• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended food and restaurants along the Central Portuguese

astridrosekiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Starting the Central route from Porto to Santiago in September. Am a foodie and looking for recommendations of great cafes, bars and restaurants along the way. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The thing I recall from the Portuguese Camino was the dufficulty in finding a place open for coffee in the morning. Why do so many cafes on the Portuguese not open until 0900?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The thing I recall from the Portuguese Camino was the dufficulty in finding a place open for coffee in the morning. Why do so many cafes on the Portuguese not open until 0900?
Because people are mellow there. Some of the warmest and kindest people anywhere. My memory may be fading (well it is haha) but I do not remember having problems having coffee or a snack on the CP in 2017. I guess if you are on the Camino now and the temps are really hot people are getting a really early start. When I can't find coffee early I just have a banana or something in my bag, forget about it and start walking. Before I know it I have either found a place or I just remind myself how lucky I am to be on the Camino and just say f*%k it something will appear sooner or later.
When It comes to food just ask for a recommendation or point to something someone else is eating that looks good or interesting.

Oysters in Arcade, peppers in Padron. Bacalhau (salt cod) anywhere and everywhere. Caldo gallego (traditional galician green soup), empanadas (pies) in Pontevedra. Pulpo (octopus) in Padron (think it was a Saturday market where we found a number of pulperias- the like of which we had not experienced before...)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Starting the Central route from Porto to Santiago in September. Am a foodie and looking for recommendations of great cafes, bars and restaurants along the way. Thank you!
I don't have the Camino but I do have two Portuguese cities, Lisbon and O Porto.
For Lisbon see: https://goo.gl/maps/2J6PmWqLijFaLvtj7
For O Porto see: https://goo.gl/maps/qHnmHLTTUcdZwEbXA

The lists are mixed with accommodation and food recommendations.

Whenever I am visiting my Portuguese friends they are always keen to have me sample Portuguese pastries. They swear that they are the best in the World.

The restaurant over the road from the albergue in Vila Do Conde has good food and the best chocolate mousse in the Iberian peninsula. The bar almost next door and on the same side of the street to the albergue does a good pilgrim's meal.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To make us appreciate it all the more.

I can’t remember where but I had the best octopus, interesting and tasty tiny snails, and all kinds of fish. There was one fish that became my favourite but I’m sorry I can’t recall it’s name.
Don’t recall having one bad meal and many amazing ones. We just turned up.
And of course Pastéis de Nata.

Order the pilgrims meal and "un vino tinto" and just go with the flow of what you are served!

That sounds like an amazing journey you're embarking on from Porto to Santiago! And the idea of ordering the pilgrim's meal and "un vino tinto" is just perfect – embracing the local flavors and going with the flow

That sounds like an amazing journey you're embarking on from Porto to Santiago! And the idea of ordering the pilgrim's meal and "un vino tinto" is just perfect – embracing the local flavors and going with the flow.

As you're a foodie, do you have any must-try spots or hidden gems along the way? Also, if you come across any great brunch near me during your travels, feel free to share the love!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back