• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended days to spend at Santiago & Fisterra

jlkirbee

Is one day in Santiago enough before continuing to Fisterra? Or should I stay an extra day to enjoy the city!?

Also how many days do most people spend in Fisterra before leaving?

Lastly! I need to get to Rome after the Camino, what is the best way to go about that? (Flight/Train) and please be detailed from Fisterra --> Rome (Whether I have to go through Santiago, to Madrid, etc)

Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would spend more than a day in Santiago. Depending where you started from it may have taken many days and much effort to get there; why be in a hurry to leave.

The tourist office on Rua de Vilar is a goldmine of what is available to see and do - I have even been to a classical concert on a Thursday night!

There are at least two museums worth a visit. One is the old Bishop's palace which is an annex to the Cathedral and there is a pilgrim museum, whose address escapes me but the tourist office will tell you - if somebody here doesn't.

There are some lovely parks, with one giving great views of the Cathedral. The tourist office provide a great map.

You can bus to and from Monte de Gozo (5€ per night and a 1€ bus ride each way in December 2010)or stay at the Seminaro Minor for three nights, though you have to clear the building by 10.00am, taking your rucksack with you. A bit of a pain but worth it for the cheapness. 10€ per night in 2009.

The crypt where the coffin of Santiago is contained may be open for a brief Mass from 8.30 am.

Pilgrims you have passed will be arriving all the time and there is a great street cafe culture in the city.

The only way out of Finisterre is by bus - the SDC tourist office have a timetable. It is a very small town and half a day will probably be enough for you to see all there is to see. The lighthouse at the end of the world is 3km from the town.

Others will advise the best way to get to Rome but it might be worth looking at SDC to London Stanstead with Ryanair and seeing if you can get a cheap flight to Rome from there. I would only do that if it is the cheapest option as it is not the shotest route!!

If I was to continue to Finisterre I would do it right a way - staying only one night in SDC. But if not walking to Finisterre I would say 2-3 nights in SDC is enough - I would have time to enjoy the city, see the sights, spent as many hours as I need in the Obradoiro seeing all the pilgrims reaching SDC and the Cathedral.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Part of the joy of Santiago is meeting again the pilgrims you met along the way. Some who were ahead of you will still be there, and the ones behind you will be arriving. After two days, this particular joy will be gone. All the faces will be new faces. If you press on to Finisterre immediately, you meet only those who continue with you, a small percentage of the hundreds you have met. It is a bitter-sweet choice to make if you are traveling solo. I still have not grown tired of Santiago after repeated visits.

Hi if you've the time I'd spend at least 2 days in Santiago but whether before you set off to Finisterre or after you return is probably something best decided on once you've arrived in SDC. I'd recommend one whole day to enjoy the beach at Finisterre-it's the very best therapy for aching muscles and sore feet :D .
Nell

Thanks to everybody for the help you guys are given to us "the new one's". I am learning every day something new. I got my ticket already and if everything goes right I will be in Sarria September 23 to start walking the following day. Been my "first time" make me nervous, but I am preparing myself (walking every day 12-18 kilometers.) One more time "gracias".

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Initially I would spend one day in Santiago and then on the following morning continue to Finisterre via Muxia (it is one day longer than walking directly to Finisterre which most pilgrims seem to do)

Both beaches at Finisterre and Muxia are great to spend some extra time. If you walk to Muxia you can also receive a 3rd compostela too

If you arrive early in Santiago (before 9.00am) you have time to take in the noon Mass and then you have the afternoon to take in some sites.

Later upon your return to Santiago, I would recommend taking as much as you prefer to see the sites, etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back