• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommendations please

Tony cee

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino from Porto (2017)
My wife and I wish to do the Portuguese way from Porto.
We are both in our sixties but are relatively fit. We intend to start the walk in late August or early September.
We are looking for some guidance in choosing the route and the time for completing the route with any do's and dont's that you may have to offer.

Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

I can see you are new here, 162 people have looked at your question but you have had no responses, your question appears a bit too vague.
Have a look through the Portugues section https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-portugues.13/ and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/frequently-asked-questions.16/ .

Once you have read those try again with a more specific question. Have fun planning and Buen Caminio.

Kathy

Hi Tony cee, welcome to the forum. I offer my own experience in case it provides any information you need. I walked the CP last year starting from Porto on April 26 and arriving SDC May 9. The temperatures were very high (until reaching Galicia) and this slowed my progress. Expect high temperatures during your time of walking. I am 67 and reasonably fit, but the CP route is not demanding with just one stretch that involves a slow climb. I would suggest walking along the riverside (or taking the metro) to Moratinhos then walking along the coast up to Vila do Conde. I didn't do this, but people I met along the way did and enjoyed it, and that way you avoid some of the worst bits where there is little space for pedestrians and no leeway given by motorists. After spending the night at Vila do Conde you can cut inland to Rates and on to Barcelos. If it fits with your schedule, try to stay at Casa Fernanda (see other postings on this topic including appropriate donation and how to book), just before Ponte de Lima. Carry lots of water, the opportunities to refill your bottles are much more spaced out than on the Camino Frances. I am sure other forum members will suggest continuing up the coast after leaving Vila do Conde so whatever you decide to do, Bom Caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are both in our sixties but are relatively fit. We intend to start the walk in late August or early September.
We are looking for some guidance in choosing the route and the time for completing the route with any do's and dont's that you may have to offer.

Thanks

Follow Confalonieri's route! :)

Bom Caminho!

Thanks
Walked this Camino last year, 2 really great places to stay,,,,,,,,,,,,Amigos de Montana in Barcellinhos and definitely Casa Fernanda , Between Barcellos and Ponte de Lima , dont miss it a wonderful experience and what a beautiful family Paddy

I agree with what others say. The Portuguese is not a difficult route but it can be quite hot and humid. You can find cafes and markets along the way and you need to drink plenty of liquids.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked this Camino last year, 2 really great places to stay,,,,,,,,,,,,Amigos de Montana in Barcellinhos and definitely Casa Fernanda , Between Barcellos and Ponte de Lima , dont miss it a wonderful experience and what a beautiful family Paddy
I too stayed at those two places, and agree.
Consider (farther along the Camino) the Variante Espritual - that was probably my favorite part!

Thanks

Here’s some information I previously posted about our experience going from Porto to Santiago in June/July of 2016. We actually started in southwestern Portugal on the Rota Vicentina, but I’ll skip all that except to say it’s fantastic! It took us 11 relatively easy days to go from Porto to Santiago - we’re both in our 60’s, also, so you shouldn’t have any problems.

Porto recommendations:
1. Take a motorcycle sidecar tour with Side Ride Tours http://side-ride.pt/en/ . We didn’t know about/go on it until the night before we left, which was unfortunate because our driver showed us many places we wish we’d known about. It’s a great way to get a feel for the city.

2. A tour of a Port winery is worth the time. We went on the Ferreira tour and really enjoyed it.

3. Good place to stay in Porto: Nice Way Hostel http://nicewayhostels.com/porto/ . Only open for two weeks when we were there, so they were still working out some kinks, but I’m sure they’re good to go now. Nice place (as all the Nice Way Hostels we stayed at were), very centrally located.

We took the coastal route out of Porto, then combined the coastal and inland trails. It is urban from Porto to Angeiras, but it's well marked and much of it is on boardwalks by the ocean so it's not too bad. Once you get to Angeiras it becomes less urban. Out of Angeiras, we stayed along the coast by going to Vila do Conde. Really beautiful walk with boardwalks much of the way.

At that point, we decided to head inland to Arcos to hook up with the Camino Portuguese which meant being on the N309 so we were on asphalt most of that time. Not only that, but the road is extremely narrow with little or no shoulder, so be advised. Loved Angeiras to Vila do Conde; Vila do Conde to Arcos, not so much.

