• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended Accommodations on Camino Le Puy

Florida Bill

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 did Frances and plan to Le Puy in 2023
For my stay in Le Puy before beginning my walk of Camino Le Puy I haven’t made plans as to where I’m going to stay and restaurant(s) I will eat at. I plan to stay in Le Puy a day if not two. My general plan is to stay in Demi-pensions for most stages unless I learn of a really good restaurant in the village I’m gong to be staying in. For my stay in Le Puy I’m open to suggestions of places I should stay at and restaurants I should eat at to experience really good French cuisine. Or maybe there is a Demi-pension that has dinners as good as I will get at any restaurant in Le Puy. Please offer your recommendations. Also, if were to spend an extra day at say at four villages along the Camino Le Puy which four villages would you recommend? And I read where some farms offer Demi-pension. Can someone tell me where along Camino Le Puy you can find such farms and their names and if possible contact information?
Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Le Puy section on this forum has ample info, also there are FB pages dedicated to the Le Puy Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If your budget can stand it, this restaurant is a real culinary experience (about a km from Conques).

As to the villages worth a "rest day", I would highly recommend you do the variant route through the Célé Valley and spend a day at Caberets so you can visit the caves at Pech Merle, which was probably THE highlight of our entire trek through France. You will need to book your visit in advance as the number of visitors allowed into the cave is limited.

Regarding a day or so in Le Puy, there are many very nice restaurants in the town so a Demi-pension there is probably a waste.

Hi @Florida Bill Bonjour

I last walked the Camino Le Puy in 2014 so I won't offer any specific recommendations for accommodation and good places to eat in Le Puy en Velay - but there are many. Others with more recent experience may chime in. But I could offer an idea for your research.

The Gronze website is a great resource - for many caminos - with information on distances, elevations and accommodation along the path including pricing, number and configuration of beds, facilities, contact details and, where applicable, links to websites and bookingdotcom

Here is the link to the section on the Camino Le Puy from Le Puy en Velay through to SJPP.

It's in Spanish, but if you open in Chrome browser you can translate easily to English.

You could start with that and investigate some of the places listed to see what appeals. Also, you will see there is an icon which shows where demi-pensione is available. DP is frequently offered on the Camino Le Puy, and especially in villages where there are no other facilities. Many people, including me, will tell you that the food offered at the gites is one of the many highlights of the Camino Le Puy.

Enjoy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For my stay in Le Puy before beginning my walk of Camino Le Puy I haven’t made plans as to where I’m going to stay and restaurant(s) I will eat at. I plan to stay in Le Puy a day if not two. My general plan is to stay in Demi-pensions for most stages unless I learn of a really good restaurant in the village I’m gong to be staying in. For my stay in Le Puy I’m open to suggestions of places I should stay at and restaurants I should eat at to experience really good French cuisine. Or maybe there is a Demi-pension that has dinners as good as I will get at any restaurant in Le Puy. Please offer your recommendations. Also, if were to spend an extra day at say at four villages along the Camino Le Puy which four villages would you recommend? And I read where some farms offer Demi-pension. Can someone tell me where along Camino Le Puy you can find such farms and their names and if possible contact information?
Thank you
Bonjour Florida Bill,
I can answer all of the questions you ask, no probs, but that’s hours of work to list all the villages and towns on the Le Puy route with recommendations of where to stay, where to eat, et al. If you can refine the list of possible stopping points I will happily give you some ideas based on my experience. In fact, if you care to search back through discussion topics in this forum I am sure you will find some recommended gîtes d’étape and chambre-d’hôtes that will meet your criteria.

When you mention "Farms" you may be thinking of "Chambre d'Hotes" (pronounced shamber-doh). These are essentially Bed & Breakfasts, but they also serve dinner.

I stayed at several of these. Some of the ones I stayed at were out-of-town in more farm-like settings, but I didn't get the sense they were large working farms.

I loved staying at Chambre d'Hotes. Usually you'll have a table of 6-10 people and a home-cooked meal by the owner. Often the owner eats with you. These were some of my favorite meals and stays. Chambre d'Hotes are more expensive than Gités, though.

I agree with others that there are a million good food options, so it's hard to advise. The food in France was consistently excellent. I can say one of my favorite towns and meals was Lauzerte. I had my own room at "Hotel le Quercy" on the lower edge of town, and they had a multi-course meal for hotel guests that was fantastic. (Lentil/vegetable soup, salad with duck and fruit, entree of lamb and vegetables, flan for dessert and great wine.)

FWIW... There are a couple listing of lodgings here on the Forum (one from Dave Whitson author of Cicerone guide). I used those to find places to stay. You can easily spot the Chambre d'Hotes by their name.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back