• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations on route from Sarria

shubertj

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012, 2013, 2018 Portuguese 2014 Ingles 2017 Fin/Mux 17, 19 Invierno 2018
Primitivo 2019
My wife is hiking the CF starting in early March with some friends, they plan to hike from Burgos to Sarria at which time I plan on meeting my wife. Her friends will bus to Santiago since they have already hiked in from Sarria previously and are on a limited time schedule. I plan to hike with my wife to Santiago then Finesterre/Muxia. Both my wife and I have hiked the whole route from SJPP and would like a new experience starting near Sarria to Santiago.

Looking for any suggestions of alternate routes as well as albergues you would recommend.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rebekah,
Sounds like a plan we will look into it.
thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife is hiking the CF starting in early March with some friends, they plan to hike from Burgos to Sarria at which time I plan on meeting my wife. Her friends will bus to Santiago since they have already hiked in from Sarria previously and are on a limited time schedule. I plan to hike with my wife to Santiago then Finesterre/Muxia. Both my wife and I have hiked the whole route from SJPP and would like a new experience starting near Sarria to Santiago.

Looking for any suggestions of alternate routes as well as albergues you would recommend.

Advance reservations for lodging are a must. I got stuck walking waaaaay too many kms upon being met by sold out/complet signs the closer I got to Santiago. Not a fun way to end 6 weeks of a happy camino experience.

I'd get a bus or train up to El Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles. Escape the whole moving sidewalk from Sarria and see a really undisturbed kind of camino.

My plan is to cut off onto the Invierno to avoid the Sarria portion. I would like to hear a comparison between the Ingles and the Invierno.

The Invierno is a full-size, 10- or 14-day camino. The Ingles is more of a nice hike through the countryside that ends up in Santiago. The Ingles passes through a more developed area of Galicia, it's got more places to stop, just more people around and houses and towns. The Invierno is a bit of everything, and a lot of countryside. The etapas are longer, there is less choice in places to stop and places to stay, it passes through bits of all the counties of Galicia -- there's just more to it.
I cannot say why one feels more like a camino than the other, but to me it does.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Advance reservations for lodging are a must.
A bit off topic, but to say that this was not at all my experience (2 years in a row) during the time frame you're considering. Maybe later.
On topic...one way to avoid the crowds is to stay at smaller towns: this year for me it was: San Xil, Barbadelo, Portomarin, Casanova, Ribadiso. By staying a little before (or after) the more congested towns you can beat the rush and walk out of the 'wave.' Other nice possibilities might be Ligonde and Castaneda
Much more pleasant.

Last edited:
just for the record: Unless it's a holiday or I'm walking in a big wave of pilgrims, I never make advanced reservations. I have only ever slept outdoors once on all my caminos, and that was by choice.
There are a lot worse things than sleeping outdoors, especially if you are with friends. It is no longer acceptable to say so, but I find adventures rarely happen with reservations made in advance.

Where is the cut-off for the Ingles from the Frances?
The Invierno is a full-size, 10- or 14-day camino. The Ingles is more of a nice hike through the countryside that ends up in Santiago. The Ingles passes through a more developed area of Galicia, it's got more places to stop, just more people around and houses and towns. The Invierno is a bit of everything, and a lot of countryside. The etapas are longer, there is less choice in places to stop and places to stay, it passes through bits of all the counties of Galicia -- there's just more to it.
I cannot say why one feels more like a camino than the other, but to me it does.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Advance reservations for lodging are a must. I got stuck walking waaaaay too many kms upon being met by sold out/complet signs the closer I got to Santiago. Not a fun way to end 6 weeks of a happy camino experience.
I walked at a similar time of year in 2010 without any problem finding space in the Xunta albergues and the one private albergue I stayed at after Sarria.

A bit off topic, but to say that this was not at all my experience (2 years in a row) during the time frame you're considering. Maybe later.
On topic...one way to avoid the crowds is to stay at smaller towns: this year for me it was: San Xil, Barbadelo, Portomarin, Casanova, Ribadiso. By staying a little before (or after) the more congested towns you can beat the rush and walk out of the 'wave.' Other nice possibilities might be Ligonde and Castaneda
Much more pleasant.
Have done almost the same, only Gonzar instead of Portomarin. In October, and no problem to find a bed...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed at Casa Garcia in Gonzar. Very nice privado with a good dinner. Bed was 10E as was dinner. I would stay there again.

Have done almost the same, only Gonzar instead of Portomarin. In October, and no problem to find a bed...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

I have been trying to reach Casa Garcia to reserve a room for May, but they don't answer their phone. Do you have any contact information for them?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Much more pleasant.

Hi, I would love to hear any other recommendations you have of places where you stayed. I am planning to hike Sarria to Santiago & want to walk shorter slower distances (I prefer to cover 8-10 miles/ day vs 14 miles/day) than the routes I have seen so far. I was looking at the map & saw that it seems possible, but would love to hear your route

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
One of our memorable 2015 Camino nights was in Portos at A Paso de Formiga a very special and welcoming place. Recommend it highly :)

D039_065.JPG

and, if the budget stretches, Pazo Xan Xordo in Lavacolla. A little way off the Camino but then only a leisurely 10km into Santiago on the next day.

D043_040.JPG D044_001.JPG

If possible avoid leaving Sarria on a Monday as that seems to be when the large tour groups start so they can fit into a work week. It was crazy! A little better once we slowed down and let them get ahead a day or two, but still way too many people. In 2008 if you waited for 10 minutes someone would come into sight, in 2015 there was usually one or 2 people in sight, in 2019 there were usually 15-40 people within sight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back