• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended accommodation between Pamplona and Leon

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Have a friend starting mid August who is recovering from knee surgery.
We completed this section 6 years ago so have no idea on newer or private albergues and or pensions.

Her time factor nil :)
Distance per day 12 ----16km ideal , will do more if she can book ahead .
Cost , irrelevant .

Any recent evaluations of this section really appreciated .
Thanks ,
David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For a gentle start I would suggest Zariquiegui, the bar/albergue in town; Uterga after the downhill from the Alto del Perdon; then the Hostal Rural Bidean in Puenta de la Reina. All take reservations I believe, and it would be stages that would take it easy on the knee. Lengthen the day to Puente by going to Eunate. Once the knee is tested, you can stretch it out some with longer stages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The following three places located further west on the Camino Frances are relatively new, take reservations and are VERY comfortable; two are private albergues and one a bed and breakfast.

In Villatuerata the albergue Casa Magica has both dorms and private accommodation.
See >> http://alberguevillatuerta.com/

In Los Arcos the albergue Casa del Abuela also has both dorms and private accommodation.
See >> http://www.casadelaabuela.com/

Near Hornillos del Camino in Vilviestre de Muño the Casa Rural El Molino offers good food and comfortable private rooms. They will meet you on the CF and return you to the same spot next morning.
See >> http://molino.castrojeriz.tel/

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

+1 on Casa Magica in Villatuerta.

Refugio Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de la Rioja is similarly magical.

The Parador in Leon is fantastic and, housed in the original pilgrim hospital, teeming with authentic history and spiritual feel in addition to the luxurious furnishings. It is also incredibly cheap by US standards. I paid 120 euros and that was in the middle of the annual feria.

The Parador in Santo Domingo is similarly historic and costs even less (I padi 80 euros), although not quite as high quality, but still a nice change of pace.

Other than the two Paradors I have stayed in albergues and have no real complaints. In my experience, the camaraderie of the Camino and the hospitality of the Spanish locals quickly comes to dominate the experience and easily overwhelms what would in any case have been minor cares or concerns about lodging facilities. That in itself has been a useful lesson.

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Stayed in Albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui late May 2013, nice and very good dinner available, steep short climb into village and short steep descent leaving village so not a bad end of day location, meaning you'll have fresh legs in the morning for the descent.
Also stayed in Casa de la Abuela albergue in Los Arcos, owner will give you laundry bag and put your clothes through the washing machine for just 50 cent, WiFi available.
The Hotel 'La Cachava' in Castrojeriz I can recommend, very nice rooms, about €38 for single occupancy of twin room and for dinner, 'La Taberna' about 100 metres away was one of my most pleasant camino meals.
Parador San Marcos if your budget allows, €90 for single occupancy of twin room, breakfast included, would have my strong recommendation.

Regards

Seamus

In Burgos, there is a AC Marriott about 50 yards from the main entrance to the main plaza. Enjoy.

I too recommend La Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos, Casa Mágica in Villatuerta, Acacio y Orietta in Vilora La Rioja, also La Casa del Peregrino Emmaus in Burgos ( not in the town centre, but well worth staying there). Albergue Maratlox in Ciraqui was also good, especially their cozy cellar where they serve dinner). And then there is Libranos Domini in Rabe de las Calzadas and En el Camino in Boadilla del Camino for good atmosphere! Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Everyone,
Using my brothers address here and just updating,

First night after the long flight
Pension Escaray , Pamplona [ David stayed there previously and the room is 20e/single]
Thanks Falcon for Zariquiegui , can do the 13km after a good sleep [they were very helpful and humerous when i rang and booked ]

It then looks like Obanos and the Villatuerta .
If knee sore, Cirauqui.

I just hope i can use the previously recommended places.
They are all wonderful , have been noted and will just see how things work out.
Some are too close and i will have to make a decision when walking.

* Does anyone know about Villamayor de Monjardin ?? as i might have to stay between Villatuerta and Los Arcos.

Many thanks for all your recommendations ,
Genevieve.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked from mid-April to late May this year and highly recommend the Dutch-run alberquerque in Villamayor de Munjardin (which had a truly sensational home cooked communal meal with lots of vegetables), La Pata de Oca in Torres del Rio with its tiny swimming pool, the two person, bunkless rooms at the Azofra albergue. Also the one attached to the hotel in Villafranca, on the way to San Juan de Ortega. And the Parador in Leon...when I was there, it cost 75 euros and included breakfast and a bathtub!

The following three places located further west on the Camino Frances are relatively new, take reservations and are VERY comfortable; two are private albergues and one a bed and breakfast.

In Villatuerata the albergue Casa Magica has both dorms and private accommodation.
See >> http://alberguevillatuerta.com/

In Los Arcos the albergue Casa del Abuela also has both dorms and private accommodation.
See >> http://www.casadelaabuela.com/

Near Hornillos del Camino in Vilviestre de Muño the Casa Rural El Molino offers good food and comfortable private rooms. They will meet you on the CF and return you to the same spot next morning.
See >> http://molino.castrojeriz.tel/

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Margaret, do you know if they have a website for Casa Rural El Molino? Or must you call?Do they speak English?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annie,

Alhough the El Molino is not listed in either Gronze nor Eroski try this website link.

When I was there in 2009 I chatted in French/English with the hosts.
Below is my Forum post re that visit.

"Here is a GREAT casa rurale possibility, El Molino del Camino, in Vilviestre de Muño, near Hornillos del Camino which is west of Burgos on the Meseta. The scenery is splendid. See http://molino.castrojeriz.tel/ This is a handsome and most comfortable bed and breakfast with good food in a renovated water mill. If you telephone they will pick you up on the Camino and bring you back to the same spot next morning. I happily stayed there in February 2009 when the Hornillos albergue was closed for badly needed basic renovation."

Buen camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back