. I am longing to do another Camino. Once you do one, you feel the urge to keep walking! Thanks,

Charlie

Charlie:

I guess it depends somewhat on what you like. None of the other Camino's are just like the Frances.

That said, Here are some of my other experiences. The Norte is a great walk if you like Seascapes and lots of 500 meter hills. A beautiful walk along the coast through some nice cities like San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santandar and Gijon. You also have an option to switch to the Primitivo after Villaviciosa. Some folks think this route has too much hard surface walking but I liked it. It is also well populated but not like the Frances.

Another option if you do not have as much time is the San Salvador/Primitivo. The San Salvador starts in Leon and ends in Oviedo (4-6 day walk). It has it's own Credential and Certificate. A very sparsely walked route but beautiful. In Oviedo you pick up the Primitivo (an 11-14 day walk). This walk is rural and hilly but can be muddy if rainy. Another beautiful walk which intersect the Frances for a crowded finish in Santiago. This is a well populated route, much like the Norte, but less than the Frances.

You could walk the Vasco (Tunnel route) starting in Irun and connecting to the Frances in either Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos. This route starts out more gently than the Frances from the coastal cities through the valleys of Basque country then into wine region of Brinas/Haro before intersecting the Frances. At that point you can continue on the Frances with options to walk the Salvador in Leon or the Invierno at Ponferrada.

There are also many other options I have yet to experience VdlP, Portuguese, Levante, Madrid etc. etc. Others might also suggest you start further back in France.

So many choices. Whichever one you choose, I am sure you will enjoy.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Consider for a moment why you started from SJPP and that the Camiño Francés is only the tail end, the last bit, leftovers from the Vía Turonensis (Paris), the Chemin de Vézelay (Burgundy), the Chemin Le Puy (Le Puy-en-Velay), and the Chemin d'Arles through Languedoc-Roussillon. Expand your horizons! Go back to the source!! My choice? Chemin Le Puy!

The only alternative I have walked in Spain is the Norte, which I loved. It is lush and green and stunning, with a good mix of country and interesting towns and cities. In France my favourite (to date) is Le Puy to SJPDP.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back