• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended Alburgues from Leon to Santiago

nettersweet

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July (2013)
Hello,
Leaving for my first Camino with my daughter in 12 days. We'll be starting in Leon. I've seen many posts of "Albergues not to be missed", but currently do not have a sense of where these are (and I'm just beginning to familiarize myself with the route). Could anyone speak to their favorite Albergue between Leon and Santiago, and indicate where it is located? Thanks so much!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nettersweet:

I would recommend you do not try to plan your Camino on Albergue stops. Most Pilgrims Albergue experiences, imo, are driven by the Company they are with, the Hospitalera/o, setting, season etc. Many times your Physical condition, weather etc. will determine your stops. I suggest you just let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

Click on the List of stages and all albergues next to the stars toward the top of every page, and you will get ratings on everything. The more stars the more forum members liked the place. They may have liked some eclectic places, so it is not a guide to modernity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found those operated by the Xunta in Galacia to be consistent in terms of upkeep and services provided.

I am thinking of starting from Leon too. How many days are you planning?

I'm on the Camino from Leon to Santiago now. I originally budgeted 13-14 days, but I would have liked to have 2 or 3 more days just to rest in between. The from Mazaeife to Ocinriero it's a tough couple of stages and it kicks your but right out f the gate since you're not used to walking that much physically. Of you can manage not to get blisters I think it's doable, but to be on the safe side, give yourself 15 days for walking Leon to Santiago to make sure that if you need a rest day (or 2) you have the time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ChrisMO said:
I am thinking of starting from Leon too. How many days are you planning?
I'm thinking 15 days with the expectation that I'm going to need to go slow given my middle age and not-in-the-best-but-not-the-worst-either physical condition. But I really have no way to gauge this - I'm basing it off what I've read from other people's posts. I could be totally off. Buen Camino to you! Maybe we'll meet on the way, although I understand that hundreds of others will be there too :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Here are some favorites from Leon to Santiago:

Hospital de Orbigo, Albergue Verde or Albergue San Miguel
Rabanal del Camino, Gualcelmo
Foncebadon, Monte Irago
Pieros, El Serbal y Lena
Trabadelo, El Puente Peregrino (a pension, not an albergue, but an excellent upgrade opportunity)
Ruiltelan, Portalo Pequeno
La Faba, the German-run one
Fonfria (only one there)
A Balsa, Albergue Ecologico El Beso
Sarria, O'Durminiento
Vilacha, Casa Banderas
Pedrouza, Porta de Santiago

If you have a map of the Camino, you can follow the route to find each of these towns.

Buen Camino!

BTW, I stayed at all of these in the past year, so this is a current report.

nreyn12 said:
Here are some favorites from Leon to Santiago:

Hospital de Orbigo, Albergue Verde or Albergue San Miguel
Rabanal del Camino, Gualcelmo
Foncebadon, Monte Irago
Pieros, El Serbal y Lena
Trabadelo, El Puente Peregrino (a pension, not an albergue, but an excellent upgrade opportunity)
Ruiltelan, Portalo Pequeno
La Faba, the German-run one
Fonfria (only one there)
A Balsa, Albergue Ecologico El Beso
Sarria, O'Durminiento
Vilacha, Casa Banderas
Pedrouza, Porta de Santiago

If you have a map of the Camino, you can follow the route to find each of these towns.

Buen Camino!

BTW, I stayed at all of these in the past year, so this is a current report.

WOW - thank you so much! This is fantastic! I'm aware that I may not be able to stay in some of these places because of potential pacing and the recent "completo" phenomenon due to overcrowding on the Camino (weird concept to even think about), but it is really great to know about these places and I'm hoping I can indeed land in some of them. I really appreciate the recommendations!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back