In Tui, the San Clemente Alburgue is worth checking out. We got a private room upstairs for cheap, they have laundry facilities, there's a large garden area, and best of all (for us, anyway) it's right on the trail on the northern edge of town which makes for an easy and quick getaway.

We pushed on past Padron and stayed in Esclavitud, Spain at the Casa Grande da Capellania http://www.casagrandedacapellania.es/ for our last night on the trail. It’s the former rectory for the church next door, family owned and run for generations. BTW, by staying there instead of Padron, it makes for a nice easy day into Santiago. This place is comfortable and homey, and the proprietor will cook you a dinner that’s fantastic. Great place to stay…unless you’re sensitive to noise ‘cause it is very close to a busy highway. It didn’t bother us, but that’s just us, so your mileage may vary. It is literally right on top of the trail – five steps out the door and you’re on it.

In Santiago, our favorite hotel (we stayed there last year after doing the Frances, too), is the Hotel Costa Vella http://www.costavella.com/ Roberto, the proprietor, will do everything he can to make your stay enjoyable. Even if you don’t stay there, it has a beautiful garden area that can’t be beat which will help calm your mind after days of hiking.

It you consider doing the coastal Portuguese route it will be lovely that there will be the two of you to stop and admire the ocean and even dip a toe in the water! I did the coastal last year and although I love walking by myself, there were moments when I would have loved to have shared "Oh look at that!"
On a sensible note, just take into account that Pope Frances is visiting Fatima this year and it is being suggested that parts of the Portuguese camino could be busy this year?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here’s some information I previously posted about our experience going from Porto to Santiago in June/July of 2016. We actually started in southwestern Portugal on the Rota Vicentina, but I’ll skip all that except to say it’s fantastic! It took us 11 relatively easy days to go from Porto to Santiago - we’re both in our 60’s, also, so you shouldn’t have any problems.

Hi Ray J,
We are planning to do a portion of the Camino Portuguese next fall and were deciding whether to start in Porto or Ponte de Lima. Would you be willing to share your legs from Porto to Santiago? We are in our mid 50's and hoping not to do too long of a stretch each day.
Thanks

Hi Ray J,
We are planning to do a portion of the Camino Portuguese next fall and were deciding whether to start in Porto or Ponte de Lima. Would you be willing to share your legs from Porto to Santiago? We are in our mid 50's and hoping not to do too long of a stretch each day.
Thanks
This is how we did it. Some of the mileages (not kilometers!) might look like more than you want to do, but except as noted we didn't experience too many difficulties. (BTW, I rounded distances up - the actual mileages will probably be slightly less, depending upon where you stay.) Good luck!

Porto to Angeiras – 15 miles
  • Stop at the Turismo in Matosinhos – super helpful information. Pick up a very pleasant boardwalk here.
  • If you stay at the Orbitur Camping ground in Angeiras, mention you’re a pilgrim and you’ll get a big discounted rate.
  • If you haven’t seen it already, this is pretty cool:
Angeiras to Vila do Conde to Arcos – 14 Miles
  • Angeiras to Vila do Conde is very pleasant along the coast on a boardwalk. Past Vila do Conde, though, it’s the N309…lots of pavement, narrow (or non-existent) shoulders, semi-insane drivers, so beware.
Arcos to Barcelos – 12 miles
  • Nice easy day
Barcelos to Ponte de Lima – 20 miles
  • Not a bad 20-miler – just be sure to have enough water because it can be a long way between fill-ups.
Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes – 13 miles
  • The hilliest portion of the trip. Just when you think you’ve made it to the top, there’s more, but take your time and you’ll be fine.
Rubiaes to Valenca, Portugal/Tui, Spain – 11 miles
  • Easy day, exciting since it’s your last day in Portugal
Tui to Redondela – 20 miles
  • Beautiful trail. We went further than 20 miles due to where we stayed, but managed just fine.
  • I found this to be easier than the 20-miler into Ponte de Lima, but that might have been due to the difference in temperatures (90’ vs 75’) and being rested after staying two nights in Tui.
Redondela to Pontevedra – 12 miles
  • Great trail, lots of hills (that’s good, btw) and wooded areas.
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis – 14 miles

Caldas de Reis to Esclavitud – 12 miles
  • Awesome trail, nice woods
Esclavitud to Santiago de Compostela – 14 miles
  • Good trails, although more asphalt than I like

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back