A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Recommendations on Language Courses?

2020 Camino Guides

peregrina2000

Staff member
A Camino pal of mine is hoping to return to Spain for a 2-4 week language course. The choices are overwhelming, and he was hoping that someone on the forum would have specific recommendations. He would like to be in a coastal place, daily lessons, not sure what other features he should pay attention to.

I have tried searching on the forum, because I know there have been posts on this. I have been unable to focus in on the precise question he has asked, so I am hoping someone will have recommendations. Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2016; Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre/Muxia 2017; Aragones 2018; Suso/Yuso, Meseta 2019
Last year I took a two week course at Don Quijote in Salamanca. I choose to stay in a residencia. What I liked was being in one city for longer than just a day or two which allowed me to become more familiar with the sights and comfortable with how to function in that city. I was in class for 5 hours a day ( next time I will do just 4 hours a day) switched among three teachers. I liked being able to ask my specific questions in class. I believe that Don Quijote is "affiliated" (right now I do not know of a better word) with Exforex, but I do not know how they differ even though they have schools in the same cities.

So, while I am not answering your specific questions, I would be interested in the replies. I am considering two weeks in Granada come spring.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
I know that Phil W has spent time in Spain learning/improving his Spanish, perhaps you might pm him in case he is not on the forum at the moment...

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
@peregrina2000 : Easy. www.enforex.com 4-5 hours/day, depending on your wish, Monday-Friday. Intensive and very educational. Professional and friendly. I can now survive in Spain and even have fun with the locals, in Spanish. :D

I took a 4-week course in Alicante; it gave me A1 skill. A1-A2-B1-B2-C1-C2 is the ladder of language skill. So as you can understand, my Spanish is just basic, but it is surprising how well i can manage getting around now. Directions, politeness, questions, dialogues, and so much more.

I stayed private, arranged by the school. Total cost for school+accomodation with half board: ca. 1.300 Euros for the whole deal. A bargain.

Edit: Alicante is a not too big city, but still a city, by the sea on the south-east coast of Spain. A very long, popular beach with all you need. Great climate and facilities. A very nice place, popular amongst Scandinavians, but of course, during a longer stay, you'll blend in with the locals in a positive way. The advantage of letting the school find you a place to stay (they have a selected group of places/families), is that you will be forced to speak Spanish also after school time. It really enhances your skills rapidly. And you get to eat exactly as the locals. A value in itself.

OTOH: They have schools in many places in Spain, Latin- and South America, so it's all up to your friend to pick.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
I am considering two weeks in Granada come spring.
To my knowledge, www.enforex.com has a school in Granada too.

Edit: He, he, I know I sound like a sales person here. :D But the fact is, I was so surprised with their professionality and friendliness, as well as how they pressed my learning curve. It was also great being part of a Spanish household, living & eating like a Spaniard. I feel so much more confident in Spain now. All for a very affordable price. It was a very rewarding month, in all aspects.

Last edited:

amocatnerak

Camino(s) past & future
Frances April 2018, Frances October 2019
A few years ago I took a two-week French language course in Paris. I booked with CESA languages and I know they offer a lot of options for courses in different cities all over the world. I wouldn’t hesitate to book with them again. I loved staying in my French host’s home. It was a great experience.

peregrina2000

Staff member
@peregrina2000 : Easy. www.enforex.com 4-5 hours/day, depending on your wish, Monday-Friday. Intensive and very educational. Professional and friendly. I can now survive in Spain and even have fun with the locals, in Spanish. :D

I took a 4-week course in Alicante; it gave me A1 skill. A1-A2-B1-B2-C1-C2 is the ladder of language skill. So as you can understand, my Spanish is just basic, but it is surprising how well i can manage getting around now. Directions, politeness, questions, dialogues, and so much more.

I stayed private, arranged by the school. Total cost for school+accomodation with half board: ca. 1.300 Euros for the whole deal. A bargain.

Edit: Alicante is a not too big city, but still a city, by the sea on the south-east coast of Spain. A very long, popular beach with all you need. Great climate and facilities. A very nice place, popular amongst Scandinavians, but of course, during a longer stay, you'll blend in with the locals in a positive way. The advantage of letting the school find you a place to stay (they have a selected group of places/families), is that you will be forced to speak Spanish also after school time. It really enhances your skills rapidly. And you get to eat exactly as the locals. A value in itself.

OTOH: They have schools in many places in Spain, Latin- and South America, so it's all up to your friend to pick.
Great suggestion, thanks. And the added bonus is that since I hope he will join me as I start from Alicante on the Lana next year, this would be a great destination!

Camino(s) past & future
Great suggestion, thanks. And the added bonus is that since I hope he will join me as I start from Alicante on the Lana next year, this would be a great destination!
!!! GREAT!

The way out of Alicante is nice and easy: I have walked the first 2-3 hours. Very well marked. The Camino friends office is on the route out, just after you pass the railway station.This Camino is definitely on my bucket list.

Alicante is a very nice place: Plan to stay there and enjoy/relax for 3-4 days before starting out. The castle on the hillltop over the city is well worth a visit. I advice to take the lift up and walk down.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Ask your friend to study this veery carefully: It is a very good bargain.

Camino(s) past & future
June 2018
Whatever language you study, staying with a family, eating demi-pension is a must, it doubles the value of your language learning. 4 or 5 hours a day in class 5 days a week and usually there are classes in something else, like cooking or dancing or archeology...worth the bit extra.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 309 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 353 28.4%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock